Chapter 19 – Being a Gentleman is Bad!
159 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Maybe it was because I was in a great mood for the next two weeks that my training progressed at the speed of light.

I was filled with inextinguishable energy and I could even avoid the obstacles that Sir Leonidas would use to end my lineage with the visionmaster 100. Without the help of my hand, I might add!

I was definitely proud and was prouder once I landed a blow on Teacher who was so stupefied, he ‘accidentally’ released silver rank powers and blew me far away.

I suppose it was in compensation that the devil has given us a half-day today.

Or it might just be because of the unwelcome visitor he was facing.

“James.” said our teacher, coolly.

“Leonidas.” the man replied, coldly.

“What are you here in my little prison for?”

Looking around in distaste, Sir James sniffed.

His eyes falling on me and Sia, he smiled kindly before saying, “Why don’t you children go out for a while? I need to have a talk with your dear teacher,” He said, heavy sarcasm dripping from his voice.

Puzzled, I looked at Sia, who was equally lost when the Teacher spoke.

“Go! Tomorrow, same time, but for now, enjoy yourself he said,” waving his hands and throwing us a pouch.

Catching hold of it, I found it was quite heavy, but without opening it; I tucked it into my belt and left with Sia.

Scratching my head once we reached outside, I looked at Sia with a “what do we do now look?”

To which, a slow smile spread across her face and she said, “Shall we go see Draconis?”

Breaking into a grin, I nodded affirmatively, “10 minutes, meet you outside your room?”

“Done!”

So we parted ways, and I got dressed in considerably looser pants and shirts that lay comfortably on my body that had grown quite a bit - 2 cm to be precise!

Yes, Sir, I am now 132 cm’s and I am a beast in human form!

Do-Don’t look down upon me. I’ll have you know that my ultimate form will exhaust your strength at no cost to me!

Anyway, I had learned my lesson from the last time we went to visit Sia’s Avia.

I would take care of my appearance and do all sorts of things like comb my hair and such.

I still don’t know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion it’s because I enjoy seeing Sia smile.

Speaking of which, she’s smiling now and Bal, I overdressed.

“Armor?” I asked.

“Armor!” she confirmed.

“Armor!” I exclaimed, groaning.

“Armor!” she exclaimed, laughing.

Giving off a long-suffering sigh, I took a few steps before mustering my courage and looking her in the eye.

Only to feel weak in my knees.

Quizzically, she looked at me.

Breathing erratically, I spoke, “Can you... change? That pouch Leonidas threw? It’s got a lot of money in it. I thought we’d go shopping - if that’s alright with you?”

Silently, she scanned my face and, seeing the sincerity writ all over my honest face, beamed and nodded.

A few minutes later, we were out on the red-tiled streets of Draconis city, just two among the thousands that thronged the wide streets, walking with purpose or idling with glee.

To the right and left of the streets, carriages ran in lanes marked by white lines to keep them in order.

The left side was for carriages going upwards, and the right side was for carriages coming downwards.

There would be small alcoves where the absence of a house could be noticed, and in which they would set vacant carriages and small stalls up.

Those would be the way-stations and grabbing Sia’s hand, I took her to a vacant carriage resting in one of the way-stations.

Getting in, I told the carriage driver - “All the way to the plaza, main street at all times, please!”

Smiling good-naturedly, the driver tipped his hat to Sia and nodded to me before deftly maneuvering the carriage into the flow of other carriages.

Clip clopping slowly, we serenely watched Draconis City’s boulevard pass by us slowly.

We would ask the driver to pull into alcoves on the way so that we could observe the big name shops and guilds of the city, shops such as the “Monster’s emporium”, “The hero's adventurer guild”, “The forges of Protos”, and the like.

Nearly an hour later, we arrived at the plaza, a massive square filled with hawkers and couples who had gathered around the fountain in the middle of the square.

Lying flush against the plaza was the great mountain range of the 10,000 peaks that girdled the city of Draconis on both sides, forming an impenetrable barrier.

Alighting from the carriage and paying the Driver 1 silver, I thanked him and, grabbing Sia’s hand naturally, began strolling around.

If it was me having to pay the silver from my pocket money, I would have cried since 1 silver was quite a good sum of money, enough for a family to live on for a few days.

But since it was the Teacher who was being so generous, I had no qualms.

Speaking of money, the system in Protos is quite simple, really.

We have coins known as Protons, divided into copper, silver, and gold.

100 copper is 1 silver. 100 silver is 1 gold.

Leonidas had generously given us 100 silver, making it 1 gold in total.

I think the devil must have gotten his copper pouch, and silver pouch confused.

Of course, this means that I have to spend every bit of money that I can.

Chances like these come rarely, after all!

Grinning in happiness, I strolled amongst the stalls - looking around with great interest.

The goods put up on sale were all the things that the owners thought would interest others but the owners didn’t have the money to set up permanent shops, so they came to hawk their wares in the plaza that was free and safe, policed as it were by the guards of the Draykes who roamed about in their livery of blue on black with a white stripe denoting their status as city guards.

The guards were usually tough men that had awakened and were led by a patrol captain who was usually iron ranked, enough to take care of the usual trouble that plagued any city.

But should anyone get feisty, then the silver rank guards would arrive within a few minutes and make sure that the offender loses their zest for living.

“Faust,” Sia called out.

Turning, I looked to where she was pointing, only to see a shop selling roasted fish whose smell was drifting tantalizingly towards us.

Tugging her towards the shop, I called out to the owner, a heavy-set lady with fierce eyebrows, “Miss, 2 skewers please!”

Softening visibly at the use of Miss, the lady immediately rustled up 2 skewers and handed them to me and Sia with a smile.

“10 coppers!”

Handing over the money, I happily ate the skewers with Sia, who had been drooling the entire time the skewers were being made.

Seeing how fast Sia was inhaling, discreetly I signaled to the lady for another two skewers while I gave my own to Sia, who hesitated and then, blushing, took it and devoured it.

Just as she finished, I got the other two skewers and gave both to Sia.

“What about you Faust?” she asked.

I smiled and gestured to the vast plaza, and then pointed at the sun.

Happily, she took both the skewers, and then I suddenly realized that I couldn’t hold her hand now.

Bal, why did I have to be so nice!

Ahhh!

Looking at my unhappy face, Sia immediately swallowed one whole skewer without blinking and then grabbed my hand, grease and all.

Grinning broadly, I set off with her on our exploration again.

Soon we had haggled with many stall keepers over their “treasures”.

I had picked up an ultimate treasure that was round and gleamed dully.

It turned out to be a dung ball that had been polished and covered with a layer of lacquered clay.

The way I found out?

When It fell and smashed on my boots, releasing the god-awful scent of dung that had not been dried properly enough.

Standing near the fountain barefoot, I scrubbed my shoe with a bucket of water purchased from another hawker nearby, while Sia absentmindedly gazed at the statue of the woman in the middle of the fountain.

“Faust, do you think Falka exists?”

“I think she does!” I replied, busy scrubbing away.

“Is that so?” she said, sadly

“Hmm-whatsup?” I asked as I raised my head.

“Nothing, it’s just…”

Looking encouragingly at her, I motioned for her to continue.

“It’s just that I’ve prayed so many times to her, but I’ve never gotten a response…,” she said slowly.

Abandoning my shoe, I rinsed my hands with water and then standing beside Sia, took out 1 silver and placed it on her palm and closed my hand around hers.

Blinking, she looked at me.

“Make a wish,” I said.

“Faust….”

“Make a wish,” I insisted.

So she closed her eyes and made a wish.

Then I blew on our intertwined hands and lightly moving them, sent the silver coin flying into the air - where it sparkled for a moment - before falling into the fountain water to join the rest of the coins that lay there.

“There! Your wish will definitely come true this time!” I said confidently.

Looking at me gently, Sia said, “I think so too!”

I enjoyed this chapter while writing it and I'm chuckling as I read it now.

What about you?

Discord link: https://discord.gg/wh743tDTnZ

6