Chapter 133 – Purchased with Gold and Blood
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing outside the six story shop again, and rubbing my behind, which could remember the last time that I visited, I hastily unsummoned my sword.

Striding in, I looked around near the entrance and finding the items that I was looking for; I quickly approached the attendant and paid a total of 35 gold after some strenuous haggling, despite which I was still unsure of whether I was the winner… or the loser.

Pausing, I asked the attendant whether he knew of any painters of good repute in the city and he looked back at me, before silently pointing upward.

Blushing, I thanked him and began moving to the second floor, which I had never visited before in the time that I’d been in Yamal.

Ascending, I stopped admiringly as a veritable vista of easels, paints, brushes, and the paintings themselves unfolded in front of me.

Standing there for a long moment, I approached an attendant who was looking at me with a knowing smile.

Smiling back at him, I greeted him and asked him where I could find a painter, at which he led me to a large anteroom where elegantly robed men sat.

Looking on in awe, I saw their brushes dip into the paint pots and gently leave a trail of color on the canvas that they were painting on. A few brush strokes later, and the images that they were drawing became clearer and clearer.

I could see solitary trees standing proud. I could see multiple trees waving together in a breeze. I could see beasts with all of their ferocity conveyed through the medium of the canvas.

Nodding, I knew I was in the right place after all.

Speaking to the man whom the attendant had brought, I described what I wanted and passed him two items after hesitating for a good time.

Insisting that I would wait, I watched as the man approached one of the seated people, a woman, who looked at me appraisingly before nodding.

As I watched on with bated breath as my commission was carried out, night fell, but the lady did not stop her work for even a moment.

A few hours later, I bowed deeply to the tired lady who smiled at me in return, and I walked out of the shop… poorer again by 30 gold more and the two items firmly back in my possession.

So far, I had spent 65 gold in the shop, for a total of 165 gold in barely a day.

Gulping, I headed off to my last destination for the day, or I should say a new day; for the light of dawn was peeking through the veil of darkness that was the night.

Stretching, for I had been sitting still the whole time that the lady painted, I counted the days since I had gone to the forest of death.

Satisfied that Sia would only be leaving the next day to find me, I went to the market, and I purchased a huge pile of materials that I planned on using for a variety of different things for the future that I could think up to.

Finished with that, I was left with a little over 100 gold with me, and I finally turned my footsteps toward home.

My temporary home.

Our Hoard.

Standing outside the gate, I noticed a conspicuous heavy feeling hanging over the Hoard.

Heart sinking, I walked in and was greeted by the sight of the bloodied mercenary troop as they sat exhausted in a huddle.

Running now, I saw Aaron wincing as he held his side, which Dr. Cratus was expertly tending to with deft needle work while the rest of the Hoard’s people were clustered to the side as they stood woodenly.

Skidding to a stop beside the mercenary troop, and without saying anything, I took out my own needles and began treating the rest of the wounded as Dr. Cratus glanced over and quickly filled me in on their injuries.

A long time later, we were done as I stitched up the last stitch for Teacher, who had stoically sat without making a single sound as I sutured his arm, which had been savaged by what seemed to be a beast.

Heaving a sigh of relief, and falling back on my rump, I gazed at the Mercenary troop as the blood and filth were cleaned from them by the rest of the people of the Hoard.

Looking around, I saw that Sia wasn’t there, and my heart sank further before Dr. Cratus spoke. “It’s alright. I sent that girl to get the other doctor once he was done, but he’s probably still finishing up on his side as the number of wounded this time is…” he trailed off as he shook his head helplessly.

Just at that moment, Sia came running through the gate and paused as she saw me, while behind her, tired footsteps sounded out before the other doctor came through.

The other doctor smiled a weary smile at seeing me, before he turned and began speaking to Dr Cratus, whose expression sank as he listened.

Meanwhile, Sia came and sat down beside me with her head lowered in sadness.

Holding her hand and squeezing it as she shot a wan smile at me, I spoke out loud, “Can anybody tell me what happened?”

Heads turned to me, before my brother levelly gazed around and spoke, “You all know that we fight alongside the Golden Blades. The Golden Blades are currently engaged in a massive fight over the control of our side of the expanse against the wildlings at the insistence of the Merchari Empire.”

Shrugging his shoulders and pointing wryly to the mercenary troop members, he said, “As you can see, the fight isn’t going too well.”

Murmurs ran through the crowd as they whispered amongst each other, and the mood was heavy and dark.

Letting go of Sia’s hand, and shielding my eyes against the sun; I rose as everyone fell silent, a gloomy look in their eyes.

Walking to the main door of the Hoard, I broke into a run and jumped to the tiles directly above it.

Ignoring the puzzled glances that were thrown my way, I took out two of the items that I had commissioned the painter lady to create, and unfurling it, I hung it proudly on either side of the gate.

For a moment, there was hushed silence. Then people began standing taller, prouder, and the look in their eyes became one of valiance as they stared on.

While the banner of the Draykes danced in the wind dominatingly.

The sapphire blue banner with the black dragon breathing flames on an upright spear flew on soil that was not the Kingdom of Leon’s - unbowed.

And as I scarpered like a monkey to various spots of the Hoard, more and more banners were unfurled until the Heraldry announced the Hoard to the world as belonging to the Draykes.

Emotionally, everybody stood with ramrod straight backs as someone began singing the Flight of The Draykes.

Joining in lustily from on top of the tiles, I faced the sun and sang on.

“We cry! We weep! We laugh! We love! We live! We Rage! We fight! We Die! We set the world alight!”

And we will do so, no matter where we are. No matter what price we have to pay.

For we are Draykes.

What do you think of the chapter? Comment down below and let me know!

Much love to you Horizonators,

Stay safe, stay happy, and enjooy the chapter!

Cheers!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

1