Chapter 136 – Tidying Up (Part 2)
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reaching Yamal a few hours before noon, I walked straight to the library.

Heading inside, I found the huge bulk of Alden already seated on a chair facing toward me.

Not surprised anymore at the man’s intuition that used to terrify me at the start of my job, I sat opposite him and we stared at each other for a moment.

Breaking it, he said, “You’re leaving, aren’t you?”

Nodding, I replied, “I’m joining the Page Academy, and I won’t be allowed outside, apparently. So, I won’t be able to work here anymore.”

Ponderously, Alden got to his feet and then abruptly said, “You have those coppers?”

Puzzled, I took out the coppers which I had kept aside from my money pouch since it was a running joke between us.

Pinching all 5 of the coppers in between his fingers, he smiled at me, and then his hands blurred and the copper coins disappeared - to be replaced by a silver coin.

Tossing it to me, he said, “Keep it. It’s a special coin that you might be able to spend one day in the future.”

Puzzled, I examined the coin. It was just a pure silver coin with a sword etched on either side surrounded by 5 golden stars.

Putting it away, I hugged the big guy and bid him farewell as he chuckled and patted my back, my arms barely reaching his waist despite my significant height increase.

Then, I trotted over to the tailor’s shop where Sia worked, and I thanked the couple for taking care of us and teaching us how to sew.

Leaving a pile of materials that I had purchased earlier as a gift, I waved goodbye to them.

Then, I headed to the inn where I handed the cook a tome containing all the recipes that I could remember, scribbled as time had passed while I worked at the inn.

Separating myself from the cook, who was reluctant to let go, I thanked the manager of the Inn too, and then set off for the hospital.

Seeing Dr Cratus as soon as I stepped in, I moved forward and tapped him on the shoulder.

As he jumped up, I was about to speak, when his face lit up and he excitedly said, “It’s good that you’ve come. We’re short handed again, and I was just waiting for the other doctor to perform a surgery. Come, Come!”

And he set off in front of me, and falling silent, I trailed behind and a long two hours later, apron covered in blood; I stood exhausted as I washed my hands clean of blood that seemed to never wash off fully.

I was about to reach for a towel when one was handed to me, and Dr Cratus, with a gruff voice, said, “Thank you, boy. You’ve been a real lifesaver for me and the patients here.”

Grinning, I shook my head as I asked, “You know?”

Impatiently, he snorted as he said, “Of course I know. That old monster doesn’t let anyone leave once they enter, and I knew that you would head there as soon as you reached iron rank. In fact, I’m surprised it took you so long to come here.”

Raising my hands, I said, “I would have come here earlier, but I had to go Maeqil.”

“Sir Galen?” Dr Cratus asked.

“Sir Galen.” I replied.

“What happens to your training now?” Dr Cratus asked as he splashed water on his face.

“Sir Galen asked me to meet a person named Liam. Said he was his disciple in the academy.”

“Liam, huh? He’s a good chap. Better than me in the medical skills,” Dr Cratus said frankly as he held out a box to me.

Motioning for me to accept it, I reached out and took the box. Opening it, I gasped as the inside of the box was full of medical equipment. Needles, rolls of wire and twine, absorbent bandages that could be reused, and all sorts of other equipment.

“For me?” I asked in disbelief.

Snorting, the man asked in turn, “Do you see anybody else here?”

“But I haven’t worked for the entire year with you,” I said weakly.

“But you worked harder than most people do for the entire year with me,” the doctor said bullishly.

Closing the box, I took in a deep breath as I bowed to the doctor. “I might not be an official disciple of yours, but you have taught me much. Please accept this bow from me!”

Chuckling, he helped me up as he spoke softer than I’ve heard him ever speak before, “Alright boy. Don’t embarrass me further. It’s been good having you here, but you have more places that you have to be at.”

He was about to shoo me off, when he paused and said, “Don’t expect life under Liam to be easy.”

Confused, I looked at the doctor, who understood as he spoke. “You think an academy won’t have any patients, right?”

Nodding, I said, “It’s an academy, right?”

Growing serious, the doctor said, “You know who the Golden Blades are, right?”

“Yes, they’re the remnants of Eos.” I said.

“Exactly. That’s why this academy is their training grounds for the young. They train warriors. And warriors bleed.” the doctor said grimly.

Etching his words in my mind, I bowed one more time, and went toward my next halt.

The adventurer’s guild.

Greeting Farrah, I explained where I was going, and how I wouldn’t be able to take on contracts.

Hearing that, a strange look came into Farrah’s eyes as he stared at me.

Puzzled, I asked, “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Oh, so you don’t know!” Farrah said, as he snickered.

“Know what?” I asked, even more puzzled.

Shaking his head, Farrah stayed silent no matter what I said, and then he shooed me off when more adventurers began streaming into the guild and the reception grew busy.

Moving next door, I greeted Norton, whose face was blackened with soot as he bent over, fiddling with something.

Not wanting to know what it was, I kept a cautious distance away, and I promised to get him more spider corpses should I ever find them in the future, at which, satisfied; He tossed me one of the things he was working on.

Catching it, I raised my eyebrows as he coolly said, “Poison. Numbs people if you slather it on your blade. But be careful that you don’t touch it yourself.”

Gingerly keeping it away, I thanked the man, and then I headed straight to the Hoard.

Having a quick bath, I looked at my room, which had been stripped bare of everything.

Cataloguing everything I had, I spoke out.

“3 gold 17 silver and some change left in available money.

Supplies for a year kept at the ready.

Materials to carry out ideas are ample.

Clothes enough to change one outfit per day, should they be destroyed - purchased.

Armor and weapons are enough to last me for a long time indeed.

Special items, obtained.”

Finishing, I looked at my finite ring which had all my possessions and which, even at 100 meters, was sixty percent full.

Then I let out a breath and then went to greet Sir Patrick, who was still standing guard at the Hoard.

While thanking him, I accidentally called him an old man, and for a moment; I thought I was baling going to die as his aura flared.

Then, with a resigned look, he just waved me off as his aura receded. Marveling at Aaron’s bravery in continuing to call the man an old man, I headed to each of the occupants of the Hoard and bid them goodbye.

Then, I paused at the last door, and was in the process of making myself look presentable by combing my hair; when the door opened and Sia caught a look at me, hand in my hair and an awkward expression on my face.

Laughing, she asked, “Is it time?”

Laughing and letting my hand fall down, I replied, “It’s time.”

Reaching out and holding her proffered hand, I smiled as we walked out of the Hoard and into the city, straight to a large arch which served as a gate with a few words written in large powerful strokes.

Yamal Academy.

Exchanging glances with Sia, we stepped forward.

To another new part in our lives.

This time, I can say with 100% certainty that the next chapter begins the new arc. Apologies for the confusion caused before!

Also, the new arc? It's not going to be what you expect at all. I guarantee it :D

Much love to you Horizonators,

Stay safe, stay happy, and enjooy!

Cheers!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

2