Chapter 143 – Another Day
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up before the sun rose and I closed my eyes again as the memories of the previous day crashed into me.

Reluctantly opening them again, I reached out my hand for a lightstone, only to curse as I remembered that I had been robbed by the baling academy.

Waiting in the pitch black darkness for my eyes to adjust again, I pondered my actions for the day ahead.

Only to grimace as I realized that I had no control over my life at this point.

Rising, I stretched and then warily scanned the room for any nasty surprises that might have been dropped in while I was asleep.

Relaxing, I padded over to the uniform and carefully patted away all the creases before I examined it critically.

Satisfied, I went over to the last tub that I had not touched, and lowered myself gratefully into it and I yelped as the water’s coldness seeped into my bones.

A while later, I dragged my body out of the water, which at this point felt warm and comforting. Then, drying myself off, I kitted myself out in the uniform, and stood there savoring the feeling of warmth against my skin.

Wishing I had a mirror to check my appearance, I patted my hair into place, and then I took in a deep breath before walking outside my… home. My home for the next few years.

Wincing at the thought, I glanced over to Sia’s house, but there was no movement. So, I marched off with purpose toward the kitchens.

When it suddenly struck me that it might be a good idea to explore the place.

It was when I saw the wall that cordoned us off with soldiers looking at me menacingly that it struck me, that perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea to explore the place.

Reluctantly, I turned my steps toward the kitchens again, and soon I stood; The only person in the entire kitchen.

I waited there as time passed and my limbs became stiff, but I did not hop around or do anything of that sort to limber myself up.

I just stood at attention, fearing this was another test.

Soon it was dawn, and finally the sound of footsteps sounded out.

First came the black uniformed people, who looked a little surprised to see me there before they regained their composure and stood silently alongside me.

Almost half an hour later, mumbling was heard as the lady Chef came gesticulating with her hands as she spoke to herself.

Unsure, I waited with the rest of the black uniformed servers as they stood unconcerned, as though this was normal.

After a few minutes of this, the lady chef suddenly looked up sharply and piercingly at us, before she began barking orders rapidly.

Peeling off as each order was heard, the black uniformed people rushed about and soon ingredients were being placed at various cooking stations while pots and pans were brought out of storage.

I stood there stock still as the chaos went on because I was not aware of where things were, and finally, the lady Chef saw me, and a frown crossed her face as she stared at me.

Then, realization must have hit her because her face softened momentarily before regaining its fierce expression.

Barking, she said, “Your job today is to assist these gentlemen in whatever they are doing. Now. Why. Are. You. Standing. There?”

Nodding, I sprang into action and I probably caused more damage than good as I got in the way of the black uniformed people, but I was at least assisting them in some capacity.

As they glared dirtily at me as I yet again blocked their path in my ignorance, I was tempted to whistle merrily but suppressed the urge.

Soon, all of us were divided amongst the cooking stations, and cracking my knuckles, I was ready to do what I was good at.

And that was to cook.

Soon the ingredients were all pre-prepared, and as the black uniformed person’s eyebrows shot up; the food was soon bubbling away alluringly.

Coming near, the lady chef sniffed and then a small smile broke free from her strict expression, and she nodded at me.

I almost grinned back, but restrained myself hastily, and contented myself with a return nod to the lady.

Many hours later, all the cooking was done, and my back was feeling sore and twisted in places from far too long spent on stirring the pots and tossing their contents around.

But my reward?

Was not to my liking.

As more of the bugs and insects from yesterday, in far greater quantities, were given to me.

Gritting my teeth, I looked at the lady chef who pursed her lips and stared at me before saying a single sentence, “Those are good. Very good for you.”

Then she turned away, and I was left holding the plate with the crawling ‘food’.

Hesitating on whether to trust her or not, I finally decided that I didn’t really have a choice, and knowing that the day was going to be long and difficult; I bit down with determination and soon; the plate had nothing left on it.

Clutching my stomach, I felt it cry out in protest, but at the same time, a heat was spreading through my body, which dissipated after a few minutes.

Puzzled, I rubbed my stomach, but all thought was driven out of my head as a black uniformed person gestured to the door and jerked his head at me.

Nodding, I removed my apron, and left the kitchen; joining the rest of my group from yesterday outside the dining hall, where the man shot a dirty look at me.

Then it was time to… not head back into the kitchen for the cooking and washing, but to move to the weaving area.

Where we weaved two bales today until our hands were numb, and our vision almost doubled.

And then, we were again led to the clearing where that solitary person was working on the log houses, and we milled around, waiting until we were given the go-ahead to return to our accommodations.

Walking in, I was braced for something terrible to jump out at me.

Only for nothing to happen.

Glancing about, I saw that there were no piles of dirty clothes. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

And that made me deeply suspicious.

Checking every nook and cranny of the place, I sank onto the mattress, and kept myself in a state of high alertness.

But time passed, and nothing happened, before I yawned hugely.

And slept.

My last thoughts were that another day had passed. And this day hadn’t been so bad. Had it?

“No,” I answered my own question.

So the next question was, “What were they planning?”

And I would find that out tomorrow and I had a feeling that I wouldn’t like it.

But for now, I sleep.

This chapter is a little bit slow, but it sets the pace for the rest of the upcoming chapters!

Also, apologies for the late upload. I'm just getting my schedule tweaked a bit and I haven't adjusted yet.

Much love to you Horizonators,

Stay safe, stay happy, and enjooy the chapters!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

1