Chaper 144 – Another Trial (Part 1)
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days, all the way until a week had passed, were an absolute blur that left me exhausted mentally.

Physically, I was actually fine. Better than I had ever been before.

In fact, I used to burst with energy through the day… which was incredibly strange given that we were only given one meal in the morning, and that was it for the day.

I couldn’t help but remember the lady chef’s words, “These are good. Very good for you.”

But no matter how I examined the baling crawlies, they just seemed to be what they were. Crawlies.

My routine was also unchanged for the rest of the days apart from the first day.

I would wake up early, go to the kitchens, cook, and eat what passed for breakfast there.

Then, I would join up with the rest of the students and we would weave for the rest of the day or until two bales of material were used up. The latter I found out after I finished two bales for the first time, and the man grudgingly held up his hand to stop me from moving on to more material.

Strangely, the washing of dishes had been stopped for us and I supposed I had the lady chef to thank for that.

After the weaving, we were taken to the clearing with the person building the log houses, where we would wait for the man to come back after close to half an hour before we were dismissed.

Back in our own log houses, I would wash my uniform and maintain my other uniform for the next morning.

By now, I had dealt with all the pesky lice and other unwelcome tenants within my mattress, and my sleep was peaceful, with nary a bite on me in the morning.

Today was shaping up to be no different, as I woke up and headed to the kitchens to cook.

Idly stirring the contents of the pot in front of me, I was lost in thought as I wondered how the rest were doing.

I’d had no contact with them since the last time we met on my first day at the Academy.

Thoughts turning to Sia… I wondered when I would be able to talk to her. The man watched all of us like a hawk, and I had found that even when we were left alone in the clearing; there were presences that monitored us.

Still thinking, I jumped up as the lady chef spoke softly behind me, “10 fish pond. Remember this.”

Puzzled, I turned around, but she had already left with large strides toward another black uniformed person.

Standing still until I remembered about the cooking I was supposed to be doing, I hastily took hold of the ladle again, but I turned over her words in my mind again and again.

“10 fish pond.”

But no matter how I thought of it, I didn’t recall coming across a pond with that name in my entire time in Yamal or the Academy.

Soon, my time at the kitchens had come to an end, and I expectantly waited for breakfast to be served.

Only for nothing to be given.

Puzzled, I looked at the black uniformed people who stared at me impassively.

Then, with a jerk toward the door, I was turned away.

Hope suddenly sprouting inside me; I thought I would finally be able to eat the food that the rest of the students were eating.

So, with a quickened pace, I walked to the rest of the students, only to find all of them standing puzzled as well.

Suddenly having a bad feeling, I wasn’t given any time to think about it as we were taken to the weaving stations.

Weaving as I frantically thought of all the possibilities, I relaxed, as none of the ones that I could think of were unmanageable.

Or so I thought.

After our weaving was done, we gathered together to go to the clearing, only for the man to lead us on another path.

A path to the red field.

The bad feeling getting worse, I saw that this time there were four people in total.

Two at the 25th step mark, and the original two sitting on the lotus seats at the 50th step mark.

Walking to the other end of the field as though he was on a leisurely stroll, the man passed through the red stones with nary a falter in his steps.

Turning toward us, he said, “Same drill as last time. You may begin.”

Glancing around, I looked at the other students in our group, and finally the first one in the line stepped forward with weak footsteps and approached the field.

The last time this student had tried it, I remembered him fainting at the 36th step.

But this time, on the very first step, he began trembling violently, before he collapsed in a quivering heap on the 11th step.

Leaving him lying there, the next student stepped forward and passed the fainted student with great difficulty, before he collapsed on the 13th step.

Like this, the rest of the students all went forward until the field was littered with unconscious bodies and there were only a few lanes that you could pass through.

Then it was Sia’s turn, and she was the first one to reach 25 steps… which was when the auras of the two new men flared high, and pressure that could be felt where I stood pressed down on Sia.

But grimly, she stepped forward… one step at a time, until she reached the 47th step, an improvement of four steps over her last time! This, with the additional pressure of the new silver ranks.

Proudly, I watched on as she knelt down on one knee at the 47th step… and even more proudly, I watched as she rose up against the pressure and then took one step back before standing where she was, her chest heaving.

More students followed after Sia, and a few managed to cross the 25th step mark, and I took note of them as they bore the pressure of the silver ranks as they struggled forward.

Then it was the turn of the long-haired, extremely slim boy, and he stood as tall as he could before he stepped forward.

Curious, I watched him intently.

I remembered him being one of the people to reach the 40th step last time, but I had the feeling that he hadn’t been trying his best.

Now that everybody was unconscious, he seemed to be a different person entirely as he bared his teeth and he ran.

Incredulously, I watched as he ran… not stepped forward… but ran.

He made it 16 steps before he paused with a grunt.

Then he stepped forward, his mouth bared in a feral snarl as he moved onward.

All the way till the 50th step.

Mouth wide open, I watched as the gold ranks seemed to come to life and pressure far greater than the silver ranks could create bore down upon the boy.

But he seemed to be immune to it, as he stared fixedly at the man in front of him and moved yet another step forward.

He was still staring fixedly at the man as he collapsed at the 53rd step mark; scarce steps behind my last attempt.

Then it was my turn and as the last person, I looked at the unconscious bodies of my fellow students, and at Sia, who looked at me.

Grinning in response to Sia’s eyes, which were slowly growing wider as she realized that I was about to do something stupid.

I walked forward to the edge of the field and, stepping forward; I began my stupid thing.

Which was to grit my teeth as pressure multiple folds heavier than the last time bore down upon me as I walked to the first unconscious body. Picking him up, I slowly retreated until I placed the body outside the field.

Then, stepping forth again, I reached the second unconscious student. Doing the same thing, I brought her comatose body out too.

Like this, I advanced and retreated as I ferried the students out.

Then I reached the 25th step mark, and the silver ranks, who were looking at me coldly, burst forth with their auras.

In response, I growled as I ignited my own warforce and burst forth with my own aura.

The aura built upon my values and my determination.

Ignite my Body, Ignite my Heart, Ignite my Blood!

And Ignite... My Path!

Pushing back against the aura, I stood tall as I walked forward relentlessly.

Grabbing a student and heaving him up over one of my shoulders, I walked forward again; picking up yet another student and draping him over my other shoulder.

Then I walked backward, my face still facing the man who stared at me expressionlessly at the end of the field.

Finally, I was at the 47th step and nodding to Sia and grinning a smile that looked worse than crying; I took a deep breath in.

And stepped forward again.

To the sea of blood that rushed toward me as it tried to drown me.

How was the chapter? Did it get your blood boiling? Let me know in the comments below!

Folks, I also have a request for you.

If you've reached this far, please consider leaving a rating or a review! It really helps the book gain visibility! It also helps me out a lot, and I really appreciate it!

Much love to you Horizonators,

Stay safe, stay happy, and Enjooy the chapters!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

1