Chapter 1
243 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Regressor of the 129th life has been upgraded to Regressor of the 130th life.]

'Here we go again.' I thought to myself as I sighed. Back to the beginning, I go for the 130th time. Strange as it was, this has become normal for me. Especially considering the numerous amounts of deaths, I accumulated during the tutorial. Many looked at the tutorial as a paradise, but for me, it was hell. 

[Privilege - Regressor's Memory activated.]

[Do you want to recall your past life?]

A transparent notification window appeared before me. I've seen this screen numerous times, and each time it appeared, I said yes. The stats I worked so hard to obtain could be mines once more. The skills I acquired, I could have them again. It was the perfect cheat for an unlucky person like myself. So why did I feel the need to say no?

Did I really want to start this life on a blank slate?

Shaking my head, I said yes.

[You have remembered your 78th life.]

What did I do then? Was I even strong? After living through this loop for a long time now, everything just starts to blur together.

The only constant throughout all my lives was one thing. I strongly disliked other humans. There was this need for emotional connection and people's ambition that drove them to make wild actions. The stupidity some people had could give you a tumor.

Still, as much as I did not like people that much. I knew that going at this alone would be difficult.

[Privilege - Regressors Notes activated.]

Twenty years. That was the longest I've lived in one single life, but altogether my life here probably tripled that. A person could only remember so much; no matter how smart you were, it was impossible to recall what occurred twenty years ago. You may know of a specific event, but what happened exactly? No one could truly understand the specifics.

For me, it was different. Even now, as I scanned the area, I could see the names of people who have yet to meet me. Some of their names were green, others blue, a couple red. This perk of mines allowed me to write down notes that were only visible to me.

No one knew that I had come back from death. To them, this was their first time here in this safe zone. All of them questioning how they arrived here, how they could leave, and where they were. The area was large enough to fit in thousands of people, but this was just one zone out of many.

As loud as it was here with all the chattering going on, no one paid attention to the large black door. I never understood why no one could see it until an administrator showed it to them. As I already saw it, the irregular here was me; thus, it was visible to me. However, the moment I touch that door or bring attention to it. Everyone would have their eyes on it.

[Your trait Regressor has unlocked a new privilege.]

[Privilege - Regressors Choice.]

[There is always a choice. Choose to become a guide or choose to unlock another's past.]

[1: Contract - You remember, so do they. The cost they have to pay is a small one, but in return, a portion of their strength returns. (Contractee cannot go against the terms of the contract, whatever it may entail.)]

[2: Insight - You've seen what others achieved, but was it the right choice? No one knew at the time, but you know now.]

My trait has not had an upgrade since my 50th death. Still, a choice, huh? Would life be easier if someone else was here with me?

Doubtful. The only good thing was the contract terms. If I had this, I would have never been betrayed.

Did I have to choose now? No, the two options were grayed out. It was impossible to select either one. My eyes locked onto the black door that seemed invisible to everyone else.

'Should I start it?' An odd question to ask, but I already knew the answer. In a life before, I did not open the door or draw attention to it, believing that the tutorial would not start unless the door opened. I was wrong, and everyone died within minutes.

I had to start it.

No one noticed my presence as I made my way through the large crowd of people. Pausing for a second, I opened my status screen.

Name: Billy Hartwell | Age: 25

Class: Martial Artist | Year: 0

Trait: Regressor [130th life]

Title: [The Crazy Fool] | [Tutorial Upsetter] | [Chosen of Chaos]

Prestige: 0

[Stamina] 180 | [Qi] 2500 | [Perception] 250 | [Luck] 25 | [Potential] 250

[Attack] 50 | [Defense] 100

[Physical Resistance] 200 | [Magical Resistance] 250

[Critical Chance] 150 | [Critical Damage] 200% | [Critical Resistance] 95 | [Dread] 0

[Fist] 250 | [Thunder] 125

[Points] 0

'Oh.' My mind drifted for a moment as I remembered what happened in my 78th life. It was one of my better runs where I managed to live twelve years in this place.

A smile crept up on my face while recalling everyone I killed. 'Good times.'

My hand touched the large black door, and with a push, it opened.

The inside varied based on some factors I have yet to determine. It could be on how I move if I remember my previous life stats or just random. There was no way to find out.

This time, the room was different. It was a grand hall with black marble floors, a ceiling-high above your head that it was impossible to reach, with shelves stretching as far as the eye could see.

'Interesting.' I said to myself as I walked inside.

Murmurs could be heard from behind me as I knew others would follow after me. After all, who would not be curious as to where the door led.

Out of all my lives, this was the first time I ever saw this version of the room. Usually, it was only big enough to fit in either a few people or a few hundred. This one was able to accommodate a couple thousand.

'Seems that more people will be able to get a chance at survival.' That was the goal we were given before I upset the tutorial and went crazy. Many, myself included, thought we were only supposed to survive for a few days or weeks at most. We were wrong, so wrong.

The tutorial only ended after five years.

I ended up finding out early on that the tutorial's monsters increased every day. Not only their numbers but also the strength they had. If you slacked off for even a moment thinking that this place would be a breeze, you would find yourself dead within a week.

Especially when it came to 'that' creature.

As I walked the hall, I noticed some notes I had placed before on certain items. Even when I died, the notes I set on something or someone stayed there. It was the same now.

All these tomes were skills that a person could obtain. It was more of a legacy than anything else, something that would guide you down a set path. My path was already set, so I ignored them. A person could only have one legacy.

Next were the scrolls, which were similar to tomes, but they refined your knowledge. I began to question myself, wondering if obtaining my previous stats was the right option. From what I could see from the notes, there were some interesting items to receive here. Sadly, even if I did get them, it was not worth it for the current me.

I thought that until I reached the soul gems. They were encased in glass, put on full display. The gems ranged from large to small. Some were heart-shaped, others were diamonds.

In my previous lives, these were never in this room at the beginning. They were rare items, which is probably why there were only ten in total here. The difference between a person with one and without one was not much, but it did help. I only knew of one person with one, but they died during the war of ambition.

I gazed at them and couldn't help but grab them all. It was best no one obtained one right now, other than me.

With that done, I took a second to think about something. My 78th life, to be exact. I was a psychopath; I probably still am. Some things needed to be done. People that needed to be killed. I've gone down countless paths, and they all ended the same. Me. Dead.

What could I do differently to live? The apex is just that, the peak, and there is nothing beyond it.

'When we get out of here, I'm going to change the guild. There is too much that people don't know, and we've lost too many to keep this up.' A voice all too familiar to me came to mind as I recalled a few words he said. Crazy he said it, too, since all hope was lost.

There was something I could do and only something I could do. 'Always take responsibility for your actions.' My father, whose voice I could not remember, told me constantly. He was right, and I've put it off for too long. I caused this; I'm the one who disrupted the tutorial driving the administrator the abandon us.

Therefore, I should fix it.

My body moved until I was back where the tomes were, and I grabbed my old one. Tome of Nothingness. Two minutes later, everything started to crumble apart.

People were afraid. I could sense it. The tutorial was starting, and I was left to wonder what awaited me this time.

5