Chapter 2
55 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An open plain full of lush green grass, and in the distance surrounding us was an endless amount of trees. The forest was dense; an average person would be unable to see what was ahead of them.

"Kaa!" A woman's scream reverberated in my ear along with a growl. In front of her was a crazed wolf—thick black fur, golden eyes, with razor-sharp teeth and claws. The size of the creature was four feet high.

It was not just her. These wolves surrounded us all. The hungry look in their eyes showed clear as day. The fear that was being emitted from everyone drove them wild. These creatures loved it; to them, it was thrilling, especially when one ran away. There was nothing better than the chase. I knew that feeling all too well because I, too, loved it.

Analyzing the facial expressions of those around me, I knew that things would end badly. Usually, I let them die, but I should try something different this time.

Glaring at the wolf in front of me, it whimpered as it backed up from me. 'Smart boy.' I complimented the beast as it was not stupid enough to attack me. It knew.

"Why are you afraid? Don't you have a sword in your hand?" I asked the man in front of me as I noticed his hands were trembling. "It's just a mutt. These wolves aren't even worth fearing."

His mouth opened for a split second but closed right after. It seemed that he was trying to find the words to say.

"Let me show you." In one swift motion, I snatched the sword from him. It was a steel shortsword, two feet long and light in my hand. Like a viper, my arm sprung forward while the sword I was holding stabbed the closest wolf in its head. The animal had no time to react, and I was confident in my speed. It was the one thing I could be proud of. Withdrawing the blade, I turned my attention towards the large man without even glancing at the wolf's corpse drop to the ground. "Easy, right? Now you try."

The look of uncertainty was spread across his face. Even the look he was giving me was asking, 'Is it possible?'. Smiling, I grabbed his hand and placed the short sword back in it. Once he gripped the blade, I took hold of his arm and guided him into a slash. It was not using my entire force or even a tenth of it. The blade cut deep into the wolf, drawing blood as the beast let out a cry.

A smile appeared on his face, and with it, newfound courage. "You all, go ahead and strike," I spoke aloud, causing those in the vicinity to hesitate for a moment. However, those close to me, when I used the short sword and saw the wolf die quickly, did not hesitate. The weapons in their hands were starting to show how deadly they were.

One by one, like a domino effect, things were starting to change. Everyone was fighting, and fewer people were dying. To others, I was there one moment and gone the next. To me, I just darted off in the distance. There was someone I had to meet, a wise young male who often helped me more than once. My perception was high, allowing me to see everything and everyone on this open plain. It only took a moment before I arrived right next to him.

Black hair that flowed back, black eyes with sharp eyebrows made him look a little less innocent. His creamy skin was unblemished and in his hand was a sword. The moment I stood next to him, his eyes grew large. I knew him, but I also knew that he realized who I was. What I was.

"Chang," I spoke to him, confident he would respond to me. He also informed me to do in a previous life of mines if I ever wanted to contact him.

His eyes wavered for a moment as he hesitated to say something. "Did I die?" He asked.

With a nod of my head, I told him yes. Chang looked down at the ground for a second. I could tell he was thinking, wondering how and when. I could tell him, but it was better for me not to.

"Can you tell me how?"

"No. Do you want to know?"

I could see the resolution in his eyes. The young man was always so driven, more than me. It was what I liked about him but also secretly envied. I could never have the same ambitions as him, it was too much of a hassle, and I did not care for others much.

"Yes."

[Do you want to make a contract with Song Chang Wook?]

[Do you want to guide Song Chang Wook?]

My eyes gazed at the transparent window before me. If it were Chang, I think it would be worth it. The first option was my choice, as it would let him comprehend precisely what happened in his former life.

[State the terms of the contract. Beware that once a contract is formed with the contractee, their soul essence will be harvested.]

I could not help but hesitate as I read the new transparent window. What did it mean to harvest their soul essence? It sucked that I could not tell right now, but maybe in the future.

'Cannot betray the contractor.' That was the only condition I had for him.

Chang must have received a notification about the contract. I stared at him, staring blankly. His eyes went to me, then back to the transparent window. Chang's body trembled as he clutched his heart. His mouth opened wide, but no sound came out as he dropped to his knees.

I knew what this was; it was the same feeling I had. That intense pain as your body remembered the last thing that happened to you. Which was always your death.

4