CHAPTER TWELVE: SCARLET ARMOUR
87 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a dimly lit room Ethan sat in front of Nana. The room was simply decorated, yet the few paintings and artefacts that adorned it, spoke highly of the master's taste. A paper lantern glowed at one corner of the room, giving it a soft yet radiant ambience.

Nana sat upon a mat spread on the floor, her legs folded beneath her, hands placed neatly on her knees. She looked grave as she spoke.

"Juran wrote to me about you," she was saying. "Told me how he came upon you. He was sure that you came from a world different from ours. Till now we have only speculated about its existence..."

Ethan was surprised to hear her words. "Why do you even think that there is another world somewhere?" He asked.

Nana hesitated for a moment. Then she said evasively, "Juran travels far and wide as a merchant. He knows a lot of things which others do not know."

Ethan couldn't help but say, "Well, someone told me that he is an information dealer; sells them to the Cerebs."

Nana smiled. "Information can be more valuable than gold and diamonds. Well, he knows certain things better than others, and being the Priestess of Sun, I, too, know a few things. But all I can tell you at this moment is that, there really exists a world separate from this land of Anakra and that you have arrived from there. Wait for your memory to return and it will be clear to you," she said.

Ethan took some time to process what she said. It was still beyond his imagination and he decided not to dwell on it too much. 'Let's wait and see how things turn out in course of time,' he thought. There was a lot of things he didn't know yet and he had started to look at himself as a pawn in an unseen battle of chess which was still beyond his comprehension. But he had resolved to play his part in it.

"We need to find out and rescue Juran at once!" He said. "Can you help us there?"

All the calm softness were gone from Nana's features. Her face looked like a mask curved out of cold white marble. "Juran is being held by Svald, the High Elder of the Cerebs. I don't have it in my power to oppose him."

"What do you mean?" Ethan asked.

Nana sighed. "The Council of the Cerebs rules over Anakra. The highest position in the Council is held by the High Elder. Svald holds this position. He is the one who controls the Arcus of Cerulean Light and hence, the most powerful Cereb there," she said.

Ethan felt dizzy under the barrage of new information. "Wait there!" He gasped. "What is this Arcus whatever?" He asked.

"It is the technology that runs Anakra," Nana said. "It has helped the Cerebs to transform the barren lands into cities, to cultivate crops, control weather and to create weapons."

"Alright! I understand now," Ethan said. "But why has he captured Juran?"

"The two are sworn enemies since the time Svald killed Juran's brother," said Nana. She paused for a moment, then said, "He killed my sister, too..."

Her voice trailed off. Ethan looked at her in surprise. There was so much pain in her low voice! 'Why is there so many tales of loss here? How is it different from my world?' He thought. For, he knew that the world he came from was full of wrongs, too.

But he refrained from saying anything. After a brief silence Nana carried on, "My sister had fallen in love with Juran's brother. He was an excellent young man from every aspect, so there really wasn't anything to object. But Svald wanted to keep her for himself. So he separated them; decreed that the second young mistress of the family of the Priests of the Sun couldn't see a merchant boy from the Citizens. Leon was banished from entering the city of Sun and sent on a mission to another part of Anakra. On his way he was assassinated by the men sent by Svald."

Nana fell silent again and with unseeing eyes stared in front of her, as if the bitter and painful past had been enacting itself again in front of her eyes. Then she spoke again. "My sister knew what would happen. She followed Leon out into the wilderness and was killed in that assassinating attempt, trying to save Leon. When Svald came to know what had happened, there wasn't anything left for him to do. Since then, Juran and Svald are sworn enemies."

"What about you?" Ethan asked in an ardent voice. "As I can see, you have power and resource. Why didn't you revolt against him?"

"Revolt?" Nana asked curiously. "That's the first time that I'm hearing this word! But I know what you mean to say there. Ethan, you must have heard by now about the Demons and the Seraphs? Do you know what the main difference between them is? Well, the Demons were purely guided by their instincts, while the Seraphs had their set of rules and roles. They created the humans after themselves, so we have no way of challenging the High Elder or the Council of Elders. We are bound by our rules to obey them."

'So this is the difference between your world and my world!' Ethan said in his mind. 'At least we can rebel against our oppressor! You can't even afford to do that!' He felt really sad.

"How are we to get Juran back then?" He asked. "You can't go against Svald, but I'm not bound by your rules, I suppose?"

"No, you aren't." said Nana. "You can take any decision on your own. You can also control Liz and Ahir as Juran has recognized you as a member of his family and given you the mark of identity. I'll also help you in whatever way I can. Now go, take some rest while I try to gather as much information as I can."

As Ethan was about to stand up, Nana suddenly said, "Wait a second! Can I see your wound? I know it's healed now, but I'm kind of curious." She smiled.

Ethan felt a bit uneasy; still he took off his robe, unveiling the undershirt which Ahir had cut open to look at the wound. As his eyes fell upon it, he couldn't believe what he saw there. Hastily, he took off his undershirt and stared at his naked torso with unbelieving eyes. Then he remembered that Nana was also present there and looking up at her, he blushed deeply.

Nana didn't notice his embarrassment. She was as surprised and captivated as Ethan. With incredulous eyes she, too, stared at Ethan's chest which was now covered in a red glistening stuff that also spread over to his back. It looked like an exotic armour-plate curved out of a gigantic ruby and chiselled into his skin! As Ethan touched it gingerly, he felt the familiar smooth touch of his own skin. It had become a part of his own skin!

Confused, Ethan looked at Nana. What on earth was happening to him?

"This is a Demon protecting Scarlet Armour," Nana said. "Whoever saved your life has given you a great gift. This armour will protect you from any Demon Slayer Pentacle."

Nana's brows were knitted together. She was lost in deep thought. "What are you thinking about?" Ethan asked.

"I'm thinking about that Armour of yours," she said. "I had only heard that such an armour exists, but never saw one till today. You see, it was the Vernik who could heal and create armours like this, but they are no longer in this world."

Ethan remained silent. He had decided not to speak of Gailar to anyone. Nana was their ally, but she was a Cereb as well, bound by the rules of their Council.

'Perhaps it would be better not to burden her with any secret', he thought.

Still, he asked, "Who are the Verniks, anyway?"

"A tribe of humans who could use the Elements of earth to heal and regenerate," Nana replied. "They could create any sort of armour to protect the human body from the Cereb weapons, so the Cerebs eliminated them."

"The Cerebs eliminated a whole tribe?" Ethan asked incredulously.

"Yes," said Nana bitterly. "The Humans have a huge flaw. They are greedy. In their pursuit of greed they have broken the most important rule made by the Seraphs."

"What rule?" Ethan's own voice sounded unfamiliar to him.

"To abstain from killing another Human," said Nana. "They have destroyed the balance of this world. Now it is only a matter of time before this world crumbles. Perhaps you are here to hasten its fall?" She looked up at Ethan with a strange expectant gaze.

Ethan stepped back involuntarily. He was still uncertain about his role in this incredible plot of changing worlds and races, but he was determined. "I'll do what I must do," he said gravely.

0