Ch. 8 Tree Home
1.3k 0 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8

Tree Home

 

Can't maintain this speed for long, I'll have to slow down and lower down before I run outa steam. Just as important, they'll follow along my initial direction.

So first I bank from heading due south, to due east.

Another minute (and about 7 miles) later, start to slow down to only break-neck speed.

Now that I'm too far to try and find my family once more, I should just strike out on my own early.

There's one of those super-tall trees, dwarfing the surrounding redwoods. That'll make a handy landmark to return to.

Now I kinda wish I had watched some of those "reality" shows, especially 'Surv*vor M*n'. What would B*ar Gr*lls do?

Well, I have an idea . .

Once I reach the big tree, I go down to a height of about 100 feet (30 meters). 'Fourth floor; cabinets, hand tools, lingeree and explosive defenestration.'1fenestration(fen'es'trā'shun): windows and related infrastructure . . defenestration: removal via windows and related infrastructure, possibly by force

I drop myself onto the branch and rest up for what's to come next.

'Oh Inari, am I WIPED!'

No sleep this time, too precarious a position.

. . .

 

♪♫243 bottles of beer on the wall, ♪♫243 bottles of beer, take one down, ♪pass it around, ♫242 bottles of beer on-

KRYAAA!!

'Durned nighthawks,' *swsh swsh* 'keep interrupting my song.'

The offending attacker's wings flew over the branch I had been perched on, while its body flew under.

Welp, feels like it's time to get started. Let's place the entrance flush to this here branch.

To start, I form a cylinder-ish shaped Barrier, 8 inches (20cm) wide and 12 (30cm) tall, with top sloped downward around 20°. And some kind of notch in the bottom, not sure of the right word, maybe bevel?2accidentally used this in the right way. the notch itself is just that, a notch. bevel refers to it having a slant: ¯|/¯  Anyway it's half in and half out of the trunk. Then turn it like it's hinged on the bottom, pulling a plug from what's to come next. Now I start pulling apple sized chunks out with a simpler version of the same method, tossing this waste over the side until it forms a narrow tunnel 5 feet (152cm) long. Then leading to a circular cavity reaching a size of 12 inches tall and 30 (76cm) wide. Plenty of room for a young kit my size, and a door for privacy.

No ventilation yet though.

I shave just a bit off the inside bottom of the plug, so its weight holds it in place butter better. Then wedge it in.

I shoulda checked this part out before all that other work. Remember next time, me!

It fits. Poke, poke. No wobble, nice.

Now to find something to eat, the sun set hours ago and I haven't eaten since noon.

There was an annoying birdie a while ago, wonder if that's still available.

I jump off the branch toward the right, aiming for the nearby redwood. And slow my fall of course.

Unfortunately I hear some snarling and tearing sounds coming from my destination. Maybe I can scare them away long enough to grab some?

"Yapp!" I call out to get their attention.

wolf1) 'It's a bird!'

wolf2) 'No, It's a flame!'

Fox) 'Please tell me we aren't doing that gag!' I message them.

wolf3) 'What gag? Who are you?'

F) 'I'm hungry for this hawk I killed earlier.'

3) 'We found it first!'

2) 'Just you? Don't make me laugh!' "Whuff, whuff"

4) 'You're just some little cub who lost an eye and tail in a fight.'

F) 'When diplomacy fails . . '

1) 'Then what? Low-Level pipsqueek?'

F) 'Then it's time Eye get to work.' *glare*

. . .

4) 'Is that a . . '

2) 'Redfang told me about this.'

3) 'Redfang? How strong is this fox!?'

2) 'They couldn't even scratch him! And he slammed Redfang down hard enough to make a hole in the ground just by looking at him!'

Starting from the stronger ones who had been conversing, the whole wolfpack backs away to form a semi-circle around their heretofore meal.

. . .

Having finnished my meal, I return to the base of my tree. Then use a shallow dish shaped Barrier to pick up all the wood-balls I had discarded earlier.

Once I have them far enough away from anything else I use a shrinking, heat-blocking Barrier to gather up enough heat energy to set them afire, just like that eagle a few chapters ago. After they ignite, the heat Barrier is expanded in the shape of a 'saucer UFO' to include all the wood pieces then an exhaust hole left in the top.

With most of the heat trapped inside, the combustion continues to accelerate, sending a piping jet upwards over 10 feet (3 meters) in a few seconds.

Because the combustion is so fast, it takes just a few minutes to finish. Then I release the first Barrier leaving just the hot ashes trapped in the second as the rest starts to blow away in the breeze. I also widen the aperture on top of the second one to release the stored heat faster.

After which I fly back onto my branch.

And none too soon as I hear a group of voices.

Boy) "That bright light was around here, junior sisters."

Girl 1) "Maybe it was some cultivator who doesn't want to be disturbed."

B) "Or the birth of a Treasure."

Girl 2) "Or a battle between Beasts."

G1) "Doesn't look like we'll find anything now, third brother. So do we try to find our way back or just camp here tonight?"

Uh, guys? It's probably dangerous to sleep so close to a pack of wolves. Eh it's probably fine, they're fed.

Maybe I should have buried that instead.

34