Vol. 0 Prologue
9.8k 13 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue

???’s POV

"Ar. .ou ...?"

Hmmmm? I suddenly started to hear a faint voice.

"Are you ..?"

Perhaps because the speaker was closer, or perhaps because my consciousness was coming back, I could hear it more clearly than before. Wait, When did I lose my consciousness?

"Hey, Are you ok?"

The voice sounded a lot more clear this time. The message was properly transmitted this time.

Still, I felt heavy. My eyes were closed, and my eyelids showed no sign of moving.

I thought of answering the voice, but not to mention my voice, my mouth was not responding either.

What first came to my mind was a certain phenomenon that happened to me years ago when I was a small child. It was not later years that I learned the name of such a phenomenon, it was called sleep paralysis.

Not sure why that came to my mind at this moment, but it felt quite similar.

Although, at the same time... I had a hunch that this was a more unique situation.

"Hmmm, he is not responding. I wonder if he is still numbed by this place, although, as he is now, I am not sure how to wake him up". I got the feeling that who said that seemed at loss.

The same voice from before spoke again. Now that it is this close, I could focus on the fact that it is a male voice. Not sure who this person is though, he does not sound familiar.

It seems that from his point of view, I am still sleeping. That is not wrong to assume.

In cases like this, I am supposed to stay calm. I did not panic this time, but I can still recall that at that time years ago... I was seriously scared.

"For now, I will wait for a bit for him. I have a lot of free 'time' after all". The voice muttered before quietening again.

Not sure if I should be saying this but... Are you sure you want to spend your time watching someone sleep?

No, I think that I should be more worried about the fact that some guy I don't know is watching me sleep.

With newfound motivation, I tried to recall the way to get out of this situation.

Let's see... little by little, try to move a part of your body, I need to focus in that particular zone. From that part, to the rest of the body. The process might be slow, so I need to do it patiently.

I don't know how long I spent doing it, but some time later, I could finally move my hand, from my hand then to my arm. And just like that, I could finally move again.

It was rather fast, I think.

"Oh, you are finally moving, at long last you are awake. I have been waiting for 4 hours straight". The voice said, perhaps answering my inner question.

Or maybe not, I am not very good at counting the time that passes.

"If you are awake, why don't you get up? I don't think we will be able to talk like this". The voice insisted on me getting up.

Since a while ago, when the feeling of my body returned, I learned that I was lying down somewhere. But the feeling was not one I recognized.

I guess that my only option is to follow what the voice told me too.

But as I open my eyes, what appears on my sight is... pure whiteness.

"What the...!?". I muttered in shock.

I could not help but say those words out loud. But I could not be blamed. This whiteness is not that of a room painted in white, no matter the tone, you can at least notice the edges of the walls and ceiling... yet, you couldn't do that here. This looks like an open space where there is nothing.

"Surprised? But before you start asking questions, this place is not somewhere you can easily come. In fact, this isn't even the planet Earth you are familiar with". The same voice explained.

The male voice suddenly said while I was still staring at this bizarre-looking space.

Once again hearing the voice, I turned to finally see the speaker, and before I started to question what he(?) said. I saw him(?), or it?

"....!?"

My eyes widened, and I am honestly surprised that I kept that exclamation inside.

Quick question, you guys have seen human beings all the time because you are humans, I hope. So you are familiar with the common features of one. Two arms and hands, one chest, two legs and feet, one head. That is what usually defines one... Yeah, that was what I had seated beside me.

What? That does not sound strange at all you say? Haha, that is because you can't see what I can.

No other features at all, no mouth, no nose, no eyes or ears. For the record, it does not have clothing either. You could say, it fits perfectly with this space. It is pure white and if I don't focus on it, I might even lose sight of it. The only reason why I can see it might be because there is a thin line surrounding its shape, a black line.

I was at loss for words, but the strange creature did not mind such a thing, or perhaps he(?) since it had a male voice, decided to continue speaking just because he(?) did not want to wait anymore.

"Hey there, stranger... You are finally awake. I have been waiting". He(?) said.

Speaking (I can hear the voice, but he(?) has no mouth) to me, and using a tone of voice that lacked hostility, even sounding light-hearted or excited. Just from hearing those words, I somehow understood that he(?) did not mean any harm. You could say it was more of a guess, or instinct than having a certain proof.

"Stranger you say... To me, you are the same". I said.

Somewhat trying to keep my beating heart controlled, I did my best to answer him(?) with the same tone of voice.

My surprised mind was working full throttle to understand what is going on.

My first thought was... that I am simply dreaming.

This white space does not look real to me no matter how I look at it. Still, I have this feeling... that the creature, or being in front of me is real.

"Hahaha, indeed. I am a stranger indeed". He(?) replied to my comment with a laugh.

It seemed somewhat spooky that he(?) was talking but I could not see him do it, nonetheless I keep quiet about it.

"I guess, that I have no other option but to ask this... Who... No... What are you?" I tried to ask somewhat politely since the question could sound pretty offensive.

But, maybe mocking my intentions of being careful with my words, he(?)-

"Me? That is a good question. I have been wondering that for a long time. But I have not come with the answer to that. I was just born here, existing here. No more, no less than that" He(?) replied as such with no particular change in his tone of voice.

I guess his answer is not wrong, but that does not help me to understand a single thing.

My mind is in a calm state after a couple of surprises, so I decided that I should just ask straight-forwardly since he(?) seemed to be rather easy-going.

"Then, what is this place?" I asked.

"Oh, this place? Hmmm, this is... 'Outside', I guess". He(?) replied to my question with that.

I am more confused after hearing that.

"What do you mean with 'Outside'? Outside of what?". I once again asked in hopes of understanding what this place was.

"That is... How to explain it... You see, if imagine that all that exists fits perfectly in a box. Yes, imagine your planet, your universe... All that inside a box. This place could be said to be outside that box". Thinking for a bit, he(?) just dropped that explanation on me.

This took a sudden turn from weird to ultra weird. He(?) just started talking about the universe that lightly. Argh, a headache is coming.

"By the way, I know why am here, but... Why are you here?". In a tone filled with curiosity, he(?) just asked.

I was a little lost with that question, I am surprised I did not question that.

I... I can't seem to...

"I can't remember...". I muttered a little discouraged, after failing to come up with an answer.

What can't I remember? Well, putting why am I here aside. My name, I can't even recall that.

"You can't? How about I help you... Here". Taking action after saying that He(?) put his(?) hand on my head and I-

Memories came to me, slightly vague but they were my memories, I would not confuse them.

My last memories were of----

*Flashback starts*

I was riding a train. Doing my best to ignore the noise from the other passengers, I had headphones on.

When suddenly, I heard an awfully loud noise, a lot stronger than anything the passengers could make, not to mention it was metallic.

That was the start, everything started spinning... and I and the rest of the passengers were the same.

I probably lost my consciousness for a moment during all that, because after opening my eyes the scene was different, way too different.

No matter how you try to sugarcoat this, it was a terrible sight.

I was lying down in what seemed to be a window. The train had got off the rail somehow, so it looks like getting out of here will prove to be difficult.

After quickly glancing around my surroundings, I noticed how low was the number of people getting up. Not sure if they are unconscious or the accident killed them.

Laying here won't help me so I tried to stand up but a sharp pain coming from my head stopped me. Moving my hand to inspect my head, I feel some dampness. Putting my hand in front of my face, I notice some blood running down. It seemed like I had taken some damage like the rest of the passengers. It could've been worse I guess.

I once again tried to stand, still feeling the pain but standing anyway.

Another look at my surroundings made me question what I should do next.

My phone was not nearby, this accident must've sent it far away. I can't call for help like this.

That leaves--

Looking for an exit, or helping the people around me.

I was about to choose the first option before my eyes caught the sight of an unconscious woman tightly hugging a baby, probably a mother trying to protect her baby from harm. Protect huh. I changed my plans and started to try to wake up the other passengers, starting from the mother.

As lucky as it sounds, both the mother and the child were safe, or at least they look like it. They still need to get checked at a hospital.

After waking up, the child started to cry. The cry was rather loud, causing me a headache.

Perhaps noticing my reaction, the mother did her best to soothe her child. Doing a great job, the child stopped crying rather fast. Good job, Ms. Mother.

With the cry gone, I once again took care of checking and trying to wake up the other people.

With several people waking up, I could only leave alone those that did not do so. Checking their vitals, there were none.

I could do nothing about that. I had no powers to bring the dead back. I truly wished I had... if I had it them I could... No, this was not the time to be reminiscing.

Finding an exit is what I need to do.

Thankfully, there were plenty of broken windows, so I climbed out from one and I saw it. The origin of the accident.

The train crashed into another one. I could hear the sound of sirens in the distance, maybe the police or an ambulance was on the way.

Regardless, what worries me is that the place of impact is starting to catch fire.

I once again could just leave on my own, it was the safest choice I could take.

Yet... the image of that mother protecting her child came to my mind as fast as I thought of going on my own.

Inwardly cursing myself, I started to help the people to get out.

With every people I helped out, I questioned my actions. They are strangers, there is no reason to go this far. You have even helped that mother already. She was at a safe distance as well.

Still, after I helped her... she thanked me.

Something you had not heard in a while.

So many things had changed after the death of my family. I had abandoned the little interest I had to interact with others. Everything seemed dull, and yet.... and yet.

That heartfelt thanks, was... something that made me remember those happy times when even little actions with my family were fulfilling. Even though we had different hobbies, we got along. Hobbies, another thing I abandoned, I had pursued them with great passion, or at least that was how I saw it. Now, I was no longer into that.

A slight smile came to my lips as I remembered those times, staying late to read books, light novels, even watching anime, or playing video games. Just to have my parents scolding me the next day. Truly good times.

I think that I tried to forget everything that might've reminded me of them. No matter how small.

How laughable.

I started to keep people at a certain distance.

But, those words from that woman. I can't ignore them.

I did not help people to get away just because I wanted their gratitude, I doubt their words will touch me as much as that woman either. Maybe it was that I had started to feel guilty because I was planning to leave on my own.

However, that did not matter, I had started to feel my emotions again. I think I need to act in a way that won't make me feel remorse later.

It might be pitiful or laughable. But I am doing it for that. Yes, only for that.

And, with such a thing in mind, I kept helping people, again and again. Until... I fell.

I had forgotten but... my head was bleeding, it looks like it was more serious than I thought.

*Flashback ends*

"I... died, I guess. Otherwise, I would be laying down on a hospital bed and not here". I said after taking a moment to catch my breath.

My back was full of cold sweat, I couldn't tell how much time I spent remembering, but it sure came all at once.

Thinking about it, if I had left as soon as I could and gotten medical assistance faster, I might've survived, nonetheless... I don't regret it. Staying gave me something I had forgotten, something that changed me who was not acting like a proper human being.

Perhaps, I could've been alive on Earth now... but that was hardly something worth calling being 'alive'.

"That, I am not sure. To begin with, this is no place for dead people. No, this is no place for people at all" He(?) started talking and mumbled such a thing.

"What do you mean? I thought this was what people called the afterlife, I was never a believer of God, but this place...". Because what he said did not make sense to me, I asked.

"Me? God? Not really, I am no God. I don't have that kind of power, to create life... No matter the form. I told you what this place was, this is 'Outside'. To explain it better... while you are here, you are not under the protection or rule of anyone" He(?) denied being God with a straight face(?).

I could feel a new headache coming to me.

In times like this, I can try to dig further for answers, or just accept things as they are. As a lazy individual, I decided to stop thinking about it.

There is another question I have that takes priority.

"I will put all that aside. Since I am here, now what?". I asked since my situation is so abnormal, I would like to know what am I suppose to do.

"That is also a good question, but I have no way of answering that. Over here, you are lucky to be able to not lose yourself and disappear. Although I guess I played a little part in that. Since it has been a while that someone comes here". His answer did not help me at all, it makes me think that He(?) is rather unreliable.

I expected some sort of quest from him(?), or he would just erase me since I am an anomaly. But I guess He(?) does not care about it one bit. I feel slightly dejected at that.

"Then... Is there anything I can do?". I once again asked in hopes of some sort of useful answer.

"There is nothing here to do. Once in a while some people would come here on their own, I sometimes talk to them. Other than that... I guess that I also take a peek inside those boxes I explained before". He(?) nonchalantly said something absurd.

Wait, people that come here on their own?

"You said there are people that come here? What about them?". I asked a little curious.

I am not sure what to do with that answer though.

I had already died on Earth but... I finally recovered the feeling of being alive moments before it happened. I finally found that motivation I had before the death of my family.

I don't know what I want to do but... just doing nothing is surely something I don't want.

"They? I said 'people' for you to understand easier, however, they are not always 'people'. Do be careful if you want to ask more, your common sense might not be enough to handle it". He(?) said in a tone that indicated a warning.

Not sure I want to know now that he said that, but... if others came here and right now there are none, maybe there is a way to leave this place.

"They came here, but they also left right? How did they do it? Can I do it?" I asked.

"You are not the same as them. And this isn't about your origin or your shape. They came here by their own hands. They called themselves many names, but what they were seeking was the same. So I started to refer to them as 'Travelers', beings who sought to go beyond their planets, their worlds. Unfortunately, you are not like them, you did not come with your strength. You just happened to drift here". He(?) answered me back.

Judging from his words, I am a separate case from them. Does that mean I can only stay here? I... No, there might be away.

"Is there truly no way for me to leave?" I tried asking once more since I still did not want to give up.

"Well... I might be able to do something about it. However, Are you sure? You can't go back to the place you came from. You no longer belong there. Allow me to apologize since it seems to be something rude, but when I helped you remember... I saw your memories. Those places that hold your memories... you can't go there again. Your current motivation is somewhat tied to your world. No having a place there, Why do you seek to continue? Why? I don't understand". He(?) seemed curious when he(?) asked.

I can't go back, I have no place back there.

I certainly heard that, but I still wish to move on, no matter if it has to be somewhere else. Now that I know about the people who travel, I might have a chance in the future.

"Is the reason why I can't go back because my presence here is an anomaly, right? Then, if I become like those people, I might have a chance to go back. Tell me, What do I have to do?". I inquired.

"You want to bet in the future huh. A possibility. Hmmm, as expected, I might be able to look at the lives of people from an outside perspective, but talking to one sure is different. I can't understand those desires like hope but I will be waiting here to see how you did it. As for what to do... A good question. I don't have a world of my own so unfortunately, I can't send you there like you are. If I had that kind of authority then this would be easy...". He(?) used an uncertain tone of voice while he(?) answered me.

Going as I am is not possible huh. Figures, it won't be that easy.

"You will have to become a person of that world to be able to live there. It will take time but... How about it? It is not something you get to experience often. Rebirth. I can just alter a few things from my end, and you will get your new chance". He(?) told me what he(?) came up with.

The concept of reincarnation does sound like a novel idea. Not to mention that it is something you don't get to experience more than once. I would start from zero this time. A new opportunity. Although recalling the number of novels about reincarnation, I couldn't help but remember that it doesn't work perfectly every time.

"But... Where will I go? Where will you send me to? If what you said it's true... There are many places where there will be different kinds of creatures". I raised a question. I would prefer to at least be human-like in my next life. Please spare me from being reborn as something like a fly. Some of those barely live for a day.

"You wouldn't like to be something too distinct from a human, so I will focus on looking for places where you can be as human-like as possible. Although this might take a while so... I would like to talk in the meantime, you can also take a look around if you like". He(?) said with a shrug of shoulders.

I should be thankful for such a consideration.

Talking is easy, entertaining him(?) is the least I can do. But looking around? I can't see anything here.

"I can talk as much as you want, I doubt I would provide enough entertainment to someone who has seen much more than me though. There is one thing you said I failed to do though. How can I see or look around here? You said I could look around, but there is nothing in my surroundings". I asked. It is all whiteness as far as my eyes perceive.

Thinking about it... He(?) has been acting very friendly, which makes me wonder why He(?) would help me at all.

"Hmmm? Not at all, I have hardly any chat partner. Almost no one can reach here, or the ones that can usually come here only once. Oh, I forgot to tell you about it. Yes, there are several troubles for those who come here in fact if they stay too long they start losing themselves. Usually, I point them in a direction and they follow along, so I don't usually worry about others seeing, my bad". He(?) seemed thoughtful while he told me that.

One moment, there was something that bothered me. Did he just read my mind? Wait, losing themselves?

"What about me? How long do I have left?". I immediately consulted. Do I have little time left?

"You don't need to worry about it. When I found you, I helped you by stopping your soul from dissipating. During that time, I might've made you tougher, enough to survive in this place. Later, when I fixed your memories, I made it so you could spend your time here with ease. That said, Are you sure you can't see anything at all? I did fix you with my powers so you shouldn't be bound to your limits as a human". He(?) calmly replied to my questions.

He(?) just said many things I wish to retort to, however, if what he mentioned it's true, then it is worth giving it a try. I tried looking around... around... looking around... and nothing.

I can't see anything, just the never-ending whiteness.

"I am sorry, but I can't see anything, to me all this space looks white with nothing on sight". I told him(?) what I saw(?), or tried to at least.

"I guess it is a matter of time, you have to get used to this place. Just in case...". He(?) said and once again came closer to me and put his(?) hand on top of my head.

I did not feel anything, but whatever he did must've worked because He(?) removed the hand.

"I tried putting a bit more of my power in you, but I think the problem is that you have no idea how to use it. In your memories, I noticed how lacking was your world in what you guys would call super-natural phenomena. So I think you won't be able to do much even with my help". He(?) said.

I felt slightly disappointed at that, but with all that He(?) is doing for me, it seems rather shameless of me to complain.

"By the way... I think found a couple of places I could send you to. They are somewhat tied to your world. Now now, before you ask, I will tell you this. People are not the only thing that wanders around here, sometimes the wills of some, even records of their worlds ended up drifting by. There is even, what you guys write in literary works and use as stories, that arrive at your world or any world, and manifested as an idea. Although, you can also say that what it is in those books is what the writer imagined that could happen. In the end, the content that drifts by is never complete so I think it's praiseworthy how people in your world reached success with such an incomplete knowledge". He(?) once again said something outrageous.

From what He(?) said, famous literary works could have their origins in information from another work. If this was somehow known to the people in my world and gets acknowledged, it would cause a huge change in the perspective of people.

Although, putting that aside. He(?) found a place already. He(?) seemed somewhat unreliable at first but maybe that was because it was outside his area of expertise. I still got to ask him(?).

"That is great, but I have to ask something first. Why do you help me? You are doing this much for me". I decide to ask since I am not sure if after leaving, we will talk again.

"Aren't you over thinking it? To you, it might look like something difficult, but not to me. I found something interesting, thanks to it, I could see your memories, I could even taste what you call 'feelings' through those. You went through some hard times and yet, you still found light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps it's because I shared your memories, but I could for the first time, feel sympathy. No other 'people' who came here dared to talk to me too much. Just a few words were difficult for them. Of course, there were many 'strong' people amount those that could spare more words, but it was mostly due fear or reverence that they would speak to me when I talked to them. You though... You were quite calm, not caring about me at all". He(?) answered my question as such.

Someone of his(?) level must've seen a lot, yet maybe because of his(?) so-called level, many things were different. Maybe something simple for me could be rather interesting or amusing for him(?), enough for him(?) to act.

"I see, sorry for the question". I had to apologize since my question after hearing his(?) answer, was rude. Being avoided sounds awful.

Now, I guess that what's left is my destination.

"Then, what kind of world is that?". I asked with my eyes full of curiosity and expectations.

Going to never-seen places sounds great.

"I am not sure what to choose for your destination, but... considering that I gave a small part of my power and even then you could not use it. I was thinking that your lack of experience dealing with 'supernatural phenomena' is the problem, to fix that, I have a certain place in mind, a place where you will get familiar with energies not found on your planet. Be thankful, you will surely enjoy this world. As a fan of that work in your life on Earth, you will enjoy that place(probably). Just in case, let me give you something that might come in handy." He(?) said and once again came to put his(?) hand on my head.

I feel like He(?) said something I should worry about but perhaps is my imagination.

"You are not going to tell me what kind of place it is?" I asked with an uncertain tone. Knowing will help me to mentally prepare myself.

"Consider it a surprise. I will send you right away, a perfect opportunity for you is about to appear so you don't have much time. Too bad, I would've like to talk some more. But I will be waiting. Will you be able to come here again? I'll have high expectations of you. Your hope, do not abandon it. Keep it close to you. Well, we might be able to talk sooner than expected if the opportunity arises." He(?) said at last.

Since putting his(?) hand on top of my head, He(?) did not remove it. I wanted to reply to him(?) but before I could do so... I felt a little push and I was falling backward the next second.

While that happened, I could swear that He(?) suddenly had a smile with his(?) new mouth which I am certain that He(?) did not have before. But the thing that picked my interest was the 'thumbs up' signal that He(?) gave me. For some reason, I had a bad feeling.

Sadly, before I could think about it... everything went black.

138