One cat is not enough? How about three?
2k 9 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One cat is not enough? How about three?

Part 1

MC’s POV

Once again in the familiar white space, I was facing He (?).

"Unfortunately, you have died again". He (?) muttered regretfully, now with all necessary human facial features on his (?) face, his tone remained flat though.

"Eh? Just like that? I mean..." I mumbled doubtfully, finding it difficult to speak the right words.

My memory is a little foggy right now. When did I get here anyway? Did I just die?

"Of course, that was a joke. Wow, you should've seen the look on your face just now". He (?) joyfully admitted.

This b*stard.

"Hey, hey... It was just a harmless joke. Don't get angry". He (?) brushed off my anger just like that.

*Sigh*

"Then I can at least assume that I am still alive, right?" I muttered to myself in a low tone of voice.

"Can't you remember what happened? Here, let me help you". He (?) uttered as he (?) once again put his hand on top of my head.

My last memories before I ended here came flooding back at once.

I see. Before we were able to beat Touji, someone had attacked us, and while I was recovering from the aftermath of the attack, that individual knocked me out, no, I recall that I felt something on my neck, a stinging pain.

*Sigh*

What now?

"Thanks for that, I guess. That does not leave any side effects, right?" I asked something that just occurred to me. He (?) had done that a couple of times already.

"..." He (?) remained silent.

No, if you stay silent then-

"Nothing bad happens, Haha, you freaked out, huh". He (?) spoke. It doesn’t matter if he laughs, it sounded strange since his tone did not change.

What's with this guy (?)? Hasn't He (?) changed a bit too much?

"That is because of you, or rather, your memories. I took it too far when I read them and now I am taking bits of your personality". He (?) explained.

I am not the jester type though?

"Put your hand on your heart and say that again. Who are you trying to trick here? I know every single part of your life, every single part". He (?) replied to my thoughts, and emphasize a certain line.

Is it ok? Letting yourself be influenced like that-

"Even my appearance is changing somewhat. Is it that weird that I act like you? It is normal to be influenced by your friends, and I only have you so I might've allowed myself to get influenced more than you would usually do. I can just go back to how I was before if that is what you wanted though". He (?) offered.

No, it is fine. Just do what you want. I was just surprised by your sudden change.

"I tried to joke since I recall that people seemed to like comedy, but maybe it backfired. This is more difficult than it looks". He (?) uttered, as he (?) scratched his (?) head.

That is some human-like reaction.

"Did you call me here for a particular reason?". I asked.

The pressure from this place is starting to affect me again. It had not appeared until now so I thought that maybe I was not going to feel it again, but I was wrong.

"Hmmm, oh yeah, I almost forgot. You have been sleeping for quite some time, you know? I am not suddenly talking to you as soon as you were put to sleep". He (?) explained.

What?

"You have been sleeping for quite some time, you know?. I am not sudden-". He (?) began repeating what he (?) said before.

"No, I did not ask you to repeat it... *Sigh*". I signaled him (?) to stop. 

Talking with him (?) can be tiresome sometimes.

"Then you are talking to me because you wanted to tell me something related to that?" I inquired.

"Not really, I was just bored. However, since you mentioned the topic, things are not looking good for you. Be prepared, because you won't be able to 'rest' easily anymore". He (?) explained in unusual seriousness.

*Gulp* 

That sounds ominous.

Hmmm...?

Wait, if you can tell what is going on around me, then-

"Can you tell me where Kaa-san is? Is she ok?" I immediately asked.

Why didn't I ask this first? I went out of Urakyoto for this.

"I don't know where she is right now. I don't know it all, you know? I can try to find her, although I am not sure exactly when that will be. You might even find her faster than me. I can only see that 'world' from over here after all". He (?) explained

Oh, that's right.

*Sigh*

"Well, don't be so discouraged. That woman is strong so she will be fine, probably". He (?) muttered.

Your lack of confidence in your words makes it worse.

Urgh, I feel like I am being crushed.

This feeling... Did I reach the limit of my stay?

"You held out pretty good. You spent here more time than before. Keep it together, you will have it tough". He (?) warned.

Waving his (?) hand at me as I was leaving this place, He (?) did not say anything more.

I was not even able to reply to him (?) either; the pressure that this place gave me did not allow it.

What a strange place this was.

Part 2

Waking up, and even before opening my eyes, I could tell that a strong light was being pointed at me. With some effort, I tried opening my eyelids, but the light blinded me before I was to see anything.

Trying to move my arms to cover my eyes, I found them to be locked in place. No exertion of strength allowed me to move them from their position. I also found myself to be laying somewhere, and a cold feeling was transmitted from my back.

At a loss, I tried to figure out what was going on. Recalling what He (?) told me, I was not going to have time to ‘rest’, so far the situation did not look good. Not only my arms but my legs were fixed in place as well, I was not able to move from where I was.

As I prepared to use my Ki to break free, I heard a voice.

"It is useless. I have dealt with your kind before so I made preparations in case I was to meet with any 'unruly' behavior". I heard a cold voice saying that.

Turning my head in the direction of the voice, it took me some effort to distinguish the speaker due to all the light.

A man with gray hair and blue eyes was standing at one side of me before I noticed. However, there was something about him that raised my alertness by a huge margin as soon as I spotted him. He was wearing a surgeon's garb. That image along with how my body was bounded sent a chill down my back.

I tried to circulate Ki, but as this guy said, I wasn’t able to use it. Even when I struggled with all the strength I could muster, I was stuck here.

"You can thrash about all you want, but no matter what, you won't be able to break away". The man spoke in a mocking tone of voice, there was even a slightly sadistic smile on his face.

Is this what you meant He (?)?

In the beginning, it was hard, but with some effort, I managed to speak.

"Who... are... you?" I raised a question. My voice was a little hoarse probably because of the time I spent unconscious.

Still maintaining his expression the man answered.

"You people always make dull questions, and they are always the same... *sigh* you will eventually learn my name since you won't be going anywhere. However, instead of my name… Shouldn't you be worried about something else?" The man replied in slight amusement.

Inwardly cursing the man, I tried to look at my surroundings with the limited movement that I was allowed.

No matter how you looked at it, this place seemed like an operation room. I was not one hundred percent familiar with all the equipment here, but there were a lot of things that looked the part, like that machine that was probably to check my vitals.

Feeling unease for what it is going to take place, I once again heard the man speak.

"Yes, that is the face you should be making. Remember this feeling well. If you don't obey, it will be much worse". The man jeered at me as he began putting on his gloves.

I don't like where this is going.

"Well, that will be only if you survive though..." The man muttered in a low tone of voice as he took a syringe filled with some liquid to inject me.

The few things the light let me see turned hazy in my eyes, probably thanks to whatever was injected into me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

???’s POV

Observing as the child loses consciousness again. The man who injected him just now watched him expressionlessly.

He had emptied all of the syringe's content, and you would usually need only about half the amount to knock out an adult devil. It was very interesting how this kid was becoming with each dose, more resistant to the number of drugs he had used to keep him in deep slumber. His body seems to automatically develop in a way where these substances are less effective rather quickly.

He was an interesting test subject. Considering that it's been weeks since he captured and kept him in an unconscious state by constantly injecting different substances, no, even when you take that into account, it does not seem normal. That makes this kid pretty valuable just for that, not to mention, he already put him through minors modifications and he had recovered at an amazing speed.

Today was the day he decided to include him in more complicated experiments. After doing several tests, he learned that the vitality that he exhibits was impressive. He might survive a certain procedure that he had plans to try when a suitable candidate appeared since usually someone lacking just dies.

Originally he did not dream of completing that procedure due to a large number of failures in the past, although lacking better test subjects had something to do with the failure, so far, their vitality or compatibility was lacking. This one has durability, as for the compatibility… well; you need to do experiments to make sure of that anyways.

It was a shame that the woman never appeared even after they kept her child this long. She might have higher durability than her offspring. He can only imagine how many experiments she would’ve been able to endure, it was truly a shame.

*Sigh*

Sighing in disappointment, he took a scalpel a prepared to start the procedure.

"Now then... 'Reproduction of the Original 72 Devils Project'. It is time to restart this project again. The question is, how long with this subject last? Wait, what was his number again? Considering he will become part of this project, then it would have to be the next number after the failure so subject 10032". The man muttered to himself before bringing his scalpel down to the child.

Part 3

-Time skip ???

MC’s POV

It was difficult to tell how much time passes when you remain unconscious for such a long time. The only thing I have to remotely tell me that, it's the growth of my hair and judging by its length, I have been here for roughly a few months at least.

Every time I wake up, I find new scars that from what I learned were operations, although I couldn't exactly tell what they were doing to me. 

There is a good thing I found out, while they have somehow sealed my ability to circulate my Ki, they still allow a small amount to work its way around my body for me to recover faster albeit at a slow pace if you compare it to my usual self. My enhanced life force which comes with higher levels of Ki reserves was very helpful to survive. Some of the scars from the first procedures have already disappeared. I really can't help but marvel at the possibilities that would arise when people reach even more elevated levels of Ki reserves.

Well, the total amount of scars does not exactly get reduced since I am sent to the operation table rather often and I get new ones.

Should I be thankful for that thing He (?) said about making me more resilient or perhaps was that a joke on his part? That said, the tougher I am, the more procedures they put me through.

*Sigh*

I won't touch the subject of how painful this is because I try to keep my mind distracted in other stuff, although sometimes I ended up unwillingly focusing on the chilly sensation that this damned patient garb causes, and I just don't know what to do at those times.

Well, I do make an effort to concentrate on more meaningful goals. Like marrying Yasaka, and having a house at the beachside. Well, it isn’t exactly a lie that I imagine that, but the real stuff I focus on is something else. For example, I think of a plan to get away from here. Unfortunately the small bits of time I spent awake, I am in a rather weakened state, which does not allow me to do much, just like now.

The place I am usually being kept at is a small room lacking windows, with a simple bed, a toilet, there was also a small table where they leave me water. Everything is painted white. The door has a glass opening in the upper part where I am observed from sometimes, and there is an opening on the lower side, where sometimes I am given food on a plate.

It was an awful place, but you would normally think that the door is closed. However, for some reason, it is open during the day, although at night you can hear a small click that indicates a locked state. That said, it is just me considering the closed and opened state as a sign of day and night.

Once, I had tried leaving the room but all I found was a long hallway with multiple doors like mine. At the end of it, I found stairs that lead both up and down. However, going up and down is impossible for me since they are tightly locked by some thick metal doors with a small glass opening like my door.

There are other problems as well. On my arms, there were two bracelets attached, and I believe they are responsible for my inability to use Ki. Nevertheless, the most troubling matter is that I also have a collar attached to my neck, which activates by releasing an electricity charge quite strongly depending on what I am doing. One time, I began kicking those metal doors out of frustration, but the only answer I got was an electric discharge. It was painful and the door was intact even after I hit it which made me madder.

So there was nothing to do at the moment.

...

...

...

I wonder if it was something good or not, but my Nekomata traits were not hidden anymore. They were forced me to show them somehow while I was unconscious. Well, my ears and tails were still attached so that was good enough for me. However, thinking about it, being like that might've led to a small coincidental meeting. Maybe, it was the way things would develop considering all the factors which at that time, I was not in the mood to pay attention to.

...

...

One day, I was just laying on 'my' bed trying to use my Ki, but kept failing continuously.

"Using my Ki doesn't seem like an option no matter how much I try". I muttered in a disappointed tone after another failed try.

Somewhat focused too much on my unsuccessful tries, I failed to notice how the door slightly opened.

Now tired of repeating the process over and over with no gains, I stood up to drink water and it was at that moment that I noticed the door slightly ajar. Right there, I noticed something, or rather, someone.

Curiously staring at me, two gold-colored eyes with cat-like pupils were directed at me.

Perplexed, I just stared back at those eyes, and with my line of sight being slightly higher than the other party, I could conclude that those were probably a pair of children’s eyes. However, I did not pay attention to the characteristics of said child. I kept staring back because somehow, I felt that I had to do so.

After an unknown amount of time, the door was opened and the staring contest came to halt. I was now able to observe who the owner of those eyes was.

A little girl, a head smaller than me, with white hair styled in a short bob cut along two long bangs of hair and golden eyes with cat-like pupils. On top of her head, there two cat ears that twitched the moment I laid my eyes on them and a tail that kept moving back and forth. She was wearing a simple white dress.

I blinked in a daze at that view, I mean, she was a cute girl, but that was not what surprised me.

She was much smaller, but she looked just like her. Another of the Canon characters in Highschool DxD. Koneko Toujo, although at this point she was called Shirone as I recall.

For a moment I was not sure what to feel, it was an amazing coincidence finding this girl here. However, she was here. Connecting the dots in my head, I concluded her possible reason to be here. Before she joined Rias-chan peerage, she and her sister were working under another devil. Her sister, Kuroka joined that devil's peerage as his bishop. The b*stars used her as a subject of an experiment to create Super-devils. You could say that her presence here is proof that these sisters were involved in that.

"...Are you the same as me?" I heard her say in a low tone of voice.

She was staring straight at me as she said that... well, more like my ears and tails.

“No... You also have two of them..." She muttered before I could reply. Her tone seemed slightly discouraged.

"You don't have to worry about that, I was just like you not too long ago". I spoke before I realized it.

While her crestfallen look was still adorable, my thoughts were that it was better for children to be happy.

"...Really? Then, will I get another one?" She asked me hopefully with upturned eyes.

Kuhh, do you wish to kill me with that cute expression? I knew it. Moe is the true answer to life. No, don’t get beaten, maids are the true way.

"Yeah, don't worry. You are still small, when you grow up it will grow as well". I explained.

However, at my words, she just pouted.

"I am not small". She complained.

No matter how you look at it, she was small, but telling her that would just upset her more.

"You are right, sorry. You are not small". I said as a hand of mine moved stealthily to the top of her head, which she avoided.

Now she was looking at me with a slightly wary look. Hmmm, it didn't work; I just wanted to pat her head. Those ears look soft so they were targets as well.

"I am sorry about that". I apologized for my acts.

Before she could say anything back, a third voice was heard coming from the hallway.

"Shirone-nya? Shirone-nya! Where are you?" The voice belonged to a young girl who I saw after I went out of the room.

She was a girl with long black hair with split bangs, and hazel-gold eyes with cat-like pupils and the characteristics of having cat ears and tails, and wearing a black dress. The girl in question was coming this way; she would sometimes stop to open the doors of some of the other rooms along the hallway, peering anxiously inside. She could only be someone, Kuroka Toujo, the big sister of the child who is behind me gazing silently at her.

"Is she looking for you?" I asked even though I knew the answer.

As I stared at the little white cat girl waiting for an answer, I saw her nod in response to my question.

"Shouldn't you call out to her? To let her know that is here?" I questioned.

She remained silent for a moment before saying-

"...No need. She will arrive here soon anyways". She replied this time instead of just nodding.

This kid is quite merciless.

"Hey! Over here!" I raised my voice to call out to the anxious Kuroka.

Waving my hand at her, I tried to catch her attention. When we made eye contact she seemed confused and wary that someone called to her when she was looking for her sister, or at least that's how it looked to me.

Nonetheless, once she saw who was behind me, she strode at full speed in my direction. After arriving where I was, the black cat girl shoved me aside and hugged the white cat girl.

My weakened self could not offer any resistance so I fell to the floor. It hurt, but I was a big boy so I did not complain.

"Nyaaa! Shirone-nya, are you ok? Are you hurt? You were not in the room I left you so I was worried-nya!" The black cat girl anxiously said while tightly hugging her sister.

Standing up with some difficulty, I could only watch the spectacle dumbfounded.

"Nee-chan... It hurts..." The white cat girl complained.

"What!? What happened-nya? You are hurt? Who did it? Was it him-nya?" The now angry black cat girl inquired, although she had already jumped to conclusions.

Directing a glare full of animosity my way, she walked and stood in front of me.

"What did you do to her-nya?" The black cat girl questioned me as she grabbed me by the patient's garb, and started to shake me back and forth.

There was a time when I believed I liked catgirls, but with each shake, that belief was slowly disappearing. Well, that was a lie. Moe is justice.

"No, I-". I tried to defend myself but-

“What were you thinking of doing to my Shirone-nya!?" She interrupted me.

Urgh... I don't feel that good.

"Nee-chan..." The white cat called in a low tone.

Nevertheless, the black cat girl did not stop and kept shaking me.

No good... Urgh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person POV

Watching as her Onee-sama kept continuously shaking that other Nekomata, Shirone was somewhat exasperated at her. She had overreacted again.

"Nee-sama..." Shirone tried to call out to her but she was not listening to her.

Perhaps her tone of voice was not loud enough, or maybe she was being ignored. Either way, it seemed that more effort was needed to stop her. Shirone was the one who made contact with him first so this was her fault. It appeared to be the right thing to help him.

"Kuroka-nee-sama!" Raising her voice somewhat, Shirone tried calling out to her sister again.

"Now that I am here, you won’t bully my-nya? Shirone-nya?" Kuroka turned to see her sister in surprise.

"He did nothing wrong, I was the one who came to talk to him first". Shirone explained as she pointed at the now dizzy Nora.

"Nya? Are you sure-nya?" Kuroka inquired.

Shirone nodded in response.

Seeing how she is holding him by his patient garbs and how this nekomata was not looking good, Kuroka began to regret acting on impulse.

Considering how he was on this floor of the facility, this child without any doubt is being used as a test subject as well. Feeling a bit of pity and guilt now that she calmed somewhat, Kuroka dragged him into his room and helped him to get into his bed.

"Thanks..." The now laying down Nora said.

"No... Hmmm... Sorry-nya". Kuroka apologized, still feeling sorry for her actions.

"It's ok. You did not mean any harm, although I kind of wished that you held yourself back a little". The laying down Nora complained.

Crestfallen, Kuroka just remained silent.

“Ah, no... Hmmm, don't be sad please?" It was now Nora's turn to feel guilty. He might've been a bit harsh on her.

Watching the awkward conversation between the two, Shirone just shrugged her shoulders. Feeling a bit sleepy, she just wanted to take a nap while those two kept talking. Lazy to just go to another room looking for a bed, she just went to the bed and snuggled in one corner of it. When her Onee-sama leaves, she will tell her... until then she... will... sleep.

...

...

Feeling the added weight on the bed, Nora turned his head to see what happened only to find a white cat taking a nap. With a wry smile, he pointed at the sleeping girl as he called the still crestfallen one.

"Hey..." He thought of calling her by her name but soon remembered that they have not been introduced yet.

Looking at Nora pointing in one direction, she was curious to see what he was trying to tell her. With a turn of her head, she saw her dear little sister sleeping. Such a sight made her smile, although it also put her in a tough spot. If she took her to their room then she would probably wake her up.

"You can leave her like that if you want. Oh, I am called Nora by the way. What about you?" Nora asked as he saw the troubled look that Kuroka had.

As she wondered for a moment if she should be telling her name that easily, but later concluding that it is already too late for that kind of worry, the little girl spoke.

"I am Kuroka-nya, and she is my little sister, Shirone-nya". Kuroka said as she pointed at the sleeping girl.

"I see". Nora replied with a nod.

After a moment of silence, Kuroka spoke again.

"Why are you here-nya?" The older sister inquired.

It was a somewhat dull question considering what kind of place this site was.

"Oh, you know. Just came here for the beautiful view". Nora replied with a wink.

A stupid answer that avoids the subject, but Kuroka somehow understands that he does not wish to speak further about it. In her case, she would also try to divert the conversation. Nonetheless, she thought of playing along since it seemed fun.

"Really-nya? What is there to see here other than these white walls?" She asked in slight amusement.

"Well, aren’t you here? You are not a wall, and I find it worthwhile to be here just for the view" Nora said with a rather mischievous expression.

Blushing a little at those words even though she knew that he was teasing her, she did not reply immediately.

"Haha, it is just a joke. So don't get angry". Nora muttered after seeing that she remained silent.

Finding his reaction rather funny, she decided to remain silent for a longer time.

Seeing how he was getting anxious with each second that she spent with her mouth shut, Kuroka could tell that he is not someone who would usually say words like those easily so maybe he tried to make a joke to get rid of the awkward mood that appeared because of her actions.

"Nyahaha, you should've seen your face just now". Now that he appeared to be in a panic, it was time to say something already so she just laughed.

With a relieved expression he just shook his head with a wry smile.

"You got me there..." Nora said.

"You were being cheeky for a kid-nya". Kuroka retorted.

Looking at her with barely a head taller than him, Nora couldn't help but comment.

"You are not much older yourself..." Nora argued.

"I am the older one here so call me Onee-chan-nya!" Kuroka excitedly exclaimed at the idea of having someone calling her Onee-chan, which her sister does not exactly do too often.

"No, now choose... Kuroka-chan or Kuro-chan, I will only use one of those". Nora instantly replied with a grin on his face.

Kuroka remained dumbfounded for a moment, in her head this was not how things would play out. She expected him to refuse her at the beginning, but she would slowly coax him into doing that at a later date.

"No-nya! I want you to call me Onee-chan-nya". Kuroka insisted again.

Shaking his head in disapproval, Nora just stared at her. The meaning was rather clear, he was not backing down, but she was not going to do so either so she stared back.

For a minute or so, they stared at each other until Nora cut eye contact. Kuroka broke into a grin considering this her victory, but that grin transformed into a frown then later into a worried look. Nora was clutching the area just below his chest, a little higher than his stomach. He got covered in cold sweat rather quickly. Kuroka did not know what to do. She was aware that being here alone had certain implications for Nora, but she did not try to pry more than necessary during their chat. It was obvious that he was being used in an experiment, and by the looks of it, the effects were far from pleasant. Along with pity for him, she also felt fear for her well-being. She did not join that man's peerage for long, and he had already started to make her go through several tests. She wondered if she was seeing her future self, and that scared her, for her safety and her little sister's as well.

Seeing him struggle, she got closer to him and hugged him to help him go through his pain. For a moment she wondered what was that spurred her to do it. Was it that she saw her future self in him or just plain sympathy as a former Nekomata?

He struggles a little when she holds him close to her.

"Shhh. Calm down-nya, I am here. Just relax... It will soon pass... nya". Kuroka said in a coaxing manner.

She softly caressed his hair as she remained by his side, watching him and her little sister alternatively.

...

...

Some time passed until she heard soft breathing coming from Nora, it no longer sounded forced. Kuroka tried to carefully move him away from her bosom and she saw him sleeping peacefully.

A small smile formed on her face, she was rather happy to have been able to do something for him. In this place, Kuroka only has Shirone with her. Losing their parents had been a hard event, and without any other option, she accepted the offer to join that man's peerage to provide a place for her sister. However, she couldn’t deny that she feels lonely sometimes; it does not happen as often as before but... she misses her dear mother, and she can see that Shirone has been affected by it as well. Shirone was never someone of many words but now she speaks even lesser.

Meeting this child, she found an amicable face among all the scary adults in this awful place, although their first contact was not that friendly because of her.

This was not the first time she had come to this floor to drop off Shirone while she goes to the testing room to receive 'treatment'. However, it was the first time that Shirone was not in the room she left her before she departed.

Perhaps bored of the same routine, her little sister just went to explore the floor, finding Nora in the process. Honestly, she originally thought that he was doing something bad to her... after all; Shirone tends to avoid people other than her, although Kuroka can't blame her, considering the kind of people who move around this site.

Watching as the two younger Nekomatas slept, Kuroka began to feel sleepy as well. Not being in a hurry to leave as Shirone was peacefully napping. She just followed the sleeping Nekomatas example after making herself comfortable near Shirone and fell asleep as well.

...

...

*Poke*

Feeling someone bothering as she slept, Kuroka was annoyed so she just turned her head the other way.

*Poke*

Once again, she felt something. It keeps touching her cheek so after resigning herself to wake up, Kuroka opened her eyes to see her little sister Shirone poking her cheeks.

Noticing that Kuroka was awake, Shirone spoke.

"I am hungry..." Shirone said as she rubbed her stomach.

Kuroka put a hand on her stomach and it felt empty too. It seemed that they spent here more time than she thought. A look at Nora and she noticed that he was still asleep, and for the looks of it, he won't wake up any time soon.

"Should we go back to our room then-nya?" Kuroka asked as she got off the bed.

Shirone was about to nod but she caught sight of the sleeping Nora and stopped. Turning to Kuroka again she spoke.

"...Can we bring him with us?" Shirone asked.

Smiling wryly at those words, Kuroka did not know what to say. It would probably be impossible to do. This was an underground laboratory, and their room was on a completely different floor from this.

"I am sorry-nya. We can't-nya. Are you worried about your friend?" Kuroka asked something that made her curious. Did they spend that much time together?

Shaking her head in denial, Shirone remained silent for a moment as she thought.

"He... is… like us... but... alone". Shirone mumbled in a low tone of voice.

Kuroka felt an impulse to hug her sister at this point because she sounded adorable, but held herself back. Pondering for a moment, she could not think of a way to bring him with them.

"Do you want to come back here at another time-nya? I don't think we can do something other than that". Kuroka suggested.

Nodding at her words Shirone walked near Nora and poked his cheeks.

"*poke* Bye *poke* Thanks". Shirone muttered before turning around to leave the room.

Following hurriedly after her sister, Kuroka wondered what that was about.

Not knowing what she meant, Kuroka remained clueless back because Shirone did not say a word about it.

Leaving behind the sleeping Nora, the two sisters just left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

???’s POV

Reading the result from the test papers, a certain man pondered silently for a moment.

If Nora had been here, he would've recognized the man as the one who always did the operations.

This man, called Theodore Naberius, belonged to a branch family of the House of Naberius. He had taken the Nekomata Kuroka as his bishop using two pieces, everything in exchange for taking both Kuroka and Shirone under his protection. He was also responsible for Nora's kidnapping.

He was comparing the notes of experiments between the Nekomatas. They were both responding well to the procedures. Each of them was put through different experiments, but you couldn't deny that they have adapted well.

His latest bishop became a reincarnated devil and was put through her father's research to artificially create Super Devils. While the experiments just started, there has been a good increase in her prowess.

In the other nekomata’s case, he was still alive, which was a great advance compared to other subjects. After three operations, four at most, the subjects would usually begin showing signs of incompatibility and they would die days later. Nevertheless, the child had been in more than ten procedures, yet he was still is holding up.

"How long could these two last...?" The man muttered to no one in particular.

With the Super Devil project, they just have to follow the notes from that scientist. However, for the other project, there has not been such a successful case since it started. Perhaps they could still accelerate the process some more?

Part 4

MC’s POV

Waking up, I found the pain was long gone. As the memories of the meeting with the Nekomata sisters started playing in my head, I felt slightly embarrassed. To think I tried to tease that Kuroka, but she ended up teasing me back. Damn you He (?), I knew that I was not made for that kind of thing.

*Sigh*

Putting aside that, I wonder why my body reacted that way. The pain was not usually that strong. Kuroka-chan did shake me a lot so maybe it was that? No, I can't deny that it was because I talked a lot too. Besides that man, I had not talked to anyone in a long time. Nevertheless, it seemed unlikely. Even if interacting with others tired me out, it is too far-fetched to consider that as the real reason. Although, it could be because the procedures themselves are the cause, not an outside stimulus. That was not good news for me. This kind of stuff usually gets worse with time, and trying to fix me with Senjutsu is impossible with these things attached to me.

Hmmm... Wasn't there a way to use it?

This time that girl remained by my side lessening the pain somewhat. However, the next time I will be alone so I need to find a way to use my Ki. I wonder... Can't I use the Ki from my surroundings like it was my own? The Ki gathered inside my body is more effective than the normal one due to raising the quality after compressing it, but in theory, you gather the Ki in the environment to use it. Normally I have my body circulate it in a particular way to prepare and use spells. Will it work the same with the one I gather and keep outside?

I have no choice but to try I guess. Unless I get these things off me somehow, I won't be able to do much with the current state of my body.

...

...

The first try was a complete failure; there is hardly any Ki in the surroundings that I could use. I must be rather far from nature and there are not many living creatures nearby judging by the lack of Ki.

I continued trying over and over until I gathered a small amount in my hands. Yet, when I tried to make use of it... the Ki just dispersed.

*Sigh*

Roma was not built in a day as they say.

Trying again, I did everything in a slower motion to see what the problem was. Just a moment before it dispersed I saw the problem. I focus too much on instantly using it. I forget the importance of my body which was used as a vessel. Like blood flows through arteries and veins, I need an image of something similar for the Ki to not disperse, all to turn the foreign Ki into my own.

...

...

Finally, after who knows how long, I was able to make this work. The efficiency was the worst I had seen, but I was able to use Senjutsu, although for only something simple like helping to reduce the pain I felt.

In my head, I began to imagine how much further I could go with this unrefined use of Ki, but it was unrealistic to escape this place with just this. Liberating me from the things that limit my use of Ki is the least of the requirements I need to fulfill. In particular, the one in my neck has to come off. This damned thing sends an electric shock whenever that man wants. I had tried refusing his orders before and I got a taste of the good and ol' electricity discharge which he kept until I fainted. I won't be going more than a few steps with this attached to me.

I don't want to leave those two behind either, it doesn't feel right. I never liked what they went through so I would like to do something about it. However, that is easy to say. I can't even help myself so helping them is beyond reckless.

Keep thinking is the only thing I can do now, along with practicing using Ki from outside my body. I must make use of the time I have instead of just laying down even if the pain has raised somewhat.

...

...

A few hours later, I was brought to the operating table again, a process that I had unwillingly gotten used to.

Lying down, I was expecting the familiar feeling of the anesthesia, but I never felt the injection. A little confused I turned my head in the direction of that man.

"Oh, were you waiting for the procedure to start already? Eager, aren't you?" The man said in his now-familiar sadistic smile.

As if, you piece of-

"Well, sorry to disappoint you but there has been a minor delay with the people who are bringing me my 'supplies' for the surgery but don't worry, the wait will worth it". The man explained as he began reading a few documents.

I don't mind if they delay their delivery all day. 

Taking this rare opportunity to glance around the room, I began to inspect what I can see from my position and what the damned light pointing my way allows me to.

There is new equipment in the operation room, which I don't recall seeing in any of the other procedures. This can't be good.

Hmmm... This is... This could help me. Besides the operation table, this man always has a small table with all his instruments. Now that I thought about it, every single time that table is in the same place. If I extend my hand, I could get something I could use as a weapon. Should I use this opportunity?

Before I could decide, the door leading to the operation room opened. A man came through it moving a huge glass cylinder filled with some sort of liquid. Wait, what is that thing floating inside?

"You finally arrived, leave it there and help me get the body out". The man ordered as soon as noticed the new presence in the room.

The body? There is a body inside?

Somehow, I think I know where this is going. I have read enough novels to have an idea about it.

I was about to move my hand to grab the first sharp object I found, but that man turned around to look at me, I could only hide my hand hastily to avoid being found out.

"See this? It is the body of an original devil, one of the seventy-two original devils made by Lucifer-sama and Lilith-sama. Every procedure from before was to prepare your body for this. Adding little cells into your body until you got used to it... all for this. Remember, I have big expectations for the success of this experiment. Don't disappoint me and die in the process". The man said as he applied me anesthesia with an injection.

Scr*w you, b*stard. I don't want to fulfill any of those damned expectations.

Losing consciousness, I barely managed to see the body. It belonged to a young woman with black hair... Who was she? This was the only question I could formulate in my head before I was knocked out.

---------------------------------------------

3rd Person POV

"Naberius-sama, Is it alright?" The man who just brought the giant tube asked.

"What is it?" Theodore Naberius replied somewhat distracted.

Watching as his superior neatly arranged the body he just brought in, the man debated whether he should say this or not, but he spoke at the end.

"I know that this project is about reproducing the power of the original devils but... This woman, her powers were not used in combat. Is it alright to use? Because Naberius-sama is..." The man stopped and seemed to hesitate to speak the rest of his words.

Understanding what his subordinate meant even without saying it, Theodore spoke.

“It is ok, I understand. I am certainly more interested in pursuing power, but there was not much I could do. These were orders from the higher-ups. They were incredibly eager to have someone who could use her powers. Many grieved when she died without leaving behind any descendants, and now that there was a chance to reproduce her powers again". Theodore explained as finished with his arrangements.

Understanding and not understanding at the same time, the man just remained silent. It was not his place to comment since their patrons asked for it.

"Now leave, I will do this alone like always". Theodore ordered, ending the conversation at once.

Obeying the orders, the man just left. It was a habit that his superior acquired as of late, to work alone. The incident with the human scientist raised his level of distrust for others. The accident served as the trigger that reinforced the idea the working with others led to undesired results.

Leaving the operation room, he just went to complete any remaining tasks he had for the day.

Part 5

MC’s POV

Even though I try to focus on other things, the pain is affecting me more than any other time. My body is sore all over and my left eye feels like burning. I don't know what kind of things he did to me this time around but it left me in my worst state so far.

It truly brought a new level of appreciation for what Kuroka-chan did for me before. She did nothing special, there was not a special technique involved, just being held in her embrace. However, having someone with you in these kinds of times makes a huge difference, and now that I am going through this alone, I learned that the hard way.

Just when I tried to use Senjutsu, I could not concentrate enough to complete the process of gathering Ki. It was another inconvenient point of this method, I needed higher focus.

With my mind in a fragile state, I could not help but remember a few things. Not exactly something I had forgotten, but I did try to get that off my head for the time being.

Kaa-san. 

Was she alright? Did she go back on her own? How about those two pairs of lovers? Did they escape at the end? Did they meet with Yasaka-san and gave her the message that Kaa-san left? Yasaka-san... How are you? It has been a while so you probably had your child already. I am sorry for not being there for you. I miss you. I truly do,  Kaa-san as well.

How lame of me, getting all emotional like this. Being vulnerable physically affects people mentally as well, I recall reading that among Kaa-san’s books. I will sleep and let the drowsiness sink in to make me forget about those worries, for now, the worries that I can't do anything about.

...

...

...

Opening my eyes the next day, I found myself being stared at by two pairs of cat-like eyes, a pair golden and the other hazel-gold.

What?

"What happened to you while I was gone?" Kuroka-chan questioned with slight anger in her voice, she even forgot to add 'nya' in her words.

If she came while I was sleeping, did she found me tossing in my sleep? That is something that could worry people.

"What are you talking about? I am fine". I answered in a cheery tone, trying to reassure her.

Unfortunately, her face does not look like she bought my words. Shirone-chan could be seen frowning as well.

"Left eye... is different". Shirone-chan said as her line of sight was directed at my left eye.

No, no... Don’t joke around, please.

"You two are such a pair of pranksters". I uttered.

I would like to think this is a joke, but that man is a sicko, who knows what kind of stuff he did. There is no pain in my eye though so I don't think he swapped my eye, probably.

"Your left eye is not completely green like before-nya, It now has a tinge of blue too, and I am being serious here Nora-nya". Kuroka-chan muttered in a firm tone of voice.

Noticing how serious she is trying to be, I was not going to reply with a joke even if it was meant to lighten the mood.

"I see... If what you said it's the truth... then my eye is looking as you described. I can't see it, but I trust your words. Thank you for worrying about me, and thank you for getting angry for my sake, Kuroka-chan. However, I am ok. Nothing happened". I explained calmly.

It is probably useless to try to hide what is happening to me now considering this case, and the one from before. Yet, I don't think these two deserve to carry or worry about my problems too when they have been through difficult situations as well.

"You... *Sigh* Alright-nya. You don't want to talk about it, I get it-nya". Kuroka-chan said with a bitter expression on her face.

"Sorry..." I muttered in a low tone of voice.

It is not fair to involve them in my problems, although turning down someone’s goodwill is not something nice to do.

"I am sure you will soon tell your 'Onee-chan' since I will be coming here more often-nya. You will be a good little brother, right-nya?" Kuroka-chan said with a strange glint in her eyes.

She is not giving up huh.

"Hmm, yeah... No". I replied.

I will not give in, probably, I mean, yeah, never.

"I am the older one here so you have to listen to me; you can't be like that-nya". Kuroka-chan pouted.

If your start pouting I don't think I can take your words seriously. I mean, seriously stop. You look extremely adorable.

How can this child become that voluptuous Onee-san? The common sense of this world is too different from my previous one.

Talking about adorable children, I fail to see someone. Where is that loli version of the already loli Koneko, Shirone-chan? She suddenly disappeared from my view. Sitting up, I move my gaze around the room to locate her. I did not take long to find her eating snacks in one corner of my bed curled. As she noticed me looking at her, she ate at a faster pace with the snacks in her hands, and when she finished she said.

"Won't give... Mine". Shirone-chan exclaimed in the most serious tone I have ever heard her speaking in our short meeting.

Yeah, I think it would be better if I don't mess up with that girl. As I am now, she could probably sweep the floor with me easily.

"Hey, are you listening to me-nya?" Kuroka-chan called to me.

She grabbed my head and turned it to face her. You are a close girl. Don't you know about personal space? Hmmm? I can see my reflection in her eyes, aha, my eye is truly like they said. What the heck did that sicko do?

"I can hear you just fine". I replied to her before she began pouting again.

"I was asking you how you are feeling-nya. Last time you even fell asleep, has the pain bothered you again-nya?" Kuroka-chan asked in concern.

Why do you want to know...? Aren't you having it hard on your own?

"Don't worry about it..." I replied.

I should probably receive some divine punishment for rejecting her concern.

"You are not being honest-nya..." She crestfallenly said.

"By the way... Are you sure you can be here?" I asked something to change the subject, although I was curious about it too.

These two have their rooms somewhere else since I have not seen them before on this floor, so if they had come here before, it was when I was sleeping. They probably did not stay enough to meet them whenever I walked around the floor.

"You are changing the subject-nya. I will answer though. I was allowed a free level of access to different areas in these facilities as long I stayed away from certain places-nya. Your Onee-chan is great-nya. You can be amazed and start calling me Onee-chan already-nya". Kuroka-chan uttered with a hint of pride in her voice.

She is rather valued here huh... as expected. Kuroka-chan must be going through that experiment after all. It's quite disheartening.

"How about no? Please give up". I answered her obvious request.

"Never! I will have you call me like that or my name is not Kuroka-nya". Kuroka-chan instantly replied.

Hmmm?

"But your name is not Kuroka-nya, so you will stop already? Good". I teased after considering her words.

Tilting her head thoughtfully at my answer, Kuroka-chan seemed to realize that I was making fun of her.

"Eh? No-nya. I am Kuroka. Not Kuroka-nya". Replied the cat girl fumingly.

What is this...? This feeling of fulfillment as Kuroka-chan stared at me while she seemed slightly upset at my words. It is somewhat amusing to tease her.

"No, no... You clearly said that you are Kuroka-nya. Now you are trying to go back on your words. Aren't you being unreliable here? And to think you wanted me to call you Onee-chan..." I said in mock disappointment, I didn't forget to add a shake of my head and a shrug of shoulders.

I am not sure if I was a good actor or perhaps she is too gullible, but she took my words seriously.

"I AM reliable-nya. I am the oldest one here so I get to be the big sister anyways-nya". Kuroka-chan said while putting a hand on her chest and then pointing to each of the people (cats) in the room.

Too bad, I am the oldest... wait. Does that mean that I get to have these two to call me Onii-chan...? The dream of too many could be accomplished if I play my cards right.

"I don't know what you are thinking but with that face, it can't be anything good-nya". Kuroka-chan said as she moved away from me, even Shirone-chan got off from the bed as well.

Hey, how rude.

"It was nothing much... just a fleeting thought". I lied.

"You are weird child-nya". Kuroka-chan uttered as she got on the bed again, sitting beside me, following along, Shirone-chan seated beside Kuroka-chan.

It kind of hurt me that the white-haired loli agreed by nodding her head as well. I mean... Kuroka-chan adds 'nya' in her sentences. I can't be any weirder myself... right? Right?

...

...

Minutes had gone by and we remained seated together. There was plenty of bantering between Kuroka-chan and me. It was rather interesting to talk to her, and her reactions were rather funny. We even managed to make Shirone-chan laugh, although she denied doing it when Kuroka-chan pointed it out.

It is a little different from how I got along with Rias-chan and Sona-chan. Well, we did not have much chance to speak with each other either so I can't describe our relationship that well. However, it is not like I value them any differently. Although I have to say, there is a distinction between them. What I felt with one pair in each situation was different so it can't be described in the same way.

In the case of Rias-chan and Sona-chan, I found their child-like innocence and their free spirit while we played around somewhat nostalgic. Perhaps when we meet again it will be different. Nevertheless, I won't forget that in our first meeting they made me remember a sentiment I thought I was never going to feel again.

As for the Nekomata pair-

If I were to describe the feeling, I think I would call it being comfortable. I had been feeling lonely and these two just by being here took care of that. I just feel at peace and, yeah, I guess I also feel safe.

"What are you thinking-nya?" Kuroka-chan asked since I remained silent for too long.

"Thinking..." I replied languidly.

I don't feel like doing anything, to be honest. My head is spinning.

"What is it-nya? Something interesting? Tell me-nya". Kuroka-chan inquired in a cheery tone.

Bored, aren’t you?

"I am just glad that I met you... even though you shook me that much during our first meeting". I replied jokingly to Kuroka-chan as I changed my position to be lying down.

I don't think I can have a conversation like this, sorry you two.

"...You don't have to remember that part! Nora-nya, why don't lie down on my lap if you are not feeling good?" Kuroka-chan asked in a concerned tone by my sudden action.

"Maybe in ten more years, I would happily take that offer". I replied jokingly to try to dispel her worries.

Getting out here is necessary if I continue receiving more procedures... I won't be able to survive no matter how tough I am. I have always been a healthy kid so these sudden symptoms have to be because of the operation.

I had to close my eyes because everything just moved in circles so I could not see what kind of expression Kuroka-chan was making. I also did not pay attention to what she said.

Relax, breathe slowly. Empty your mind.

Now I feel my surroundings spinning too. Why does it always get worse?

Suddenly I felt a hand softly caressing my hair. It feels nice.

-------------------------------------------------

Kuroka’s POV

Now that Nora was lying down, Kuroka just continued caressing his hair. It was the only thing she could relieve some of his discomforts.

"In ten years... You just wait". Kuroka muttered determinately.

Looking at their interactions from the side, Shirone could not help but comment.

"Nee-sama... You seem to be having fun..." Shirone said in the same low tone of voice she always spoke.

In response to those words, Kuroka slightly smiled.

"You also had your fun, didn't you? I saw you trying to hold back a smile more than once". Kuroka teased.

"I did not". Shirone replied while pursing her lips.

Slightly annoyed, Shirone just curled in one corner of the bed to sleep.

"It is quite late-nya and you are planning to sleep again-nya? Are you planning to stay here for the night too-nya?" Kuroka curiously asked.

She was already used to her little sister's behavior. Moving away from her was rather common whenever Shirone was grumpy or sulky. Usually, she would leave her alone until she is in good mood again. However, this time it was not the same as before, it was getting late, and they were in Nora's room. She is also a little bit hungry as well.

At those words, Shirone got off the bed reluctantly.

"Let's go..." Shirone muttered as she walked out of the room. As she walked through the door, she glanced at Kuroka still caressing Nora's hair.

Kuroka did not miss that glance.

"Are you worried about him-nya? He just fell asleep so he must be a least feeling a tiny bit better-nya, although we can stay if you are worried-nya~". Kuroka playfully said.

To Kuroka, it looked that Shirone was concerned and interested in Nora, although she was too shy to show it.

It was a normal occurrence; Nora was the only child she had met in a long time. Unfortunately, she was clumsy at communicating properly so it was too hard for her to approach him or so Kuroka thinks, and if Shirone could open up more, it would please Kuroka a lot.

"No... He needs to rest". Shirone replied after frowning for a moment. She seemed to consider that he would get better faster in a silent environment.

Accepting her little sister's wishes, Kuroka ruffled Nora's hair before following after Shirone.

63