Chapter 3: Master
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Morning was announced by a light chime from a silvery bell. Ka opened his eyes and groaned, still quite groggy. He shifted as if to get up and grunted when his progress was halted. He groaned again, hand wrapping around the chain as he glared at it. Then he recoiled again, realizing his hair was wet. He’d knocked over the goblet in the night and he frowned at the waste, pulling against the chain again in vain.

Ka stilled, gasping slightly as Re’s low voice rumbled through the room. “Must you be so loud?” Ka’s mind was waking up, remembering where he was. He looked around, able to see the prince’s sandaled feet at one side of the bed. Adorning himself in finery again, Ka imagined with a small frown. Then his stomach gave a low growl and he cringed again, cheeks flushing. He only flushed darker when Prince Re chuckled. “He will need food as well,” the man said, addressing someone Ka couldn’t see. “And more water. Perhaps a bowl?” He laughed again, his tone teasing.

Ka’s hand again found its way to the heavy lock that kept him trapped. He gripped it as if he could pull it away himself, but of course it remained firm. Somewhat defeated, Ka decided to ask his prince for some kindness. “Please, sire-“

“Yes, you keep saying that,” Re stopped him. He stood from the bed, moving to where he could look down at his pet. Ka swallowed, not understanding, but certain he would not like whatever was to come. Re pulled the iron key from a pouch tied at his waist and met Ka’s gaze with a smile. “You should be calling me ‘master’.”

Ka’s eyes widened in surprise, his jaw dropping slightly. A moment later he voiced the protest, expression pulling down in a frown. “You expect me to-“

“Obey your prince?” the redhead interrupted him again. Ka stopped and blinked, stunned into stillness once more. He had decided not to fight, but this was too much. Still, this man was his prince, a man he would have obeyed without question out on the streets or working on a job. The redhead was frowning at him now and demanded, “Say it.”

Ka’s eyes slowly dropped, turning to the stone floor in an effort to focus only on it. “Master,” he said quietly.

“Yes?” the prince asked as if Ka had called for his attention. Then his voice dropped again, laced with malice as he reminded, “Ask properly.”

Ka’s jaw clenched. He was quiet for a long minute; this was more difficult than he expected. Finally though he spoke in a quiet, mostly steady voice. “May I sit up . . . please . . . Master.”

The prince shifted, stepping onto the chain as he knelt. “That is good enough for now, but I know you can do better.” He reached to undo the lock, measuring out some slack in the chain before reattaching the limiter. Then he stood aside and Ka was allowed to push himself up. He grunted when he was stopped, still not able to sit fully upright. He was still forced to bow, head held at about the level of his shoulders. Ka set his jaw and leaned forward onto his hands to find a more comfortable posture. At least he would be able to eat like this when food was brought. And drink, he thought as Prince Re set his refilled goblet in front of him. “You need water,” the prince said simply.

Ka barely hesitated, licking dry lips as he reached for the vessel. Leaning on one elbow he could bring the cup to his lips, tilting the cool liquid into his mouth. It tasted like heaven. Ka’s eyes fell shut, gulping the water down greedily. He was going to drain the goblet, but startled slightly at a touch on his arm. The prince was there again, kneeling beside him to push the goblet down. Ka blinked, pulling back a bit from the sudden nearness.

The redhead looked amused. A small smile graced his features, warmer than the mocking grin he seemed so fond of. “Slowly.”

Ka swallowed, lowering his eyes again as he felt his cheeks flush once more with embarrassment. As the prince pulled away though, he minded the advice and took only a slow sip. It was unwise to gulp water so quickly into an empty stomach. It was difficult to restrain himself when it felt as if he’d swallowed the whole desert, but Ka was able to do so. He still emptied the goblet by the time the servant returned with the morning meal. The woman brought the large tray of delicious foods to a table for the prince. Then she lifted a much smaller tray from the corner and brought this over to Ka. The scribe felt his lips twist into a scowl, fingers tightening on the goblet. The woman had indeed brought him bowls, one filled with water, the other with plain chunks of cooked meat. Ka glared at the meal and made no move for it.

He gasped, startled again as Re gently touched his arm. Ka focused on him, the anger fading again at least while he was surprised. It wasn’t just the sudden nearness – Ka was still struggling to accustom himself to his new damaged vision, which hid details and masked fine motion. It was also the fact that it was the prince, near enough to touch, casually laying a hand on his arm as if they weren’t separated by an infinite chasm of differences. Their stations could not be further apart, and Ka at least was keenly aware of how unworthy society deemed him in this royal man’s presence.

Re pulled the goblet away from the other’s loosened grip, taking it to the table. He said nothing, but filled the silvery cup with fresh cool water and brought it back to hand to Ka. Then he turned away, still without a word, to settle into his chair for his own meal. Ka watched him, his curiosity about the man only growing. Prince Re didn’t really seem cruel. Insistent, yes . . . but he seemed almost caring in moments like this. With a small huff, Ka turned his gaze away again. His eyes landed on his ‘meal’ and Ka’s stomach again let out a low growl. With another sigh he picked up a bit of meat with his fingers and popped it into his mouth. It was actually seasoned fairly nicely, and at least he wasn’t expected to actually drink from the bowl, Ka consoled himself. He felt the need to take any victory he could, knowing they would be fleeting and few.

Ka’s food disappeared rather quickly. It was enough to fill his belly, but not enough to truly satisfy him. Still sipping at his water, Ka found his gaze pulled again to the other man in the room. Prince Re sat straight in his chair, leaning over his sumptuous meal slightly as he ate. He moved with a casual grace that was obvious even blurred in the distance, brushing back his long hair before reaching for some delicacy Ka could not actually see. He had a poise to his movements, an unhurried certainty that stood out to the scribe.

Before long the prince was finishing his meal, lifting his own glass to drain what was left. He set it aside and turned, smiling as his eyes met Ka’s. “Enjoying the view?” The prince chuckled slightly and Ka frowned, looking away again. “Or are you still hungry? That was a rather meager meal.” The man stood, still focused on Ka.

The scribe kept his eyes lowered and answered, “I’m fine.” He didn’t need more and he certainly wasn’t going to ask for anything.

Re calmly strode over to him. Ka flinched as the redhead lay a hand on his head, petting his hair slightly. “Calm down,” the prince chuckled without moving away. “You’ll be alone here for some time, I want to be sure you are comfortable.”

“Comfortable?!” Ka snapped and looked up to glare. His hand wrapped around the chain that kept him trapped where he was in what was becoming a reflexive gesture.

“As comfortable as one can make it for a disobedient dog,” the prince said with anger in his voice. He practically shoved Ka’s head away and bent to lift his food tray, leaving the water bowl. The scribe pressed his lips together, forcing himself to keep quiet. He didn’t look up again until Prince Re returned. He had gathered what food he didn’t eat onto one silver plate and he knelt again to set this beside Ka’s goblet. But then the prince simply straightened again. He moved to a chest of drawers that stood in the far corner, admiring himself in the large mirror that sat atop it. Then with another flip of that fiery hair he made for the door and Ka was left alone.

The scribe stared at the closed door for a while. Then slowly he turned his attention back to the food. He lifted his goblet for more sweet, cool water. It still tasted like heaven. As he set it aside again, his focus was on the food: scrumptious bites of a decadent meal of such high quality that he could have lived his entire life without seeing its equal. He had always eaten fairly well in the past, but it paled when compared to the food of royalty, even just the leftovers. He was reaching for the plate as his mind supplied the word ‘scraps’.

Slowly he stopped, hand still outstretched. He was no pet to be given table scraps that his master decided he didn’t want. It was tempting almost beyond words . . . but Ka only picked up his goblet again for another drink. He turned his eyes back toward the door and wondered how long he was going to have to wait here alone.

-o-o-o-o-o-

1