Chapter 4: Disapproval
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the day dragged on, Ka’s stubbornness proved futile. By the time he would normally have a midday meal, he’d given in and snagged the bits of food that would have gone bad sitting in the heat. Each morsel was only a bite of two, but the quality was unmatched and finer than anything Ka had tasted in his life. The exquisite food of a prince.

The sun was beginning to sink in the sky and Re had yet to return. Not long ago a servant girl had entered, replacing the water pitcher with a new one. Ka had thought it signaled the prince’s return, but that didn’t seem to be the case. As the shadows began to lengthen, Ka lay on his side on the floor, eyes on the plate and the scraps that remained. His breakfast of cheap meat was all he’d had to eat in close to two days. Now he’d added to that a heavenly, tender meat that he couldn’t name, covered in a flavorful sauce of fresh herbs that made his mouth water now at the memory. He’d also had the last bite of a frozen fruit that would have been illegal for him to even purchase in the past.

It was pointless, Ka knew. He was going to give in, there was no reason to delay the act. The bit of bread and honeyed nuts remained on the plate, temping him, mocking him. As if accepting this food were agreeing to some form of contract with the prince. Ka’s stomach growled and he groaned. His breakfast hadn’t been enough for a full day, even with the extra sumptuous bites. He was going to give in and he would still probably be hungry, there really was no point in delaying the inevitable.

But Ka still waited. The things that he consumed, that was still within his own control, wasn’t it? His stomach growled again and Ka sighed. No, it wasn’t. Only the prince had control over him now, over his position, his food, anything he did. Even his water was apparently at the royal’s discretion and he’d run out of that as well after using the bowl to refill his cup. Slowly Ka pushed himself up and finally reached for the plate again.

The scribe couldn’t help but moan. The bread had been made that morning and was just as amazing as the rest had been. The honey was sweet, acting as a balm on his parched tongue. If only there was more fruit, he thought as he gathered the nuts to enjoy. He would be thirsty again soon, but the honey would stave it off a little while. Ka repeated this rationalization to himself as he gathered the remaining sticky drops onto his finger, letting none escape and moaning again at the taste.

Unnoticed behind the scribe, Prince Re stood silently in his doorway. One hand was still on the carved wood holding it open, but he stood frozen, enjoying this chance to observe his pet. The scribe was lying on his side still, his slim shoulders sagging in bliss as he enjoyed the treat. All games aside, Re was quite enjoying just admiring the picture his pet made. “Gorgeous,” he said softly as his smile grew.

Ka gasped loudly, spinning on the prince, wide-eyed. He jerked up in a fight reflex, but the chains held fast, rattling as he instead fell to the ground. Ka growled as he pushed himself back up, retaking his hunched position on hands and knees. He faced the prince as if bowing to him, but he was glaring darkly at the floor.

Prince Re chuckled slightly as he gracefully stalked into the room. “I was just coming to get you, it appears my timing is excellent.”

Unsurpassed, Ka thought to himself bitterly.

The prince stepped close, bending to pick up Ka’s goblet. He took it to the table to refill it from the pitcher the servant had brought. Then the prince brought it back and held it to Ka without setting it down. Ka pursed his lips and gave the royal an actual bow before he reached for the cup. “Thank you,” he muttered softly.

Prince Re brushed his hand along Ka’s as he pulled back. “Ah, so you are capable of proper respect! I suspect you can still do better though.” He remained where he was, knelt close to Ka. Once the scribe had taken another drink, Re reached for him again. Long pale fingers hooked into the collar, working open the puzzle lock with practiced speed. He removed the chain and then gave the collar itself another soft tug before standing.

At first Ka didn’t move. Instead he leaned his head back, letting out a small groan as he stretched his neck and shoulders. Re was still watching him, looking down at the other and admiring what he saw. Ka’s skin was nearly unscarred, the perfect canvas for the sparkling gold and emerald and ruby jewels that adorned his chest. As he stretched back, his torso arched out and the long line of his throat was only accented by the lack of jewelry there. He was thin, but Re could see his muscles ripple and shift as he moved. Ka glanced up at the redhead, but quickly looked away again. He slowly pushed himself up onto legs that hadn’t supported his weight since the day before. One hand rested on the corner of the bedframe to keep his balance and Ka slowly turned his eyes back to the prince.

“Good,” the royal said in approval. “Come.”

Ka frowned at the order and didn’t move. “Come where?”

“Wherever I say,” was the prince’s unconcerned response. He frowned at the other faintly and reached for him. The prince took hold of the chain connecting his wrists and turned to lead Ka away. However, as he pulled the scribe after him out the door, Re did elaborate. “We are going to take a bath.”

Another bath, Ka thought, keeping his silence. A chance to actually clean himself would be a welcome respite, but . . . would he clean himself? Images of his almost violent cleaning the previous day made him slow his steps. Re glanced back with a frown and gave his chains a tug to speed him again. Ka swallowed nervously, hoping for something less intrusive this time.

It was difficult to focus on the walls as they went and Ka’s gaze soon fell to the floor again. He tried to keep track of the number of turns and how long between each, but the truth was without a guide he would be utterly lost. The thought did not sit well with him. Soon though, they had reached the bath, the same large room Ka had seen before, with a dozen servants already moving around the space.

As he stepped into the warm, moist air, Prince Re held out his hand, passing the chain to a servant as if on instinct. The prince stepped aside, moving to one wall where a vanity stood with a grand mirror. Ka’s gaze lingered on the prince, but then the servant was pulling him the other way. Not towards the water, but towards a different wall. There were a few pillars set between the water and the wall over here. Ka frowned uncomfortably, trying to make out the details from so far. There were a few spots that glimmered like metal, like hooks for display.

Gods, was he going to be a display?!

Ka stopped walking at the thought, pulling back when the servant tried to just tug him along. Before it could escalate further than that, Prince Re’s voice cut through the room. “No! Undo his chains, let him clean.”

The servant bowed immediately, muttering, “Of course, my prince,” before he turned back. He reached for the collar, undoing the puzzle lock with the same skill as the prince. He did the same for the golden cuffs, then began to strip Ka of the jewels he wore. All of them were gathered into a small basket, which was set aside with the cuffs glittering on top. Then the servant stepped aside, allowing Ka to disrobe himself. He did so and put the garment with the jewelry, then turned to find the prince.

Re was still at the vanity, washing his face in the basin that sat there. He glanced up, looking at Ka in the mirror as the scribe wandered over uncertainly. “I’m certain you need to tend your ablutions. Take some time and then join me in the water.” The redhead turned, looking the other man over once more with a smile. Then he turned away again, motioning to another servant as he stepped forward to the bath, carelessly dropping his own silk clothing onto the floor. The girl began to play, gentle flute music filling the air as the prince stepped down into the water.

Ka kept his eyes on the prince for a minute, lips still pursed in a frown. Then he turned, stepping to a small area beside the vanity. It was separated from the room by heavy curtains and Ka stepped beyond them to find the toilet. A necessity he was grateful he was able to tend to. The scribe took a little extra time, reveling in the moment to himself. No watchful eyes, no chains . . . but the flute music was a reminder of the others in the room and Prince Re, waiting for him.

With some regret, Ka slowly stepped out into the main room again. He hesitated, turning to look towards the door. Or- he thought that was the door . . . the room was large enough he wasn’t sure. The open archway blended into the rest of the out-of-focus sandstone walls. He felt his frown deepen and one hand rubbed the opposite wrist. Something in his core screamed at him to run, trust his dim vision and just go. But as he thought about actually trying to get away, navigating halls that he didn’t know and couldn’t see, filled with servants and guards that would only too happily return him to the prince, Ka’s head dropped.

The scribe stepped towards the sunken bath, kneeling at the edge to climb down into the water. With little warning, Prince Re suddenly stood before him in the water, looking up at the brunet. “Wait a moment,” the prince said and Ka froze where he was. “Let me look at you,” the prince ordered.

Ka growled slightly before he could stop the sound. “How?” he asked tersely, tense as if expecting an attack.

“Kneel where you are. Properly,” Re demanded. He stepped back slightly, his gaze focused on Ka. The scribe frowned more, but he did as he was told, settling with his knees at the lip of the bath. One hand rested in his lap, hiding his groin slightly. The other hand settled around his waist, hiding the shining patch of skin on his stomach. He didn’t look at the prince, bracing for whatever else he decided he wanted. The royal stepped close again, laying a hand on his pet’s knee. “Calm down,” he said when Ka flinched slightly. “You act as if my touch will burn you.”

Ka ground his teeth together, swallowing a few choice comments about the acidity of wealth and power. He submitted to the casual exam, allowing the prince to pull one arm towards him, pale fingers circling his wrist. The redhead frowned a bit, sliding his hand higher up Ka’s arm, fingers still encircling it. Ka still kept quiet but he couldn’t help a short huff of disapproval

Instantly Prince Re’s eyes snapped to his face. “What?” he demanded.

Ka met his gaze for just a moment before looking away again. “Nothing.”

“No!” Re snapped. “You have something to say, say it.” Ka pursed his lips again, bowing his head without a word and the prince growled at him. “You disapprove?”

Ka slowly shook his head. “I would never disagree with my prince.”

“Your what?” Re growled menacingly, his hand tightening around Ka’s arm.

The scribe cringed again, but corrected himself. “My . . . master.”

Re was the one to huff this time, releasing his hold and stepping back again. “Come in, enjoy the water before it cools.”

Ka hesitated for a long moment before he shifted again, swinging his legs over the edge and stepping down into the bath. The water was still quite warm and pleasant. It glistened iridescent from oils on the surface. Pleasant smelling things like flowers and sandalwood had been added as well and the air still flowed with sweet music. Despite his lingering tension, Ka felt himself begin to relax.

Until the prince wandered close again, casually running a hand along his shoulders as he passed. Ka tensed again, keeping an eye on the royal as Re sank deeper into the water. “Tell me, pet, what you wanted to say before.”

Ka glowered slightly at the water, not looking at the other. “It is not my place to disagree with my p- master.”

Re shook his head though, still not willing to accept that. “Enough,” he snapped and stood again in the waist-deep water. He reached for Ka’s chin and forced his gaze up, frowning at him. “Stop lying to me or you’ll be punished. Answer.”

Ka kept his eyes down, even still caught in the prince’s grip. Slowly though he licked his lips and took a breath. “I . . . that is, you seem to disapprove of my physique.”

“I’ll make sure you are brought more food with breakfast,” Re said as if confirming it.

Ka only frowned more deeply. “I am exactly as healthy as your guards ensured I would be.”

Prince Re frowned at that, pulling his hand back slowly. “How is that then?”

Ka rolled his eyes, his tone becoming tired as if explaining to a child. “I lost weight in prison. My meals were not very nourishing either. You didn’t care then, and you give no thought to those still in prison cells, wasting away on starvation rations. You only dislike that your pet is not healthy.”

For a long moment, Re did not move. His eyes were on his pet, but his thoughts drifted back to their meeting. A dozen criminals or so had been returned to their cells, Re knew. The official had already tried to schedule his time again, but Re was busy with this new game and had simply brushed him off. Looking at Ka now, he just shook his head again “The people in my prisons are criminals, are you suggesting I should concern myself with their diets?”

Slowly Ka shook his head in return. “The criminals in your prison are people. And yes, you are supposed to be concerned for all of us.” He sighed again and sunk into the water, conceding the argument, knowing he would not win. “We know it is possible to gain your favor, I certainly have, but no one knows how to do it. Royal concerns are far different from those of real people.”

Re kept watching him, sinking into the warm bath again himself. After another minute he asked, “What else do you disapprove of?”

Ka glanced at him and away. He sighed slightly and protested, “It really isn’t my place . . .”

“I want to hear what you have to say,” Re said quickly and with none of the malice from before. He looked at Ka with curiosity, wondering what else the scribe could see that simply didn’t occur to the prince. “Yesterday, I heard you in the sentencing, you let out that same annoyed noise.”

“I did,” Ka confirmed and looked back at the other man. There was enough space between them that his features were indistinct, but Ka could tell he was the focus of the prince’s attention. He sighed slightly. “You remember my response, do you even remember what caused it?”

The prince didn’t answer right away. He didn’t remember really and struggled to think back. There had been a man, a terrorist, but he didn’t remember hearing Ka then. He remembered a young girl with the foul mouth of a sailor . . .

Under his gaze, Ka let out the same disapproving huff and shook his head again. “We really are just passing fancies to you.”

Prince Re’s frown suddenly returned. “You are not. And you have yet to tell me how well you can see.” The prince rose again, standing over Ka as he brought up the grievance again.

“Well enough,” the scribe muttered again as his answer. He shifted back slightly, suddenly feeling vulnerable and nervous in the water.

Re’s temper was indeed rising and he asked. “What about that scar you keep trying to hide? Was that gained during your rampage?”

Ka growled, bristling in response to the angry questioning. “That wasn’t in the report of my crimes?”

Re moved in an instant. His hand tangled in Ka’s hair, harshly pulling him completely beneath the water. The scribe yelped and twisted on instinct, grabbing at the other man and knocking him off his feet as well. Ka felt the prince’s other hand wrap around one of his wrists and he forced the scribe away. A moment later Ka was pulled upward again into the air. He coughed slightly before losing his balance as he was shoved away further.

Prince Re stepped back, putting even more space between them and glaring at his rebellious pet. “We will return to this later,” he promised. Then he turned to climb from the water, fixing his mussed hair as he did. Servants were moving around him at once, gently drying him and bringing his jewels over. The same man that had styled Ka’s hair took over fixing the prince’s red locks.

Ka remained in the bath, catching his breath. He was still watching the prince when Re turned back to meet his gaze. “Get out, we’re going back to my chambers.” Ka didn’t move and the prince turned to the servants instead. “Get him out.”

“No, I’m coming,” Ka said quickly, preventing the need to be swarmed again by these men and women. He moved to the stairs Re had used, climbing out of the bath near the prince. The servants still flit around him, drying him and helping clasp the jewels onto him, just as they had helped Prince Re. Then came the heavier collar and Re turned to close the cuffs on his wrists personally.

Then the prince gripped his chin again, forcing his eyes up, and frowned in his face. “I want to hear what you have to say, pet. But I will not allow you to disrespect me, do not do it again.”

He pulled away abruptly, hand closing instead on the chain between Ka’s wrists to lead him away. Ka’s pulse was still fast, breaths a little shallow from the rush of adrenaline. He kept his eyes up, trying again to see as he was led. The first thing he noticed was that he was not led to where he’d thought the door was. As he followed Prince Re into the hall again it was only two turns before he lost track of the path and Ka hung his head again.

Re didn’t speak until they’d reached his chambers again. Still angry, he tugged Ka back to the bed before demanding, “Kneel!”

You could fight, Ka thought and a part of him really wanted to. Re was taller, but he was unskilled, the tousle in the water had made that abundantly clear. But if he fought- then what? Re was scowling now, still holding Ka’s chains and close enough the scribe could see the expression clearly. With no other option open to him, Ka let out a long breath and sank down to his knees.

Re knelt with him, grabbing the thicker chain. He put a hand on Ka’s neck to push him into a bow, low enough that he could be chained again. “You should apologize,” he said as he finished. Ka said nothing and the prince scoffed slightly. “I will bring you something to eat before bed.” He stood, shaking his head and moving for the door.

Ka waited until the door shut before he sighed deeply. He lay back down on his side, left alone again. He regretted his stubborn outburst, fighting the prince was only going to make him more miserable here. It was just that he reacted poorly to such entitled arrogance. He wasn’t going to apologize for not coddling the man’s ego . . . but he could have at least not roused his anger. With another sigh, he shut his eyes, hoping a nap would pass the last of the day more quickly.

-o-o-o-o-o-

1