Chapter 9: Library
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ka didn't really know many myths by heart. The battles of the sun god were easy to remember, mostly, but after that he wasn't sure what he was going to tell. He reached the end of the victories and after that he only knew the myths of the sun god's death. That did not seem like a proper follow-up, so the scribe fell quiet. Prince Re took notice after a moment and turned to look at him. “Why did you stop?”

“Because that's the end of the story,” Ka said simply before adding, “That's all I know, Master.”

Re sighed a bit, but he nodded and turned back to continue their path. “Do you know any more?”

Ka frowned and decided on a half truth, answering, “Not really.”

Re glanced back again with a disbelieving look. He didn't comment though, instead asking, “Do you know any more poems?”

“Um . . .” Ka was more hesitant to answer this time. “Not that would be appropriate . . .”

The prince spun on him gleefully. “You mean you know dirty poems, don't you!”

Ka cringed slightly, his cheeks darkly flushed. “Please don't make me recite them.”

Re burst into laughter and turned to continue their path, giving a soft tug to get Ka moving again. “No no. At least not in public. Tell me what you do know,” he said, still chuckling.

Ka let out a low groan, but he bowed his head to think. “I can probably recall another few tales about the former kings, perhaps about your father.”

“No!” Re snapped at him. “No more kings and gods and war! What else do you know?”

The scribe fell silent again in thought. That limited his options severely. “Well, some poetry um, for lovers. I know some love ballads too,” he added quickly. That was just as inappropriate, but considerably less embarrassing. Prince Re only chuckled again. Ka let out another groan. “Uh, I can tell you the account details of a few noblemen. And I think I can recall the invitation a family was sending out for their marriage, but it's already taken place. That's really all I can say.”

Prince Re made a thoughtful noise as they went, falling quiet for a while. “I suppose stories don't have quite the repetition value as music,” he finally muttered. Then he turned with another small grin to say, “You will have to choose some good ones to learn for me.”

Ka sighed, but he nodded. The pair continued in silence, the prince leading the way towards the back of the palace, where the guards' barracks stood. It was louder back here and the sound only grew the further they went. Ka looked up again, but all he could make out were more stone hallways and fuzzy, indecipherable patches of color from rugs and tapestries. It wasn't long though before the space around them opened into a grand room.

They stood on a second level, overlooking what appeared to be a training area. Even from this distance Ka could make out the guards, lined up in uniform rows as they went through drills. They were in their full armor as well, which meant a shining breastplate with the sun symbol of the kingdom, helmet, and metal greaves and bracers. Each soldier held their weapon for this practice as well. Most had short swords, but there was a group practicing with polearms and another with more exotic weapons Ka couldn't make out. After a moment watching the glinting, glittering figures, Ka turned his gaze on the prince again. Was this going to be like the dancers, he wondered. Was the prince merely here to observe perfection and then demand still more practice?

The redhead remained quiet, watching the training for a few minutes. When he finally moved again it was to turn to Ka. “I should arrange some exercise for you. Something else to occupy your time when I am elsewhere.” He turned away again without letting Ka answer, only pulling the scribe after him, sweeping down a nearby staircase. Ka struggled not to lose his footing, still off balance as Re pulled him onward. Then suddenly the prince stopped, finding one of the supervising generals.

“Ah, Prince Re, welcome.” The man instantly came to attention when he noticed his prince.

Re nodded to the man, then asked with no preamble. “What is the normal training schedule?”

The man hesitated, his eyes sliding to Ka before he answered. “My men train every other day, sire. Is there a reason you wish to know?”

The prince didn't answer him, turning to Ka again instead. “Of course you probably need to get back in proper shape before joining a real training session.”

Behind him, the general's eyes widened and he let out an almost horrified gasp. “I would not allow a criminal to train with palace guards!”

Re turned back with a glare and snapped, “You would if I ordered it!”

The man struggled a moment before he bowed. “Of course I would, my prince.”

“I'm not sure this is a good idea at all,” Ka murmured. He wanted to go somewhere more private to say anything, but Ka did not feel safe here. The general's gaze was on him again as he straightened. Ka remembered the guard he'd met the previous night and his anger when he learned exactly who Ka was. The guard had used the word 'massacre' and being here now made the scribe very nervous.

Re barely glanced at Ka, turning and simply leading him away again. “Training would do you good. I think-”

Whatever he thought, Ka wouldn't know. They were interrupted by a hurried and whining voice. “Prince Re! My Lord, I've found you.”

Re's earlier thought trailed away in a growl. He lifted his free hand to his head, rubbing at his temple as he turned to face the obnoxious official that was scurrying up to him. “Much to my dismay. What do you want?”

The man bowed, then sort of peeked up at the prince without rising. “We are ready for another sentencing, if you are ready, my lord.”

Re pinched at the bridge of his nose and growled again. By his side, Ka let out a disapproving huff. Suddenly the prince glared at him and yanked on his chains. Ka stumbled forward a step, yelping as he caught himself. He looked up to find Re scowling at him, but Ka only glared back. “Do you have something to say?” Re asked after a moment, not releasing his gaze.

Ka lifted his chin slightly. “No, Master. Only waiting for you to brush aside the lives of a few dozen people.”

The official let out a horrified gasp.

The general growled loudly, “How dare you!”

Prince Re looked thoughtful. His gaze shifted, roaming along his pet's thin frame for a few moments. “Very well,” he finally said and turned back to the official. The man gasped in surprise and quickly bowed even lower, thanking him profusely. Re waved him off. “I will be along shortly,” he said as he turned to go.

Ka followed with a final glance back at the other men. He was rather surprised to have convinced the redhead so easily. As he was led along another hall, Ka spoke again quietly. “I understand it is a chore for you, but for some of those people, this is their whole life.”

“I said I would do it today,” Re sighed. “A king is nothing if you cannot rely on his word.” He continued to lead the scribe and as they turned down another hall he finally looked back at him again. “I also promised you a book.”

Ka was led through another doorway, past the guard posted there. The prince gestured grandly to the room as they entered and Ka's jaw dropped. This was the royal library! The room was as large as the prince's, filled with a few hundred tomes. More works than Ka had seen throughout his whole life so far, all gathered for this single collection. Ka took another few steps into the space, completely entranced.

Re pulled him back to reality, tugging him back by the chains once more. When Ka looked back, the prince reached out to catch his chin. “I expect you to stay here until I return for you. And to choose something you can learn so you can tell it to me later. You may read anything you like and choose one to bring back with you. Understood?”

“Yes, I will,” Ka agreed without pause. He was still smiling, still excited just to be here.

Re smiled as well, though it faded as he pulled away. He sighed again as he turned to go, saying to the guard as he passed, “Don't let him leave or it will be your hide.”

Prince Re entered the large, empty sentencing room with another sigh. Without his usual flute to distract, this was going to be even more intolerable than usual, he thought. However, it was indeed important to live up to his word and also . . . he wanted Ka to stop making that noise. The prince walked to his chair and settled, then motioned toward the official to begin things.

The man's own scribe was already in action, going to the far end of the room to alert the guards. Then the criminals were led out, pulled into a rough line to await their turn before the prince. Re let his gaze wander along the line, taking in the usual filth of the city. No one stood out to him the way Ka had drawn his eye. With another audible sigh, he pulled his attention back to the official as he read off crimes and decided punishments.

A thief, a mugger, a whore, another thief. Re did his best to stiffle a yawn. A terrorist was sent to his death and another thief was sent to the farms. Re straightened in his seat as the next criminal was also revealed to be a thief. He held his hand up and the official obediently fell silent for Re to address the man. “What did you steal?”

Nothing,” the man said plaintively.

The official answered instead, cutting him off. “He was caught poaching on royal land. He stole game from the king.”

Re looked to the official again, “What about the next?”

The man turned to his scribe for the answer. “That woman attacked a member of her husband's family.”

Re stood, eyes on the scribe's notes. “Stand,” he said to the room in general without looking away from the scribe. Confusion was filtering throughout the room, guards mumbling among themselves and criminals shifting about nervously. The scribe cowered back a step, but Re just reached for the parchment, pulling it into his own hands.

According to the notes, there were several different criminals here today. Several terrorists and some others guilty of crimes against the crown. A few other muggers were listed, but 'thief' was listed again and again. And what were muggers if not a different kind of thief? Even whores were just trying to earn money . . . Re pushed the notes back into the startled scribe's chest and turned on the criminals themselves. “What did you steal?” he demanded of the first criminal he approached.

The woman's mouth opened a few times before whispering, “Meat from the butcher.”

Re frowned and turned away to another. “What did you steal?”

This man looked quite confused and shook his head. “Some rich dickwad's coin purse.”

A mugger then, Re thought and turned away again, making the same demand of a young man, one less likely to have attacked anyone. This man was just as baffled as everyone else and he muttered, “I took an idol from the temple.”

Re's eyes widened and he pulled back in disgust. Not just theft but sacrilege! He wasn't the only one to look horrified by the man's actions. After a moment though, the prince leaned closer again. “Why did you steal?”

“I was going to trade it, for medicine.”

“Who is ill?” Re demanded, frowning more.

“My father,” the man answered quietly. “He cannot work, we have no more money.”

Re was quiet again, thoughtful as he looked around at the other criminals. All of them were dirty and quite thin and watched him with wide eyes. When his gaze settled again on the young man, Re asked him, “What have you eaten today?”

The man shook his head, still unsure of what was happening. “Porridge and bread and water.”

Re turned his gaze on the official and he nodded to confirm it. “Morning and night, it is the usual meal.”

“More than begging on the street will get you,” an older voice said in the crowd. Re could not see the speaker, but he saw several other criminals nod agreement.

Prince Re shook his head, slowly walking back towards his raised seat. This was enlightening and he did not like what he was seeing. How many criminals in his kingdom were just trying to get enough food to live? The prince stopped beside the official and his scribe. “I want all of these prisoners returned to their cells. Give them another meal.”

The official looked as if he'd been slapped, mouth open as he gaped at his prince. “But- but we've hardly begun,” he managed to protest.

Re simply shook his head again. He spoke in a cold and measured tone. “Back to their cells. Another meal. And a small portion of meat with their dinners. And I want that until the next sentencing.” With the banquet only days away, Re was well aware he would not be available until it had passed. The official knew it as well but could only continue to gape along with the rest in the room. Re ignored them all and simply made for the door, walking back towards the library to retrieve his pet.

When he got there, Re found the library dark and empty. He angrily stormed back to the guard at the door to demand, “Where is Ka?!”

To his credit, the guard didn't flinch. Instead he bowed respectfully and answered, “He was brought back to your chambers, sire. By Tamul,” he added, knowing the weight that name had with the prince. Re growled, but accepted the man at his word. He would take out his anger on his friend instead, he thought and spun to return to his room.

0