Chapter 13: The Banquet
14 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Re was slow to make his way to where the greetings would take place. Their trade guests would be arriving soon, but the prince took time to wander the spaces where they would spend the rest of the day. There were plenty of guards about - more than usual for the occasion - and the servers and dancers an musicians were already playing music and moving as a way to warm up. The prince didn't stop, just observing as he passed, looking for flaws and thankfully seeing none. He went by the kitchens, smelling of rich foods and rare spices. He walked through the dining hall where servants were busy polishing and decorating. Many paused to bow, but others didn't even notice the redhead, too busy finishing their tasks. Re did not interrupt them. Instead, with nothing else to delay him, he made his way to the grand hall of the palace.

Like the other places, this room had been set up with finery. The grand hall sat at the main entrance, the place where the king received supplicants and royal guests. Larger than life statues stood along the walls, gods and kings watching over the proceedings. Fine lace ribbons and silk flowers adorned the statues and the rest of the hall. Real, gleaming weapons rested in their carved hands. These figures of the past were meant as protection and good fortune, showing beauty and strength to the trade partners. Similar statues had already been relocated, moved whenever possible to be in the other parts of the palace these visitors might see.

Re tried to summon a similar visage. He stood as tall as he was able, chin raised slightly as he walked toward the main dias near the back wall. Only he, the king, and Queen Yana would sit in the polished thrones, but the rest of the king's family and court would be there as well. Most were already present, talking in clustered groups or fussing with their appearances.

The prince was only a few steps into the room when a servant noticed him and bowed deeply. The man spoke just slightly louder than necessary, uttering a reverent, "Your highness." It was like a call went out through the room, every servant and guard doing the same. Members of the court all bowed with similar utterances, also thanking Re for the honor of being there despite the prince having nothing to do with that. As the redhead reached the dias, even a few of his younger siblings bowed to him and Queen Yana rose from her throne to step over to his side.

"You are here," the queen said with apparent joy. "On time and looking wonderful. Your father will be pleased."

Re tried to keep the frown off his face and failed. "I would not dream of endangering the king's banquet," he growled out.

The queen sighed, good mood disappearing. "Yet you still do. Remember, this is a celebration. Try and be friendly and smile with our guests!" Yana smiled again herself as she said this, fussing with the prince's tunic and jewels as if primping a bride for her wedding.

"Be quiet, woman." The sharp command made the queen jump and she and Prince Re both turned to the speaker. King Re approached from behind the thrones, glaring at both of them. The king was a rather imposing figure. He was broad in his shoulders and shaped somewhat like a barrel. You could see from a distance that he was strong and he projected an air of confidence and power. The man's dark skin held no obvious scars, his black hair still full and gathered up beneath his tall golden crown. His frown was etched into the stately wrinkles of his face, expressing his contempt and perpetual anger, as well as his disappointment in his eldest son.

He stalked toward the pair, circling slightly before stopping in front of the prince. It was no small annoyance to him that he had to look up slightly to meet the younger and taller Re's eyes. The prince stared back with only a slight frown, doing his absolute best to present a neutral expression. The king glanced at Yana - a clear order to leave - and turned back only once the women had gone. "You are not a princess," the king said harshly. "You do not host, that is the job of your sisters. Pretty hair and pale skin only impress women, it is men who do business." As he said this he reached out and ran his fingers through the prince's red locks. He deliberately tightened them to tug at the strands and the prince flinched, but didn't say anything.

"Why are you wearing blue?" the king demanded and pulled at the silk top his son wore. The redhead opened his mouth to reply, but was not given the chance. "You know green is better on you, you will change."

Re growled and forced his way into the discussion. "I prefer the look of this. I have chosen my jewels-"

"Poorly," King Re finished. "What do your jewels matter if you yourself look like trash?! You will change. A servant will fetch new jewels-"

"I don't want servants in my room!" The prince yelled, but he was ignored as the king just continued.

"You need your hair styled. Have it pulled back, tell them to make you look like a boy." The prince was glaring now, breath coming faster as he kept himself in check through will alone. The king met this with a cold expression followed by a disdainful scoff. "You are not a general either, you do not have the strength to back up such a look. You will change. Now. And you will come back as a prince."

Prince Re bowed stiffly, saying through gritted teeth, "Of course, my king." He turned as he straightened and went straight for the bath. He burst into the room suddenly, startling the few servants that were their. "Where is the stylist?" Re demanded of the nearest. The young boy didn't reply, silently running to fetch him instead. Re paced in the few minutes he had, trying to release enough energy that he could calm again. This was not an auspicious beginning to this damned banquet, he thought.

The stylist entered, seeming to already know what he was needed for. This was not the first time the king had demanded a change of his heir's appearance. "Up?" he asked as he began to run a comb through the red strands.

"Like a boy," Re growled with supreme annoyance.

"Ah," was the only response. This man understood the king's preferences; a severe tail would be most appropriate then, like some of the guards wore. He gathered the hair tightly and secured the tail at the prince's neck with a simple tie.

"If he wants me to 'look like a boy' you should just cut-"

"Your majesty, no!" The stylist quickly moved to be in front of the prince, hands raised pleadingly. "Please, do not ask that of me."

Prince Re blinked at the man, surprised into silence. It was rare for someone to argue with him - except the king and queen of course. In this one case though, it was only to be expected. It was seen as a crime against the gods themselves to cut the prince's amazing, logic defying, fiery red hair. The king himself had forbade it when Re was young. And now the king argued with him over it, but he would still uphold his decision. He would rather punish any transgressor than admit he was wrong.

The servant was hesitantly meeting his gaze, begging silently now. Prince Re sighed as he watched him. "I believe you would do it, if I ordered you to." And it would almost certainly be the last thing the man ever did. "Leave me," Re ordered instead. The man bowed deeply before rushing gratefully out the door. The prince simply lifted a hand to his head, attempting to keep his calm.

Re turned to find one of his elegant green tunics and a small basket of jewels sitting on one of the pedastools. Whatever servant had fetched them was already gone again, fleeing along with the stylist. The prince sighed again, stripping off his preferred sky blue tunic, just dropping it to the floor. He unclasped his necklaces, finishing with the pheonix pendant last. After a pause, he left that one in place. It didn't look nearly as good with green, not like how it seemed to soar on the sky blue. But he liked this pendant; he would not let the king control every last thing, this he would keep.

Adorned once more in his regalia, wearing mostly jewels of red that only accented his hair further, Prince Re made his way back to the grand hall. He entered to the same chorus of greetings and bows, however this time as he approached the thrones, it was the prince who was obligated to bow. The king and queen were both in their places now and as Re stood again, the queen caught his eye. "Now you are late," she said with a frown. The prince ignored her and took his seat, focusing on presenting a neutral and stately image.

In only moments, royal officials announced that the trade partners had arrived. Harps and flutes began to fill the space with sweet music. They would enter soon, directly opposite the thrones, and walk the long path to the royal family. All the while surrounded on all sides by shows of the kingdom's prosperity, loyalty, and strength. Everything coordinated around King Re, making sure he shone like a beacon in the desert. An ally no tradesman would want to lose or cross. In his spot, the prince sighed again, praying the evening would somehow pass quickly.

-o-o-o-o-o-

The festivities were indeed proceeding well. The trade partners were all appropriately in awe of everything they were shown. The prince was grateful he wasn't considered a host, he was allowed to observe things in silence for the most part. As dinner began he had to at least look interested in the conversations, but he was also allowed wine, which helped. One of the leaders of the group was trying to negotiate higher pay for their services. The king in return was suggesting an increase of the fees and taxes they had to pay. Grueling, tedious, menial talk about money and nothing more.

Prince Re wondered what kind of money Ka had in his previous life. Scribes were paid well, but what about before he was trained, when he lived with his parents?

The prince was startled back to the present when there were shouts at the far end of the table. Two of the traders had begun fighting over . . . Re had no idea what, but they were at blows over it. Without warning the king was on his feet, his eyes on Prince Re. "Fix this," he hissed and Re nodded sharply. He stood as well and called for the guards, only for the the king to grab his arm instead. "You fool! Did you just call guards on honored guests?! Stop embarrassing me! Fix this!" he demanded again and shoved the prince towards the fight.

Prince Re moved to the two men making the commotion. They were in a grapple now and Re simply grabbed the man on top, tearing him away from his opponent and throwing him to the ground again. He glowered at both before demanding harshly, "Get out of my sight!"

For a moment no one moved. The two men looked from the prince to their own leaders. These men in turn looked to the king, still on his feet. "Out of my sight," King Re repeated. "This is a time of celebration, not violence." Slowly the men climbed to their feet. Their anger was gone now, walking close together as allies in a foreign land as they retreated to their caravan to wait. The prince remained where he was for another few moments before he too turned to leave, deeper into the palace. The king growled, "Unacceptable," and was quick to follow.

Prince Re stormed through the hallsto his chambers, but the king was just behind. "You will stop," the older Re demanded as he gained on his son. The redhead didn't listen, shoving his door open before the king grabbed his wrist and forcefully pulled him back. "Don't you dare leave my presence!"

Prince Re grit his teeth, still retreating a couple of steps into his bedchamber once his arm was released. He stayed there, glaring at the king warily. "You wanted me to go," he snapped in defense.

"No, you stupid boy! What I said was for you to stop embarrassing me! A task you continue to find new ways to fail at!"

The prince was shaking slightly, hands in fists as he argued back. "I had nothing to do with that fight! They were not even our people, I was nowhere near them, how can you possibly blame me fo-"

"It is your fault for not noticing it! It is your fault for not preventing the tension to begin with!" The king took a menacing step forward, into the prince's personal space. "And if we lose this trade alliance, it will be your fault!"

The prince raised his chin, mouth opening to continue arguing. King Re moved before he could speak, striking as fast as a viper. He slapped the prince hard across the face, making him stumble slightly from the force of it. Across the room, standing beside the small window but watching the fight, Ka let out a startled gasp. The king's attention shifted, sharp gaze settling on the prisoner. He said nothing for a long moment and Ka shrank back nervously in the dark room.

Very slowly, the king returned his attention to his son. The redhead was breathing hard, but he was quiet, his head still bowed from the blow. "Criminals in your bedchambers?" King Re asked quietly, his voice a low and menacing growl. "And sluts in you guard," he added, glaring at Elia who stood at her post near the door, head bowed as low as it would go. The king reached forward, catching his son's chin to raise his gaze. "Clean. Yourself. Up." He dropped his hand and turned without another word, disappearing back down the hall to attempt to salvage the rest of the banquet dinner.

Prince Re was utterly still, barely even breathing as the echo of the king's footsteps faded away. Then the redhead grabbed his door and slammed it shut. He spun and kicked one of the floor cushions, sending it clear across the room. He let out an angry scream and kicked another, this one flying the length of the room, landing near Ka. The prince continued raging and with another scream he grabbed a ruby necklace, tearing it off his own neck and hurling it to the floor. Only then did he still again, staring at the ruined jewelry as he caught his breath.

Slowly Prince Re looked up, searching for his pet in the dark room. Ka stood only a step away from the window, one hand resting on the sill like a lifeline. Without the torches in the hall, Ka's only light was from the nearly-full moon. He could only see the room directly in line of the windows and prince Re strode in and out of this space while he raged. He had stopped closer to the door, beyond where Ka could see. He was still scowling as he passing through the moonlight towards the scribe and Ka nervously stepped back further, away from his light.

Re had no trouble seeing the whole of the room, closing the distance to his pet quickly. He growled, but consciously raised his hands in an effort to calm the brunet. "I won't hurt you, Ka." The scribe still retreated to the limit of his chains, nearly at the back wall. He didn't fight however, tense but unmoving as Re settled one hand on either side of his head. Moving slowly now, the prince leaned forward, tilting his head down and resting it against Ka's own.

Ka wasn't sure what to do and ended up doing nothing as a result. All but blind in the dark, this close he could actually see the pale glow of Re's skin. His hands were between their bodies, not really defending or attacking, simply frozen in this strange embrace. His mind was frozen as well, completely unable to guess what the prince might do next.

For a long while, the redhead didn't move at all. Finally he did pull back, catching Ka's chin for a moment to admire his flushed cheeks and confused expression. He released the scribe and his hand trailed lower, brushing the bead collar and the necklaces Ka had chosen. The prince smiled wider before focusing on Ka again. "I am sorry you had to see that," he said as his expression became more solemn. "And you must never speak of it, or any interaction you witness between us. For your safety, Ka."

The scribe nodded without hesitation. Then the prince stepped back again, into the light from the smaller window. Ka gasped slightly and put a hand to his own mouth. "He split your lip."

Re paused and raised his hand to the injury, hissing when he touched it. He growled and moved to light his torches and then to the mirror. "Stupid old man," he said and growled again as he searched for a cream to help hide the minor wound.

Ka still wasn't entirely certain what he was watching: a tantrum, a mental breakdown, or a man legitimately pushed too far. He edged a bit closer to the prince now that he could see better and asked, "Are you all right?"

Movement drained from the redhead as if a heavy weight settled over him. After a long pause he shook his head in the negative, but answered aloud, "I will be." He turned to Ka with a small grin and stepped to the other man's side. "Did they bring your lunch?"

Ka frowned a bit, but he conceded to the change of topic. "Yes, just after you left."

"Good," Re said and his smile grew again. "I imagine you are hungry again by now, accompany me to get some food." This was said almost as an order and the prince was already reaching to free Ka from the limiting iron chain. The prince took hold of the golden chain close to the collar, holding it like a short leash to lead his pet away.

-o-o-o-o-o-

0