Chapter 19: Coping
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prince Re made his way to the guards’ barracks in the back of the castle, not wasting any time on his path. This was mostly to lessen his friend’s annoyance about traveling the halls at all without a watchful eye. He reached the room the guards ate in and quickly found Tamul, once more with his helmet and greaves and gleaming breastplate. He looked up at the prince’s approach and then back at his meal, stuffing a full handful of food into his mouth as he began to stand.

Re made a noise that was half amused and half disgusted. “It’s all right, take your time.” His friend nodded, taking a moment to chew and eating like a normal person again. A servant quickly approached them, offering a plate to the prince, who turned it down. Another servant did not ask before leaving the redhead a goblet of wine and then both melted into the background again. Re’s eyes were drifting about the room, surveying the guards that surrounded them. Not one of them suitable for his private guard, not one that he felt he could trust with his life.

“So,” Tamul hazarded, drawing the prince’s attention back. “Do you want to tell me why we found you in the harem this morning?”

Re took a long drink of his wine. He was quiet for a few moments before answering simply, “I was enjoying myself.”

Tamul frowned. “I enjoyed myself as well. And then we left together, I walked you back to your chambers myself.”

Re met his gaze steadily. “And that is where you found me this morning.” He spoke with finality in his voice, making it clear he would not accept argument.

His guard was visibly unhappy with this. He stared back with his jaw clenched, still for a long time before he took a deep breath. He bowed his head and said, “Of course, my lord.” He focused on his food, finishing the nourishing meal quickly. “What are your plans for today then?”

Re sighed a bit, thoughtful. “We will get my flute girl first,” he said without hesitation, then continued with less certainty. “I must visit the temple and I sent for Anki to meet after lunch.”

“You also told the prison official you would see him today,” Tamul reminded.

The prince looked lost, blinking a couple of times before asking, “I did?”

“He caught us leaving the harem,” the guard informed.

Re sighed and rubbed his head again. That had been near the end of the night, he had no memory of it at all. “I gave my word?” he asked as if looking for a way out.

Unfortunately Tamul answered, “I’m afraid so.”

Re sighed loudly and rolled his eyes. “Very well then. We’ll get my flute,” another sigh, “and go find him.”

“As you are ready, sire.” Tamul stood from the table, leaving his plate and taking up his position watching Re’s back. The redhead sighed once more and drained his goblet of wine before standing himself.

-o-o-o-o-o-

The sentencing began no different that dozens had gone in the past. Re sat in his gilded throne, reclined and bored. His musician was seated to his right, gentle strains of music filling the air. Tamul stood just behind him on the left, vigilant for any threat. There was little threat here however, just the usual filth of the city, grumbling under their breaths and spitting insults at the ruler.

It was noisier than usual, the crowd angrier as the criminals glared up at their prince. Re was unmoved, staring back with his usual boredom. Despite the dark looks and grumbled insults, there was little argument given to the prince. Thieves and terrorists and muggers were dragged before the royal, expressions wishing him death, and then led away again for hard labor with no begging for mercy. The entire atmosphere was tense in a way that was unusual. The prince didn’t seem to notice, but it was putting Tamul on edge. He could feel the brewing fight like a gathering storm.

An older woman was brought forth, accused of selling her body and sentenced to laboring in the farms. “At least they will feed me,” she growled and spat towards the prince. The guard at her side gave her a harsh tug, then dragged away the woman as she stumbled.

A wave of angry support went through the criminals and a few insults were thrown out loud enough for the prince to hear. Re was still unmoved, but Tamul leaned forward nervously. “Sire, what is going on here?”

Re growled under his breath. “Ungrateful peasants. They think they deserve more kindness than they receive.”

The guard frowned more. He’d seen these proceedings his whole adult life, but this angry tension was new. Another couple of criminals were sentenced and led away, grumbling under their breath. Then a young man was hauled before the prince accused of theft. Sentenced to the mines, this man suddenly cried out for mercy. “No! Please, no, my lord. Just send us back again!”

“Back to starve slowly,” someone shouted with anger.

“Better than dying in the dark!” the young man screamed.

“What does it matter where you die?” one of the guards demanded, but this was a mistake.

Suddenly the chamber erupted in chaos. Screams of ‘it matters to us’ and ‘you should die’ filled the air and many of the criminals began fighting in earnest. Someone in the back screamed “Death to Re!” and the miniature battle only got more heated.

Tamul drew his sword and moved in front of the prince. Re was on his feet though, demanding a stop to all of this. “Enough!” he screamed to no avail. The criminals ignored him completely, many dedicating themselves to the brawl. The official in charge was already hurrying out the door with his scribe. Tamul turned, forcefully guiding the prince to do the same. “No!” the redhead argued, but Tamul didn’t stop pushing him out of the room.

“This is not the time to try and bring calm,” Tamul urged. They stopped in the hall and turned to the door to listen. The fight was angry and violent, but it would be short. “Once they’ve been subdued you can make any decrees.”

“No!” Re snapped again. “I don’t want them hurt!”

“We don’t have a choice, sire! They’re violent!”

“They’re not violent, they are just hungry!” the prince screamed in return. Tamul paused at the outburst, turning his attention back to the royal. Re’s cheeks were flushed, scowling angrily at the door and the surrounding hallway. His hands were in fists and only clenched tighter as he spoke. “They don’t understand why they were denied. There is no difference in their mind, it’s all just ‘Re’ and I am blamed for his decisions!”

“What decision- denied what?!” Tamul shook his head, completely lost. Re tried to move past him but the guard firmly blocked him. “Prince Re, please!”

The redhead growled, looking around. His musician was cowering by one wall but the official was completely gone, there was nothing he could do without the man and his notes. “Fine,” he snapped and lifted a hand to rub at his eyes. “Fine. It will just have to wait again.”

Tamul knew the prince hated this tedious chore, but he had never acted this way in the past. “Re, what is going on?”

The prince glared for the friendly language, but then he sighed and looked away. “I am just trying to do what needs to be done. These people cannot stay in the prisons forever. I cannot improve that place so it is better to move them along, isn’t it? Except we cannot do that without that sniveling coward!”

“We can do nothing with such an unruly mob!” Tamul tried to reason with the other. “These criminals have chosen their path and they deserve where they have landed.”

Re shook his head slightly, still unhappy. “The people are just hungry,” he huffed as he stalked off towards the temple.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Ka’s plain breakfast did not satisfy him very long. He was hesitant to call for the guard, but he also didn’t want to delay long enough that a servant came to clear things away. He took a moment to gather courage, then called out, “Harim?” It only took a moment for the guard to enter, but he stayed beside the door. Ka suddenly felt uncertain. “It is Harim, right?”

“It is,” the man said curtly. “What do you want?”

Ka swallowed slightly, then gestured toward the remains of the prince’s breakfast. “Re usually gives me what’s left,” he said, only stretching the truth a bit.

Harim looked to the table and nodded. He moved over, back to Ka for a moment before he picked up the tray and turned to bring it over. He set it onto the bead with only a small grunt and a nod.

Ka narrowed his eyes at the other, then chuckled slightly. “If you’re hungry too, I’ll share.”

Harim froze and looked at Ka, guiltily swallowing his stolen bite. “Tamul would kill me if he found out.”

Ka shook his head a bit and gestured to the food. “I won’t tell, go on.” He hesitated for another moment, but then Harim stepped closer to take another morsel. Ka shared the food, only a few large bites for each of them, and spent the time watching this guard. His hair and eyes were both black, his complexion a dark brown. He was also much younger than Ka had guessed, perhaps only fifteen, he couldn’t be much older. “How long have you worked in the palace?” Ka asked curiously.

Harim looked up again, smiling with pride. “Only a year and already private guard!” The look faded and he looked longingly at the now-empty tray of food. “And pulling double posts for it, lucky me.” He stood, taking the tray away to toss haphazardly on the table again.

“What is it with that anyway?” Ka asked. “Is it really that difficult to fill out a private guard?”

Harim quirked an eyebrow at him. “You are not popular around here.”

The scribe sighed and hung his head, “Yes I’m aware. I’m sorry about Kamu.”

Harim waved him off. “Kamu was a great man and a great guard. He knew the risks and he took them with pride. He died well, he saved others, that’s what he would’ve wanted.”

“I’m still sorry,” Ka mumbled before focusing again. “That can’t be all it is though. Even if they hate me, isn’t serving Prince Re a prestigious enough position that they would simply ignore me?”

“It’s not as prestigious as serving the king,” Harim said simply. “That’s the guard everyone wants to be in.”

“Not you?”

The young man smiled wide. “The prince will someday be the king. Who cares what the old guard wants, I’m planning for the future. Besides, I’d die for Tamul, he got me in the palace, he promoted me here. I don’t give a crap about you.”

Ka rolled his eyes a bit. Neutral was certainly better than another enemy. “Thank you for the help then.”

Harim just shrugged and turned for the door again. “Thank you for the snack.”

-o-o-o-o-o-

The rest of the day passed by lazily. For Ka that meant small meals brought at midday and evening. The scribe was quite happy when Elia relieved Harim as guard, the woman bringing him more books from the tiny bookcase. He continued to stay in bed, resting and reading until he eventually fell asleep for the night.

For Prince Re, the afternoon meant more wine. He was annoyed and frustrated and even visiting with his friend hadn’t helped. He was looking forward to Anki’s party now, but the prince’s mood had quickly dropped when asked who would be attending with the prince. Tamul would be going so he could enjoy himself, Re intended to bring his other guards for security. The question was if he would bring his pet.

Thinking of Ka, Re’s frustration turned to anger. Yes, he wanted to show off his handsome and clever pet. At the same time he was very upset with the brunet and for things that weren’t necessarily his fault. He barely trusted the scribe to stay put in his room, he wasn’t sure he trusted him enough to take him out of the palace. But then, Ka claimed he didn’t want to escape, he freely submit to this new life for the most part. Would that be true if he were outside the palace walls? Or would he wait until he saw a chance and slip away into the night, shackles unlocked and left behind?

Re growled, finishing off the goblet held in his hand. The same arguments had been running circles in his head all evening. It was late now and Tamul was still with him, stoically keeping his post despite the yawns that kept overtaking him. The prince let out a loud huff and finally stood. “We need sleep,” he muttered and turned for the door back inside from the gardens.

“It is getting late,” Tamul agreed gratefully, smothering another yawn. “A good night’s sleep will help all of us,” he said, hoping to ease his friend’s obvious distress.

A good night’s sleep would do wonders, Re was certain. He said nothing however, his mind still on his pet, thinking of the night before. As they neared his chambers, Elia saw the pair and bowed deeply. “Welcome back, my lord, captain.”

Re barely nodded at her as he opened the door. Tamul rubbed his eyes and paused long enough to confirm, “You’re posting through the night, you’ve got that, right?”

“I’m fine. You need sleep though, go on.” The tiny woman made as if to shoo him down the hall.

Tamul yawned again, but he sidestepped and went to be sure Re didn’t need anything else. He found the redhead standing at the foot of his bead utterly still, watching Ka. The scribe was asleep, turned onto his side slightly. He had a loosely bound book resting against his arm where it had fallen, that hand tossed out toward the empty side of the large bed. Tamul turned his attention to the prince and the frown on his face. “Re?” he asked and sighed with concern when the redhead turned to him. “Will you tell me what is bothering you?” It was more than the trouble with the guards, the prince had not been himself all day.

Re blinked and turned his eyes away. “I am just tired,” he said simply and moved over to his mirror to change for sleep. Tamul stepped forward, still worried, but Re turned back to him. “I’m fine. Leave me,” he said harshly before adding with more care, “Go get sleep.”

“You too, my prince. Sleep well.” The guard bowed, then slowly left the prince to his night.

Re watched him go before stripping off the rest of his jewels. He changed and then turned back to Ka. A good night’s sleep, he thought as he walked back to the bed. He had enjoyed sleeping with Ka in his arms, he would enjoy it again. Yes, the prince thought, he would feel better after the night. He would spend the next day with Ka and figure out how to win him over. Books, the redhead thought as he moved to Ka’s side and lifted the thin volume from the mattress. Entertainment and things to do, that would be the way.

The prince reached with his free hand to brush back the scribe’s hair. He paused a moment more to cup his cheek fondly. Ka sighed in his sleep and whispered the last thing Re wanted to hear. “Mei,” he breathed and pressed into the touch.

Re yanked his hand back as if burned. He turned stalked towards the bookcase only to throw the tome angrily to the floor. He stalked back and around the bed to the other side, then sat cradling his head in his hands for a few moments. Finally he took a deep breath and stretched. He lay down and pulled the covers over himself, then turned away from Ka to sleep.

-o-o-o-o-o-

1