Chapter 22: The Market
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The main market of the city was nestled up against the palace wall where some of the vendors could enjoy the shade provided by the fortifications. Those who were fortunate enough to be nearest the palace gates had long since crafted permanent booths and decorated them in finery. These booths caught the attention of visiting nobles and courtiers and so were able to charge far more for their goods, allowing for ever more eye-catching displays and lavish wares.

The further one went from the palace gates, the shabbier each stand became, stretching along the length of the wall and spilling out into the surrounding streets. If you were to follow the main road these scattered vendors would become less frequent and ever shabbier. Those with the least means displayed their wares on no more than fabric on the desert ground. Continuing down the road, the displays would once again become sturdy and frequent until you reached the river port and the smaller market there. Prince Re rarely traveled that far and had no intention of going so far on this day. He likely wouldn’t see more than the half dozen stands nearest the large gates that were unlocked for him and his procession.

Ka expected a fanfare of trumpets as the doors swung open, but there remained only Re’s chosen flute to provide music. He stayed by the prince’s side, under an awning of cloth that shaded them from the sun. They were surrounded by the servants carrying this shade as well as the others and the guards, all standing far enough away that Ka could hardly tell one from another. Only Prince Re was close enough to be seen clearly, turning a smile on Ka as they went.

Beyond the servants and guards, the market was bustling at this early hour. Dozens of citizens flit about between the stalls. Dozens more pressed close, eager at this unexpected chance to see their prince. How lucky they had chosen this morning to shop! The reverent crowd spoke in hushed awe, some of them laughing with delight or fawning after the royal’s attention. Re didn’t even bat an eye. He craned his neck a bit, using his height to peer over the masses and choose which stand he wished to visit. He walked forward with no hesitation, completely trusting the people to move for him. If they didn’t clear the way fast enough the guards were quick to push the throngs back, but there was little confrontation. The people were overjoyed and they wanted nothing to anger or annoy their revered prince.

Prince Re stepped to a finely decorated stand. It had its own awning and so Re and Ka stepped from one bit of shade to the other, right up against the tables of jewelry. “Tell me if you see anything you like,” Re said as he began perusing the different pieces.

Ka was much less happy. He frowned at the royal and grumbled, “I cannot see-”

Tell me,” Re cut him off sharply, “if you want to see anything closer.”

Ka ducked his head with a submissive nod. He did glance at the jewelry, but then his gaze simply settled on the front of the table, unfocused. The appeal of fine jewels were the delicately crafted details. Aside from a faint idea of color, Ka couldn’t distinguish one from another.

Re was making decisions without his input anyway, pointing to different pieces. Harim grabbed the different necklaces and bracelets to bring closer. He held them up beside Ka and then the prince waved them away. After a few repeats of this the redhead had selected a couple of bracelets he liked and these were given to the girls with baskets to carry. Re continued to study his pet, wanting to decorate him more. “Perhaps some new earrings?” It sounded like he was asking and so Ka looked up, but the prince was turned away again, peering over the crowd. “Let’s see how you look in jade,” he said and walked towards another jewelry stand.

Ka glanced back at the stand and it’s smiling owner before hurrying to stay by the prince’s side. This process was repeated at this stand and Re added more items to his shopping baskets. He declared Ka wore jade well, so selected several pieces to adorn him. Ka still gave no input and watched more closely as the prince turned away. The servants all moved with the royal, the guards keeping their perimeter. Ka turned an incredulous look on the prince. “Did you pay-”

“Quiet!” Re snapped and shot him a glare. Then the redhead was moving again to another stand. This one was decorated in an absolute rainbow of colors, the fabric seller displaying all his finest dyed cottons and silks. Re spoke to the seller directly, indicating his pet. “Get his measurements. I want a few outfits, a very small wardrobe.”

“It would be an honor your majesty,” the man said with real delight. He started around the table, but the older captain quickly stepped to block his path. He grabbed Ka by the arm and dragged him from Re, bringing him to the tailor instead. He did not release Ka, holding one arm in an iron grip and forcing him to stand properly for the man to get what he needed.

Meanwhile Re continued to look around the fabrics, pointing out those he liked. Another worker at the little stand was taking hurried notes on everything he said to reference while making the outfits. By the time Ka was led back to his side, Prince Re was looking for the next place to stop. Ka was already vulnerable and he was starting to feel truly uneasy. Surrounded by a crowd he couldn’t see and protected by rather hostile guards. Ka tried to swallow the lump in his throat, breathing slowly to control his pulse. He unconsciously walked a little closer to Re as the prince moved to the next display.

“What do you think?” Re asked suddenly.

Ka gasped slightly and had to turn to see what the redhead meant. His eyes widened with wonder – it was a book seller! The scribe blinked a few times, only able to mutter a quiet, “What?”

Re smiled happily. “Pick whatever you want.”

Anything he thought as his eyes roamed over the table, covered in small stacks of handwritten tomes. Slowly though, Ka’s smile faded. His gaze shifted to the indistinct crowd and again he moved closer to the prince. What I want he thought and his priorities shifted. “I’d really just like to go back.”

“Back?” Re asked, stepping away with surprise. “This is what you’ve wanted!”

Ka looked to the bookseller again and then back to the prince. “Please, Master Re. I cannot see, I cannot shop,” he struggled a little against the shackles, breath coming faster and rougher.

“Stop it,” Re snapped at him. He turned back to the table before declaring, “Harim, pick anything that looks interesting.” As Re continued on the young guard gave an affirmative and hurriedly picked a half dozen books before he was left behind.

Ka’s unease was growing by the moment. He was led to another couple of booths but he honestly didn’t even look at them. More and more his eyes were on the ground and the noisy crowd of civilians. He kept hearing snippits of their adoring words directed at the prince and - Ka could feel his cheeks heat when he noticed - gossip about him. One woman met his gaze past the flute player’s shoulder. The woman squealed with delight and turned to her companions for enthusiastic discussion of the event. He could hear people describing his body and speculating about the little they could not see. Ka groaned and turned his gaze to the prince again. All he wanted right now was to go home . . . back to the palace and away from all this light and noise and pressing humanity.

It seemed that wish was about to be granted; Ka sighed with relief when they turned towards the palace gates once more. Before they reached that protection though, Prince Re stopped one more time. Ka audibly groaned and Re turned a glare on him. “What?” Ka asked in a low voice.

“Quiet,” was the response. “We are going back after this.”

What was ‘this’ Ka wondered tiredly. It certainly smelled good and Ka realized they were at a food stand. “Street food?” he asked quietly, rather surprised the prince would be interested.

Re was stoically ordering several of most everything they offered. He paused long enough tell Ka, “For our lunch.”

Ka frowned, but he tried to keep quiet. That meant they would return next and this humiliation could come to an end. He watched as Tamul stepped around the booth, personally overseeing the workers as food was prepared. It wasn’t long until it was finished and the guard took the order back to Prince Re’s side.

“Hold it!” The older captain suddenly put himself between the two. “Who’s tasting?”

Tamul glared and growled at the man. “I watched them make it, it’s fine.”

The captain shook his head and turned, pinning Harim in place with his glare. “You. Taste the food.”

“It is fine!” Tamul said again with more force. He took a bite himself before pushing past to Re’s side.

Again the prince acted as if he didn’t notice the words and actions of the guards. He took a bite of one of the flatbreads and made a sound of approval. “Wonderful,” he said and took a moment to bow his head to the owner of the stand, who absolutely beamed at the praise. Then the prince turned to Ka and held the food to his lips.

Ka pulled back slightly. “What? No,” he muttered and glared at the thought of being fed, in public, dozens of eyes focused on him.

“Do not argue,” Re demanded.

Ka still refused, turning his face away when the food was pressed to his lips a second time. He didn’t think, he only wanted the taste off his lips, so he spat slightly. Without warning, the captain was screaming in his face. “How dare you! Insolent whelp!” Ka was jerked back by the man, he could hear more insults and threats. He could also hear Re call for Tamul and suddenly he was free of the angry grip. His head was spinning but he saw Tamul standing between him and the angry captain, keeping him at bay.

Ka’s breath was still fast as he turned to find Re. He opened his mouth to apologize but stopped, stunned silent as the prince struck out. The slap was sharp and firm, though not nearly hard enough to turn his head. Ka continued to stand there, gaping at the prince. Re stared back without emotion. After a long moment he turned again and strode with confidence back towards the palace. “I will take lunch in the gardens,” he announced as the procession moved with him.

Ka was still frozen in shock until someone gave him a little push from behind. Tamul growled at him, “Don’t cause more trouble!”

“No, I won’t,” Ka muttered in shock. He followed without more encouragement, but stayed back the couple of steps from Re. He said nothing and was still quite relieved just to be back within the confines of the palace. Re was giving a few directions, sending his new acquisitions to his chambers.

To one side, the captain had gathered the guards and was berating Tamul in front of them. He laid out every mistake and possible danger, laying the blame squarely at Tamul’s feet. He finished with a threat of, “We will see if the king has anything to add.”

“Leave us!” Re commanded angrily as soon as the older man had stopped speaking. He seemed to hesitate a long while before bowing low and giving a reverent parting. The gates had been closed only a few moments and they were already alone again. Re focused on Ka and stepped close, reaching for him. “Let me undo your hands.”

Ka nodded slightly and didn’t move, allowing the other to undo the locks. He pulled his hands in front of himself and rolled his shoulders, but stayed quiet.

Re pursed his lips. “Come. We will have lunch in the gardens. Harim will bring fruit and honey.” Re took a few steps before looking back at Ka to see if he would follow. He did and the prince nodded his approval, leading the way to the lush palace gardens. The flute girl trailed behind, still playing soft music for the prince to enjoy. Tamul made sure Harim went to retrieve more food before following the prince himself, still carrying the food.

Re led them to the shade of a wide-reaching tree. He settled onto one of the seats and offered another to Ka. The others took seats on the ground and when Harim brought the rest of the food and tea, he was told to stand at watch. Ka remained silent through all of this, a pensive look on his face. Re’s own smile was waning in response. He took the food and held it out to Ka hopefully. “That did not go as I had hoped. I would still consider it a success though.”

For another moment Ka didn’t move. He lifted his gaze from the food – grilled flatbreads, his professed favorite – to Re’s expression as it became more concerned. He slowly reached and took the food, but remained still and quiet, lost in thought.

“If you must hate me, please do not hate me for the cuffs, that was not my choice.” Re sat back in his chair, frowning faintly now.

Slowly Ka turned his gaze towards Tamul where he had sprawled out on the ground as if exhausted. He turned back to Re with a more curious expression. “He called that man ‘father’ and you called him ‘captain’. So that was the head of the king’s guard? Tamul’s father?”

Re’s frown was gone, a look of confusion clouding his features now. “W-why are you asking about that?”

“He is a very severe man,” Ka said slowly and added, “Like the king.” Just like how Re and Tamul could be brothers they were so alike.

“What does that have to do with anything?” Re asked.

Ka wasn’t sure, but he thought the redhead sounded defensive. “Thank you for the flatbread,” he said in a quiet voice.

Re shook his head slightly, still confused. “You aren’t mad?”

Ka took a bite of his meal and shook his head. He had been surprised and stunned, but now that they were alone again he was starting to understand. It helped that he wasn’t panicked by the situation, he trusted they people around him now. It also helped that Re was allowing his emotions to be seen. “I have questions, Master Re. Perhaps in your chambers we can discuss things more in depth?”

The prince still looked confused and he blinked a few times. Then he nodded and agreed, “I will answer if I can. Later.”

Ka began to smile again and took another bite. “Yes, later. When you are able to do so.” Re nodded again and pulled the fruit closer, offering the honey to Ka. “Thank you,” the scribe said again and enjoyed a bite, settling for a pleasant meal.

0