Chapter 24: The Inner Circle
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tamul crossed his arms in thought and leaned against the wall behind him. It was only he and Re in the guard’s small room at the moment, the prince had pulled him aside to speak in private. Knowing they were alone, Tamul quietly muttered, “You’re mad.”

Prince Re let out a quiet chuckle. “He seemed to think you would agree with him.”

“He’s mad,” the guard amended. The silence stretched however, and the longer it was quiet the more Tamul thought about the idea. Eventually he waved one hand through the air, but it was clear he was mulling the idea over. “She cannot fight. I mean, she’s physically not built for it at all, but also she’s busy when she’s with you. Although . . . as more of a lookout . . . Do you think she’d be interested?”

“She has always said she enjoys playing for me,” Re said, aware that the musicians said that whether or not it was true. “If you think it is a good idea, we will ask.”

“I don’t know if I would say ‘good’ but there is no harm in asking.” Tamul grinned, getting the door for them to leave. “A lookout does have a lot of benefits and they’re rarely direct targets. That is to say, they can be easily hidden in plain sight.” By the time they reached the musicians, it was clear he was in favor of the idea and his smile had grown with confidence.

A few of the musicians greeted the prince, but most continued what they were doing. As they walked into the room a short ways, Re was looking around for his usual flute girl, finding the young woman to be in one of the living spaces. She hopped up from her cushions when she saw the prince and offered a deep bow. “Your majesty! Do you need me again so soon?” She bent again as she asked this, lifting the wooden box that held her instrument.

Re held his hand out to stop her. “No, I am here with something else to ask you.”

However rather than ask himself, he turned to Tamul. It was important to establish that his captain was in charge. The man stepped closer and bowed slightly to the girl before asking, “It’s Zin, isn’t it?”

“Uh, Rina. Zin is the other girl.” She clutched the flute case to her chest and nervously looked between the two men.

Tamul smiled kindly and bowed his head again. “My apologies, Rina. I’m certain you know of the prince’s new private guard?” He paused and the girl nodded. “I feel there might be a place for someone like you to help protect Prince Re.”

For a few heartbeats, Rina didn’t move. She looked to Re again and then back to Tamul. “You think I . . .” she didn’t even finish the question, visibly confused.

“There is no need to decide this moment,” Tamul said to help her remain calm. “And you would not be expected to fight. There are other ways your skills could be helpful.”

Slowly Rina turned her gaze back to Re. “You want me in your guard, my lord?”

Re could not stop a frown settling on his features. He did not want her to make this choice only to please him. “I want you to perform whatever job makes you happy.”

Rina’s eyes fluttered and her smile only grew as she asked, “You want me to be happy?”

“Of course I do,” Re said, somewhat in shock that she would doubt it.

The girl bowed again and she was smiling wide as she straightened. “It would be an honor if I could help you, my lord.”

“Good,” Tamul nodded firmly, drawing the girl’s eye again. “It will require extra practice, you’ll need to train some under me. You won’t fight, but there will still be a lot to learn. Are you certain you’d like to try?”

Rina just nodded again, still smiling happily. “I would be happiest if I can help my prince.”

Both men chuckled slightly; her adoration for the redhead was clear and unmistakable. “I will also be happy,” Re told her, “knowing you are there for me.”

Rina nodded enthusiastically, hugging her case to her chest. “We have other business,” Tamul said in a tolerant voice. “I’ll collect you for training later, tomorrow probably.” The musician was still smiling wide, nodding to the men as they left. Tamul chuckled as they gained more distance from her. “That was even easier than I thought, she’s practically in love with you!”

“Don’t joke,” Re admonished. “I am glad to know she truly enjoys being with me.” She wasn’t just another servant following him around on orders like so many others. As they walked, he fell silent again, the thought of servants sparking other troubling thoughts.

Tamul curiously turned to him after a while. “What is on your mind, my lord?”

“I am thinking about something else my pet said, about servants.” Re briefly explained Ka’s reasoning and looked to his friend for his opinion.

This time Tamul nodded agreement without pause. “Then we certainly need to think of someone trustworthy-

Re cut him off. “I do not trust the servants in this palace.” He also couldn’t name a single one so he had little idea where to begin.

Beside him Tamul made a thoughtful noise. After another few moments he offered an idea, speaking slowly as he worked the details out in his head. “Well, that’s fair. Palace servants have their own agenda and their own needs . . . but so do the palace guards and we’ve found ways around that.”

“With a new recruit and a harem girl,” Re growled.

Tamul didn’t have the same annoyance in he voice when he agreed. “Yes exactly. And now with a musician as well. New recruits that are grateful to you for raising their station. That will be loyal to you because you saved them from a less desirable life. It shouldn’t be difficult to find a couple of servants that don’t like their current duties; they will be loyal and happy in a more prestigious position.” The prince’s pace was slowing and after another few steps he stopped. Tamul tilted his head in question. “My prince?”

“I know a man,” Re said suddenly. “I think I know someone who would give his life if I saved him.” He suddenly took off again, down a different hallway, and Tamul stumbled to keep up.

Soon it became obvious they were headed for the sentencing room. Tamul frowned and shifted his grip to his sword, remembering the ruckus from the day before. “My lord, what are you planning?”

Re didn’t answer, soon reaching the large and currently empty room. Their steps echoed against the marble as Re led the way to the far door, a door the prince never stepped through. Tamul pulled the heavy door open and then followed the prince into another large room. This place was much dirtier, the floor covered with grime which caused Re to make a face. This was more of a holding room where prisoners were led to wait. It was just as empty at the grander sentencing chamber with no chairs to rest or windows for a view of the outside world. This was really just the last prison cell before the people were formally punished.

At the far end of this room there was a set of two doors. One led to the actual prison, carved into an outcropping of rocks behind the castle and well out of view. The other door led to another room, much smaller than the others, where officials and scribes prepared and organized and planned. Tamul opened this door as well and for the first time in his life, Re stepped into this chaotic little corner of the palace. There were parchments and tablets all around the room and on the floor. One woman sat at a small table, furiously copying notes from one tablet onto a different one. A young boy was on his knees, looking around at the things on the floor. It was difficult to tell if he was searching for something or trying to clean or if he was actually just studying the documents before him.

The prison official was there along with his personal scribe, pouring over the writer’s notes. The official was muttering aloud, obviously scheduling which prisoners would be seen in the next sentencing. He seemed even more flustered than usual and when he glanced up, suddenly noticing who their visitor was, he let out a loud yelp. “Your-your highness! What-um-wh . . . uh, how can I help you, my lord?”

The other three in the room spun to the prince and then scrambled to their feet so they could bow properly. Re ignored them, eyes on the official. “I need the notes on the prisoners.”

The official turned, snatching the parchments from his scribe. “Of course, your majesty. Here you are. Is there something in particular you are looking for?”

The prince looked through the notes for a moment before he sighed with defeat and handed them back, unable to tell which criminal he was searching for. “I want the thief from yesterday, the last man I saw.”

The official grumbled slightly, obviously displeased. “Lousy, riot-starting thief.” He flipped through the notes himself before frowning and handing them back to the scribe. He leaned forward, shoving another few parchments around on the table before coming back with another. “Ah, here. Thief stole a bag of jewels from a jewelry maker. He was sent to the mines. If he wants to hold gems, he can dig them up for the king.”

He turned and handed the parchment to Re, but the prince didn’t take it. Instead he angrily repeated, “He was sent to the mines?!”

The official balked at the sudden anger. He shrank back slightly, pulling away from the harsh question. “Y-yes, my lord. He received his sentence before the fight began, so he was delivered there last night.”

Re growled slightly before he pursed his lips, thinking. “We’ll have to make a trip then,” he decided and with that, turned on his heal to leave again. Tamul’s eyebrows rose in surprise, but he didn’t question his prince. He kept pace as the redhead stopped by the barracks to retrieve Elia and then made his way back to his chambers. Re motioned to Harim as they got close and the young guard got the door. “Come inside,” Re said as they all entered.

With some confusion, Harim made sure he was on the correct side of the closed door. “What’s going on?” he asked and got a shrug from Elia.

Across the room Ka set aside his reading and climbed to his feet in confusion. He repeated “What’s going on?”

“I want to travel to the mines,” Re said as he crossed the room to stand near Ka.

None of the others reacted, which made Tamul sigh before he elaborated. “It’s a full day’s round trip.” He turned his gaze on Ka. “And you will not be allowed to go.”

They’d had enough trouble just leaving to peruse the market. But the thought of staying behind did not sit well with Ka. “Am I going to be alone here?”

“No,” Re quickly said and turned back to the other guards, still standing near the door. “Harim, you will post until we return.” The young man couldn’t help an outraged objection and Re frowned at him. The prince took a menacing step forward and repeated, “You will post until we return. I am moving your post so you are in here with Ka. You are not to leave, have a servant bring you food. Do not sleep at the same time,” he finished with and turned to glare at Ka to include him in the order.

“You are over-reacting,” Tamul tried to calm the redhead.

The prince switched to glaring at him. “I am not, and you know it. There will almost certainly be panic when they notice my absence as well.”

Tamul pointedly crossed his arms. “Yes, speaking of that, your highness.” There was a certain veiled anger in the way he said the title. Re frowned at him, but Tamul just frowned back. “How exactly are you planning to head out to the mines with no notice?”

“I am crowned prince,” Re answered in a warning tone, “I do not need permission.”

Tamul stepped closer and dropped his voice. “That’s a lie, and you know it.”

Re’s jaw was clenched and he stood there quietly for a few moments. He drew a deep breath and then continued with the clipped orders as he turned to the other guards again. “Elia, you and Tamul will be my escort and guard. We will go on foot and we will leave immediately.”

“This is a bad idea,” Tamul stated as his objection.

“The faster we move, the less trouble there will be,” Re said reasonably. He went to his drawers and pulled out a traveling cloak. As he turned back he whipped the tawny brown fabric around his shoulders. He pulled the hood up, somewhat disguising his vibrant hair, and turned to Tamul expectantly.

The guard sighed, seeing he couldn’t be dissuaded. “All right. We will have to travel after the sun sets, but we will reach the mines soon after. If we leave now,” he added.

“Master Re?” Ka called for the prince quietly. Everything seemed to be happening so quickly, but the prince still paused and turned at his voice. Ka shook his head slightly, “What is this all about? Where are you going?”

“I am following your wise advice,” Re said and stepped close to his pet again. “There was a man in sentencing that pleaded with me and I believe it was a mistake not to listen.”

“You didn’t have a chance, my lord,” Tamul reminded and then added. “If we are going, we should leave.”

Re nodded, but he was still watching Ka. He reached out to catch the scribe’s chin. “I am trusting you to stay here.”

Ka nodded slightly in the grip. “I have nowhere to go, I will not leave.”

“Not even from this room,” Re insisted. He didn’t release his pet until Ka nodded agreement. Then the prince pulled back slowly and turned, ready to leave. Tamul and Elia left with him and as they did, Re paused to meet Harim’s gaze. “Keep this door shut. If I am asked for, say I am unavailable and unwell. With any luck no one will notice before we return.”

Harim nodded sharply, but Tamul was still much less optimistic. “This is a bad idea,” he muttered again and hurried them along the hall.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to be back in my proper posting routine, namely once a week, every week. I can't guarantee perfection, but I plan to see you all next week. I hope you're all enjoying the story so far, reviews and comments are always welcome. I hope you are all safe and sound, see you in a week.

0