Chapter 25: The Mine
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prince left through a back gate of the castle. There were some guards that could be trusted or threatened into keeping their mouth shut. Re chose a gate guarded by one of these more trusted men and the trio slipped away into the city in the afternoon sun. This route was more out of the way, not generally intended for the royal family. Guards and servants used the smaller road and so it was kept in good condition, but it was far from grand. The packed dirt path cut between the rocky landscape behind the castle and the close-packed homes of the city. The further they got from the castle, the more little hovels were carved into the rocks themselves, housing the overflowing population that could find nothing better. As they walked, Prince Re found himself frowning at these pitiful dwellings.

“Be quick,” Tamul muttered to the others. His goal was to be out of sight of the palace as quickly as possible. Re understood the importance and his stride was long and fast, forcing Elia to keep up at a jog. The taller guard kept watch, glancing behind them often. Finally the walls of the palace slipped behind the other buildings and Tamul slowly began to relax. “We should be hidden now.”

“Do not slow,” Re said sharply.

Tamul grabbed the prince’s arm though, forcing him to slow his pace. “It is far to the mines, we must conserve some strength.” Re answered this with a glare, but he did not disagree. He shook off his friend’s hand and continued at a more reasonable speed. Tamul let out an audible huff, again taking up position behind the prince with Elia.

The woman was glad not to be running and once she’d caught her breath she looked to her captain curiously. “Where are we going with such secrecy?”

Tamul huffed again, glaring at Re’s back for a moment before he turned to answer. “We are recruiting another new guard . . . of sorts.” His frown deepened and a slight growl entered his tone. “A thief that my lord has only even met once and knows nothing about.” This was clearly intended to illicit a response, but the redhead continued walking as if hadn’t heard. Tamul sighed again, but fell silent.

Elia was thoughtful herself and finally responded, “Then this is another criminal?”

“Yes,” Tamul answered shortly.

“Is he like Ka?” the woman asked.

Tamul huffed again, frustrated. “I have no idea! We saw him for only a few moments before the man started a riot!”

Re abruptly stopped and turned on his guards, both of whom stopped short. “He did not begin that riot,” the prince said sharply. “He was scared.”

“He was scared,” Tamul admitted. “And he started that riot.”

Re raised a hand dismissively and turned again to continue on. He had made up his mind and he would not be dissuaded. The small group continued along the road for a while in silence, ignoring the citizens that stared and skittered to the side to clear the path. Soon the road was far less crowded, drifting away from the city as the rocks curved away towards the sinking sun. The landscape opened up before them, the beauty of the kingdom almost shining in the afternoon light.

The desert stretched out, deceptively tame-looking this close to the human population. Lush grass and tall trees lined the road and dotted the rocks on the one side. The scrubby desert bushes had been cleared and the grasses had been filled with berry bushes instead. The actual farms of the city were in the other direction, cultivating a decent portion of the food the city needed closer to the river. There was more food grown all over the city, like this, and throughout the rest of the kingdom where the land was good enough. As they reached the end of the bushes, Re paused. “Are any ripe?” he asked and Elia was the one to walk over to check. Sadly, the fruit wasn’t ready and Re simply sighed. “We’ll have food when we arrive.”

It wasn’t long before the sun was beginning to set in front of them. The road was empty now aside from the trio, still following along the rocks. The green life, too was dying back and becoming less frequent. The grass was replaced by dirt and sand while the scrub brush became the only taller plants. Only a quarter-day’s walk from the palace, the desert became significantly more intimidating.

Eventually Elia was the one to break the silence. She was gazing out at the desert as they walked and she whispered, “I’ve never been out this far.”

“There’s little reason for anyone but caravans to travel beyond the city boundaries,” Tamul answered her.

The little woman looked up at him to ask, “Have you been far?”

“As far as my prince has,” Tamul said.

Re turned slightly to add, “He has been my guard most of my life, official or not. And son of my father’s guard. Tamul has always been a part of my travels as well.”

“And usually the one following when he snuck out of the palace.” Tamul said this with a frown, lacking his usual joking tone.

“Tamul makes sure I am safe, even when my decisions are . . . unwise.” Re turned forward again, not slowing his pace.

Tamul huffed again, still clearly displeased. After another moment Elia looked up to him again. “How much trouble are we going to get in for leaving like this?”

Neither man answered for a few moments. Re continued as if he hadn’t heard, but slowly Tamul looked down at her. “Prince Re will receive a lecture, to be sure. Perhaps additional duties or training.”

He stopped speaking and Elia nervously chewed at her lip. “What about us?”

“We will receive a harsher punishment,” he said quietly. “It shouldn’t be anything too severe, but it will probably hurt.”

Elia swallowed thickly. “What-”

“Enough!” Re demanded sharply without turning to the guards. “I don’t want to listen to pointless speculation. You will do as I say, you will not speak up, and you will not contradict me.”

The woman bit her lip again, hunching her already small frame. Tamul laid a hand on her shoulder and gave a reassuring smile when she met his gaze. “Trust Prince Re, he will protect us, just as we protect him.” Elia nodded slightly, but she had joined Tamul in his bad mood, now worried just what consequences this adventure would bring.

The group fell silent again as they walked. Re watched the sun disappear beyond the horizon, leaving the sky dark but lit by sparkling stars. The moon was nearly full, providing enough light for the last of this journey. None the less, Tamul began walking with his hand on the hilt of his sword. They had to continue for some time in the dark before the lights of the mine came into view.

This was not the largest mine in the kingdom, but it was the closest to the palace. This was where criminals were sent to work until it was decided they would be more use elsewhere. This was where they learned the trade and where they were punished and disciplined to learn their place. The mine itself snaked its way down into the ever-larger rocks. The entrance was surrounded by barracks and buildings to refine and process the more precious minerals. And all of this was surrounded by a gated wall, manned with guards to keep the peace and keep the criminals here in line.

As they approached this wall, the guards noticed the little group. Lanterns and weapons both focused onto them and a guard called out. “Hold there! Who is that?”

“His majesty Prince Re graces you with his presence,” Tamul announced, taking a few extra steps so he was between Re and any threat.

There was visible confusion on the wall. The guards murmured among themselves, a couple looking to the sky as if confirming how late at night it was. However the one who had spoken soon gave the order to open the gates. He hurried to the ground to properly greet the prince, staring at the redhead in wonder. “Your majesty . . . what can we do for you?”

“Food first,” Re said simply.

The guard quickly nodded, leading the way towards the kitchen of this mini-town. “We do not have much,” he informed nervously. Others were rushing ahead, racing to create the finest meal they could manage with no notice. Tamul followed these guards, overseeing the preparation by habit. Prince Re was led to a table to sit and in moments he was provided with a variety of dried fruits and nuts.

The prince didn’t move and after a moment, Elia realized what he was waiting for. “Oh, um, I’ll taste,” she offered before quietly confirming, “Right?”

Re nodded slightly to assure her. He waited for Elia to try a bit before he began to eat as well. “Take your fill,” he told the woman quietly. He knew they were all tired and hungry after the afternoon’s travel.

“Will we be staying here, my lord?” Elia asked. She was keeping an eye out and watched the guards already making plans of where to house the royal.

Prince Re shook his head though. “No, we will be leaving once we retrieve what we came for.”

“Tonight?” The guard asked with surprise. “My lord, surely you wish to rest? We can arrange an escort back to the city in the morning.”

“No,” Re said sternly, but offered no explanation. Somewhat at a loss, the guard stuttered and then settled in silence with no other choice.

It wasn’t long before Tamul emerged with the food: quickly warmed stew and bread. There was a platter for each of them and he sat opposite the prince as they ate quickly. The atmosphere was tense, the guards watching their unexpected guests with trepidation. When Re at last set aside his bowl, the lead guard drew his attention and bowed again. “Your highness, how may we serve you? What brings you to the mine?”

“There was a man delivered to you yesterday. I have come to retrieve him,” Re said as he stood.

The explanation only brought more confusion as the guards looked amongst themselves. Slowly the lead guard nodded and turned. “He was the only one to arrive yesterday. His group will be finishing soon, but I can get him now if you’d like.”

“You mean he’s working now?” Re asked, stunned.

The guard nodded as he led the way. “It is always dark in the mines, we have teams working day and night. The man you want has been on each team since he arrived. We cannot get him to work.”

Tamul growled angrily, suddenly getting in front of the other man. “What did you say? No man should work that long!”

“You are not listening!” the man shouted back. “He won’t work. And if he doesn’t work, he won’t eat or get to rest.”

There was general agreement grumbled among the other guards. Re glared at the men and brought silence by raising his hand. He pinned the lead man with his glare and simply demanded, “Bring him to me.”

“Of course, your majesty.” The man bowed low before he turned again and continued on.

Re followed to the entrance of the mine, waiting there with his guards. Tamul’s mood had only fallen further and he leaned close to the redhead to whisper with him. “Sire, if he’s not been allowed to rest, he will not be fit to travel.”

“We need to return as quickly as possible,” Re hissed back. “We cannot wait.”

Tamul frowned darkly; this was far too much risk just to recruit another criminal. “It would be different if we had a mount-”

Re decided to end the discussion, turning to Elia abruptly. “Go retrieve provisions. We will need another meal for our return trip. Get enough for everyone.”

“Yes, sire,” the woman agreed and spun to return to the kitchen.

Re turned back to his other guard only to pause in surprise. Tamul’s scowl had faded, replaced by a look of shock and surprise. The prince turned again, focusing back on the mine’s entrance. The guard had returned, half carrying and shoving a thin man in front of him. “Here he is, Highness. Toshan.”

The man was a sight to behold. He was as thin as any man Re had ever seen and he shivered where he stood. He was huddled down, cowering between the others. He was filthy, covered in dirt and ash, still wearing the rough tunic he’d worn in the prison. His cheeks were streaked where tears had tried to wash away the grime and his eyes were red and puffy. His gaze was fixed on the prince at the moment, eyes wide and breath shaking with fear.

For a few heartbeats, Re was stunned silent. This man looked significantly worse than he’d seen him last and after just a single day here. Suddenly he had doubts if they really could set out immediately. Finally he nodded and focused on the guard again. “We will leave quickly. I would like some hot tea before we depart.”

Tamul stepped forward, wrapping his hand around the trembling Toshan’s arm, allowing the guard to step away himself. The other guards were already moving to fulfill Re’s request as the prince strolled back toward the kitchen. The tea was already warming when Re sat again at the table. Toshan was guided into the other chair while Tamul stood beside him protectively. Elia joined them with a basket full of foods just as the tea was brought over.

“Thank you,” Re said to the guard and the man smiled. Then Re lifted a hand to wave them away. The guards nervously shifted away, leaving the group alone as Re turned his attention back.

Toshan was still staring wide-eyed at the prince. He stuttered slightly under the attention, not managing much more than “W-what . . ?

Re glanced to his guard and a cup of tea was poured for the stunned man. “Drink,” the prince prompted gently. “You will be returning with me to the palace-”

“What?” Toshan asked again, interrupting the prince in his shock.

Re frowned at him in warning. “Quiet! You will return with us, but only if you remember your place. And only if you can walk back tonight.”

Toshan hardly waited for the prince to finish. He nodded eagerly and agreed, “I can walk, I can walk, anything.” He wrapped his hands around the cup, drinking in large gulps.

Re’s frown softened as he watched the man. He was so clearly terrified, Re felt reassured that he was making the wise choice. A glance at his guards showed they felt the same, even Tamul’s scowl had failed away behind a look of worry and concern. “If you can walk, then we need to go,” Re said and stood again.

The man continued to stutter that he was capable and he stood as well. Tamul steadied him by the elbow and all three followed the prince as he made to leave this little outpost. As they reached the gate, the lead guard stood there to see the group off. “Sire, are you certain we cannot convince you to stay and rest?”

“You’ve done well,” Re commended and the man gained that proud smile again. “However we need to return. Continue your good work.” With that the prince passed over the thresh hold and into the desert again.

Tamul paused only long enough to take a lantern and handed it to their new recruit. “Carry a light for your prince,” he ordered gently. Toshan nodded and cradled the lantern to his chest. Tamul frowned looking at him. He got some bread from their basket of supplies and held this to the man as well. Toshan did not question it, greedily devouring the bit of food as they walked. Tamul handed him another piece and then pat his shoulder. “It is a long walk, try and keep your strength up.”

“I will, I will,” the man muttered immediately. “Anything for my prince.”

Re grinned slightly, looking over to meet Tamul’s eyes. The captain grinned back and shook his head. It seemed the prince had been right all along and now he had his new servant, eternally loyal to the man who saved him from the dark.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Hello again everyone!

Gosh, a whole week late. I'm sorry, I feel bad that I made my readers wait. I've been having an especially bad month and you can see it has effected my writing schedule. In addition to my usual depression-related trouble, I've been having numb-hand physical health problems. I wish I could say it was the numb slowing me down, but it's really just the stress of trying to figure it out. I'm actually getting used to the feeling and it doesn't effect my typing too badly. More typos, but that just means an extra edit. Hopefully I'm back on schedule now and I'll see you all again next week! Thank you all for reading, I hope you're enjoying the story so far ^_^

0