Chapter 27: Consequences
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It simply wasn’t possible to walk to the mines and back without a rest. Re abruptly announced they would stop well before dawn and while they were still out in the wilds of the desert. “We need to sleep, just briefly.”

“Yes, please,” Elia sighed. Toshan said nothing, still hugging the lamp close and staying near to the prince.

Tamul groaned to himself, stretching his back as he looked around. There was nothing within sight beyond the scraggly desert plants. The nearly-full moon meant he could see a decent ways, certain that they were at least safe. “All right,” he said to the others. “Against the rocks. No one leaves the lantern light, you take it with you to do any business and then come right back.” With those words he reached to take said lantern and traipsed out into the desert away from the others.

Toshan only relinquished the light very reluctantly and he hunched down smaller where he stood. “Come on,” Elia said in a bright and kind voice. “Let’s all sit down here and get comfortable.” She led Toshan to the rocks and Re followed without prompting, settling with them. Elia passed out bits of food and then offered the jug of water to Re. He took a long drink and then passed this around to the others as well. When the jug returned to him he took a tiny bit to wash his hands and face, prompting Toshan to do the same in an attempt to banish the grime of the mines.

Tamul returned and one by one everyone took the lantern for their own trip. Tamul occupied himself making their little spot suitable for the rest. He took time to ensure there were no dangerous animals or plants and he flattened and piled the sand. Then he turned his attention to the actual plan for the night. “Elia, do you need to sleep?”

“I can take the first watch, I’m okay,” the woman immediately volunteered. “You should lay down now, sleep as long as you can.”

Tamul frowned, but he rubbed his eyes and nodded in agreement. “At first light, wake me and you can have a nap yourself before we set out again.”

“I want to move as soon as possible,” Re put in. “However I need to close my eyes.”

He was already laying out, finding a comfortable position in the soft earth. He was surprised when his new servant moved close. “I can pillow your head,” he offered in a mumble.

“You sleep as well,” Re insisted. He took the offer though, laying his head on the man’s lap. Toshan simply leaned against the rocks behind him and he fell into slumber as quickly as the prince.

Tamul caught Elia’s eye again and reminded sternly, “Don’t fall asleep. Don’t wander at all. Wake me at first light.”

“Sleep yourself,” she answered with a confident smile. “It’s still a long walk, we will need our strength.” Tamul continued frowning, but he nodded and lay down against the rocks, asleep in moments. Elia was exhausted, but she stayed on her feet to keep alert. She passed the time planning for the rest of their journey. When they reached the city, she would run off to get more water for them all. Toshan also needed to be taught what to do in his new position, she could help with that, she thought. She had more experience as a servant than a guard after all. She was happy to help Prince Re in any way she could, so the plan made her happy. It was good condolence knowing she would barely get any sleep at all.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Ka spent the evening at the window, watching the sun slip down in the sky. As it began to grow dark he wondered how much longer the prince would be. Harim had been pacing for a while, lost in his own thoughts and worries. Ka kept his attention on the sky and the outside world even as he lost the light and the inky black of night closed in around him. Surely Re would be back soon.

Without warning there were two strong bangs on the door. Ka spun, but he stepped away towards the far wall. Harim let out a loud yelp of surprise, staying where he was. After a few moments of pause a loud voice demanded, “Open this door!”

Harim still didn’t move but he drew a shaking breath to answer. “I-I regret-”

Panic surged through Ka and he hissed urgently from across the room, “No! Don’t lie. Just open it.”

Harim looked at him with confusion. Another bang sounded against the door and Harim nervously stepped over and undid the lock. He had barely pulled the latch before the door was shoved inwards, making him stumble back. Then the guard’s eyes widened as he saw King Re standing before him. “Your majesty!” he gasped and quickly bowed low.

Slowly the king moved into the room, flanked by his own guards. One of these men shoved Harim back by his shoulder and kept intimidatingly close, watching him. Harim nervously retreated to a wall, keeping out of the path of the clearly enraged monarch. King Re wasn’t focused on him, his eyes were on Ka as he stalked across the room. “Where is he?” he demanded in a low, rumbling voice. Ka remained quiet, flinching when the king yelled, “Answer your king!”

“I don’t know,” Ka quickly squeaked out, hoping that would save him.

The king was not appeased though and he glared angrily at the scribe. He reached out and settled one meaty hand on Ka’s chest, shoving him into the wall at his back. “Where did he go?!” he demanded again.

“I don’t know,” Ka said again desperately. He shook his head, praying the king would believe the lie.

Unfortunately the man only growled again. “I should have you beaten for your treachery!” King Re leaned closer and his weight pressed against Ka’s chest and made it hard to breathe. He stood motionless for a moment before asking one more time, “Where is he?”

Ka’s hands hovered at his sides, his instincts screaming to fight. His reason held him still however, there was no chance a struggle would improve this situation. Silence wouldn’t bring anything good either, he decided. He struggled to get a good breath and muttered, “He said he went to fetch a servant.”

“You filthy liar!” the king yelled. He pulled back slightly and Ka had just enough time to gulp in a lung-full of air before King Re back-handed him. He caught Ka as he stumbled and shoved his slight frame towards his guards. The man put hands on him to hold him still, but Ka wrenched away. He was more willing to fight a guard, even the king’s guard, even if the odds were far from in his favor. Ka tried to back away from all of them, but the guard lunged and forced him to dodge.

The king’s hand closed around his arm, pulling Ka towards him again. The man radiated anger and raised his other hand to strike again before he suddenly paused. All eyes went to the door as the missing prince suddenly appeared, frowning angrily at the scene that greeted him. “What in all the hells are you doing in my chambers?” the redhead asked angrily. He stomped toward the king to demand with even more anger, “What do you think you are doing?!” The prince reached out, taking hold of Ka’s arm beside the king’s hand. Slowly King Re released his hold and the prince stepped aside, pulling Ka away and positioning the scribe behind him.

“Where were you?” King Re demanded in his quiet and menacing voice.

The prince didn’t release Ka’s arm, shifting them back another couple of steps. “I am free to roam as I please,” he answered, his voice dripping with disdain.

“You are not free to sneak your way out of this palace unguarded!” The king refuted. “Do not lie to me, boy!”

The prince remained calm, standing stock straight and looking down his nose at the elder Re. “I went to the river,” he lied easily. “And I had my guards with me.”

This only enraged the king further. “Impudent boy! You were headed to the mines,” he accused and thrust a finger into the redhead’s face. “You were seen!”

“Perhaps it was someone else mistaken for me.”

The king roared with anger. He lunged forward, harshly grabbing the prince’s chin and pulling him down. “No one could be mistaken for you!” Prince Re scowled, but he held his tongue. Slowly the king released him and straightened again. “You went to the river,” he echoed with clear disbelief and a once more quiet voice. After a thoughtful pause, King Re continued in a matter-of-fact tone. “My captain has arranged a training day. I expect your guard to attend as they are in need of the tutelage.”

“My guard is more competent than your old dogs,” Re argued, still keeping his calm.

“Then they will meet tonight to begin,” the king said with a growl and a smirk. Re lowered his chin, his own scowl darkening as he quieted once more. The king frowned back and then let his gaze slip over the Ka once more. “Speaking of dogs, it seems yours has slipped his chain.”

This made Prince Re growl slightly and he answered, “That is my business.”

The king locked eyes with him again. “It will be mine if it happens again.” King Re was completely calm once again. He stepped back and sneered at his son in his traveling cloak as if looking at some transient. “Also I’ve been speaking with my general. I believe we need to redouble your sessions with him.” This decree made the prince’s eyes widen, his confidence wavering. He began to protest this condition, but the king cut him off with a seemingly innocent question. “Are you aware of the banquet in two days time?”

The breath stilled in the prince’s lungs. His hands tightened, left into a fist while the right slowly clenched around Ka’s arm where he still held the scribe. That would be Anki’s party. “I have heard about it,” he said slowly.

The king smiled, looking triumphant. He spoke as if they had reached a mutual agreement. “Your classes will be increased and tomorrow you will spend the full day with him. Your guards will meet my captain for their training when the night post changes. You will not wander and I will see you at the banquet.” Still smiling, the monarch turned for the door. He gestured slightly and his guards preceded him out of the room. They glared at the prince’s guard as they left but the king didn’t glance at any of them.

Toshan was the one to shut the door. The very moment it was closed, Elia sank to her knees and buried her head in her hands. “I don’t think I can stand any longer,” she wailed. Similarly exhausted, Tamul slumped against the wall with a long groan. This punishment was not as bad as he’d feared, but it would indeed hurt.

The prince stood motionless, though his hands had gone lax. Ka carefully pulled his arm free before asking, “Re?”

“Quiet!” the prince snapped without looking at him. “I’m thinking,” he added before finally focusing on Elia and Tamul. “Both of you, lay down now.”

“My prince?” Tamul questioned warily.

Re was not in a good mood and he was not in a mood to be questioned. “Lay down! Now! Even if you cannot sleep, you must rest.” He pointed at his own bed and slowly the two of them began stripping off their armor for the rest. Re turned his attention to Harim and asked sternly, “Did you sleep?”

The young guard was still rather pale, but he nodded. “It’s been quiet until now. I should be all right.”

Re held up a hand to quiet him. “Go to the kitchens for a few strength elixers. Bring raw leaves as well. And meat, have someone roast small pieces. And jerky from the stores . . .” He trailed off, trying to think of anything else that would give his guards energy for their long training. Harim nodded with each new item and when Re sighed and waved him off, the guard hurried to get everything.

“Master Re?” Ka stepped to the prince’s side again. The redhead still didn’t move, breathing fast after such a confrontation. Ka moved in front of him and reached out to touch the prince’s shoulder. Finally the redhead met his gaze and Ka smiled to encourage him. “It will be all right.”

“We are just tired,” the prince said. None the less he cupped Ka’s cheek in turn and leaned down to rest his head against the scribe’s.

“You should sleep as well,” Ka suggested.

Re made a dismissive noise and gestured vaguely towards his bed. Despite their hesitancy, both Tamul and Elia were asleep. Re paced to the wall, putting out the torch before he paced back. “I will have my bed when they leave.”

Ka took the prince’s hand and guided him to sit on one of the cushions, settling on another beside him. “You can still rest. You are doing all that you can for them.”

Re let out a long, tired sigh. “I cannot do anything for you.” He looked over, his face masked with concern. “He has arranged for you to be alone here for the entire day.”

“And chained,” Ka agreed with distaste. He had noticed that and he hoped it had just been a show of power.

“My lord?” both men turned to the hesitant voice to see Toshan creeping forward in the darkness. Re failed to disguise the fact he’d forgotten all about his new servant. Toshan just smiled slightly however and bowed his head. “He won’t be alone if you have me stay here with him.”

Slowly a smile blossomed on the prince’s face. He turned his gaze back to Ka, practically announcing, “Which was the entire point of this horrid trip. Toshan will stay here, and you will have someone to be witness to anyone who may bother you.”

Ka would rather have one of the guards, but it was good to have anyone to watch his back. “I will be happy for the companionship,” he said and noticed how it seemed to ease the prince’s worries.

The redhead told Toshan to guard the door, to let Harim in and wait for the change of guard to wake the others. Then he shifted to lay out and his eyes turned back to Ka. “Tell me a story,” he said gently and settled his head onto the scribe’s lap.

Ka blinked slightly in surprise. Then he pet back the prince’s hair soothingly. He started to tell the story of the mountain and sky gods. Prince Re was asleep before he finished the opening.

-o-o-o-o-o-

0