Chapter 34: Routine
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ka enjoyed the chance to pay respect to the gods. The solemn atmosphere did his soul some good and gave him a chance to rebalance. Re huffed and sighed through the entire ceremony, though he did it quietly enough that no one besides Ka could have noticed. When things were finally concluding Ka took a moment to close his eyes and thank the gods for the fairly comfortable life he found himself enjoying with the prince.

“Come on,” the redhead said gruffly, snapping Ka from his thoughts. He stood and offered a hand to pull Ka to his feet before leading him away again. “Useless,” he muttered as they passed from the temple into the palace halls once more.

Ka was trailing slightly behind, his hand still caught in the prince's grip. His smile had faded to a frown of curiosity as he watched the redhead. “You don't enjoy worship then?”

Prince Re slowed before turning to look at his pet. “Are you asking if I enjoy performing or receiving worship?”

“Which question are you willing to answer?” Ka replied as his grin returned.

Re's eyes narrowed slightly before he shook his head. “Neither, come on.” He sounded slightly amused and was grinning as he turned to begin walking again. “What I will say is that I am bored.” He led the way back to his room, Elia getting the door for the men before taking up her post in the hall. Re only released Ka when they stepped through the doorway and the prince glided over to his mirror to change his jewels and primp his hair.

Ka walked to the table to have some water, watching as Toshan brought the prince his own goblet. The scribe moved towards the redhead's blurred form, wanting to see him more clearly. “If you are bored, should I tell you a story?” he offered.

Re only huffed at the suggestion though. “I have been bored by stories. No, I'm going out.” The prince turned to him before adding, “You are staying here.”

“Oh,” Ka said flatly, feeling rather deflated by that news. His mood began to sink as Re stepped closer and lifted the heavy chain from the end of the bed. He did not step away, but Ka huffed as the end was locked to his collar.

“If it still bothers you so much, figure out the lock,” Re said without much concern. He lifted a hand and waved it as if dismissing his pet, then turned away to address his servant. “I am hungry, you'll accompany me to get Tamul. Bring back a midday meal for the two of you. I'll likely be back by sundown.” He started for the door with no more pause. Toshan was quick to follow, bowing and agreeing to every comment and passing order.

And so Ka was alone again, so quickly that he was left stunned. One hand lifted to wrap around the heavy chain and suddenly Ka felt a rush of fear that he was truly alone. “Elia!” he called out and stepped closer to the door himself.

Thankfully the woman replied right away, stepping into the room. “Are you all right sweetie?”

Ka sighed with relief. He nodded and gave the woman a tight smile. “I'm all right. Just, um,” worried he thought, but did not want to admit it. “I'm just trying to find my books,” he said as an excuse.

Elia did not sound misled and she laughed lightly. “They've been put away in the case. I'll bring some to you.”

“Thank you,” Ka said as she brought over a couple of the tomes. He took them with a little bow and went to his cushion nest to pass some time reading while he waited for the prince to return.

Toshan took some time to bring back any food. Then he quickly left again, declaring he was off to learn the palace since there was a guard to watch out for Ka. The scribe was less than pleased and when he learned that guard had changed and it was Harim in the hall instead of friendly, motherly Elia, Ka went to his pillows and just flopped back onto them. He didn't want to read anymore and his other options nearly all required someone else to be present.

Ka once again found himself waiting for Re's return. He caught himself glancing towards the door often, or straining to hear footsteps in the hall. Eventually he tried to focus on the locked collar, but the distraction didn't last. He was still frustrated by the puzzle and he couldn't keep his mind from straying back to the prince.

He felt it was better than the alternative. The only time his mind strayed that afternoon to something other than Re, it had been to reminisce about his old life. About Mei and his friends . . . “You're nothing without her.”

That life was gone, he told himself firmly. Any regrets had to die with it. Ka had intended to die right along with that old life. Now he gave that life to the man who had saved it, and Ka's mind lingered again on the redhead. He thought of how Re praised him and showed him off like a prize. And when he asked too much, and Ka pushed back and resisted, the prince let it go. Often he found a compromise, such as declaring Ka to be a storyteller. Re still got his way, but it wasn't the outrageous demand he originally wanted.

What did Prince Re want? Ka found he was staring towards the door again as he wondered. One answer was quite obvious: the prince still wanted him, he wanted to take Ka to his bed. In all honesty Ka was still rather surprised he didn't force the issue. Re wanted something more than the physical, he wanted something else from Ka. The scribe hadn't yet figured out what, and he wondered if the prince even knew what it was.

The prince wanted his freedom, that much was obvious to Ka. He wanted separation from the king and he didn't want the elder Re to have such control over his life. It was ironic he tried to seek that freedom with someone he had decided would be his 'pet'. That did seem to be the prince's goal though, he was using Ka to find whatever it was he thought he needed.

And when his attention was elsewhere, Ka was left behind until the prince needed him again. The scribe frowned at the thought. He did not like being cast aside like a worthless toy. His frown deepened, but the anger shifted to focus on himself. He'd given his life up for his crimes. If his life belonged to the prince, what did it matter what the redhead did with it? Ka had no say in the matter anymore, he was nobody. He was nothing without Mei, now he was nothing without Prince Re.

Ka jumped when the door finally opened. He had lost himself so deeply in his thoughts that he hadn't even noticed the sun setting. It was Toshan to enter and the servant went to work right away. He brought water and filled Ka's goblet, then quickly disappeared again. He returned quickly this time, carrying a large platter of dinner foods and followed by Prince Re and Tamul. Ka sighed: even from across the room he could see the men stumbling drunkenly.

Ka had grown hungry again and stood to get some of the food for himself. He approached nervously, keeping an eye on the drunken prince. Re didn't even acknowledge him though, chatting and gossiping happily with Tamul about other palace staff. For a few moments Ka stood there watching the others in silence. After some time he frowned and went back to his pillows to eat.

Re and Tamul ate together at the table, still laughing as they talked. Toshan hurried about, keeping their drinks filled with wine. The servant was even convinced to drink some himself, which only made the mood merrier and louder. Ka was starting to think they would all simply pass out from drink when finally Tamul climbed to his feet. He wished the prince a good night and bowed deeply before he left to stumble back to his own bed.

“It is time for sleep,” Re muttered, his words rather slurred. Toshan hurried to his side and helped the redhead to his bed, stripping off jewelry so that he could sleep comfortably. Re muttered something indecipherable, passing out even before the light was extinguished. Ka realized he was frowning again. He tried to ignore it and curled up beneath his blanket, struggling to get to sleep himself.

The next day was largely the same. Prince Re brought Ka to the training grounds where everyone practiced for a while. There was no interruption from other royals this time and so Ka told a story for the prince towards the end and as they walked to lunch. It was in the kitchens that they were interrupted, this time by the general that was teaching the prince. Re rolled his eyes, but agreed to meet for a lesson none the less.

To Ka's dismay, he was led back to the prince's room and locked to the heavy chain again. “You're not bringing me with you?” Ka asked, once more dismayed.

Re was completely unconcerned as he answered. “No, I want my flute.”

“Rina,” Ka said the girl's name as if reminding the prince she had one.

“Yes, Rina,” Re answered with obvious annoyance. Then he announced, “I'll see you for dinner,” and he disappeared out the door.

Ka was not happy to spend another afternoon alone. Toshan did not leave, but aside from a few games played together, the servant busied himself with other things. Ka stared for some time at his books, but the reading simply didn't hold any appeal. His afternoon was largely a replica of the previous day and it ended the same way, with a drunken prince stumbling in to have dinner in his chambers before passing out for the night.

Ka wondered if this was his routine now. He stood up in the dark room and walked over to the bed to watch the prince. Was this the prince's routine when there were no parties to plan? Every day attending the duties he could not avoid and then drinking himself to sleep? Ka frowned and decided he would join the prince in that indulgence for the night. He found the wine on the table and finished what was left before going back to his nest to sleep for the night.

-o-o-o-o-o-

“You are upset.” Re said simply the next morning.

Ka blinked as he was abruptly pulled out of his thoughts. “Sorry,” he muttered and took another bite of the bread they were enjoying with breakfast.

Re had already finished eating, but his pet's sullen mood was more than obvious. “Are you unwell?”

Ka answered quickly to reassure him. “No, I'm not sick.”

“Then you are upset,” the prince said as his frown grew. He reached out after a moment, catching Ka's chin and raising his eyes. “Tell me what is wrong.”

Ka stared at the prince for a long moment before answering, “Nothing. I'm . . . just bored I guess.”

The prince released him with a suddenly all-knowing nod. “Yes, I understand that feeling quite well. You do have your books,” he said as if reminding the scribe. Ka agreed unenthusiastically and Re only frowned again. Then he stood and offered a hand. “Come. I think we shall pass on the training this morning.”

“Where are we going then?” Ka asked curiously. There was a slight excitement at the prospect of something new. He took the prince's hand and stayed close as they stepped into the hall.

Toshan stayed by their side, the guard already gone to the morning session. “I can give you more books from the library,” Re explained to Ka as they went. The brunet's pulse grew fast as he remembered his last time in that amassed collection of knowledge. The closer they got however, the more the fear changed to excitement. Ka was smiling when they reached the guarded door and Re led him inside. Re caught his chin again before releasing him. “Does this make you feel better?”

Ka calmed just a little bit. “It does, yes,” he answered after a moment. This collection held more power than the books he had been given. More rarity, more variety. Ka stepped away when he was released and began browsing along the shelves to admire the books and scrolls. He hesitated after a moment however and turned to the redhead again. “What are you doing today, Master Re?”

“I don't know yet,” the prince sighed. Then he smiled at his pet again. “For now I am staying here with you.” Ka smiled again himself and nodded. He really did feel better thinking the prince would stay. After a little more time, the redhead stepped up behind him. “Pick me one to read,” he requested.

Ka looked at him, but hesitated. “Nothing about war or kings or gods,” he muttered thoughtfully and turned back.

“I can be somewhat flexible with those requirements,” Re conceded with a sigh.

Ka shook his head though and pulled a thin volume from the shelves. “My memory is limited, but there are still many stories that fit that definition.” He flipped open the little book and glanced through before turning to hand it to the prince. “This is a travel journal, looks like from some caravan to the western deserts.”

Re took the book and started to read the first page. “This may not be terrible,” he agreed. Before stepping away, he caught Ka's chin again. “Choose something to read me later. And a few things to ease your own boredom.”

Ka nodded and went back to browsing. He moved away from the prince as Re leaned against a wall to read and pass the time. As Ka browsed he paused to look over at the redhead and just watch him for a moment. It occurred to the scribe that these books called to him, but it wasn't reading the stories that appealed. Ka realized he was getting something more from sharing them with Re. He was using the prince just as the prince was using him, both searching for something they couldn't quite identify. Ka pulled his attention back to the scrolls and began looking for a story he would enjoy sharing with Re.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay. I really do want to get in the routine of posting every week. I want to post other stories too, and work on my blog and other things that my readers may enjoy. Sadly real life gets in the way and it's a real shit storm out there. One of my cats became ill and had to be put down. Then another cat got ill and my creativity just totally dried up with the stress. She's gotten better now and so have I. I'll keep trying and keep writing. I would love to hear your thoughts and reviews as well, but it brings me joy just seeing the page views.

This chapter was a little bit of a re-centering. I've said before this story doesn't have the traditional act one, act two, etc layout. But the first big story arc has finished up and the next will be kicking off. there will be a little more world-building as Ka finds his place and Re fights for some independence. If anyone does drop a review, I may be able to add requests or details into the coming chapters. Either way, I hop you all keep enjoying the ride. Thanks for reading <3 And hopefully I'll see you next week ^_^

0