Chapter 36: Family Dinner
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The royal family was a focus of admiration and worship within the kingdom. King Re and his eldest son were seen as undisputed living gods. His queens and his other children were considered divine by virtue of his favor alone, raised above the mere humans of the kingdom. The prince had been visibly touched by the gods, but it was the king who stood above all, unequaled in worship in his world.

Ka had been raised on stories of the man's power and glory. He remembered his father and mother both telling him stories in awe and devotion. Not just of the king, but of his father as well, the last king. Ka grew up on tales of great battles against giant armies and fearsome foes, stories of cunning command, brilliant strategy, and eloquent negotiation. The king had never lost a battle, he had never been beaten in any field.

At least according to the stories. The devotion of Ka's parents was without question, but as Ka grew older he grew to be more cynical. He saw more of the hardships within the kingdom and he understood that if the king was some all-powerful god, then he was a callous and cruel one. Ka had found others that fostered these beliefs and by the time he had been introduced to the finer details of the king's prison system, Ka already viewed the position with disdain. Corruption and decay and the worst kind of nepotism, going against any logic or skill so long as the king's needs were served.

King Re stood as a two sided blade to Ka. He was terrible and fearsome as a ruler. He was unbeaten, unquestioned, and invulnerable as a living god. Like a god of war, or death. Somehow believing in the man's corruption did not lessen his aura of power, it only made him more horrible. Ka's pulse was fast as they followed the man into the dining hall. He could hardly breathe as he was led towards the head of the low table. He felt numb when the king reached out to him and wrapped one meaty hand around his arm.

“Sit,” the king commanded and pulled Ka down to the cushions as he sat at the seat of honor.

Prince Re sat to the king's right wordlessly, putting Ka in the corner space between them. He turned to meet the scribe's gaze for a moment, though he kept a blank face. Ka swallowed nervously, then simply bowed his head and settled in his place silently. He understood without words, it was important to play his part here.

King Re did not have to give any order, servants were already moving to begin the meal. Ka raised his eyes slightly, just enough to look around the room curiously. He could see large dishes set up a slight distance away on a separate table. There were people moving around, filling plates from these communal pots. One of them was taking time to examine each dish and Ka gasped slightly as he realized this had to be the taster, checking everything before it reached the royal family. His stomach turned as he remembered the story Re had told him about watching a taster die. The scribe glanced to the prince, but he was sitting stone-faced with his eyes focused on the table.

In moments the food was being passed out to everyone. Prince Re waved away the server that approached him, accepting only wine. Ka hardly noticed, his attention was caught by something else that only reinforced his dread. A soft jangling accompanied their movements and Ka realized these men and women were all shackled. They were prisoners.

No sooner had Ka realized this than a commotion broke out. One of the servers stumbled slightly. She yelped and hit her knees, managing to keep the tray she held from falling. Only the water glass tipped, but that was enough for retribution. The young princess the girl was serving shrieked angrily about getting splashed. She reached out and shoved the girl hard and the poor thing tumbled to the ground amidst a huge clatter as the meal was completely lost. “Clumsy wench,” the princess snapped at her before turning her back and ignoring her completely.

Another server moved to the fallen girl's side, but froze when the king spoke in a booming voice. “Leave her!” he snapped and Ka jumped. The scribe realized he'd been staring. He looked back, but the girl was alone again, pushing up onto her feet without help. The rest of the servers were continuing to bring meals over and as soon as she was standing, the girl immediately joined them. Ka swallowed nervously and lowered his eyes again to stare at the corner of the table.

Despite the commotion, the mood quickly calmed as the meal was begun. There were a few muttered compliments of the food and the king nodded his agreement. Then the ruler looked out across the table and focused on his eldest daughters, both girls that were reaching marriage age. “Salani, Alia, how are your lessons going?”

“Very well, my lord,” Salani answered quickly. “My music is getting very good and I can identify all the flowers in the garden now.”

“Teacher said my dancing is the best she's seen in years,” Alia said with her own pride. “I have begun learning to identify the different silks and laces for the dresses.”

“You'll impress a merchant with that,” Salani sneered at the other girl.

King Re glared at the insult though. “That is a good pursuit. A skill more useful than pretty flowers.”

The princess whined slightly and bowed her head in embarrassment. It was Queen Yana to speak next, reprimanding the reaction as well. “Keep your head up, my dear. Your skills will be just as desirable, but you must keep your image pure. Smile and laugh, you must learn to please even if you are upset.”

“Listen to your mother. Learn from her,” the king said, clearly no longer paying attention.

Prince Re let out a huff of annoyance. Ka glanced at him, but the prince remained silent with only an upset expression. The meal continued quietly, with bits of conversation shared between mouth-fulls of food. It reminded Ka of eating with his family, or around a table with friends. The only difference was that here the comments seemed tense and almost formulaic.

Another course was delivered and prince Re continued to wave away offers of food, though he snapped to bring a server over when his cup emptied. Once filled, the redhead held the goblet over to Ka, offering him some of the wine wordlessly. Ka blinked at the glass and hesitated. He still felt tipsy from the earlier drink and it didn't seem wise to be drunk among the royal family. It also seemed unwise to refuse however, so he reached up to take the goblet.

Further down the table, one of the younger princes snickered. “Do you eat from the same dog bowl as well?”

Ka looked towards the speaker, using it as a chance to see Prince Re's reaction. The redhead's jaw was clenched, but he said nothing and kept his own gaze on Ka. The scribe bowed his head in thanks and lifted the goblet again. He let the alcohol touch his lips, but didn't actually drink any. He bowed again as he handed back the cup and watched Prince Re take a long and very real drink of his own.

“And you, Hamen?” King Re addressed the prince who had spoken. “Have you found someone with which to share your bowl?”

Now the focus of the table, the young prince cleared his throat slightly before answering. “Y-yes, Father. A fine girl from a wealthy farm-”

“A farmer?!” The king interrupted.

“Uh, yes, my lord,” Hamen mumbled. Then he tried to regain some confidence to explain. “I've begun talks with her father. He holds land on the river, two farms and an orchard.”

Ka couldn't help but turn to the king, almost frightened to see how he would react. The ruler was frowning darkly, but he remained quiet. He lifted his goblet, one finger tapping his ring against the vessel thoughtfully. Finally he lowered the drink to speak without looking away from the young man. “You have already spoken with the family?”

Hamen swallowed nervously before nodding. “Just her father. But, um, he is in high standing.”

“A farmer is still a peasant,” the king said simply. He waved one large hand dismissively and focused on his meal, but he continued to speak, laying out a plan. “She must be pretty. If you are that fond of her, she can begin your harem and become your mistress. However you cannot take a mistress until you take an official wife.”

“How wonderful, we must begin planning!” The queen broke into the conversation as if a celebration had just been announced. “There are young ladies in the court that would be suitable. There are possibilities among the nomads as well, my family's tribe.”

“Perhaps,” the king mused. “I have also been planning a trip to the front. Newly gained territory may hold undiscovered wealth.”

Ka turned his gaze back to the prince. Hamen's blurry form was focused on his own meal, eating without comment besides the occasional nod. Queen Yana was still excited though and she clapped her hands briefly. “If they have daughters to join our kingdom we can arrange a proper union. A big ceremony before the gods to combine our kingdoms in strength!”

King Re growled briefly at this suggestion. “Not for Hamen, foolish woman. We must preserve and strengthen the throne before anything else. This is why I wanted you here tonight,” he said and turned his gaze on his eldest son.

Prince Re's grip tightened spasmodically around his goblet. “You wish me to accompany you?” the redhead growled angrily. “To the front lines to look for a bride,” he added flatly.

“You will be accompanying me,” the king said, leaving no room for debate. “What we find there is as yet unknown. It does not matter, you will be by my side, presenting the best of the kingdom.” His eyes slid from the prince over to Ka before slowly looking away again. “If you have formed your own guard, then it is past time for you to form a family. The trip will be two weeks. Choose the things you take wisely.”

Prince Re's breath was slow and measured. He fell silent again and drank until his goblet was empty. Ka struggled to keep his breath as calm, desperately wishing he had managed to escape this uncomfortable situation. The king's attention moved on quickly enough, asking after the younger children that were actually not present at this meal. The conversation returned to the stilted and uneasy talk that was like a mockery of the family gatherings Ka remembered.

Soon even this faded and the king snapped his fingers a few times. For a few moments Ka worried what was being summoned. Thankfully it was an armored general to step towards the table. Prince Re was not able to contain a low groan and the redhead lifted one hand to rub at his temple. The general began to give updates and news from the front, restating any positive news there was to convey. Prince Re angrily got the attention of a server and had his glass refilled again to fortify himself against the boring tales and news. The redhead glanced sidelong at Ka and offered the goblet to him again. This time Ka took a drink and tried to take comfort in the strong, warm alcohol.

The meal lingered on for a while longer before finally King Re sighed with satisfaction. “Are we finished here?” Prince Re asked, absolutely pouncing on the opportunity to leave.

“You and I have much to discuss,” the king answered.

Prince Re practically slammed his goblet onto the table. “Then discuss. What is it you need,” the redhead ground out.

“What I need,” King Re snapped back at him, “is for you to be a respectable heir. We will discuss travel plans in my chambers. You may put your pet to bed.” He waved his hand in dismissal. Then his gaze slid to Ka again, pinning the scribe in place. “What is it called this time?”

The prince did not answer as he pushed up from the table. Then he bent again and took hold of the golden chain connecting the scribe's wrists. “Come along, Ka.” the prince said and helped him stand as well. Tamul quickly stepped to their sides and bowed deeply. Then he took the lead, staying close enough that Prince Re could use his nearness to keep his steps straight.

Ka's breathing was still fast, unsettled and confused by the entire ordeal. He felt unsteady himself, but not from drink. “Why,” he began to ask, but he was quickly silenced.

Prince Re gave the shackles a harsh tug, strong enough to make the scribe stumble. “Quiet,” he demanded angrily.

Ka frowned but nodded submissively. He had many questions though and as they walked the halls he tried to order his still rather tipsy thoughts. Why did the king use prisoners still in chains as his servers? That detail was especially disturbing, but it was far from the most pressing concern. Would prince Re really be leaving for two entire weeks? And more importantly would Ka be left behind or dragged along? He wasn't sure which he preferred.

“Nearly back,” Tamul encouraged quietly as they climbed the stairs nearest the prince's chambers. As they reached the door, they could see it was slightly ajar. The door was pulled open the rest of the way as they stepped close; Toshan stood there, the servant clearly waiting for their return with worry.

Elia was in the room as well and she met them as the three entered. “Captain, where have you been?”

“Dinner with the king,” Tamul explained quietly and the small woman flinched.

“And I have to go back to that bastard!” Prince Re screamed in anger. He paced the room slightly, leaving Ka's side only to return to it a moment later. He did not seem calmer exactly, but he had regained more control. The prince met Ka's eyes and said to him, “You have questions.”

Ka licked his lips before answering quietly. “Yes, many.” He hesitated only a moment more before asking, “Have you taken other pets before me?”

Re gasped slightly and blinked as if he hadn't been expecting that question. He stepped away slightly and Ka tried to follow, wanting to see the prince's expression. “No,” the redhead said simply as he turned away. He crossed the room again, making a straight line for the door. “I must meet with the king. Tamul will provide you answers.”

Ka watched unhappily as the prince left. As he fled and Elia rushed to stay at her post by his side. After a moment, Tamul turned to find Toshan and pointed to the door. “Stay with your prince. Make sure he drinks water and be sure they both get back here tonight. I want you there to give Elia backup if she needs it.” The servant bowed to the order and was quick to hurry out after the prince. Tamul sighed as the door shut and he turned his attention back to Ka. “I also do not want him here for this.”

“I don't understand,” Ka said, admitting his utter confusion.

Tamul sighed again. He walked to the table and filled the water cups. He took a seat and gestured to the other for Ka. “I have been by the prince's side all his life. Ask your questions.”

Ka shook his head slightly, still feeling lost and off balance. He just repeated the question the prince had run away from. “Have there been other pets before me?”

“No,” Tamul said quietly. “There was someone though. And something that happened that has shaped Prince Re.”

-o-o-o-o-o-

0