Chapter 39: Family
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they walked the marble halls that Ka could not even see, the scribe found himself watching Prince Re. The redhead looked tired, his neutral expression somewhat more hostile than usual. When he glanced at Ka though, a smile pulled the prince's lips up a little. It only served to renew Ka's blush, but he smiled slightly in return.

Ka held his tongue, mindful of the guards posting through the night. As they reached the royal's chambers and Elia held the door for them, Ka finally asked the question that was circling his head. “Re? Why did you bring me to Mara?”

The prince sighed slightly and led the way to the bed. “I wanted to see her. I did not want to walk alone, that is all.” His smile returned once more as he added, “I truly thought you would benefit from her skills as well. More satisfying than your own hand.”

The scribe's blush quickly deepened. “That's what I mean,” Ka muttered, staring down at nothing so he didn't have to look at the other man. He felt conflicted about accepting the act at all, but that was for Ka to sort through on his own. “What I want to know is . . . why did you let her . . . give me relief? I would think you would want me to remain frustrated.”

Slowly Re turned to the brunet. He lifted his hand, hooking one finger under his chin to raise Ka's gaze. The prince smiled, but he shook his head. “No, I don't want you to be frustrated or denied. When you come to my bed, it is not going to be because you are desperate.” Ka stared at the prince in surprise, unsure what he could say to that. The redhead leaned close and Ka tensed slightly but did not pull away. Re pressed a soft kiss against his cheek and then briefly rested his forehead against Ka's hair.

When the prince pulled away he put the torch back in its place and sat back onto his mattress. Ka lingered, still curious about something else. “Re, may I ask you about your family?”

The prince hesitated, pausing as he got comfortable. Then he nodded and lay back into his pillows. “What is it you want to know?”

Ka sat on the mattress, looking at Re in the warm glow of the torch. “I was wondering how many children the king had.”

Re nodded again as if in understanding. “That answer changes slightly depending on if you mean legitimate or not.”

“That's what makes me so curious,” Ka explained. “Officially there are four sons and the twin princesses. All children in double digits of age. So who was that little girl?”

“An illegitimate daughter, with Mara.” Re was smiling slightly, but he scoffed at what he saw as pointless and trivial differences. “In truth, King Re has only four legitimate offspring. Aside from myself, Hamen is his oldest. Then Salani and Alia, the so-called 'twins'.” Ka was listening with fascination and Re laughed as he merrily exposed their secret. “They were born a few months apart. One of them was birthed by a concubine and I honestly could not tell you which it is.”

Ka's eyes widened as if reacting to gossip. “Is that true?”

“I was old enough to understand it at the time. I still remember being confused when my baby sister was suddenly baby twins.” He chuckled again before he continued. “After that, Yana bore another son, Kel, and the next year a concubine also gave him a son. Ani is eleven this year and considered an heir officially. The king has two other daughters from women in the harem, and a newborn son. If he is deemed useful, the boy will probably be passed off as Yana's own, just like Ani, but the king has said he has enough daughters.”

Ka frowned and asked with sudden concern, “Then, what happens to Kai?”

“There is no need to worry. She and Seni will still be raised and trained and married off like princesses. Probably to high standing courtiers or trade partners.” Re waved a hand dismissively. He yawned and lay his head back again. “I need more sleep. We can speak more in the morning if you'd like.”

Ka nodded in understanding. “I should sleep more as well. Goodnight, Re.” He stood, briefly patting the prince's arm before he went back to his own space under the window. Re smiled as he shut his eyes and Ka was smiling as well as he lay out to sleep again. He was tired after all that, but quite content. He was asleep even before Toshan put out the torch and plunged the room back into darkness.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Morning came with a banging on the door and angry, fighting voices. Ka jerked awake to Toshan shouting at the guard that forced his way past the irate servant. “I will see the prince,” the guard growled as he stalked into the room.

Elia hurried to block the man's path and the woman drew her sword angrily. “What do you think you are doing?! Get the hell out!” She planted herself firmly, intending to fight if he continued.

The guard did stop, seeming to hesitate at the little woman's ferocity. He was still scowling though and insisted, “The king sent me with a change-”

The guard was focused on Elia and so he jumped slightly when the prince suddenly swept up behind her. The redhead stepped past his own guard and the intruder stepped back uncertainly as the prince advanced. “You have woken me and invaded my chambers! Spout your message and leave while you still have legs to carry you away on!”

Re did not stop and the guard spluttered slightly. “The-the caravan was moved up, sire. It is, uh, leaving tomorrow midday.” He continued to retreat until he stood once more in the hall.

“That was not worth waking me,” Prince Re growled angrily. “Get me my morning meal!” he screamed before stepping back and slamming the door shut. “And wine!” he added through the wood as he listened to the guard scramble off. Re lifted one hand to rub his head and turned to find his servant. “Get me another pain elixer,” he said and Toshan bowed and hurried off without any unnecessary noise.

“Your majesty, please sit.” Elia had put away her weapon and gently guided the royal to his table. “I am so sorry about that.”

“Do not apologize without need,” Re snapped at her with annoyance. “Even if you were in the hallway, you likely could not have stopped that fool. Idiotic old man,” he growled, referring to the king rather than the annoying messenger.

Elia stepped close and brushed back the prince's red hair in a comforting gesture that reminded of Mara. “You will be all right, my lord. The guards favor you, you can be certain.”

For a few moments the prince did not move. Then he looked around and asked, “Where is my pet? Come join me,” he said in that demanding way of his when his eyes landed on Ka.

The scribe stood, crossing the room to the table and taking the other chair. As he settled, Toshan returned and brought over a glass of medicine. Re eagerly took the bitter drink and downed it, grimacing at the taste. “Too much wine can lead to a lot of pain,” Ka said with sympathy.

“Do not start to lecture me like Tamul does,” the prince warned. “I will feel better with a bit more wine, this, and a little time to rest.” Ka pursed his lips, but he kept quiet. It was Re to speak again, ordering “Tell me a story.”

Ka nodded and started to think about the stories he had read lately. “Are you in the mood for a tale of the gods?”

“No,” the prince was quick to stop him. He was still watching his pet and he smiled fondly. “Tell me a story about you.”

Ka blinked slightly in surprise. “Uh, about . . . what exactly?”

Re shrugged slightly, but did not look away. “Something from when you were young. Tell me about you, Ka.”

The scribe was baffled for a few heartbeats, completely unsure what he could tell. Finally he stuttered out, “You-you already know about me . . . but I can tell you about my family.” Re smiled at this compromise and Ka fell silent once more as he thought.

“I remember once when I was about six and Mei was still too young to talk much. My father was away, recruited for a season to work for the king. And so my mother and older sister cared for us children while they worked the farm.” Ka smiled some as he remembered those times. “I remember I wanted to help, so Mother took me out one day and told me to be sure that every plant felt like it was loved. I spent the whole morning kneeling down and saying 'I love you, I hope you grow strong and tasty'.”

Re laughed in delight at the mental picture and Ka chuckled as well. He paused the story though as the guard returned with a morning meal. Re watched as the man was stopped and Toshan took the tray from him. Elia meanwhile blocked the door and sounded both condescending and pleased when she shooed him off to go back to the king. Re was still grinning as he thanked his servant for the meal. Then he gestured for Ka to partake of the food with him and said, “Tell me more.”

Ka blinked with some surprise. “More? Um . . . well I was young, I don't remember all that much.” He fell quiet as he thought. “One thing I do remember is something my sister said before she left to be married. She made me a special treat and hugged me tight and she told me to grow up strong and tasty. I didn't remember saying that to the plants at the time, but I've since remembered and it is a memory I am happy to have.”

Re's smile had faded and he sighed just slightly. “I am not nearly so close with any of my siblings. However that does sound quite nice.”

“It was, I have had a good life for the most part,” Ka agreed. He looked at the prince with some sympathy and remembered their previous night. 'Lonely' the prince had said. Ka was beginning to wonder just how lonely it must have been growing up surrounded by servants, but no friends.

“You said your father was in service of the king. What was he doing?” Re asked as he focused more on his meal.

“He was part of a team working in the quarry.” Ka huffed as he said this, focusing on the food again himself.

Re frowned at this reaction, suddenly concerned. “He returned to you right? Or was he injured?”

Ka glanced up and waved his hand, imitating the prince when he deemed something unimportant. “He was fine, he returned to us safely. He was extremely honored to serve Re and we were all very proud.”

“Then what happened?” Re pressed him.

Ka huffed again. “Nothing happened. Father came home and we continued to work. It was a small harvest, and we still gave the king his share, but it was fine. Things went back to normal.”

The prince frowned at him. “Normal, but hungry?”

Ka shrugged slightly. “Hungry was normal, if the harvest was bad, or the weather, or the pests, or the sun. It was a good life though, we were happy back then.”

“Hmm,” was all the prince said and spent the rest of the meal lost in thought. As the food was finished, he finally sat back and focused on his pet again. “So the caravan leaves tomorrow. And that's moved up?” he called over to Elia.

The guard jumped slightly before confirming, “They said three days, but I guess the king is eager to move.”

“What he is eager to do is interfere with my plans. Another good point for wine, it has thwarted his plot. I cannot be thrown off by an abrupt change if I don't remember the initial agreement.” He stood, crossing the room to his jewels. “I will choose my things now and we will have the day to do as we please.”

'As you please' Ka thought, but didn't say that. Instead he asked, “Am I one of the things you will be taking with you, Master?”

Prince Re turned to look at him. He frowned again, but shook his head. “No, I do not think it would be wise. You will stay here and Elia will watch after you.”

Ka found he was relieved at this news. “It is probably for the best.”

“Besides,” Re said and waved his hand again, dismissing the worry, “King Re will be leaving along with a full compliment of servants and guards. The chefs, select members of the harem . . .” he trailed off, shaking his head as he thought of it.

Ka frowned as well, more upset at a different thought. “And you will be traveling with the king. In the same wagon?”

Re clearly shared his thoughts and practically yelled, “Thank the gods, no! I haven't shared his sedan in nearly a decade. I have my own guards and servants now, I will barely have need to see him for the evening meal.”

Ka smirked slightly. “I suppose that is good. Two weeks would be a very long time to be in close quarters with the king.”

“Unbearably long,” Re agreed. Then he turned to Ka again and walked back to his side at the table. “It will be difficult enough to be away from you that long.”

Ka kept his gaze lowered, but he agreed quietly. “I am fairly certain I will miss your presence.”

As he thought, the prince sounded delighted to hear this. “I will miss you. But that is not until tomorrow. Come help me choose my jewels.” He tugged the scribe up from the chair, leading him back over to the mirror with a smile. Ka simply shook his head, but he went along to humor his prince.

-o-o-o-o-o-

0