Chapter 7 – Those Two Rivals
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

The second day of Fuyusato Grand Festival featured the sports festival, making it an even more exciting day than the first one. That would be true had it been from a typical high school student's perspective.

Kazuki pondered on such thought process while looking at the white shirt and jogging shorts he wore. He never took a particular interest in the athletics fest as an audience, but not only will he be part of it this year, he was slated to be a class representative.

Who would have expected Ms. Sadohara to do what she did and sign him up?

I should really learn how to say no... he lamented before shutting the door to his locker. It would have ended there, but thinking about those thoughts did not make him feel as bad as he would have thought. He never favored athletic activities much, but today was somewhat different.

He would be facing Reijy Ishida as an opponent, and after what had happened, he would like nothing more than a way to embarrass him in front of everyone.

He wanted to win. Badly. In a way that would forever give him something to retaliate with the next time his lifestyle and decisions would get criticized by that person.

"If it isn't my boy, Arata. 'Sup, apprentice?"

"Yo," Kazuki briefly turned his head to see his classmate and friend.

Sweat already dripped past his bandana, yet he somehow looked as fresh as ever thanks to his facial expression.

"Don't "Yo" me, my man! What are you doing here when the whole team's outside in a huddle?"

"Need some personal space to calm myself down and all."

"Come on, you can't afford to get the jitters now. Not when we're in such a neck-and-neck race with everyone! Maybe you're up for some sports drinks?"

He lightly tossed him a bottle. "I haven't drank anything myself, but you might want one."

He lightly patted Kazuki's back before running out.

Left alone, Kazuki gave one last look at the locker room before nonchalantly following his classmate out.

He never drank the sports drink.

2

"It's time for our main event of the day! It's been a cool and awesome day of intense battles, but it's finally come to this! With one last event to go, which team will get the crown for this year's sports fest?!"

"Biases aside, I have to think that the red team is looking really strong."

Replying to Sayori Misawa's question was her senior seated beside her on the announcers' table, Lilya Bloomenfled.

"Ehhh? The one with Pres in it? Are you sure that's without bias?" she asked jokingly. "Well, their team did do a great job sweeping through the competition a while ago. That performance in the obstacle course is something that we'll remember for years to come."

Bloomenfled slowly nodded as the drill-haired girl continued.

"And who could forget that extremely close win in the pole-toppling competition? But the spotlight is on different people now! It's Reijy Ishida and his group of friends about to go to work. Overall, this year's red team is awesome! I can't wait for the event to end!"

"Won't that get taken wrongly?" asked Bloomenfled.

"Ah, no no no! It's not that I want the event to end, but I'm just so excited to take pictures with the teams and launch the celebratory fireworks later! I even brought some with me now. Check out that sack at the back of the room."

"Hey, that's dangerous!" sternly reprimanded Bloomenfled. "Give me that!"

"There they go," commented Kazuki as he looked at the monitor that showed a feed from the indoor studio housing the announcers' booth.

"Their chemistry is amazing though."

The friend with spiky hair gave him a thumbs up.

"I feel sorry for Bloomenfled, to be honest. But yeah, I guess you're right. They are entertaining," Kazuki responded as he looked at the field and the people in white and red gathering into their respective groups.

In particular, he was looking for one specific person on the red team, and he easily located that person through sheer population density.

Reijy Ishida was active in planning formations in the huddle. He could tell that the haughty upperclassman was being loud, and he only had fate to thank that he wasn't in that person's team.

Good thing our leader wasn't such a pain in the ass.

He thought this just before looking at the white team captain, Kotoko Chouno of the swimming club. He barely bothered to get to know this girl in his years here, but seeing the senior in action the previous day and today gave some weight to Amagi's stories about her.

Mature, responsible, and warm. Those were traits of an ideal elder sister that she truly exemplified. Despite that, Amagi also told of a surprisingly competitive nature of the senior.

Speaking of Amagi...

"Look at them go!" whistled Shiki.

Kazuki was already at it, and he nodded to the beat as he looked at the cheerleaders on the field.

His eyes immediately gravitated to where both Uehara and Amagi were. There they were, working as hard as they can as part of the cheer squad led by the third year Rin Amamiya.

"They look so pretty, huh? Especially with those attires that expose their bellies and all. Perfect for us boys. So, which one do you like more?"

Kazuki kept quiet, feeling slightly annoyed to be ask this question a second time this week. The truth was that he himself did not know. He liked both of them in their own ways. He also learned not to pick favorites.

"I like them both equally," he paused momentarily. "Although if you were to answer truthfully, I think Amamiya looks best in that outfit."

"Wha?"

"Don't worry, she's all yours. She's not my type, anyway."

"H-hey, what do you mean?! She's a beauty, I give you that. But that girl's scary, man! I would never fall for someone like her."

"What was it that you kept saying? Oh right. You two have really good chemistry," Kazuki teased as he saw his friend shudder while massaging an ear. "You like the glamorous and gorgeous types, don't you?"

"Not with a temper like hers!"

Kazuki chuckled as he watched the cheerleaders finish their intermission number.

"I guess that's it. Time to get ready, Shiki."

"Before we move on to the relay race, I have a very special announcement! We have a special guest joining us in the announcers' booth just for this main event."

It was an announcement that drew a lot of whispers and chattering, but Kazuki found himself caring little.

"Ya-hoooo~"

Kazuki felt all the hair in his body stand up upon hearing that familiar voice from the studio. He reflexively looked at the monitor, and there she was.

"Always smiling, always shining, your favorite idol, Yuki-tan is here! Or... That's what I would have said, if I wasn't on hiatus. For today, I am just your best friend Yui, and I will be the third host for the main event. Hoping to have a great time with y'all!"

Wearing her neon-colored sidetail, a bespectacled Yui Kimura appeared on the screen, taking her spot in the middle of the two student council members. Flashing a V-sign and a wink, she repeatedly posed for the cameras, much to the surprised expressions of the two co-hosts.

"What is she doing here?" asked Kazuki amidst the chorus of cheers.

"Oh, and Darling is playing, right? Right? Which team is he in? I'll be rooting for that team to win! Then, we can have a celebratory date after that!"

Those were words that sent chills down Kazuki's spine. For a second, he felt as if numerous pairs of eyes stared him down.

He had hoped that his schoolmates would have forgotten the whole fiasco with Kimura, but guess not. He did not even dare look at the field where Uehara and Amagi were.

"Then, I'm taking the red team! Red team, go go!" interrupted Misawa.

"As announcers, we are not supposed to take sides. Call this down the middle, please," interjected Bloomenfled.

When she was ignored, she just shook her head while looking at the two bickering co-hosts.

"Yeah! That's more like it! Come, we can't afford to lose! Not with Yuki-tan cheering us on!"

Shiki then ran back to the white team to rally the forces. Kazuki, on the other hand, took a deep breath, rubbed his hands, and followed suit.

3

Kazuki never expected to be so caught up in anxiety over a sports fest game, but there he was, waiting for his turn with bated breath.

The final event of the sports fest was a relay race with a unique twist. Instead of people scattered around the course waiting their turn, each team member waited in the sidelines.

After every lap by a runner, new obstacles got added, which the next one in line would have to deal with. The course becomes progressively more difficult the more obstacles got changed, making turn orders within the teams of five so important.

"Strange. Why is everyone acting so tired?" commented Chouno, furrowed brows showing her concern before asking the two previous runners. "You okay?"

While one of them failed to answer, having slumped back with his eyes closed, the readhead who started things out for the team, Toshizo Ishikawa, was quick to reply.

"I'm sorry, but I can't explain it. All of a sudden, I began feeling woozy. That's why I tripped a bit and strayed off course. Dammit, I had the lead!"

The first year student, despite the relative stupor, continued explaining to the team's acting coach in what Kazuki could imagine to be a very animated way.

"Maybe I stuffed myself too much with that sports drink."

Before he can blame himself even more, Chouno gently gave the youngster a pat on the head.

"Don't worry about it. We're still in this game. Right, Arata and Shiki?"

"Yeah! Let's go!"

In contrast to Shiki's enthusiasm, Kazuki merely gave a thumbs up. After all, his mind remained preoccupied with the pre-match conversation with Reijy Ishida.

"I don't think you need reminding, but you never beat me in one of these," smugly stated Ishida. Despite maintaining the usual arrogance that he had, Ishida's words were quite jittery and his pupils swung in various directions.

"Who knows? It's a team sport, and I'm not fighting alone."

"But can you rely on your teammates?"

Kazuki raised his eyebrows. Something seemed fishy about his delivery, but he couldn't quite put a finger to it.

"I'll wipe off that smug expression on your face when we're done with you, Arata!"

"Have you seen yourself? It's just a race, no big deal. Who wants a trophy anyway?"

"Grrr... I do! You're not stopping me from finally getting a W this week!"

"Well, wouldn't it be embarrassing to lose after trying so hard?"

The bell then sounded, signaling the time for the start of the race. As his rival did not get a chance to respond, Kazuki walked away satisfied, feeling that he had won the battle.

He still had to win the war.

"-et ready. Get ready, Arata!"

Hearing Chouno's voice, Kazuki hurriedly looked back at the field, finally freed from his daydream. Seeing the tired third runner come, he readied to catch the baton.

Kazuki did not know this third year student besides his name, Hakuren Nagano. Nevertheless, the senior with black hair in a short ponytail had done an excellent job, closing the gap between teams.

The third runner of the other team only had a slight headstart over him, and Nagano quickly handed the baton over to the waiting Kazuki.

"Thanks, Nagano!"

Without wasting any more time, Kazuki took to the field, finding himself a few inches away from the other team's fourth runner...

"How ironic, Arata! Guess it's really fated for me to crush you!"

A few inches ahead, Reijy Ishida glanced back to trash talk.

Time flew by. Between all the obstacles to play around and the sneaky roughhousing as the two runners closed in on each other, Kazuki was having fun.

It was a feeling that he did not expect entering the event, but his mind and heart pushed on in complete excitement.

So hot. My body feels like it's on fire!

He really wanted to beat this guy, after all. The anticipation only grew as he slowly closed the gap on his rival.

He knew that in a normal setting, this would not be happening. However, he's no longer a normal person. Not for the past few months, at least.

All the fighting inside Fragments was finally paying off.

They reached the halfway mark of the long, winding track, where they were nearer to the loudly cheering audience, when a very distinct voice sounded off from the crowd.

"Don't lose, Arata! Go get him!"

It was that voice that caught Kazuki's attention, and he was sure that his opponent felt doubly so.

In the midst of their race on this straight portion of the track, both competitors focused at the part of the crowd in front of them.

Standing out was Akane Fujiwara, who waved her hands and helped rally the portion of the crowd in favor of Kazuki.

He did not know what happened after yesterday's confrontation, but he sure was glad that she made it back. And she's on his side.

With the two of them still being neck-and-neck, Kazuki took time to sneak in some trash talk of his own in between panting.

"Looks like even your girl's cheering for me now. I can't lose to you now, Ishida."

"You jest!" answered an annoyed Ishida, who then nimbly jumped over a pole barricade, one of the many obstacles set up.

As he made his jump, Kazuki prepared to do so, only to land in a way to narrowly avoid a piece of the barricade flying his way.

It was great that he decelerated. Otherwise, he would have stepped onto the pole and slipped.

"That damn Ishida," he muttered with gritted teeth.

He saw that.

For the audience, it might come off as an accident, but he clearly saw Ishida's foot narrowly flick the obstacle off as he made his landing.

Between this and him "inadvertently" bumping him a while ago, he could feel the desperation in Ishida to win.

This person's having a really rough week and wanted something to hang his hat on.

Normally, Kazuki would have considered giving the game to anyone. But this was Reijy Ishida, and he only doubled on his effort, finally catching up to him as they headed for the homestretch.

Feeling the weight of the adrenaline and with tired legs, the two stumbled towards their last representatives.

Still neck-and-neck, the game would be decided by the next runner.

Chouno and Shiki sprang up as the runners approached. The two neck-and-neck runners closed in on each other during this stretch.

Kazuki felt a strong force pushing him, which prompted him to repay the favor, "accidentally" shoulder shoving Ishida right back.

It was here that an ominous feeling assaulted Kazuki from all angles. Like a cold and tingling feeling, it shocked him during the moment of the last collision.

The momentum of the two forces sent both of them spiraling out of control, with him shooting straight towards his team's huddle.

More importantly, in his tumble, he lost the grip on his baton and can only watch it soar through the air.

Oh crap!

His eyes widened, and time slowed to a crawl before his face finally met the floor. However, before disaster can strike, the baton was caught in mid-air.

"I got your back, buddy!" beamed Shiki. "I'll take it home!"

"Be careful," said Kazuki right after his face slid against the tracks.

"Who do you think I am?"

Kazuki was sure that his friend was saying something else, but he heard none of that as Shiki wasted no time running off.

As for him, he lay in place before the team's leader, Chouno, hurriedly attended to him with a towel and a first aid kit.

He exhaled, leaving everything to Shiki.

He knew that his male childhood friend was someone he can trust, and Shiki was not a person who would let him down.

If Shiki just put his mind into something, nothing will be able to stop him.

1