008 – THE BEST FRIEND
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Sorry, I got held up! Otherwise, I'd be here already!" Amber apologized immediately to Brittany, who had been waiting patiently all this time by herself. Brittany had picked a booth by the window in the massive campus Dining Hall that served breakfast, lunch, and dinner for those who chose to eat on campus.

"I hope you didn't wait long." Amber sat down across from Brittany. She dropped her backpack next to her before placing her breakfast tray on the table.

Students, parents, and friends rustled back and forth around the congested court, trying to get breakfast and locate open seats. The bustling of noise and smell crowded their senses, but it was customary, especially on a Monday morning.

"Not at all," Brittany smiled, noticing the slice of bread, butter, and yoga parfait Amber called breakfast. In comparison, her tray was made up of partially eaten pancakes, scrambled eggs, and sausages. "As you can see, I didn't wait for you, and you apparently, didn't wait for me, either."

Amber stuck out her tongue at Brittany, not at all offended. "I made breakfast this morning, so I'm still pretty full. Oh, and I literally just ran from the Technology center to make this date. You better appreciate!"

Brittany chuckled, sipping down her orange juice from a straw. "What kept you?"

Where Amber was darkness, Brittany was light. Her blue eyes and blond hair attracted attention everywhere she went. It also didn't help that those eyes of hers were big and beguiling, like a puppy, often bringing in more attention than Amber wanted. Either way, they were an odd combination, and they knew it.

"A guy," Amber answered while spreading butter on her toast. "And no, before you get the wrong idea, I'm not interested."

"Why not?" Brittany's blue eyes sparkled at her. "Just because you're engaged doesn't mean you can't keep your options open."

Brittany was one of the few that knew about Amber's engagement. A sophomore, like Amber, they had met back in the middle of their freshman year and have been inseparable since.

"Brittany!" Amber gasped, pretending to be shocked. "Are you also going to suggest I have an affair after I get married?"

Brittany laughed, and the two settled in to finish breakfast.

Brittany was what Amber considered attractive, like one of those picture-perfect models you see on television with a tiny waist and long legs. Anything and everything she wore only enhanced her silhouette and curves. Amber was surprised she hadn't been picked up yet by an agent to grace the covers of magazines. To Amber, Brittany was the most beautiful, kind, and considerate human being that walked this earth. Brittany was so kind that she couldn't even hurt a fly. Unfortunately, it was also due to this that she often allowed herself to be bullied.

That was how they met. It had been a rainy day outside after class, and a couple of sophomores didn't want to get drenched, nor did they want to wait out the rain. Amber caught them making trouble by the building entrance, watching as they attempted to take Brittany's umbrella. And Brittany was making it so easy, like stepping on an ant. Never mind the fact that Brittany could barely afford an umbrella in the first place.

Looking at her now, with her hair in a braid, Amber would have never thought she came from a poor background. It was a sensitive subject, one they rarely spoke about. None of it mattered to Amber, though, because she couldn't have asked for a better friend. In fact, she was her only friend.

With breakfast out of the way, there was still one unfinished business to take care of.

"When are you going to move in?" Amber wiped her mouth and hands with a napkin. "I waited all day for you yesterday, but you never came."

They had communicated back and forth during the summer, but only through the phone since all Brittany could afford was a phone. While Amber lived in the cities, Brittany came from the country, about a three-hour commute on a bus, and Brittany's only mode of transportation.

"Amber…" Brittany rolled her eyes.

"Brittany…" Amber echoed.

"It's fine. I don't mind the commute."

"It's a three-hour commute! Call me crazy, but if I have that kind of commute every day, I will go insane."

"You already are," Brittany laughed.

"And you're insane for having a friend like me," Amber joked before growing serious again. "My place is large enough for the both of us, our items, and four cats and dogs! My parents have already informed the school. Plus, I would love to have a roommate to make things a little less lonely."

"I don't know," Brittany hesitated. "Are you sure it will be okay?"

"Why wouldn't it be okay?" Amber countered. "If you bring up the rich vs. poor thing again, I will scream."

"But you've already done so much for me."

"Brittany, if you consider me your best friend, then say no more and move in. Otherwise, if you think me spoiled and selfish, then you might as well stay away."

"I don't know how I'll ever repay you," Brittany's voice lowered. "I'll pay as much—"

"You are not paying me anything," Amber took out a key from her pocket and dropped it on the table in front of them. "Actually, scratch that. You can pay me by making sure you pass all your classes and showing everyone else how awesome you are."

Brittany laughed while Amber pulled out her phone to check her schedule.

"Since I waited for you all day yesterday and you didn't show up, you'll have to move in yourself this afternoon," Amber placed her phone back into her pocket. "I have a few books I need to get from the library. So, I'll be doing that this afternoon."

"I thought you did that yesterday?"

"You'll never believe what I heard yesterday!" Amber leaned in, books forgotten. She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Apparently, the heir of Pro Securities is also here, in this campus!"

"But why?" Brittany inclined backward, crossing her arms. "The campus is mediocre, at best."

"Right," Amber nodded in agreement. "But it's just a rumor. I don't know if it's true or not. I just heard it yesterday at the library."

"There's got to be some truth to it," Brittany tilted her head, thinking. "Otherwise, why would people go around talking about it?"

A pair of green eyes came to mind, and Amber quickly waved it away. "Or assuming every guy sleeping at the library is the heir."

Brittany eyed her skeptically. "You've been mentioning the library a lot. Is there something that you're not telling me?"

There was, but Amber didn't want to go into it at the moment. If she did, she would never go to the library, which was her priority. She needed to get to that book before someone else did!

"Nothing but the usual. If I mention it enough, will you give in and join me there for once?"

"I refuse to step foot inside that place unless my grades are failing," Brittany shuddered, just thinking about it. "That place scares me! Rows upon rows of books, and you're expected to be quiet. It's a murder scene or a ghost scene just waiting to happen, I tell you!"

If there was one flaw in Brittany, it was that she was afraid of libraries. Amber had assumed it was due to a terrible experience in the past that left Brittany traumatized. Only Amber had just recently learned this summer that there was no horrible experience. It was just because Brittany loved horror movies. She loved thrillers, and murder mysteries, and everything that went bump in the night. Unfortunately, Brittany's love ended on screen. Her imagination ran wild after that.

Amber heard the familiar ring tone emanating from her phone before it began vibrating in her pocket.

"Fiancé's calling," Brittany retrieved the key on the table and began tidying up the mess they created. Brittany was around Amber enough now to recognize the particular ringtone.

"I'll check on him later," Amber stood, yawning and stretching her limbs. After sitting down for so long, her arms and legs had fallen asleep. "I was just kidding about moving in yourself. Go get your stuff, and I'll help you move this evening."

"I knew you wouldn't leave me hanging," Brittany exclaimed. "You're the best!"

Feel free to comment and provide feedback on grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, or anything else I missed. Any and all feedback and reviews are welcomed. Thank you for taking the time to read, rate, and/or comment! 

1