009 – THE FIANCÉ
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amber browsed through the catalog of books in front of her, head tilted sideways to read the titles, searching for her book. Also a lot easier than attempting to make out the words vertically. The computer system indicated there was still one available to be checked out, even though the library listed a total of five copies. Amber assumed she would be one of the first five to get it, but it was starting to look like five others beat her to it.

Nonchalantly, Amber tapped her fingers against the shelf, reflecting. If she hadn't been so distracted yesterday, would she have gotten the book? So much for trying to save some money. It would cost her two hundred dollars for it, but maybe she could sell it after she was done with it? What were textbook resale prices going for these days?

Abruptly, a hand came out of nowhere from behind Amber, intruding on her thoughts and blocking her path forward. Unfazed, her eyes traced the long arm up and around to the black vest and thick shoulders before ducking underneath. She recognized who it was immediately just by the sleeves. Only one guy in her world wore shirts with cuffs, no matter rain or shine.

"What are you doing here? Your school is miles away from this place." She resumed scrolling through the titles of books, leaving the owner of the arm behind her.

"Not even a hello or smile for me?" The silky voice answered, now loitering slowly behind her.

Amber paused between shelves of books, rotating back to a face she'd known since childhood. The familiar gray eyes regarded her tentatively, unsure of her reaction.

Liam Riley, her fiancé from birth, was uniquely different from Hunter and probably every guy out there. Where Hunter was winsome and original, Liam was sophisticated and refined, even dry. Despite not being fully developed, his facial features were already sharp and define, clean-shaven with a jawline male models would die for. His straight brown hair was always brushed back and styled with gel, not a single strand out of place.

Meticulous and well-bred. An image Liam presented, and women, young or old, perpetually congregated to him in hopes of being the one. Amber knew better, growing up with him and all.

"Your fiancé isn't allowed to see you when you are missed?" Liam grinned cheekily. "Not quite the surprise I was expecting, but it'll do because I know that's how you are."

"You mean Tiffany isn't chasing after you anymore? Or what about Molly?" Amber returned his smile.

"I didn't think you'd hear about them that fast," Liam winced. "Listen, Amber—"

"What are you really doing here?" Amber interrupted. She crossed her arms and tapped her foot silently against the soft dark carpet. The aisle they were in was right at the front, where some of the students were quietly studying. And now, some of them were staring, eavesdropping. Not as private as Amber hoped, but nothing ever was with Liam as she learned, who was the son of her parents' best friends. Not just the best of friends, but also business partners.

As the story goes, the pairs created a successful consulting business years before Liam or she came into the picture. After achieving their dreams so young, they finally decided to have kids. Liam's parents went first. He was, of course, spoiled, being the only child. Everyone—including her parents—overindulged and treated him like he was their own. Soon after, Amber was born, and it was then that the parents decided to solidify the relationship by using their kids.

Amber and Liam were betrothed before Amber was even born.

"Jealous?" Liam leaned against the bookshelf, crossed his arms, and consider her.

Tall, dark, and handsome, with dark brown hair and gray eyes, Liam was the epitome of virility, but that was it. Other than the artificial image he presented to the world, Liam was crass, crude, and inconsiderate of anyone else but his wishes. Amber had known him ever since they were kids and knew all his secrets. His biggest one? All the time spent on his appearances and sweet tongue were only for show. Deep down inside, Liam cared only about himself—and maybe his parents.

If she were to describe their relationship, it was probably less of a fiancé and fiancée and more of a business transaction. After all, they've both been groomed since birth to take over their family business. Currently, the shares were split between Liam and Amber's parents equally. Once Liam and Amber married, the percentage would be transferred to just them, with Amber owning half and Liam holding the other.

Amber ignored him and turned back to her bookshelf. Twice now, these distractions keep happening, and in the library!

"I've always said we should date other people till we're married. Otherwise, we'll never know what it's like. I don't want either one of us regretting it after we're wedded."

At Liam's words, a young man's face floated into her mind, one with red curls and youthful features, but she shrugged it off. Instead, she said more to herself than to him. "No, thank you. I don't want that sort of temptation."

"Your loss," Liam straightened, leaning forward and lowering his voice. "Or…are you madly in love with me that you can't bear to be with anyone else?"

Amber had moved onto the next aisle of books and nearly tripped over herself at his words. Almost, because she steadied herself at the last second by the soles of her heels. Coincidentally, she nearly choked with suppressed laughter at the thought of her being in love with Liam.

She considered it—once—a long time ago.

Liam tsked at her clumsiness before getting to the real reason why he was there today. "There's a reception tonight to introduce me to some more of my parents' associates. I came by to see if you wanted to be my date."

"No, thank you," Amber answered without a second thought.

"You could at least make an effort to consider it," Liam huffed. "Why not?"

"Already got plans," Amber would have lied even if she didn't.

People like Liam thrived under the spotlight. They lived and breathed in it as if it was their entire world. Liam was born into it, and he relished every moment of it. Without it, he was like a fish out of water, struggling to get back.

Unlike Liam, however, Amber detested the publicity.

"With whom?" Liam demanded, a little too aggressively.

Amber didn't answer, only glanced at him with a raised brow.

"Fine," Liam sneered at her silence. "I'll invite Tiffany or Molly. I prefer the company of warm girls over that cold attitude of yours any day."
"You came all this way to ask me out? You could have just called—" Amber paused, remembering the call she had disregarded earlier. A small layer of guilt washed over her, but if she stopped to think about it, Liam was probably here already during his phone call. Something else was going on here...

"Liam!!" A sudden female voice shouted excitedly. She came out of nowhere, scrambling through the rows of open tables to embrace him tightly, flattening herself against him without an ounce of shame. "What a surprise! You're earlier than expected for our date. I am so happy to see you!!"

Right on cue, too.

"Baby—look—I—uh…" his eyes met Amber's across the room.

Caught in the act.

Long past caring who he was with, Amber rolled her eyes, turned forty-five degrees, and made her way out of the library. She should have known better than to feel bad, even for a second. On her way out, Amber ignored the group of girls, whispering and laughing hysterically while scampering in Liam's direction.

Outside the library, Amber paused in front of the wide-open pixel glass in the long corridor of the building. She turned, crossing her arms, observing Liam, who was now surrounded by a group of girls, and wondered if this was her future. He had both arms around two different ladies, both clinging and battling their lashes at him, competing for his attention. A couple of his friends from who knows where stood silently by, waiting on his every command. Amber momentarily debated how many of them would throw Liam or her under the bus if given a chance.

Only a limited number of people knew about their engagement. Other than close family (and Brittany), no one else knew of the match. It wasn't actually public knowledge because it was never officially announced to the press. All of it, due to Amber, who'd asked her parents and future In-Laws to keep the engagement private. At least until she was finished with college.

Why? The most prominent reason was that she wanted to experience a typical, quiet life, if not forever, at least for a while. Not the spotlight that Liam enjoyed or craved, but the serene moments like these. Everyone agreed to it only because they didn't like the attention it would bring when exams were critical to their success.

Her eyes drifted further back towards a young man, a student, who was standing guard wordlessly near Liam. A junior on campus with sleek brushed black hair and a gentle face. On the brim of his nose were black squared glasses, giving off a nerd sort of vibe. Amber always wondered how Liam got his claws on the student, how much Liam paid the junior to do his bidding.

Her eyes met the young man's in the pixel glass, and he nodded slightly in recognition.

Amber turned, ignoring the young man, and walked off.

They both knew of each other's existence but pretended otherwise. To Amber, the young student was doing his job. Liam was probably paying him more than enough so that he didn't have to work long hours at some restaurant catering to the whims of customers. And the student always stayed out of her way without intervening.

The real problem here was Liam. Amber was still trying to figure it all out.

Liam may not have realized it, but Amber knew his possessive streak ran deep. Whatever was his, no one else was allowed to partake. And Amber fell into that category. It was why she knew about the black-haired young man because this was the individual Liam had hired to spy on her when he, himself, couldn't do it.

Amber lamented, her thoughts going back to why she was here in the first place. She was going to have to buy the book after all.

Once outside, Amber lingered at the top of the steps and took in a deep breath of fresh air.

When did the atmosphere inside the library get so suffocated?

Much more invigorated, Amber took the steps down the library two at a time, contemplating the past. When did it all turn? When did they both change so much that they were practically strangers now?

They had been the best of friends growing up, even closer than siblings. At one time, during her early teenage years, Amber even fancied herself in love with Liam. Until she realized he was incapable of loving anyone else but himself. It was even more of a surprise when her feelings were more brotherly affection than toe-curling. Amber had wanted Liam to be the one to make her heart flutter because who better than the man she was engaged to? Unfortunately, all they had were mutual respect and nothing more—if even that.

Liam didn't make her heart skip sporadically or produce knots in her stomach. And his kisses? Amber had only allowed him to kiss her once, and it left her wondering what all the hype was about. Ever since then, she had kept the relationship strictly professional.

This was a partnership.

Amber was the successor.

There was an expectation to marry her betrothed and take on the family business. One she would do diligently, as was required of her.

Feel free to comment and provide feedback on grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, or anything else I missed. Any and all feedback and reviews are welcomed. Thank you for taking the time to read, rate, and/or comment! 

1