011 – PASSING NOTES AGAIN
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the first class that week, Amber had been sharp and early, ever the punctual student. But not today. This time, neither the sun nor the birds chirping could wake her. Good old Brittany, of course, stayed up late, so she was still asleep when Amber's internal alarm clock chimed.

She made it five minutes before the start of class—the last student to walk in. Amber hated being the last one because it meant getting the left-over seats. Ergo, arriving bright and early. Not today, however, and Amber only had herself to blame.

Last student, but not the last person. Thank God! The professor was still missing!

After last night's complication, Amber tried to do some reading. No luck there when her brain refused to cooperate, continuously meandering back to events of the library. Firstly, a particular green eye guy and the secret messages passed between them before finally stopping at Morman Down There. All of it played repeated in her head until Amber ultimately called it quits.

Well, technically, until she tapped out.

Amber hesitated by the door, staring out into the vast ocean of students, speculating where to sit. Was there even an open seat left in the house?

"Amber!" Hunter waved his hand from the far end of the room. "Over here! I saved you a seat."

At least there was one good thing about having a friend in class.

Amber promptly made her way to Hunter and took the seat he saved without drawing too much attention. As the heir to a company worth more than a billion dollars, there were always eyes on her, so it meant being extra careful in public. The less conspicuous, the better. The campus was like a breathing paparazzi.

"I didn't expect this class to be so full," Hunter remarked as Amber settled in comfortably. Fortunately, by taking up two seats at the end, Amber didn't have to squeeze through anyone. "There is a full house."

"No kidding." Amber's gaze moved throughout the room. "Not an empty seat left."

"Were you avoiding me on purpose?" Hunter's charming face turned into a grin. Those red curls of his framed his face, so boyish and carefree. There goes that look again. The one that gave off a 'secret admirer' vibe. "Were you thinking about me so much you couldn't sleep?"

The room went silent.

"Hunter…" Amber warned. It felt like all eyes and ears were on their conversation, and their conversation only.

"What?" He gave an exaggerated look. Then in a loud tone. "Can't a guy have a decent conversation with his girlfriend in public?"

At which point, the noise started up again, and everyone angled away.

Relieved, Amber made herself at home, unzipping her backpack to take out a binder and pens before placing her water bottle and phone on the table. She kept her laptop tucked away, with class two-and-a-half hours long. Paying attention was going to be a full-time job. It also didn't help that she skipped breakfast this morning by sleeping in.

As if on cue, her stomach growled modestly.

Amber sank back against the chair, noticing something else on the desk. Her eyes gravitated to the transparent plastic cup and then at Hunter before traveling back to the cup. It looked to have chocolate and milk. Or maybe coffee and cream?

He grinned cheekily. "Yours."

Before Amber could ask, the professor, a female this time, walked in, and conversations came to a halt. The professor began talking as she approached the front. After directing students to either turn off or silence their phones, the professor droned on regarding the rules and expectations for the course.

Amber muted her phone and noticed the missed call from her dad. It happened earlier during her scramble and probably why she didn't hear the ring. Too late to call back now. She'd have to wait until the professor called for a break.

Twenty-five minutes in, Hunter shifted nonchalantly over to her side with a patch of paper underneath his elbow. Her heart did a quick three-sixty as he moved away, and she caught the comfortable scent of fresh soap and outdoors. A quick glance at Hunter showed he had turned back to the front. Amber read the masculine print.

Don't love your coffee? You haven't taken a sip.

Quietly, she inserted the straw into the plastic cup before mixing and realized it still had some ice cubes. Amber checked the markings on the cup, noting the ingredients: Ice, coconut milk, drizzled caramel, and macchiato.

So, it was coffee and coconut milk, after all; her favorite. Hunter even knew the brand she preferred. Amber took a nice long sip, enjoying the texture and flavor of the bitter coffee fused with caramel and coconut milk. It hit all the right spots, and Amber took her time on the second drink, leisurely savoring it with her tastebuds.

Afterward, Amber returned the note, passing it over without too much attention.

Okay, I'll give you points for that. I guess having you as a stalker isn't too tragic. You don't sound too psychotic.

Want to thank me, then have lunch with me after this afternoon.

Amber considered the options. The next class wouldn't be until 2 pm, which meant she had time to waste. A fact Hunter already knew.

What about breakfast?

That's tomorrow's schedule. I'm talking about today.

A faint smile played on her lips. She took another drink, pondering. What was he after? And did she even want to know? A lunch date didn't sound too bad, though, especially with her newfound friend. What could go wrong? Plus, by giving him what he wanted (time in his company), he should get bored and finally leave her alone.

If I agree to this, no more notes. Unless it's an emergency?

Amber observed Hunter sulking like a boy denied sweets while reading the note.

It's an emergency if I don't get a note from you in class, but alas! I will accept; 'tis also good to hear your voice!

Shaking her head at his final message and choice of words, Amber placed the note away in her binder and faced the front of the classroom. A test—to see if he would stick to his words or continue sending letters, distracting her. To her astonishment, Hunter turned into the perfect student taking notes and even raising his hands a few times to ask questions.

It was like Amber no longer existed.

Now that she was being neglected, Amber scrutinized him from the corner of her eyes, somewhat fascinated. His skills at turning on and off distractions were on par with hers if she thought about it. However, Amber didn't know which version she liked better. He was distracting when he wanted to be, but he could become the perfect student. She enjoyed discovering both sides.

While disappointed that there were no more letters, Amber was grateful for the extra breathing room. There was a time and place for everything, and while Hunter could be a distraction, she didn't come here to be distracted.

Her last thought was that she should just give Hunter what he needed. It might make her life easier. After all, he got what he needed now and finally left her alone. Right?

Amber took another sip of coffee and directed her attention to the professor.

Update Schedule: I will try to update randomly once a week. 

1