017 – BOSSLADY
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

JavaScript Basics was a very, very dull class. 

 Amber struggled to stay alert thirty minutes into it. Sitting around, learning about a programming language she had no interest in, didn’t help either. Amber understood why she needed it, but that didn’t mean she had to enjoy it. 

 Luckily, the professor for this class wasn’t as stringent as the others. In fact, this one blatantly stated that it would be in her students’ best interest to pay attention. Especially since they (or their parents) were paying for the skills and knowledge needed in their career. All in all, an excellent speech, but one Amber received constantly growing up to the point of becoming immune. 

 The lights dimmed, and Amber stifled another yawn. How was she going to survive the next semester? She eyed Hunter from the corner of her eyes and found he wasn’t even paying attention. Instead, he was coding on his laptop! 

 Amber exhaled, bending forward to rest her chin against her palm, a little disappointed. Just a tad, though. She hoped to get a note or two from her seating neighbor, but even that was out of the question. And why not? After getting everything Hunter needed from her (friend acceptance and number), it would make sense he no longer plagued her. 

 However, as she completed the thought, a piece of paper flew over and landed on her notebook. She glanced down, recognizing the masculine handwriting immediately. 

Bored? Would you like me to do something about it?

 Amber lowered her head, hiding a smile from Hunter. She didn’t want him to see how delighted the note made her. Then, quickly, quietly, she scribbled her response. 

Yes, I am bored. What are you doing to do about it?

I’ve already done something about it.

 Amber didn’t need to imagine how the words sounded coming from his lips. She heard him already, in that self-confident, charming tone of his. 

Whatever.

Only because she couldn’t think of anything else. 

I must be wearing you down if that’s the best you’ve got.

 Amber could picture that silly smile of his as she covered her own. Maybe he was, and perhaps he wasn’t; however, it was her secret to keep. 

 Soon, the professor began her history lesson on how JavaScript came to be, drilling on about the first programming language, the early scripts, and the original computer used for coding. All of it was nothing new to Amber since her parents instilled it into her while growing up. She feigned listening to the professor for some minutes before writing. 

What’s with Nathan calling me Bosslady, anyway?

 Hunter took the change in the subject quickly enough. 

I don’t know. You’ll have to ask him. He does whatever he wants.

Aren’t you Bossman?

That’s something they came up with. Not me.

 They, meaning his friends. 

 Amber hesitated before she wrote the following question and passed the paper to him.

Are there… any other… Bosslady?

 She was studying him while he read her question, not wanting to miss his reaction. Amber immediately wished she had explained herself, though, because as soon as Hunter read it, he turned to her with an unreadable expression. 

 Thank goodness for the dimmed lights because Amber’s face flushed bright pink. 

 She tore a page from her binder to draft another note. 

I mean, as in, what sort of girls interests you?

 As soon as the note touched his fingers though, Amber immediately realized he could misinterpret it. So, she yanked another page, hastily scribbling, before passing it on. Three notes now, in a row, from her.  

Ignore that last question. I mean, I was curious about your female friends. The ones I’ve met so far have been guys.

 The lights came on, and Amber lowered her head, covering her face with her arms. She wanted to curl up and disappear. 

All of those letters were horrible! The last one didn’t even make any sense because they’ve only just found each other days earlier! And it was one, not ones, as in singular, after being introduced to Nathan this afternoon! If she was going to mention friends, Amber had yet to introduce him to Brittany! 

 What was wrong with her? Usually, she’d think before speaking. In this case, before writing, but it was like her brain completely… shut down.

Amber needed to clear this misunderstanding, but… what was she supposed to say? Perhaps pretend like it never happened? And if Hunter asked, maybe laugh it off as flirting? Actually, yes! That was it! She was just teasing. Hunter should understand, considering he did it to her all the time. 

 Hunter’s shuffling intruded on her thoughts, and she raised her head to see him zipping up his briefcase, his items packed. Their eyes met as Hunter stood up, and he gave her a slight nod before easing out of the small space of the aisle to make his way out the classroom door. 

 Wait... where was he going? And he left without even answering her questions!

0