023 – OH, STARRY NIGHT
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After leaving the establishment, Amber followed the sidewalk, away from the structure towards a miniature forested park situated in the middle of the square surrounded by boisterous bars and restaurants. It was a perfect little spot to gather and within walking distance for not just the neighbors but students who often ventured here after class. It was a place Amber was familiar with as she and Brittany often came this way during freshman year to become familiar with the area.

While Brittany lived three hours away, Amber lived two hours from the campus, near Liam's all-private and expensive college. A college her soon-to-be In-Laws wanted her to also attend because the one now had been too far off. It was also the same college her In-Laws had gone to. Amber choose not to go there. She primarily picked this campus because of its technology reputation, and the fact that it was two hours away was an added bonus. It was also the same college her parents attended and where they first met and fell in love.

Amber paused momentarily on the sidewalk to consider whether she should call for a cab but quickly changed her mind. The evening was warm, and the night was still young. It would take forty minutes to get back to her apartment from where she was, and that was if she wanted to appreciate the evening breeze. If she hurried, it'd be about half the time. After the short outburst, though, she was out of steam. Every time she dealt with Liam, it took all her energy just to remain calm and composed.

Amber took a long, deep breath to soothe herself before exhaling, gazing up towards the nighttime sky. Despite being in the city, there was enough clearance among the trees and structures for her to see the stars. They were out tonight in full force, spreading across the dark sea like diamonds in the rough. The moon stayed hidden behind a veil as if acknowledging it wouldn't be able to compete against such a luminescent mural.

Feeling more energized at such a landscape above her, Amber crossed the street, shaking her head at herself. When was the last time she had made such a fuss, showed such emotion towards Liam? When was the last she'd been so…angry?

Never, because his words never held such power before. But…tonight, it did. And the only difference was, he had brought up Hunter.

Amber halted in the middle of the sidewalk near the street corner, lamenting as she glanced up at the night sky once more, fingers clutching the strings of her purse tightly.

Would Hunter believe her if he heard Liam this evening? And why was she so bothered by the fact that Hunter might? Any suspicious person could argue that Amber knew of Hunter and was idling on standby at the library for him. Maybe she even hired those girls to ambush him, planning the whole thing from start to finish. It was a reasonable explanation. One Amber couldn't disprove.

Realizing how prejudiced her thoughts had turned, Amber smacked her palm against her forehead lightly. Being so long in Liam's company was starting to affect her reasoning. What did it matter? If Hunter believed Liam over her, then obviously, something was very wrong with Hunter. Yes, he didn't know her too well, but he should know her enough that—

Her eyes drifted to the arm of the lamp post fixture above her, suddenly distracted by it because the light bulb inside it was off. As in, not switched to on.

Amber removed her palm from her forehead slowly, frowning. Without lowering her head, her eyes slid downwards, to the front, observingly, even as her hand dropped to her side.

Something peculiar was going on with all the light fixtures.

There was nothing out of the ordinary about one dead lamp head. What what was strange was the one up ahead was on, while the one further up was off. As far as her eyes could see, the lighting fixtures rotated with one turned off and the next one on. She'd never seen anything like it before and wondered what could have caused it? Construction or a test to make sure the lights were working? 

It was a good enough distraction as any, one that reminded Amber where she was, still. Time to stop musing and start walking.

Amber lowered her head, taking a step forward.

And instantly froze.

The light above her head abruptly switched on, and she found herself under its spotlight. Before she could grasp what was happening, the dead fixtures ahead of her also turned on. As if someone had flipped a switch. Gradually, one by one, Amber's eyes spring from one lamp to the other, a domino effect, each of them coming alive to light the path.

Until...in the distance...beneath the darkness of one post...the beam circled on a particular individual standing beneath.

Amber's heart skipped a couple of beats before rebounding, progressing into a frenzied tempo.

She recognized the familiar red curls down to the facial features and broad shoulders. He stood, spotlighted up ahead, hands inside the pockets of his dark trousers. A jacket slumped over the right of his shoulder—clad in a buttoned dress shirt. 

Amber was used to seeing him in t-shirts and shorts, that youthful appearance about him. This time... she couldn't help but noticed how attractive he was in formal wear. How formidable he seemed...how comfortable the clothes fit and clung, making him older than his years, more...charismatic.

Forgetting to breathe within the last few seconds, Amber greedily sucked in vast amounts of air back into her lungs. Maybe there was something about the starry night that played with people's minds?

Now that the initial shock of seeing him here, in front of her, wore off, Amber was almost giddy with excitement! Two days! He’d been gone for two days. She shouldn't be this happy, but she couldn't contain her excitement! Amber's lips curl, thoughts flying from one end to the other. How did he know where to find her? Was he stalking her for real? No doubt Adam and Nathan went crying to Hunter after she'd left with Liam earlier that afternoon, but she didn't think Hunter would show up!

The unexpected delight transformed into exasperation suddenly, and her lips straightened once more. He was gone for two days without an explanation. To just show up in front of her, again, like nothing happened?

Whatever!

Amber took one step forward, and another, and another. Their eyes never left one another, and with shadows dancing in every corner, both their expressions were indecipherable. No words were uttered as she advanced towards him one step at a time.

Until he was stood in front of her. An arms reach away.

Amber wanted to ask what he was doing here but didn't and remained where she was, waiting. To see if he would break the silence first.

He didn't.

Instead, Hunter removed his jacket, unfolded it, and quietly arranged it over her shoulders, reminding Amber of the cotton cami dress she wore with its two-inch shoulder straps. It never occurred for her to bring a jacket earlier that evening. After all, who would have guessed she'd walk out on her ride?

Now, engulfed in his scent and his warmth, it dawned on her how chilly the wind had gotten. The essence of his jacket filled her, an earthy, smoky aroma fused with soap and spring.

Of him.

Touched but still annoyed at him for disappearing for two days straight, Amber broke eye contact, shifting a couple of steps to his left, out of reach. Without another glance at the young man next to her, Amber began sauntering in the direction of her apartment.

A knowing smile spread across Hunter's lips. Without saying anything, he simply turned on his heels and followed.

Casually and quietly, with every step she took, Hunter was there. He didn't move to her side, and he didn't move to her front. Instead, Hunter lingered a few steps behind, pursuing her footprints. Every time Amber stepped under the beam of the lamp, he was engulfed in shadows. Every time she descended into the shadows, he was in the spotlight. And no matter who was where Hunter remained. Always behind her.

Throat tight, heart hammering, Amber kept her pace and never once looked back. She didn't have to. Amber could feel his eyes studying her, peering right into her heart, and it took all of her strength to make sure her steps didn't falter. This was the part where the girl always tripped, after all, at least in the dramas!

More than once, she wanted to turn around and inform him she wouldn't be sharing her notes for missing all those classes. No way was she going to make it easy for him. He was going to have to figure out what he missed without her help!

After mustering enough courage, however, Amber still didn't turn around.

Across the street, on the other end of the sidewalk, a couple sat, laughing, and holding hands, enjoying each other's company. They paused to observe Amber before their eyes fell onto Hunter. The female opened her mouth, about to shout across the street at Amber. She never got the chance, though, because her male counterpart encased her lips with his own, and Amber promptly averted her gaze at the intimate exhibition.

With Hunter following behind her, Amber was finally able to relax, taking in and enjoying the moment that would soon come to an end. A comfortable, serene silence emerged between them.

Were night strolls always this peaceful, this delightful?  

Despite all the effort it took to keep one leg out in front of the other, Amber still found a moment to admire the lovely city hues, the mild brushes of the wind as it teased her face. The sound of music drifted to her ears, too far to pinpoint. An unrecognizable melody, soft, lazy, and dreamy. A perfect background piece to complete the evening.

The trip led them to the outskirts of town, passing through the liveliest section of the city, heading east to where Amber's apartment stood. After that, the campus was within walking distance, centered on forest land, some of which were still protected today by the government.

As much as she wanted to continue this endeavor with the person behind her, Amber eventually spotted the familiar corner of her neighborhood. As Amber got closer, she noticed two male figures next to the street, working on the electrical box. One was standing up, watching, and providing guidance, while the other was crouched down, tinkering inside the box.

Once she got close enough, she was able to catch bits and pieces of their conversations.

"Find anything?"

"No," came the muffled response. "Nuthin' wrong with the circuits or switches. Nada!"

"Then why did half of them turn on and off like that? I tell you, there must be some ghost hanging around playing with us. They exist, and this is probably a message."

"It was probably just a hiccup in the system. I keep telling you there ain't no such thing as ghosts…."

The last of their conversation floated away as Amber moved past them and towards her apartment building. There was probably a reasonable explanation for it, and Amber was pretty sure the reason was due to the silent young man behind her, but she said nothing, and soon the two technicians drifted out of sight.

Four minutes later, she stopped outside the steps of her building, listening as Hunter's footsteps also pause behind her. With her heart pounding vehemently against her chest, Amber considered her options. Should she just keep walking or turn around and talk to him? Or should she just bid him good night?

Before she could come to a decision, she heard the rustling of his clothes, then Hunter's footsteps began to retreat.

In the opposite direction.

"Wait!" Amber whirled around before she could stop herself and came face to face with his back.

Hunter stopped and turned around slowly. Their eyes met once more, but with half his face covered in shadows, Amber couldn't tell what he was thinking. He was smiling at her, though, that secretive, knowing grin of his as if he knew something she didn't.

"Where are you going?" Amber asked because she couldn't come up with anything better.

He raised a questioning brow. "I'm headed back now that you're home safely."

To where…? Amber wanted to say but didn't. "What were you doing—back there—out here?"

His smile grew wider. "Now, you want to talk?"

Amber flushed, unable to come up with a proper response. Luckily, it was too dark for him to see how much color crept up her cheeks.

"It's late, and I still have to get back to my place…" he paused, thinking, before continuing in a much quieter, more teasing voice. "If you let me come up and spend the night, we can talk all you want." It wasn’t even a question, more like a statement.

This time Amber's thoughts turned in a completely different direction. If she agreed with his request, they might be doing more than just talking. She felt her face heat even more. "You're right. It's late. Have a good night!  I'll see you tomorrow!"

Hastily Amber made her retreat, spinning around to take the steps two at a time without looking back.

This has got to be one of my favorite chapters. I wanted to actually write an entire chapter with no dialogue... and I almost did, but then, where was the fun in that? I think Hunter was perfectly satisfied with the quiet evening, but no, Amber had to go and ruin it. Ah wells :)

1