Chapter 32: Magic Unlocked.
872 3 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 32: Magic Unlocked.

Kein's POV

"Rose, don't let go okay?"

"M-Mn!"

This was really a horrible time for a date.

I mean- hang out to see the tree because there's a giant ant that can bite our ass in half the moment it wants to.

I grit my teeth, feeling tired with all the running.

We decided to hide in an empty stall. I covered us with an old ragged cloth for vegetables hopefully taking off the scent.

I've seen at least five huge ants that overtook the city.

Four of them were all red, while the other one was glowing orange. "Well that's not good..." I muttered worriedly.

Rose on the other hand was really frightened. Her body kept shaking, her hands still intertwined with me she really didn't let go. "A-Are we going to be okay?"

She looks up to meet my gaze, eyes flushed with tears. My heart felt horrible the moment her tears landed onto my fingers. I patted her back softly a few times, "We'll be fine, Rose. I'll keep you safe. It's fine I'm here."

I gave a bitter smile because I'm actually powerless as hell. I at least have to give her words of comfort, "Where are the guards around here? Damn. I thought there were supposed to be royal knights or something."

Rose held onto me really close and that really made me leap out for a bit, "I hate ants. I hate ants. Ants are scary."

"R-Really?" I couldn't reply straight because she was really close.

"I-I hate bugs in general." (Rose)

"You're going to love frogs after this then because they eat bugs-"

"But frogs are slimy too-" (Rose)

I really didn't want to argue with her about why frogs are obviously the cutest thing in the universe.

I don't want us to die today just because we were arguing about frogs. I placed a hand on her mouth, "Rose we'll have this conversation next time okay? We have to stay quiet."

Rose rolls her eyes and nods understanding the predicament we were in.

Her face flushed a little when I quickly realized how close we were and it made me panic. I took my hand back away awkwardly, giving her a half baked apology. "S-Sorry."

Rose holds her arms together and looks away from me, "It's fine."

Okay I have two mixed feelings on this.

One, I actually want to see the magic monsters thing outside because I have never seen one yet.

Two, I cannot focus when Rose and I are literally this close.

"So why do you think there's suddenly magic monsters on the run in the capital?" I ask Rose who sighs. "The defense of the kingdom is not that good when it comes to things that can fly." she answers.

Wait hold up. Let me just repeat that. "Those things can fly?!" I whispered to her in shock.

I mean there are ants that can fly but it looked like they didn't have any wings on their back.

"Yes they can, only for a short period of time because they use magic to manifest their wings and usually it's their small workers that fly over here. Something must've angered the queen to have sent the giant workers over..." (Rose)

"That or they're close to hibernating season."

Imagine dying because a huge ant killed you because they wanted you for lunch. "How do you even kill these things?"

"You weren't taught about these- oh right I just um... remembered." (Rose)

It's okay Rose I literally had no parents to teach me the important things to know in this world other than Lenard. The only problem is I might've skipped this part with him. "Alright, if I remember correctly at my Magic Beast Class some special monsters would have a core inside their body where their Mana is stored."

"Usually it's located at their chest, their stomach, and head. It can even be at their tail." (Rose)

I guess we're both sitting peacefully under the covers while I get some free lessons about magic beasts.

"Ah right I always forget how mangas and novels have those." I whispered to myself low enough so that Rose couldn't hear.

A magic core inside of them. "You get those cores as drops when you kill them right?"

"Yes but sometimes you actually need to destroy it first before you can kill them. Or else they'll regenerate. It's also the reason why some of them can use magic." (Rose)

"Ohhh I get it."

I'm definitely in an isekai world. Rose smiles at me, "I could teach you more about it if you'd like sometime."

"Please, that would really help." I told her upon the realization of something.

Rose is a good teacher.

I was about to ask her more about the ants but there was a loud horn that played in the background.

It was so loud and ear deafening. Rose and I had to cover our eyes, gritting our teeth. "What the hell was that?!"

I leaned through the covers and saw the most awesome thing. There were horses flying in the air with people in armor as they headed straight for the ants.

"ROSE! THERE'S HORSES WITH WINGS!" I pointed at the figures in the sky.

"It's the Pegasus Battalion." (Rose) muttered with a serious look on her face.

"You know what they are?" I asked her excitedly because holy shit these things were just a myth in my old world.

"Of course, I had to study the military because of my status- ah I mean- because they're really popular with the kids back at church- wanting to be a royal knight and all." (Rose) explained as we both looked at the horizon where there were countless knights with pointed swords slashing the thick skins of the ants.

"Hold your position! Arrow formation!"

I wish I had popcorn.

I know that we should run for safety but you know my feet are stuck to the ground.

They looked so cool!

"Yes captain!"

The Pegasus horses flew into a literal arrow while all of them channeled their own Mana together creating a literal arrow but with all of the whole Battalion together. "Charge!"

I couldn't explain it in words to what I saw. I watched as dozens of knight's pierced through the tough skin of the huge ant beast, letting out a terrifying scream. The ant noticed the knights and began breathing fire everywhere.

"Water magicians counter!"

I saw some of the riders moving in another direction making a huge blue magic circle. There was water coming down fast to extinguish the fire as they kept chanting words I couldn't hear much from this distance. "Wow..." (Rose)

I looked at Rose who was also admiring the view. We watched them beat the crap out of those ants in silence because we were too stunned to move or run or to even say anything.

The huge ant let out another screeching sound walking towards our direction.

"Hey you there! The two of you move, it's not safe!" the captain of the battalion shouted as I held Rose's hands to run but it was too late.

I could see the ant trying to get to us, it was forming fire inside of its mouth as we tried outrunning it. You know what, I'll be glad for someone to show up and save us by now!

"Umm Kein!" (Rose)

I grit my teeth in worry, I could hear the ant's footsteps barging into every house it steps on. "Krit! Krit! Krit!" it saw us and completely went crazy releasing the fire that was in its mouth having an orange magic circle around it.

"Oh hell." I muttered, stopping for a moment realizing that this might be my final last moments. I tried remembering all the good things that happened to me.

I have to apologize to Lenard that I might not be able to return the book that I lent him.

I have to apologize to the first princess because I might not be able to reply to her letters. I have to apologize to Vincent because I can't be there to support him anymore.

All my other friends that I made along the way.

Wait, why am I being so dramatic?

Oh no I'm not going down like this. I've been given a second chance and I'm thinking of the final moments of my death? I have to do something!

I closed my eyes feeling the seconds fleeting.

Until I felt someone's presence within me.

All of the hair on my body stood up, feeling suddenly cod even though there was a huge ball of fire coming towards me. "Chant... Cancel spell..."

I don't know why or where this voice even came from inside my head.... but my body just moved on its own.

I opened my eyes, raised my hands and yelled, "[Cancel]!"

A black magic circle appeared, the fire that was coming towards us suddenly vanished out of thin air. I could hear the ant screeching its eyes red with madness. "D-Did I just do that-" I looked at my hands, not believing that I just did that.

The ant looked at me in confusion before the knights got it fighting with them again.

Wait, where's Rose?

"Rose are you-"

I was so distracted by the voice inside my head that I didn't realize she was just hugging me from behind burying her head deep into my back. Oh um... "R-Rose it's okay now!" I told her but she refused to let go. "Bugs are scary. Bugs are scary. Bugs are scary!"

I sighed, cupping her cheek, "Come on, let's go."

The knights have killed the magic beast in a short amount of time.

One Pegasus knight came down to meet us, the wing's flapping as it came down my hair was practically poking my eyes out. Rose had to hold her own shawl for it to not fly.

"Kein! Are you alright?"

Wait for that voice. I recognize that voice! The knight held the reins of his horse as he ran down to meet me. He took off his helmet and worriedly inspected me and Rose. "Why are you here? I thought it was your day off-"

"Wait! Baron Hills?! You have a flying horse?!"

I was so excited I had to run up the Pegasus forgetting about what just happened. "Can I pet it-"

"Yes, but are you alright? You had me quite frightened there. I saw what happened." (Baron Hills) holds my shoulder. "We might need to talk in private after this." he told me seriously and I tilt my head in confusion.

Right... I think I just did magic for the first time. It wasn't elemental or anything I've ever read about. What was it?

I was so busy thinking about it I didn't notice Rose standing close to me taking my arm making me flustered. She hugged me before... "Um what's wrong?"

"Wait Kein... your arm has a scratch over it." she pointed at my elbow that had a small wound.

"With all the commotion going on I didn't notice it. It's okay, it'll heal on its own." I told Rose but I was appreciative that she was worried about me at least.

"No, I can heal it. Here let me just-" she holds my arm out gently, her soft hands pressing over my wound, "[Heal]." she chanted a faint glowing light under her hands.

Baron Hills watches in surprise, "You're one of the light maidens. Thank you for healing Kein." he mutters and I just scratched my head awkwardly. I'm not used to many people worrying about me so this is a bit new.

"It should be done by now-" she takes off her hands but she stops looking at me like I did something wrong. "Kein- why is it- not healing?"

"Wait what?" I looked over the wound again and realized she was right. "It didn't heal? Maybe your magic didn't work?" I asked but she shakes her head, eyes filled with worry.

"N-No my light magic should work. Look!" (Rose) grabs over Baron Hill's hand that had a small bruise and chants [Heal]. It was gone completely.

"Why... so... I'm confused." I held my temples in frustration not getting the whole situation. Why is it not working? Didn’t the first princess heal my hand before?

Baron Hills looks around with his guard up whispering to both of Rose and I.

"Let's not talk here. Let me take you two to somewhere safer."

Baron Hills accompanied us as the other knights cleaned up the mess, digging the magic cores that were inside the beast's body.

I thought to myself.

Magic no longer works on me.

And I can... disable magic?

What does it mean?

44