Chapter 2: One of us and I’m broke.
3.1k 7 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: One of us and I'm broke

Kein's POV

After a few weeks of living here.

I got accustomed to the name Kein and I'm pretty much getting used to it.

I also tested my other muscle memory's to just see how I react.

The other servants usually ignore me, avoid me, and talk behind my back but I guess I'm even lucky enough that I've been given a closet to sleep in.

Though I both feel like Cinderella and Harry Potter combined. Just no pumpkin and no Voldemort coming for me here. I don't think I'll have a fairy godmother to help me either.

I tried asking Lenard for a book that could help me know more about this world. I know I've read my diary and the words there are definitely different from English or any kind of earth language.

Then again this is another world it's to be expected.

Magic does exist here.

Lenard told me he can't be seen much with me but he'll try. Which I'm honestly pretty grateful he's trying. He's really a good person and I'm glad that I have him despite being in this horrible household.

Lucas has been and is still being a pain in the ass whenever I do my chores. Today is not any different.

I sighed at the scene where there were mud prints over the floor. I was mopping the floor a few hours ago but now he gave me so much more work to do.

That rascal I tell you.

I went ahead and refilled my bucket of water before coming back and cleaning this mess. The other maids and servants looked at me pitifully as they stared. I'm pretty sure they're also talking behind my back but this is fine.

I frowned at the sight of the prints never-ending. While I was mopping, looking at the ground, I found a pair of boots blocking my way.

I looked up to see a charming young boy who was staring at me, I managed to take a quick glance at his clothes looking really expensive, meaning he's probably an important guest or someone important.

"Um... pardon me. You're blocking the way." I told him. He moved away as the others were shocked, but I just minded my own business and continued to mop. "Thank you."

The guards with him glared at me most likely for asking him to move?! Come on please let me clean- if I don't make this place clean to the point you're seeing your reflection on the floor they won't give me anything to eat!

They went away and I breathed a sigh of relief. "Man, that was too close for comfort."

I continued moping some more.

I wiped the sweat off my forehead until I saw Lenard not too far away as we both headed into our secret meeting spot in the garden.

There were a lot of different kinds of beautiful flowers, it was really peaceful and quiet and quite well taken care of. Heck, there was even a fountain in the middle of it.

"Hey, Lenard!" I waved at him happily walking towards him and he smiled.

"Kein!" He runs towards me carrying something behind his back.

"How have you been Lenard?" I ask him while I put the mop away.

We sat down on a nearby bench as he gave me an excited smile as he took out the thing he was hiding behind his back and showed it in front of me. "I have a book!"

"Yep. That is indeed a book." I looked at the book he was proudly holding and he carefully gave it to me with lots of enthusiasm. "I want you to read it! The story is about-"

No! Not the spoilers!

Immediately, I started flipping through the pages and reading everything at fast speed. Lucas looks at me baffled for a few minutes before he knows it. I read the whole book.

Hmm... it's actually a pretty good book. Good plot, good story, good character setting, and hey it might as well be a bestseller back on earth.

We sat there for a few minutes before I finally finished the thin book.

"Thanks, here you go. I finished it." I told him as I gave it back into his arms.

"Eh?" (Lenard) looks at the book. "Really? It took me two days to finish reading the whole thing!" He looks at me not believing me.

"It was only seventy-pages at most Lenard-" I tried to reason with him but he sounded really determined to prove that I was wrong and I just skimmed the book.

"Okay what's the main character's name?" (Lenard) asks the tone of a strict interviewer asking questions.

"Ophelia." I answered him.

"Okay, who's Ophelia?"

"The main character of the book thought it was this prince who was protecting her but he was actually her enemy. Then they get married yada yada. Honestly, the real enemy is actually her own family but this book is quite dark with all the torture and stuff." I told him.

"Okay but what about—"

He continued to quiz me about the book while I mopped around the mansion. At least I had someone to talk to while I was working, Lenard's company was nice anyways. After I got all of his dozen questions right and in perfect detail.

He looked at the book and then at me and then at the book and then at me. Completely wide-eyed.

It was like that for a few seconds. "T-That is so cool!"

It's good to know that this body can read and knows complex words while some I still need to research. I still kept my perfect memory from my past life which I was grateful for.

Well, the name is the same as William Shakespeare's works in Hamlet but I guess there is another version here with another version.

"It's nothing really," I replied, shrugging. As a professor back on earth I've had way more research papers with messy methodologies to read besides it was only seventy pages.

"What do you mean nothing?! You can read and memorize its contents like a sponge!" (Lenard) enthusiastically nudged my side as I laughed.

Lenard is actually fun once he gets out of his shell. It means we're slowly getting along with the help of novels.

He raises his glasses and looks at me suddenly, expression changing from happy to sad, "I-I wish I had that talent. My mother favors Lucas in everything I don't know if I'm even needed in the picture. Father was always busy with his work so he didn't really pay attention to me either."

His shoulders slump as he clenches the book tightly. "I-I wish... never mind. Do you want another book? I can get it for you!"

Oh Lenard you sweet thing- how long has it been since... you've felt loved by your family? Is this why you protected me? So you could form our family connection...

"Listen here,Lenard!" I told him, my voice turning a little strict. I know Lenard has really bad parents- I'm not sure if they could change... but he could realize some other forms of relationship could be stronger than family.

"Y-Yes?" (Lenard) snaps out of his pitiful trance and stares at me expectantly.

"You don't need their attention to live your life, okay? To me, a real family is the one that really cares for you. If they don't give a damn then they are not family." I told him snorting as I remember my horrible family before I was transmigrated. Such horrible people.

He smiles a little after that and relaxes. "A-Are you family?" (Lenard) asks me somehow in a desperate tone. I sigh inside, not wanting to hurt this sweet boy.

I nod. "Family sticks together and I'm stuck with you." I told him and he finally relaxed.

He laughs a little as our conversation becomes light after that.

"Oh yeah, I saw some important kid who's a little older than us around here. What's that about, he has guards and everything." I was curious at one point because if he's important then I ought to know.

"Oh, him? He's the son of the Duke of Wolford house and the future fiancé of the princess... but it's only rumors." (Lenard) blushed while he said these words.

"Oh? A princess huh? You like her?" I gave him a grin as he shook his head fast. I can see four heads in a blur.

"N-No! It's not her."

My grin became even wider this time. Oh my? This little bean is crushing on whoever fancy-ass shoes I saw before? Now, this is interesting. "Oh? Then is it the princess' fiancé? Trust me I can keep a secret."

"..." (Lenard) was now silent so you know what that means?! It means yes!

"Aw, you little rascal! You have a crush on someone!" I yelled and he quickly covered my mouth before I laughed so hard I almost choked.

"H-Hey! Don't make fun of me! I-I just think he's cute! It's not like I'm going to make a move or anything!" (Lenard) shoves me right over the shoulder as I continue to laugh.

"B-Besides we're both guys! Please keep this a secret! If anyone knows I-I like guys. Mother will kill me!" (Lenard)

I had to hold my stomach down because of how cute he's being right now. "I'm like you don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

Lenard's eyes went wide, the tip of his ears turning red. "R-Really? We're the same?"

It's really no problem. I already found out I was well lesbian the moment I had a crush on that cute girl back in middle school. Ah, the memories, too bad I became too busy to have any girlfriends and just decided to adopt a kid.

I nod at him smiling, "Yep. If you want to, I can help you get his attention and spend some time with him."

"N-No. I-I would just be a bother." (Lenard) looks away, face flushed red. Well, if he's not ready then maybe next time I'll play cupid and get these two some feelings for each other.

"I was just kidding with you. Next time definitely! I couldn't get a good look at him. Why do you even like him, by the way? What's his name?" I asked him while I felt my butt getting numb from sitting. I decided to stand up and walk.

Lenard stands up and walks by my side. "H-His name is... Vincent von Wolford."

He smiles still red at the thought of thinking what he likes about this Vincent person, "W-Well... he's kind. Lucas made fun of me one time and Vincent defended me. I think I liked him and I couldn't stop thinking of him after that."

Oh? If he defended Lenard then surely he's not a bad kid. I approve. "Hehhh. Did he sweep you off his feet too?"

I teased him. "N-No! S-Shut up!" (Lenard) shoved me one last time and I conceded.

"Pfft. I'll stop with the teasing, Lenard. Help me get wood for fire?" I ask him, remembering I still have some chores left to do.

If I don't do them I'm really afraid Aunt Haren will not feed me and literally lock me inside the closet for the night. "L-Lead the way!"

I know making him help is a problem but we gotta knuckle some discipline in this kid. I don't want him to not taste hard work and labor. I would be an irresponsible guardian! But really I just need the help for now.

After getting some wood.

Apparently, other servants saw us getting them together and were reported, and guess who's being punished?

"Do you know what you did wrong?" (Head Maid)

"No... I'm not sure what I did wrong."

"I will ask you again. What did you do wrong?" (Head Maid)

"I really don't know-?"

"I had enough."

*Smack— Smack—*

It was the sound of a thin stick hitting through my skin. I was forced to stand on a chair and pull up my pants showing my legs. I didn't cry or anything, it just stings since this body has a low tolerance for pain.

"I can't believe you made Lord Lenard do something like carrying wood! It's unheard of! A noble is not allowed to do such things!" (Head Maid) yells at me as I grew tired of this farce.

After the punishment, I was forced to go into the closet, aka my room.

I groaned at the sight of my bruises and the marks. I grabbed the last of my ointment on the stash and began applying them. After applying the ointment on the bruise marks I realized I was running out of them- "Oh no."

I turned to grab my purse that was also near empty- "This is a problem."

I should've expected this.

I need money.

I'm not blessed to be eighteen years old here, the adult age in this world so I can't take any hard labor work for part-time.

I could ask Lenard to borrow some? But no Aunt Haren might find out... " I have to think of a way and fast. I can't just live like this!"

92