Chapter 3: How to make money in another world?
2.5k 9 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: How to make money in another world?

 

Kein's POV

Okay. This is a problem.

I know I have money but I also know it's not enough.

I grit my teeth as I tossed and turned inside the closet in my cramped bed.

"Money." I scoff. Financial problems always follow me right after.

"Of course, I need to plan things if there's an emergency. What if I get injured? Speaking of which, it's sad here that I need to get into at least a public academy and graduate. Education is important."

I muttered. "I haven't seen or thought of anything that would help me in the past hour. The only skill I have now is my proof editing and writing skills."

To which I don't know if anyone would hire a ten-year-old for anything. Meaning I'm pretty much useless right now. "This is hard."

I bit the tip of my thumb. I might need someone to talk to more about it strategically. I'm not getting paid in this place but I have to accept right now, this place where the spawns of Satan lives is safer than the streets.

At least Lenard is a nice person to talk to. I knew there was a reason as to why I definitely liked him.

I sigh, tired as my shoulder tense from all the thinking. I move to take a glance at my legs that have red marks all over from all that punishment.

"If this was earth, I would sue for child abuse."

The maids here are merciless and I'm running out of healing ointments. I haven't been to the city as well... So I don't know what to expect. I should talk to Lenard about this.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.

"You want to make money?" (Lenard) sat with me in our secret spot, the garden. Still beautiful as ever, I was done pruning the leaves and watering the flowers so I deserve to take a break.

Speaking of which I haven't seen Lucas anywhere which I'm pretty thankful for or else I might've thought of his face as a nice punching bag.

"Yeah, you do know I can't keep staying here forever. I want to move when I turn fifteen." I took a bite of the juicy apple he snuck for me.

The food portions they give is okay but it's not enough for my stomach since I work really hard.

"Umm... I don't know how you can make money other than applying to be an adventurer." (Lenard)

"Really? You can be an adventurer here?" I ask leaning in more closely of the thrill of an adventurer! Right, I could be one when I turn fifteen! I'll be old enough to support myself and such!

Lenard nods and explains to me in full detail, "There's an adventurer guild in the city. Just an hour walk away from here. You'll need to register but it's an easy process to do! They don't hire ten year olds though so maybe wait till you're fifteen?"

I groaned at the problem of age but I need money as soon as possible or else I'll have marks all over my body. It's already a miracle that some minor ones healed in only a matter of days. "I can't wait for that long. I'm really an impatient person, and I need money to buy things that I need."

Lenard furrows his brows in deep thought, "Are you good at anything? Like sewing?"

I know that I'm a girl but sewing is not my forte. My hands are really shit on that after I attempted at making a scarf for my kid, it was horrible. "Not sewing. I mean, I do know how to write, proofread, and... well paint. If possible painting is a last resort to do."

Lenard 's beams at me, "Y-You're so cool!"

I laugh at the flattery, if only you've seen my daughter. That girl has practically mastered almost anything. Other than taking care of her plants, I always had to water them.

I really... miss her dearly.

I felt Lenard hold me by the shoulder looking all worried for me, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine- just thinking what in the world should I do now?" I sigh. All the memories of the past got me all nostalgic.

"First, it will be alright so lift up your mood Kein. Second, I don't think you can do anything with writing right now that's the same as proofreading because you're still young." (Lenard) holds down his chin glasses simply resting adorably on his nose as he thinks.

"So we're going to use my last resort, painting?" I told him my tone was worried.

Lenard nods, "The kingdom is really fond of art and sculptures but do you have any materials? Or brushes?"

I shook my head for no. "No. I don't have any. Besides, I haven't painted in a long time. I've almost forgotten what it feels like to hold a brush."

I finished my apple and threw the remains in a nearby leaf pile that was to be incinerated later.

Lenard stands up smiling as he looks at me, his hands fidgeting, "I-I can get it for you."

He says in a whisper I barely even heard it. "Is it okay??? Won't Aunt Haren find out?"

Lenard shakes his head, "I-I ask for anything she usually gives me and then forgets about it. Anything to get me off her back I think..."

I frown. Lenard really has suffered a lot, the lack of affection in a family is really a problem. I have to do something, "Hey, if you're willing to get me the brush and paints. The least I could do is paint a portrait of you."

A smile spread across his face. "Thank you. I-I must go then and order some."

I nodded and we both went our different ways. I decided to water the garden some more, the flowers blooming beautifully in this season. Some were different from Earth's flowers but I recognized some others here.

It gave me a sense of comfort that perhaps a part of home is still here.

.-.-.-.-.-.

A few days have passed. He got me the things I needed and hell they were expensive looking. I'm not sure if I can pay him back properly but I'll try.

"Lenard. Seriously thanks for this. I just hope it's not looking like I'm milking you or anything?" I told him.

"Milking?" (Lenard) tilts his head in confusion. Right, I really need to work on my wordings.

"Like taking advantage of you." I explained. Taking in the brushes in my hand as I looked over the dozens of high quality gouache paint at the side. I can smell its faint scent, completely relaxing my body. It's definitely been a while since I've painted anything.

"You even got me an easel! You're too kind." I hugged the heck out of him. He's too pure for this family.

Lucas has been bullying me these past days and I wanted to punch him every time. Bad news is I'll get kicked out if I do any of that.

Lenard stutters and blushes out of flattery, "We are family. It is nice for someone to finally see me as one."

I gave him a pat on the back and thumbs up. I'll help you with that crush of yours as a side payment. All the way, I'll go get his ass for you. Lenard anything for you! "I got you. Now I need to get back my art side. Want to pose for me out right on the bench?"

He nods and does what he's told. He sits up on the bench, shoulders stiff and nervous. I grab the easel and set it up, putting a blank canvas Lenard got for me.

I took a deep breath as I looked over into my hands that grasped on tightly on the brush. I dipped the brush on the paint and began working on my strokes.

Feeling the light tone of color, focusing on the expression, what I see in Lenard.

I feel that he's hiding a lot of emotions. Always being left out there's been a lot of obstacles and hardships in his life.

I continued to paint, every stroke having more meaning as I felt my eyes being pent up with tears. Lenard looks at me worried, "A-Are you alright?"

I nod smiling in reassurance, "Yes, don't mind me. This happens every time I paint."

I continue, focusing on his figure. I feel it. I feel his sadness and it's a lot, so much I'm getting teary-eyed.

The reason why I wanted painting as my resort is because the emotions can be too much or overwhelming every time I make art. I can feel more than I should. I see things others can't.

I grit my teeth, almost done with the painting as my clothes are now tainted with paint, my hair a little disheveled as I kept painting for what felt like hours. Thankfully I already did all my chores so I won't get in trouble but I hope Lenard doesn't have anything to do.

"Finally." I muttered, sighing in satisfaction as I wiped off the sweat on my forehead.

Lenard's body relaxes finally knowing that it's finally done as he stretches from the bench. He stands up and gets behind me to take a look at my work.

"T-This is..." He reaches for the canvas that still had wet paint.

I stopped his hands before he could touch anything, "The paint still isn't dry but after it does you can keep it."

"I-I'm sorry I was overwhelmed." Lenard smiles, "T-This is really magnificent work! I wasn't a fan of paintings before but somehow... This speaks to me."

He almost reaches for it again but stops, "I-It's like it's telling me something important but I don't know what."

This is the reason why I don't paint often. It makes people obsess over the painting. I've only made a few works and it already caused chaos back on earth.

"Well no worries. You can have this one as thanks for the paint and brushes and the easel." I told him as I looked over my work.

It was Lenard sitting over the bench, the colors vibrant but still gives off the feeling that something is missing. Incomplete, just like him. The colors of the garden overshadow the hidden despair of Lenard's eyes. I know for a fact that people who've had deep feelings of loneliness can grasp the meaning behind this work.

Lenard nudges my sides, "Does this painting have a name?"

Ah. A name... I bit my thumb as I tried to think of a fitting name for a fine work. "Uh, I guess [Rose Garden] is nice."

Lenard laughs, "I'm guessing you are good at making but bad at naming."

I sigh, "How ever did you figure me out?" I told him dramatically, letting out a gasp as I put my hand on my mouth acting to be exposed.

"With how we've grown close I think I can expect that of you, Kein!" (Lenard) replies with the unfamiliar name he called me, now I don't mind it at all.

I smile at the sound of my new name. Kein doesn't sound as bad now. "Right back at you, Lenard."

I'll try to paint as many works as I can. It won't have much deep a meaning as Lenard's painting though. "I think I'm done for the day."

I told Lenard as I noticed the day is already ending. I finished the sunrise painting, completely immaculate giving me a sense of security for a new day.

Lenard grabs his canvas, paint already dried. "W-What if mother sees this?"

I shrug, "You ordered the paint and stuff. Just tell em you made it."

Lenard's voice became a little more panicked. "I-I'm in it! Mother is surely not dumb enough to know I can't pose and paint myself all at the same time!"

I laugh, pretty sure Aunt Haren is actually dumb enough for that. "Relax yourself, Lenard. How about you hide it for now. If she ever sees it, tell her the painting supplies you ordered were for a friend and as thanks they gave that for you."

Lenard nods, "I-I don't have any friends but I think that's the best logical excuse we have."

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. "Alright, thank you, Lenard for this. You're too kind for this world."

"Um, thank you?"

I smiled as I carried over the canvas and decided I'll hide them somewhere around the garden for now.

There's actually a convenient abandoned shed not too far. Nobody uses it, which is perfect! I have to fix the roof though because of the water leaks but it's not the rainy season so I won't have to worry about rain for now.

I store all my paints, canvases, and easels carefully. I wiped the dust off all that I could and then closed the door of the shed. Lenard already left for dinner as I just got inside the kitchen to help the other maids peel potatoes.

I'll have to go to the city next and find a way to sell my paintings.

85