Chapter 20: Spell Jousting.
1.4k 3 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20: Spell Jousting.

Kein's POV

 

"Can I come with you?! Spell Jousting, what's that?"

I sat on the opposite side of the table as Vincent looked relaxed even though he was being bombarded by my thousand questions. "So tell me is this spell jousting by its name where people have lances, stabs each other, and throws each other off on their horses?"

Please tell me it is what I think it is! Vincent holds his knife and fork elegantly as he begins to cut his steak placed by Nigel the hot butler from before, "You're quite close. It's to earn points, following the rules and especially not earning any penalties." (Lord Vincent)

"Oh..." I replied as I grabbed my own utensils. "So can I tag along? Is it okay? I have a lot more time to finish working on your family portrait so I can come along right?"

I mean how can I pass up seeing horses up close? And knights with lances trying to throw each other off?

Please, I would be an utter fool to try and pass that up. He eyed me for a moment before giving in, nodding. "Alright, I suppose your clothing at the present is already suitable if we would want to join my father. There are women who joined the ranks of knighthood; perhaps we could see them in action as well." (Lord Vincent)

"Alright! So when are we going?" I asked to take a cut of my juicy steak, the aroma so fragrant my mouth couldn't help but moan a little at the luxurious taste of nobility food. Definitely better than the scraps that they give me at Aunt Haren's care. Ugh, I wanna stay here forever!

I took another bite as I accidentally burped.

"We leave after we eat. Lady Kein, manners at the table. At least say pardon me."

"Ah right." I scratch the back of my neck awkwardly, "Ahem pardon me. The food was too good, definitely better than what I have back at home."

I recall back at the food they gave me. The head maid who punished me before gave me soggy bread, and a soup bowl that wasn't even warm it was cold. Another one was I found a bug in one of the food they gave me and that made me traumatized. "It's usually why I store some of the foods that have a long shelf life in my [Storage Ring] like beef jerky, or dried nuts. or bottled wasp honey."

I saw Vincent frown clenching his fists as he stopped eating momentarily before slowly turning his gaze towards me, "And you just took it? You didn't tell Lenard about it? The mistreatment of the staff towards you?" (Lord Vincent) looked mad and it scared me.

"Lenard. He did his best, he told the staff to leave me alone but since they have Aunt Haren's order- well at this point I should stop calling her Aunt and just Countess Haren. They wouldn't stop." I remember the burn mark at my back, my wrist, and my hip.

The remains of the fire magic that Madelyn, the maid who harassed me gave me a permanent burn mark even if Rose aided me by putting some burn healing ointment on the burn at my back.

Princess Cecilia who I visited due to me being persistent on wanting to paint her myself managed to completely heal my wrist leaving no marks.

I was thankful for these two, I should repay them again somehow. "Honestly, I'm glad even Lenard would try to stand up to his mother for a mere cousin that just came into his life for a few months compared to a mother who raised him for years already."

Lord Vincent listened carefully, taking in my words, "I have heard rumors but it seems the family having discord among themselves is true."

He took a napkin that was near his side as he dabbled his cheek and hands for any remains. I wasn't finished with my food, damn I have to eat faster. "Nom nom."

"Lady Kein, I admire your spirit too... seemingly being carefree about it. As you've said before, you are a commoner having no power, no way of obtaining justice. Monarchy rules this kingdom so I see your difficulty. It is a travesty indeed." (Lord Vincent)

"Hey, aren't you part of the monarchy? Don't tell me you don't agree with it?" I asked to swallow the steak after finished with my meal.

Vincent looks at me before looking around as if he was making sure no one can hear us, right at the price of nobility they sacrifice privacy. "Perhaps later. I do not wish to speak of such sensitive matters where someone could easily hear us." 

I nod, realizing my fault. The world of nobles is difficult on their own as well. "So we're done with the food which was amazing by the way. Compliments to the chef, Nigel."

Nigel takes our now empty plates as he gave me one of his selling points. The ikemen smile, "I shall take word of your praise to the chef. He will surely be happy." (Nigel)

"Thank you!" I told him as I hurriedly got off of my seat. I can't believe I'll be seeing people fight each other! In a sporty way!

Vincent does the same, "Please prepare my carriage. We'll be off to visit father at the open public stadium today."

"For the Jousting competition my lord?" (Nigel)

"Yes, my mother should already be there. After all, she wouldn't miss father's part in the jousting competition. He is the head general of the Royal Knights after all." (Lord Vincent)

"It will be prepared shortly, my lord."

Nigel smiles once again as I overheard everything. "Your mom will be there too? Well after knowing your dad will be competing I'm guessing probably for fun there, she would be sure to cheer him on."

Vincent laughs faintly, "Mother will be cheering in her heart. Now let's away."

"Yeah! I can't wait to see people falling off!"

Really, I can't wait for some excitement around here.

We waited as Nigel really did prepare the carriage a few minutes later as he opened the door for me. Ah what a gentleman. The butlers in this world sure know how to make a girl feel special. "My lord, I shall be your guard for the day. We shall depart to the capital stadium then it will merely take a few hours' ride from here." (Nigel)

Vincent nods, "We'll be in your care, Nigel."

Vincent enters inside the carriage with me as I curiously look over the handsome butler again curious. I heard everything-

Nigel can be a bodyguard? "Butlers can be a bodyguard?" I ask Vincent who amusingly turned his gaze into the scenery displayed in his window.

"Nigel. Is an exception. He is more than what he seems under all that get up." (Lord Vincent) answered that left me all the more curious but it seemed like that was all I'm going to get out of him seeing that Vincent is now occupied overlooking the view.

"How mysterious. I wonder if all the butlers I've met so far have been so considerate, reliable, and handsome. Truly some hetero's fantasies right now. My hetero friends would be envious." I laughed smugly as I remembered my friends who wanted a butler for a lover. I wish I could send them a portrait of Nigel or Alfred. I'm a hundred percent sure they'll fangirl once they see the both of them.

Alright no use in being bored. "[Storage Ring]."

I took out my sketchpad as well as my graphite pencil. Sketching Nigel's features he was really well built with his butler uniform that had a long tie in the middle, wearing a swallow-tail suit seeing the skirt were split into two like a swallow's tail.

His hair was proper, sleek, smooth and soft as it looked. He looked like an elegant and well mannered butler as he fit his gloves from time to time.

The strokes of my pencil were short and impatient as I finished the first sketch of Nigel. I stared at Vincent who's eyes never left the window. "Hey Lord Vincent?"

He turns to me, "What is it Lady Kein?"

I showed him my sketch of Nigel feeling proud, "Did I do good?"

Vincent observes my sketchpad as his hands reach for it, I of course gave it to him instead. "Truly you have incredible hands. To make this in a short time. Are you set on being an artist as a career? Starting young would give you an advantage." (Lord Vincent)

His hands traveled through the paper for a moment waiting for an answer, I slump back in my seat as I realize something. My original plan was to use my skill of art as a temporary solution to my financial problem.

I've been doing nothing but drawing and I fear that one of my works will haunt me one day. People would finally realize the worth of my works, chasing me through the end of the world. "If... Perhaps I won't get caught? Art is just a temporary solution to my financial matters you see. I have already been planning to move out, I've told Lenard about my plans. He's alright with it as long as I would send him letters occasionally in order to ease his worries."

Vincent gives me back my sketchbook, "You do know. I could give you a property, a house and everything you need if you wish."

I sigh as I scratch the back of my neck, "That looks like I'm taking advantage of you Vincent I don't want that. Kein Rosenguard has tricked Lord Wolfson's son into giving her property and money just because of a pitiful sob story."

I laugh a little knowing that this definitely looks like I'm taking advantage of Vincent and I really don't want that for us. "Besides, giving a ten year old a property and a house isn't really a wise choice. I don't even have a stable income to keep it running or even have anything to pay the staff with if I have them. I don't want to rely on anyone yet."

Vincent sighs, crossing his legs leaning in, "You are a child. Left alone with no one. Can't you be like any other child and be selfish? I will take care of all of it."

Vincent, I'm not really a child. My pride as an adult is unwavering. Sure the money is tempting but the house and the property is too much. I don't feel like I earned it. "Maybe someday but I want to learn how to depend on myself in this world. Don't worry I'll be fine, just lead me to a cool apartment in the meanwhile."

"Fine but perhaps if art is not your passion. You have time to decide soon before your magic blooms." (Lord Vincent)

Magic... I wonder what kind I will have? "Oh yeah, speaking of magic! I mean I've heard of the three magic types, [Elemental Magic], [Ancestral Magic], and [Blessing Magic]. I'm from a fallen noble house but Lenard had told me we were of common blood."

Vincent's eyes widened for a moment. "I have never heard... of a Rosenguard noble house. The association has no name of Rosenguard..."

I also gave him a confused look. Aunt Haren had [Fire Magic], Kein's mother... what kind of magic did she have... "You see I don't know much about Kein's mother- I mean my mother. I never really have been close with her but since Countess Haren my saint of an aunt has [Fire Magic] maybe I'll have the same?"

Vincent rests his chin by his hands as he thinks deeply ignoring me, "A fallen noble house... maybe your noble house is not a popular one because I've never heard of it..." (Lord Vincent)

Well ouch. I nudged his foot a little getting his attention, "Apparently I'm just a distant noble but currently I might prefer being a commoner than being in a room full of nobles in a fancy party. Certainly it's like a snake's den."

"You're not far off." (Lord Vincent) replied before continuing, "Perhaps you're right. As a commoner now your Aunt is a [Fire Magic] caster there is a chance you might get the same magic as well or if you're lucky you might have the magic your father wielded."

Hmm... Kein's father. I don't know who he is but all Kein wrote in her diary was he was a great and kind father but as for the magic or even about her mother there was no information about it. I guess as expected from a ten year old.

The carriage stops suddenly as I look outside the window. There were a lot of people walking around the streets doing their own thing.

The stadium was not far, I could see the architectural building of it. Its structure was public to all people as it reminded me of the Panathenaic style built in an open space. Nigel opens the carriage door for us as for the first time in a while I felt a new kind of excitement rising inside of me. "We are here." (Nigel)

I quickly got off. My shoes are a little worn out, the moment that I jumped I swear they almost broke. "Vincent! Vincent! Is it starting soon?!" I yelped as people stared at the carriage and then me but sooner or later they turned away their gaze from me and continued what they were doing.

"There there, Lady Kein. Please calm your horses. We have another person joining us today." (Lord Vincent) looked left and right trying to find someone. He smiles fondly as he glances at the direction behind me. "I see you're here early."

"Lord Vincent! Kein!"

The familiar voice that shouted suddenly hugged me from behind so suddenly I panicked but I saw the familiar blond hair that was similar to mine. "Kein you little- you left without warning me at all!"

"Lenard?! You're here?!" I yelled on accidently not fully controlling myself as I hugged Lenard back. It has only been two days but it feels like it has already been a lifetime. "I missed you Lenard!"

"I-I missed you too! J-Jeez! Don't go off like that without telling me where you'll be next!" (Lenard) looked at me pouting clearly. He was displeased but honestly when he worries he tends to be the most adorable person ever.

"Lord Vincent has been so considerate of me ever since I arrived at their huge estate. So Lenard I'm alright..." I told Lenard as he worriedly examined me as he kneeled to the ground leveling my eye.

Lenard stops for a moment realizing the new second clothes that I have and smiles, "You look good in these clothes, Kein. I love them."

"Aw thank you Lenard. This is actually Vincent's old clothes that wouldn't fit him anymore." I told Lenard and his eyes widened.

"T-This is... thank you, Lord Vincent for taking care of my cousin. I-It means a lot to me." (Lenard) says it gratefully that even it surprised me. I guess he was really worried about me a lot.

Thankfully Vincent just smiles at us as his hands waved slowly as if telling us don't mind it. "My old clothes have no value just lying around gathering dust in my closet. I suppose giving it to Lady Kein was a much better choice to do." (Lord Vincent)

I show off my clothes to Lenard who smiles at me, patting my head gently before standing up, "Come on now, I heard Duke Wolford will be competing?"

Lenard held my hand as we walked together. I honestly... don't mind this at all. Though it is strange with my adult mentality I don't mind holding hands with Lenard because it feels like he's an elder brother I never had back on earth. I always wanted siblings and I guess this is how it feels to have a sweet brother huh.

"Father will be competing indeed. We'll see how he'll fare against the Royal Knights beginners as well as the high ranking students and captains. This is practically a festival for them." (Lord Vincent)

"This is my first time going into something like this. Now I wanna see people getting thrown off please!" I told Lenard, tugging his arms.

Lenard seemed surprised at my sudden childish demeanor but nonetheless he couldn't say no to me. "O-Okay but let's make sure to not get separated. Don't let go of my hand, Kein."

"You spoil her. Lady Kein is already ten and she should be fine walking on her own." (Lord Vincent) crossed his arms as he looked at us both.

Lenard turns to stare at Vincent and I felt that the atmosphere suddenly got thicker, "Lord Vincent, even if that's true I don't want Kein getting lost while she's on my watch. That's why she's going to hold my hand until we get there."(Lenard)

"Lady Kein, is capable of walking without restraints to follow us. Isn't that right?" (Lord Vincent) looked at me as I awkwardly looked away.

"Y-Yes I am..." I replied as Lenard pulled me away to a food stall instead leaving Lord Vincent to follow us.

What happened between these two?! Why are you treating me like some child in a quarrel between spouses? "Here Kein! Have some of this!" (Lenard)

Lenard hands me over a candied fruit that was on a stick as he paid the lady that was running the store generously. "Oh thank you..."

I was about to take a bout but Vincent comes over quickly and snatches the candy from me. "Hey that was mine!" I shouted as Lenard heard my cry.

"You haven't had dinner yet so sweets are forbidden, Lady Kein." (Lord Vincent)

What the heck? Listen before we met you looked like you couldn't give two shits about me! "So um Lenard he took my candy?"

Lenard crosses his arms looking at Lord Vincent, "Milord please give it back."

"She still hasn't had dinner. Perhaps after she has then Lady Kein can have it back." (Lord Vincent) didn’t look like he was going to give it any time soon.

Lenard looked mad as he sighed. "Lord Vincent after Kein gets dinner make sure to give that back."

Wait so no candy for me? What the heck? "But I kind of wanted it?" I tugged Lenard's sleeve as he looked guilty. "After the show we can get anything you want okay?" (Lenard)

"You guys are mean but fine let's finally watch some people get thrown off their horses please." I give up. I don't know what happened to the both of you but don't get me in the middle of it.

Finally without these two being all weird I finally found a good seat where I could see the line where the riders will walk through! It really is like jousting back on earth! Vincent had to separate with us saying that he'll need to accompany his mother to a noble box.

Meaning it was those towers where nobles sit by themselves with their family to watch but as I looked around there was an empty box but it was surely lavishing. Out of all the boxes it was the most beautiful one but it was empty.

Lenard sat beside me as I pointed through the empty box, "Why is that spectator box empty?"

He looked at where I pointed and his expression looked saddened, "It's the royal box. I heard the Queen is currently sick so the Royal family will have to not attend to watch the spell jousting competition. However, there's a chance that the first princess will have to attend because of publicity but that was only a rumor."

"Ohh... the first princess huh. I wonder how she has been." I muttered to myself as I watched the riders with their shiny armor mounted their fine horses.

The first rider had silver armor with an Armet helmet. He held the reins of his black-willed horse that had a fine long black mane. The horse snorts as its eyes face forward into the opponent.

The other rider had golden armor with the same helmet but they had a blue feather at the top of it. His horse had a reddish color of body with a golden short mane. This horse was really impatient and it looked untamed.

"Does Kein know how spell jousting works?" (Lenard) asks beside me as we overlooked the riders all together.

My heart felt so excited just watching the knights mount on their horse. I want to do it too! "No! I don't know! Please tell me!"

Lenard points at the first rider with the silver armor, "Their armor is called hauberk. They wear a padded cloak underneath the armor to help them carry the weight of it. Now on the left side of each rider there's a plate called a gritted grand guard to where the lance needs to hit it to gain points."

I looked over the armor again and saw the plates on each rider.

A battle horn was played making a huge noise to which the people came to cheer loudly. "Kein! It's starting!" (Lenard)

The riders looked tense in their armor as they faced their horses to each other. "LANCE!"

"Hand me my lance!"

Their aids hastily held up their lances as both riders grabbed them, their horse being rode in a trot. The excitement is killing me!

Behind me I could hear a couple of old men talking to each other. "Hey, who do you bet on winning?"

"Twenty gold coins for the first rider!"

"Heh! Fifty gold coins for the second rider!"

"Move over I need to bet on the first rider a hundred gold for him!"

Lenard smiles, noticing that I was overhearing the conversation from the back, "This is also a good chance to bet on who's going to win. Many commoners are audiences for the stadium because it's more fun that way. Although fights break out because of these gambles..." (Lenard)

I kind of want to bet who'll win but-

"Wait wait wait." I looked at both at their lances as I noticed that they were having magic at the tip! "Lenard, are they going to use magic while jousting?!"

"Yes? Hence the name [Spell Jousting]." (Lenard)

I look back at both riders whose lance managed to both hit each other. The first rider's lance that had [Fire Magic] hit the gritted plate leaving a black mark. I'm surprised at this point how they are not thrown off at their horses?!

IT HAD MAGIC AT THE TIP! HOW?

The second rider that had also managed to hit the rider with [Water Magic] but he only left a mark at the chest part of the armor instead.

The judge of the competition held a device that was similar to a projector as the first pass played onto the screen. "Amazing!" I yelled as I looked over the lances being changed.

"One point for the Ferious Knight! Change the gritted plates!" (Judge)

The aids had to carry over a stool as they changed the gritted plates of both the riders. "Lenard! How come they can use magic over a wooden lance?! Tell me!"

"Well, those are not any ordinary wood. Those are from the [Arcrea Wood], these are wood mostly traded by the dwarfs; they grow easily as long as they're in a place where there's a lot of concentrated mana. They're turned into lances for this occasion because when a person channels their own mana into it, they can use magic on those lances appearing at the very tip- so did you get it?" (Lenard) explained that left me baffled but I understood half.

"Y-Yeah! So in short magic trees! Put mana! or magic power thing! And the magic they can do will show at the tip?" I understood that much at least.

"You're close- but some of the special kinds of magic can't be used by some special magic casters like [Spacial Magic], [Perception Magic], and too many to list." (Lenard)

"Ohhh... thank goodness they have pretty strong armor or else at that point I'm sure they would've been thrown off horse." I looked back at the riders again and their aides had finished replacing the plate by their shoulders.

Another battle horn was heard as the riders steadied their posture, "Lance!"

Their aides handed over the lance, the riders grabbed it and trotted through the fence line. The horses neighed trotting as the riders looked fiercely head on their opponent. "Lenard this is so cool! I want a horse now!"

"Definitely when you're older." (Lenard) replied laughing comfortably with my side as we both turned into a heated battle.

The second rider managed to hit the plate, splattering water everywhere as his lance broke. "For the Aurious Knight! Five Points!"

The magic projector showed the slow motion capture of the lance breaking as water magic at the tip of the lance made an impact through the grand guard. The first rider had himself bracing for impact, his body open after landing a blow.

The crowd cheered, "YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!"

"Wait, why is it five points again? Didn't the first guard also hit the plate but why did he only get one point?" I ask, noticing the point difference.

"Oh! Right I forgot to tell you- one point if you hit the plate, five points if you hit and then get a broken lance and then finally ten points if the rider has managed to throw off the rider on his mount." (Lenard)

I smiled at the last part. I need some excitement in my life. Meaning I need to see some sweat, tears, and blood. "YEAH! THROW HIM OFF NEXT AURIOUS KNIGHT!" I cheered for the second knight who was four points ahead.

Lenard looked over to me now a little concerned, perhaps because I've been screaming the whole time right after that. "KICK HIS ASS! YEAH! THROW HIM OFF!"

Lenard looked embarrassed beside me as he covered half of his face with his hand. "Ah. I don't know this child. I'm not acquainted with her." (Lenard)

"And the winner is Aurious Knight!"

Everyone cheered except for the people rooting for the Ferious Knight having lost all their money in betting on him now they were booing. "Boo! Boo!"

"Lenard that was exciting! Is there a next one?!" I asked Lenard who was looking at Vincent's spectator box in one of the towers. I could see Duchess Viviana who was sitting on a comfortable chair. "Oh~?"

I nudge him by the sides, getting his attention. "Y-Yeah? What was it Kein?"

"Distracted now are we?" I teased him a little as he looked back at Vincent before meeting my eyes in a state of panic.

"N-No don't misunderstand! I-I was wondering when Duke Wolford would be next to spell joust!" (Lenard)

Yeah like I'll believe that lie. "Yeah in Vincent's spectator's box? Lenard no need to lie to me. Come on, I also need to ask what happened back then? Looks like you and Vincent had something going on, don't tell me did you two fight?" I whispered in his ear and he sighs.

"Um... well..." (Lenard)

Another battle horn was heard as a new competitor entered the field. "Introducing! Duke Wolford! Versus! The Aurious Knight!"

Duke Wolford rode in his majestic white horse, neighing as it jumped high as if they were flying as they rode fast at the whole stadium. He was wearing armor that had his family crest at the front. Which was the wolf, "Oh man! That's the Duke! Lenard! He's going to spell joust next! Will he throw the Aurious Knight off the horse?!"

Well Lenard can tell me all his love problems later! I'm sorry but this show is too cool!

57