Chapter 27: The rain is pouring hard today.
1.1k 1 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 27: The rain is pouring hard today.

Kein's POV

Last night was horrible. Aunt Haren cursed me out of her home and demanded I leave right away. She kept banging on my closet until morning when I came out and decided that she’s right.

While Viscount Lenois Yulien. Aunt Haren's husband. Lucas and Lenard's father.

My uncle-in-law.

If I'm being honest I never see him around. I was mostly guessing that he uses his time for work outside the mansion.

He tries to reason with me the moment I come out of the closet room, staring me down calmly, "Perhaps we can make a deal? The Yulien family will adopt you as the third child of the family. You are my wife's niece after all." (Viscount Lenois)

I crossed my arms as I looked at Lenard giving me a nervous look. I sighed in my mind knowing Lenard might be against me leaving but I have to do what I have to do.

Here I said families stick together but here I am leaving Lenard alone in a lonely place like this. Perhaps am I too selfish? "Whatever you offer, money, power, or a title to my name. I refuse to be adopted into the Yulien family as I said last night."

I told them firmly. Aunt Haren rolls her eyes pointing a finger at me. Even if she's such a bitch I have to admit, she's fucking smart.

Viscount Lenois just wouldn't give up however and just kept pushing me off.

Lucas finally spoke up as he glared at me, "She's a freak! She shouldn't even be in this family!"

"The things she did to me when I was away father! She insulted me behind my back! Hurt me so badly!" (Lucas) says dramatically to his father like a sissy.

Wait hold up, are you playing the victim card right now? The nerve of him! I showed the scars last night and he would still play the victim?!

Lenard defends me from his twin brother, "She's not a freak! S-Shut up! Kein is not like that!"

"Did I ask for your opinion? Nerd brother of mine?" (Lucas) retorted as he had a stare down with Lenard.

Lenard shrinks in fear right after that but still- My heart felt warm for the time he defended me. I whispered him a thank you before looking at Lucas giving him that look of disappointment.

"Lucas, that is no way to talk to your elder brother. Both of you compose yourself." (Viscount Lenois) had cut the two off from doing even damage and to my surprise.

Even Lucas is obeying his own father. I have seen him disobeying Aunt Haren a lot but this is the first time. I have ever seen Lucas so afraid.

"Kein Rosenguard. Let me ask you again." The viscount states placing his hands together looking at me seriously with his eyes. "Will you be willing to be adopted into the Yulien family? This is your last chance."

I smile proudly meeting the Viscount's gaze. "No. I don't want to be a part of the Yulien household. That's my final answer."

Lenard forces a smile as Lucas just acted like he didn't care that's the same for Aunt Haren.

Lenard's father stands from his seat pointing his finger at the door. "You may escort yourself out then. Pack your bags, you're never allowed to enter our premises ever again." (Viscount Lenois)

I looked at Lenard in a panic as I was escorted outside with nothing else with me. "Good luck without the family giving you everything you need. When you have learned your lesson I know you'll come back crawling for forgiveness." (Viscount Lenois)

Dottie, the only maid who was nice to me, was the one who escorted me off. I was surprised they didn't send Madelyn or Maddie to throw me off the premises violently. "Let's go please, young miss." (Dottie) gave me a genuine smile before I exited that den full of snakes.

"No need to call me, 'young miss'. I refuse to be called that anyways." I told her and she nodded, continuing our walk.

I sighed in relief seeing Dottie who walked with grace as we stopped by my little closet that I had as a room. "Before you leave, maybe you would like to bring something with you in your old um... closet room." (Dottie)

I nod thankful for her to even consider that. I looked inside my small closet. There were still glasses of shards but they were kept in a corner so I won't get hurt.

I dig through the stuff that I might need seeing Kein's diary, and her small box of possessions.

I take it with me. I reached for it, grabbing it and holding it tightly in my arms. "I think that's all." I replied to Dottie as she nodded.

Dottie fidgets for a moment before asking while we walked together, "I'm really sorry for um... what's happening around you right now. Will you be alright?"

I looked at Dottie, giving me a worried look. She was really the only person who secretly cared for me after all.

I noticed it, the secret pattern.

She healed me when I got burned by fire magic. She tried stopping Madelyn with her abuse towards me. I only just noticed it but she gives some of her portion of food to me sometimes. "I will be. How about you? I still don't understand why you stick with Madelyn or Maddie all the time. They're really pieces of- I mean a hindrance to society.."

For someone pure looking like Dottie. I could never understand why she chose to be with those people. Dottie looks away her eyes a little sad as she defended her friend.

"Perhaps... Kids may not understand but we have our own different reasons." (Dottie) replied.

Hurting a kid for this much, for money? "It better be a good reason to have the need to burn my wrist and may I remind you- my back as well?"

I told her but she only gave me a sad smile. "She wasn't always like that, you know. Madelyn was one of the kindest people I've ever met, I hope you'll forgive her one day." (Dottie)

Wait, are you seriously just telling me this now? Don't tell me she has one of those sad back stories to why she committed bullying and all that. "Thanks for your reassurance but at this point I think it's already too late."

Dottie turned her head low but she didn't speak about it more but instead helped me get out near the gate. "I believe this is where we part. Miss Kein, I hope everything goes well for you."

I nodded in answer about leaving as a voice suddenly came out to call me making me stop, "Kein don't leave yet!"

I looked behind Dottie and saw Lenard trying his best to run after me but oh boy was he slowing down panting. "Lenard, are you here to see me off?" I ask him as he was now in front of me crying like an adorable baby if I'm being honest.

"I-I don't want you to leave without giving me a hug." (Lenard) yelled as his tears were overflowing from his eyes. This little crybaby cousin of mine-

Ah shit. Don't make me regret leaving Lenard you sweet little boy- "Agh, come here. Let me give you a hug before I leave." I told him as we slowly wrapped around each other's arms.

"W-Who will I talk about my boy's love books with... I-I want you to be safe okay? I'll send you your girl's love books that I ordered from Sprivanto... Don't forget to send me letters!" (Lenard) wailed some more as I pat his back slowly.

I always forgot that he can be vulnerable like this. "Yes, mom I will." I teased him as he scolded me some more.

"I-I'm serious, Kein. If I don't get a single letter in two weeks I'll worry. You always have to eat your vegetables, who's going to tie your hair-" (Lenard) fussed over the things I should remember to do.

"I promise to send letters often, don't worry. We can always see each other through Lord Vincent." I assured him as he finally let me go from our warm embrace. His eyes brightened as I mentioned Lord Vincent to him, I still think these two need to sort out some stuff the next time they meet.

Dottie was silently in the back giving us privacy smiling at what she's probably seeing right now. After all, Lenard rarely cried in front of the staff but to me, he cried every time he needed to. "M-Mm... I'll see you okay? Be careful and don't talk to strangers you don’t know, especially if they offer anything for free."

Lenard was really feeling like a mom at this point as I just laughed. "Yep, I won't."

With one last hug, we gave each other our secret handshake. We high-fived and hit it low. "I'll see you sometime, Lenard. I'll always be family so you remember that."


I looked towards Dottie afterwards who looked a little conflicted with me. “And please take care of yourself Dottie.” I told her and she only responded with a small nod before I decided it’s time to finally go.

I wasn't given any carriage so I just decided to walk into the city. I waved goodbye to Lenard with Dottie by his side. The only two people who cared for me even a little.

I appreciated them.

Now to focus on the now.

I'm homeless. A runaway. A kid who looks like she's going to be easily taken advantage of. I sighed as I carried Kein's stuff with me, when I made sure I was completely alone. I stored the box into the storage ring and continued my journey to the city.

For now I probably need to send a letter to Vincent about what's happening and ask him if I could stay there temporarily. "First I need an inn to stay the night. It's almost close to sundown and public carriages are not much available at night."

.-.-.-.-.-.-.

With that goal in mind I tried to find an inn to stay for the night. A ten-year-old girl who's alone wandering, searching for an inn. I was walking around the place as I noticed a building taking in guests, "Huh. Wonder what this is."

The smell of sweet perfume wafted through the air as I entered the building. "Welcome to the [Forbidden Desires] building-."

"Weird name for an inn." I told the cashier who looked at me weirdly and sighed.

"I'm not paid enough for this. Please leave the building before I do something I'll regret." The cashier rolled her eyes taking in her pipe to smoke. "This is no place for a little kid."

I look around the room, noticing a lot of paintings on the walls. "Oh are these-"

The cashier owner breathes out her smoke as she rolls her eyes, "Exactly. Come back when you're all grown up instead."

I quickly exited that place as I tiredly sat down on a bench. That place is definitely not good for a ten-year-old like me. I continued to find an inn to stay at but everyone said they were unable to take me in or I needed an adult before I could register.

"Sorry little one, where's your parents?"

"No kids allowed in here."

"Oh sorry we're closing until next week."

Alright, after walking for an hour, why are the other inns closed today? It's almost sunset at night time. "This is rather unlucky."

I looked up at the sky, the colors mixing gray and the wind growing cold.

Pitter patter. Pitter patter.

Drops of rain suddenly dropped through my skin, the cold wind breeze got stronger as I stood up from the bench and immediately looked for a shade. This is not a good day for me. "The rain is pouring hard today."

I crossed my arms as the rain started to pour some more. Don't tell me it's going to rain through the night but I have nowhere else to go. If Lenard never hears from me he’s surely going to worry. Oh and I haven't written any letters to the first princess for a few days now.

The rain seemed so peaceful but I wonder when will this stop?

I need to find somewhere to stay the night in or else- "Miss Rosenguard, why are you here?"

I looked to my right and saw Baron Hills exiting the shop. "Baron Hills?" I asked, looking over at him holding a little makeshift umbrella. "What a coincidence seeing you here. I was just taking shelter from the rain as you can see." I walked over to him as we chatted for a bit.

"I heard from Duke Wolford you have done a good job of yet another masterpiece." He praised me as I scratched the back of my head a little embarrassed that the news of my work reached him.

"Yes, and he paid me a hefty amount that would last me for a month I think."

He laughs while opening the umbrella while going out in the rain before looking at me confused, "Don't you need to go home?" (Baron Hills)

I scratched the back of my head feeling down. "I have no home. I got kicked out of my old place."

He thinks for a moment looking at me with pity and then at the rain. "You'll catch a cold. Please, come with me. I have many guest rooms at my place, you can temporarily stay there if you'd like."

I shook my head, "N-No it would be rude to just agree to that easily."

"I heard Alfred is preparing for dinner right now and I'm afraid it might be too much for one person." (Baron Hills) offered with a smile while he waves towards his carriage.

Knowing better how to swallow my pride, I decided to follow the Baron and take a temporary role of guest, 

58