Chapter 27.5: Temporary Home.
1.2k 2 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 27.5: Temporary Home.

Kein's POV

Baron Hills opened his umbrella letting me in, as we walked into his carriage.

He helped me up as we both sat down into the comfortable seats. He smiled as I looked out the window at the raindrops racing against each other.

Baron Hills looked at me worriedly as he asked, "Miss Rosenguard, is it alright if I pry more into the reason you were kicked out?" (Baron Hills)

Well it's not really very sensitive for me so I guess it's okay to tell him about it, "I got kicked out because I didn't want to get adopted by my Uncle." I answered him laughing a little. I found the whole situation too hilarious and I already saw it coming from a mile away.

"I've gotten too close with the Duke's son, Vincent and the first princess whom I've gained an audience with. Maybe he saw that as a reason to take me in."

Honesty is the best policy, Baron Hills just nodded as he sighs. "Your uncle, is it Viscount Lenois Yulein?" (Baron Hills)

My eyes widened for a bit as he hit right on the jackpot, "You know of him? I never saw him until like... just a few hours ago literally!"

"I've had several meetings with the man but I didn't know him personally. Although, he became too much after he knew of my close relationship with the Duke." (Baron Hills) explained as the carriage ride went on. "Both of us were royal knight students in the academy. Ranks didn't matter in the battlefield, so we had mutual respect for each other as well as comradery."

Wait, did he just say what I think he said? "There's an academy for knights here?" I asked in bewilderment as I remembered all my fantasies with the sword and the excitement I felt when I watched people jousted.

Baron Hills nodded, smiling noticing my excitement as he began to talk more about his profession. "I'm the eleventh captain of my own little troop. Due to personal problems I'm rarely out in the battlefield you see, the demon army is gradually drawing in but thankfully these months have been nothing but peace." (Baron Hills)

Right, there's other races aside from humans here. The typical fantasy races, like mermaids, fairies, elves, beast-folk, and just many more.

"Right, I've just heard a little about the demon and human war. Kind of cliché if you ask me. I've read too many light novels. I wonder if the demons here are truly misunderstood or just plain right evil..." I muttered to myself and earned a chuckle from the Baron. It seems that he heard it.

"One should hope to seek the truth, to find the answer. Perhaps, one day when all is well. You can venture the demon lands yourself and form your own belief." (Baron Hills) answered wisely as I nodded.

"You're very wise, Baron Hills. I like you a lot!" I told him as we both laughed feeling the air lighter than feather as we both talked more about our lives. Having a talk with someone my own mental age is rather comfortable.

"You're very responsible and smart for someone your age." (Baron Hills)

"However, I suppose children like you grow up fast these days." He muttered as he looked outside the carriage, "It's quite admirable you're surviving this fairly well."

I wouldn't say well...

I grab over my wrist, feeling all the other hidden bruises that still haven't healed under my clothes.

"I'm lucky to be alive if I'm being honest." I answered honestly, removing my shaking hand as I tried to act casual.

Baron Hills turns in silence reading the awkward tension in the air not knowing what to say, surely enough he sighs and smiles. "I'm glad you are, Miss Rosenguard. If not, then I will not enjoy my wife's memories through your work." (Baron Hills)

I looked up to see his eyes glinting off nostalgia ; perhaps it was memories about his beloved.

As if it was being blinded by flowers but still feeling remorseful as he hid his emotions through his mask.

My mind was curious about his wife.

I do remember Baron Hills mentioning about her being an artist but what kind of artist was she?

My interest was piqued as I wanted to know more about their relationship together. "I do remember you mentioning something about your wife, she also paints right?" I asked.

He laughs heartily and then softly at the end as he looks up at the carriage ceiling. It made me look up as well and I never fully noticed, it was painted beautifully with two angels holding hands together. Baron Hills didn't look away as he answered, "Yes, her passion in art is what I loved about her the most. Dare I say, she even reminds me of you in a way."

I had to take a step back mentally from his words. I care about art but I wasn't sure if I would make it my main profession. "Because we both paint, is that the reason why we're similar?"

He scrunches up his nose as he shakes his head. "Whenever you get a work started, you make sure you finish it with finesse. The art she makes wasn't like this, inspiration took place everywhere and some of her finest pieces took her years to accomplish. Whenever I look at you I get the same feeling." (Baron Hills)

I scratched my back at the genuine compliment. That was really nice of him to say, "Thank you again." I answered back as the carriage stopped at his mansion.

"We have arrived it seems." He was the first to stand up, opening the door to the carriage, offering his hand to me. "Careful of your step. I'm afraid the ground is all slippery because of the rain."

I smile politely, taking his hand gratefully for the kind gesture. I really can't say no to wise elders of mine. I walk down the carriage as I see the cloud clearing up but it was rather late at night.

"Master Hills, you have arrived rather late."

My eye is squinted trying to figure out whose figure it was that spoke. Oh! I recognize that voice actually, it was Baron Hill's butler Alfred.

Baron Hills just laughed, waving off his butler for worrying about him. I think, "I have brought a guest with me, Alfred."

Right, the batman's butler. I'm guessing Sebastian is getting overrated huh.

Alfred was carrying a magic lantern as he bows, noticing me as well, "As well as Miss Kein Rosenguard. A pleasure to see you again milady." (Alfred) greeted as he pointed the lantern at the pavement directing to the mansion. "Right this way."

His rough accent really is amazing whenever he says milady but in any case I followed him to Baron Hills with my side as it wasn't that far. Alfred chants a spell, his finger motioning into a circle motion as a magic circle glows with a key symbol appearing, "[Unlock]." (Alfred)

"Whoah!" I gasped in awe as I was reminded fuck I was in an isekai magic world but damn magic sure is pretty awesome.

Alfred opens the door as it does a little squeak. "Welcome home, master hills." (Alfred) muttered as he bows yet again. Such a formal butler, damn. I think I might one of them some days.

"I'm home." (Baron Hills) takes off his coat and hat, giving it to Alfred who folds it quickly and efficiently. "Please show Miss Rosenguard, the guest room to where she'll stay for the time being."

Alfred stares at me for a moment before walking in front telling me to follow him. "Ah..." My little tired feet sucked from all that walking before trying to find an inn but I did my best to match up to his pace.

We headed down three hallways to the right as we eventually arrived at the designated destination. Alfred unlocks the door with the same spell as he casually says, "I hope you'll enjoy your stay, Miss Rosenguard."

I nodded at his formality as I tried easing up the tension as I told him, "Alfred, honestly calling me Kein is fine."

Alfred stares at me once again processing the information that received. "Understood. Miss Kein."

I just wanted a normal Kein. I sighed, let me guess even if I asked him to just call me just by my first name I feel like he'll never do that so I decided to do the best next option.

Give up of course.

"I guess that works as well. I look forward to being in your care, Alfred." I replied smiling the best that I can as Alfred merely nodded. "I will call you once dinner is served. Pardon me."

Alfred closes the door gently as I was left alone in this huge comfortable guest room.

The white fluffy sheets of the bed were clean as I slowly fell into its fluffiness. I stayed like that for a few minutes as I turned to my right as I realized there was a window with really beautiful purple curtains coated in white flowers.

I stood up again and looked outside, seeing that the rain wasn't that pouring anymore.

The raindrops created a calming rhythm, like a song that relaxed me.

I sighed with relief that I'm finally out of that house but I wonder how's Lenard at this moment? I really hope he's not crying again or else his eyes will get puffy. "Oh right, I have to write him a letter that I'm currently not staying at Vincent's right now."

I took out several sheets of paper that I got from the first princess that also reminded me that I have to write to her as well. I sat at a nearby desk as I worriedly muttered to myself, "Ah, I better write before I get ambushed by the first princess again."

I grab a quill, dipping it in ink as I begin to write. "Dearest Cousin Lenard, I'm currently staying at Baron Hill's place. I am alive and well, please do not worry he is a good person and a good friend of mine. I hope to see you sometime this week again because I know you probably won't last a week without seeing me."

There we go, I wrote it all that I can as I poured wax over it, writing the address from the back.

That should be enough, now as for the first princess...

I ruffled my hair as I stared into the blank paper. "Okay I know this is weird and all but what can a commoner like me write to the first princess?"

One thing is for sure. I'm shit at writing letters. "Greetings to her highness, this is the traveling artist writing you a letter and I hope we can have tea again to talk about interesting stuff- nope... it sounds awkward and forced."

I grabbed the letter and curled it up into a ball before throwing it into the ground for now. I'll clean it up later. "Alright another one and it's gotta be proper or else can you get jailed for writing a horrible letter to the royal family?" I asked myself as I fell into a deep panic.

"Damn I hope not."

A few moments after I was finally done with the contents of the letter as I sighed, placing my chin into my hands lazily as I waited for the sealed wax to melt. I took out the royal seal from my storage ring, I carefully poured the wax over the letter before stamping it.

The symbol was really beautiful, it was a lion's head. Fit for someone with royalty that's for sure.

Alright, I did the best I could on this letter. "Time to send these two letters later." I muttered to myself as there was a sudden knock on the door.

Knock-! Knock!

"Miss Kein, I apologize if I'm disturbing but I'm just here to tell you dinner is ready and Master Hills is waiting for you in the dinning room." It was Alfred.

I quickly put out the fire from my candle as I leaped out from the chair excitedly. Finally I'm going to be served some good fucking food.

I open the door and see Alfred giving a neutral look at me, ever so formal and professional. "Thank you, Alfred." I told him as he just nodded, leading me the way into the dinning area.

When I saw my way there, magic lights hung from the ceiling. It was really pretty, giving me a whole fancy vibe, kind of rich. As expected from a Baron.

"Ah welcome, please have a seat." (Baron Hills) noticed me as he smiled motioning to sit over at one of the chairs.

I took a seat and waited patiently for the promised food.

Alfred comes back after a few minutes with several maids in tow with plates on their hands. He goes over to the both of us giving our food.

I realized it was something fancy. Holy shit this steak be shining or is it just me but my mouth be watering right now. "Thank you for the food-"

I picked up the knife and fork slowly cutting the juicy meat, as its texture was soft. My nose couldn't handle the strong scent of spices mixed with it as well.

So I did what any normal hungry person would do. I murdered that steak.

Baron Hills looked at me for a second before I heard him laugh, "Would you care for seconds?"

I stopped eating as I felt embarrassed seeing that the steak is almost half gone already and my stomach still grumbled. "Um... if it's okay with you, yes, I would like some more."

Alfred nods as he leaves to get me another steak. The maids follow as well. Baron Hills takes a sip of his wine, before gently placing it back at the table asking. "So have you decided how long you'll stay?"

I chew on my food answering, "Maybe... for a while I'm not sure. I still need a job where they'll accept a ten-year-old person into commission."

I continue, "I know painting is nice but... I'm not sure if my heart is set on it. All I know is I'm good at it but that doesn't really make me want to have that career. Some of my works are cursed after all."

"This is why by far I've only done about... ten works ever since coming here- I mean when I started painting." I explained a bit more in detail, finishing the steak.

"So in short, about a month or so?"

He nods intently listening, "My guest rooms are hardly used. You can stay here for as long as you like. I would even offer you a job that's suitable for your age."

Ohhh. A job offering? I really am a lucky isekai'd person. "I'll take it Baron Hills sir."

Baron Hills happily takes another drink of his wine, "It's to weekly send provisions to an orphanage not far from here. The church has already been assisting but these times, we're being hit hard by low provisions. I'll explain more details right after dinner, your second serving of steak has arrived."

Alfred actually came in with a second heap serving of that one juicy steak.

After dinner I came back full into the guest room as I started taking all of my stuff for now, I'll stay here.

I felt more comfortable as I took out Kein's box of items, as I took out her wrinkled diary.

I tried to look anywhere for the mention of Kein's mother or father again but nothing. Flipping through the pages worriedly, I was afraid. "This is a pain."

I heard another knock on my door.

I quickly took the diary and stored it in a safe place for now. "Come in-" I yelled, the door opened casually revealing the Baron yet again but this time he was holding something else in his hands.

"I hope you're not yet too full, I brought over some hot cocoa for dessert and some biscuits. My wife has told me to give them to children when they're going through something." (Baron Hills) was awkwardly stiff.

I could see that he was hesitant to even bring the snacks in. "So er... where can I put this..."

Ah I was getting fond of this old man already. There was a small living area in the guest room so I pointed over there. He sat down placing the tray and smiled, "I'm not good with children so pardon me if this is being forward." he told me as I brushed him off.

"I'm not like other children. Let's help ourselves please." I told him as I took my mug of hot cocoa. My eyes widened in surprise at how rich the flavor was, I can really taste the chocolate in this! "Wow! This is so good!"

I yelled, earning a smile from the Baron as he took his own mug and drank some of it.

I took one of the biscuits and did what my Asian senses told me. Dip the biscuit into the hot cocoa and then eat it. "Mmm." it tastes as good as I remember. These are definitely similar to what I have back at home.

"Is it good?" (Baron Hills) asks while holding his own drink.

"Yep thank you, this was unexpected but a welcome one that's for sure." I replied as we both sat in comfortable silence that day.

57