Chapter 16 – Night
163 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Both Kermit and Izumi sat back to back chatting. The sun had already set and the temperature was dropping. Neither of them found a way out, but at least they were not alone.

"Kermit, do you think we'll leave?" Izumi asked with a slight sniffle.

"We will definitely leave. Definitely!" Kermit reassured her trying to convince himself that it was true.

It was hard to believe even for himself, afterall this place was like a maze. No matter which way they went, how far they traveled the two of them always ended up right back here.

"I hope so. I miss my dad..." Izumi told him.

Kermit thought back to his own family. He was not without them long, but he longed to see them once more.

"Me too. We should get some rest and rethink things over tomorrow morning." Kermit suggested.

Izumi nodded. "Alright. Are you going to stay up or go to sleep too?" She asked.

"Do I need to stay up?" Kermit asked her.

"Yes. My dad always said if you are out of the clan overnight, someone has to take watch to alert the others if something happens." Izumi explained.

"I was told that as well." Kermit replied. "But, didn't you sleep here last night?" He questioned her.

"I didn't go to sleep." Izumi responded to him as she turned her head to look at him.

Kermit felt the movement on his back and looked in her direction to see her big black eyes staring at him.

"That's bad. You've been this active when you haven't had any sleep? Aren't you tired?"

Izumi nodded. "Yes, but you showed up. It's fun talking and playing with you, so I didn't feel drowsy."

Kermit looked into her eyes for a moment before he turned his head back. "Go to sleep. I'll take first watch and wake you up in four hours."

Izumi was silent for a moment. "You can wake me up in three." She insisted.

Kermit was taken back by this, but he still smiled. She was being very considerate of him even when she was awake longer than he was.

"It's fine, I'm used to sleeping late and waking up early. Just go to bed." Kermit told her.

Izumi agreed and started to close her eyes. Kermit could feel her weight shift on his back as her body loosened.

There were no words spoken for three minutes and Kermit assumed she was fast asleep.

"Kermit... can you tell me a story?" Izumi asked him innocently.

Kermit almost laughed. This was too cute.

"I don't know any stories. You just can't fall asleep?"

Izumi shook her head.

Kermit wanted to say something but he saw a pair of golden colored eyes glaring at him in the distance. What started off as one pair doubled, then tripled.

"Um... Izumi... do you see what I see?" Kermit asked her as he started to get up from the ground.

Izumi was still using his back as support and found herself falling backwards when Kermit got up. Her mind was not fully awake, that is until she saw those golden eyes.

"What are those?"

4