Chapter 18: Curiosity and Insanity in The Library
223 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mask of Insanity. Does that mean there are other Masks? Since she’s 22, does that mean we were all made at a different time? Why is the Goddess stopping me from finding out the effects of our Masks? Hidden effects? What makes Mask of Insanity insane? So many questions, not enough time to think of them all. First, I’ve gotta question her. Wait… I have no method of communicating. Damnit. Who thought putting a three-week delay on Skill Scrolls was a good idea? Looking at Insanity (That’s what I’ll call her), she’s still peacefully eating. Does she even know we’re in the Library?

I continued staring at her eating when I realised something. There’s a hand on her right shoulder. Why is there a hand? Who is there?! Why isn’t she bothered by it? A second hand appeared, putting itself on Insanity’s cheek. Despite having someone touching her, she’s still eating. Does she not realise? From behind her, I saw a pair of eyes and a wide grin, with the rest of the face covered by the shadow of the brim of Insanity’s huge witch hat. Scary! The out popped another Insanity, this one without a witch hat. 

She bowed to me, then floated over to me, wrapping around me like a snake and holding my head with her arms. “Ello there, Golem. Looks like you’ve found out about us! Insanity, huh.” She planted a kiss on my forehead, then on Bee, who was staring daggers at her. “You two are so cute. I could just… rip you apart. Well… not Bee, just you. Golems are interesting, according to her. Whatever main body says goes.” She pointed at the still eating Insanity-With-A-Witch-Hat.

Is this the effect of Mask of Insanity? Or is this a Skill? Same person? Voice in her head? She is the Mask of Insanity. Can I appraise them? Appraisal!

Status

General Information

Name: Name Needed
Age: Not Telling
Race: Human… Probably
Level: A Number
Skills: Too Many
Titles: Too Few
Occupation: Cute Witch

Statistics

Physical
HP: ???
SP: ???
STR: ???
DEF: ???
AGI: ???

Magical
MP: ???
INT: ???
FOR: ???
CST: ???
LUC: ??

This… tells me nothing. “Oh, were you trying to take a peek? How rude. Then again… Mask of Curiosity. Couldn’t help yourself, huh. Masks sure can’t control themselves.” She let go of me and floated back to the still eating Witch Hat Insanity. “Is there anything you want to know? I’ve got Telepathy. I can hear your voice and countless others. Mmm… voices.”

I see. First thing first, other Masks? Are there any others? Have you met them? Do you know what they are? Do you know what Masks are? Why is the Goddess hiding their effects from me? Is she hiding them from you too? Does your Mask mean you’re insane?

“Including you and me, there are seven Masks alive. I’ve met three of them in different lives. I know what they are, but they’re a surprise. I have no idea what Masks are, probably some secret end of the world plan. The Goddess likes surprises, I think. She hides a lot from us. No, I’m not insane. That’s clearly a fallacy created by the birds and bees of society. Anything else?”

Seven Masks, I see. You won’t tell me, however. Nghh… it’s going to tug on my soul. “Eh, you’ll survive.” 

Also… different lives? “Yeah. Sometimes you just die, you know?” 

For a person with the Mask of Insanity, you’re surprisingly… normal. “The whole Insanity thing is because inside her head is a whole lot of voices. I’m just one of them.” Previous lives? “Ooh, you’re sharp. Yes, previous lives.”

Hmm… I’ve got a lot more questions, but I’ve just remembered something. Are you able to take my Core and put it into that other Golem body? The one next to the reception desk. “The maid body?” Yes. The Floating Insanity moved over to the body to examine it.

“Hmm… what a nice body. Where’d you get it?” From a Dungeon Master. “Ah… a Unique item, huh. Unfortunately, I cannot do it now, but if you manage to take Estelle to the Ancient Dragon’s Mountain, she’d be able to help me transfer your Core. She created Terrian, so she knows a thing or two about Golems.” 

Estelle? Terrian? Who are they? “Estelle is the witch still eating, and Terrian is the first Golem. I can understand not knowing Terrian, but Estelle? Really? You already forgot?” I’m bad with names. “Clearly.”

So all I have to do is meet the Ancient Dragon. Sounds easy. “For a Mask, yes. Remember to take Estelle with you.” Isn’t she a Royal Magician? Won’t they need her? “Hmm… who cares? By the way… who is the little girl pouting on the reception desk?” 

I looked at the reception desk and saw Metis, her arms crossed and looking away from me. “Aww… jealous, are we? How about I give you a hu-” At that moment, we were pulled out of the Library. Must’ve been the time limit. Why does the Library even have a time limit?

The maid, who had barely moved from the door, fell over the moment we appeared. “W-where were you?!” I was about to explain before I remembered I have no mouth. The maid was also unable to understand Bee, so I looked at Estelle. I looked around the room, but the floating Insanity was nowhere to be found. Estelle… was still eating. Before I could tap on Estelle, the maid sighed. She must’ve realised who she was working with. “No matter. If your business with her is done, let us return to Your Majesty and Sir Ivest. I believe their discussion should be finished by now.” 

She began walking, and so I followed. Other Masks, huh. Before I try to find out about them, I really need to get into that new body. There’s no way The Library doesn’t have books on Masks, and without fingers, I can’t access them. Looks like I know what my goal is for now.

So many ideas, so little brainpower. I'm allowed to use rookie author as an excuse, right? I can see why so many rewrites happen.

8