Chapter 19: Gods and Monsters (Mostly Gods)
205 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a week since we’ve arrived in the old man’s hometown, and I’ve settled into his house quite nicely. There are two floors, with the living room, dining room, kitchen on the first floor, and three bedrooms on the second floor. The old man and his wife share one room, while their daughter has their own. The last bedroom is for guests and is where Bee sleeps. Where do I sleep? I don’t sleep, nor can I go upstairs. My legs are too short. Damn this body! Yet another reason to despise it. They’ve arranged a little corner in the living room for me, but it just makes me feel like a pet, so I spend the nights in the Library, talking with Metis.

For the past week, I haven’t been up to much. I’ve finally learnt the old man’s name. It’s Ivest. Well… I always knew it, I’ve just only bothered to remember it. As for his wife’s and daughter’s name… haha… I forgot. Speaking of his wife, I haven’t interacted much with her, but Bee seems attached. Probably all the honey she gives her. The daughter, on the other hand, is really attached to me. The old man wasn’t lying when she was like me. She is brimming with curiosity. Well, I won’t lose. My curiosity is my strong suit, after all. I’m not losing to a kid. Then again, I’m a kid too. Actually, aren’t I a baby?

Due to my lack of communication skills, I haven’t been able to find where I have to go to meet with the Ancient Dragon, but I figured Estelle would do something about it. Thinking about it, a body that can’t read or communicate is a really cruel thing to give Mask of Curiosity. What were you thinking, Goddess?

Speaking of the Goddess, on one of the small adventures the little daughter takes me on with, we ended up in a church. The priest seemed alarmed that a monster came in but then saw my Monster Citizen badge, at which his eyes lit up. He saw it as an opportunity to educate something that didn’t have the basic knowledge. He must really like talking about the Goddesses since he went on and on and on. Obviously, the more information, the better. The bad news was that the old man’s daughter couldn’t keep up and ended up visibly short-circuiting. Well… I could always go back.

I learnt that there are three types of Gods. The Ultimate Gods, the Major Gods, and the Minor Gods. Gods in this world are either incredibly powerful individuals or guardians for a village or natural area. The Minor Gods tend to be mortals at the peak of power or things that villages or nomads worship. The number of Minor Gods has been going down, according to the priest, due to many reasons. Fanatics, migration, conversion, fanatics, and even the Minor Gods dying. Apparently, Estelle is an example of a Minor God, and judging by her Magic stats, it makes sense. By the way, Threat Level X monsters tend to be considered Minor Gods too. Interesting.

Major Gods are Minor Gods who have actually managed to reach the Divine realm. One day a light beam in the sky picked them up. There’s only been twelve recorded ‘Ascensions’, but scholars are theorising there have been much more, with records of them being lost to time. Records lost to time, huh. That had me thinking, would the Library have them? It says it has every text to have existed, but does that mean the text is in its current state or at its peak condition state? Anyways, Major Gods are basically Minor Gods who have ascended. It’s unknown how many there are, but it is theorised to be less than the number of Minor Gods. Oh yeah, the Evil Goddess is considered a Major God. The priest went on about all the Major Gods, but that’ll take a while to go over, so I’ll think about it some other time.

The Ultimate Gods are the Gods who originally existed and govern this world. There’s six, each with two domains. Liren the God of Space and Nature, Cera the Goddess of Souls and Life, Krall the God of Death and Time, Oran the God of Elements and Magic, Mill the Goddess of Chaos and Creation, and Laim the God of Order and Destruction. Some of the combinations make sense… but Order and Destruction? Eh? 

Oddly enough, the System Goddess doesn’t fit under any of the categories. She’s not considered a Minor God because she’s considered too powerful, she’s not considered a Major God because she wasn’t a Minor God to begin with, and she’s not considered an Ultimate God because the System wasn’t something that was there in the beginning. It just randomly popped up one day and since then has become part of this world. This seems more like a problem with the classification system, but whatever. I only care to find out about things, not fix them. Although this raised some more questions I have for the System Goddess. Who is she? Where did she previously come from? Is she actually a Major God like her Evil Goddess friend? Do people forget they were friends? What is her name? The priest didn’t tell me. Or maybe he did, and I’ve just forgotten. So many questions, not enough answers. Just the way I like it.

I may or may not take a break to basically figure out what I want to do in the future with this story. This was written with basically no planning, so I'm thinking of doing some of that. You'll probably find out if I did if I released a chapter in 3 days or not.

6