Chapter 20: System System
221 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

FINALLY!!! That singular query that has plagued my thought processes since the genesis of my existence has been answered. Huh? What’s that? Wondering about my sudden burst of vocabulary usage? I’ve been conversing with Bee lately, and it has come to my attention that her lexicon is rather… well-versed. Due to my pride as the scholar in our master-servant relationship, I have taken upon the task of expanding my dictionary in day-to-day thoughts to not lose to her. Although I will admit… I am getting tired of this. Maybe I should just accept defeat. Clearly, Bee is the intellectual in our duo. Grr…

Oh yeah, the question that’s been answered. It’s question two. If you don’t know what question that is, let me pull up my question list.

  1. Where am I? (Not that important)
  2. How do I level up? (Clearly not by killing)
  3. Why is the Goddess interfering? (Maybe it’s about curiosity and the cat)
  4. What kind of name is Elgenhein? (Old Wizard Man Elf Thing, probably)
  5. How do I remember these questions? (Magic?)
  6. How did Bee get her Unique Skill? (What does it even do?)
  7. Why have I met so many beings with Unique Skills? (Are they actually not rare?)
  8. Can the old man actually read my mind?
  9. Why is Bee’s vocabulary so high? (Seriously, why?)
  10. What exactly is an X Threat Level monster?

Which reminds me, question ten has also been answered. Surprisingly question one hasn’t been answered. I should really get to it. However, onto the primary subject matter. Yes, I have found out how one levels up in this world! I now know how the System works.

It’s surprisingly simple. There’s no EXP bar, there’s no defeating monsters, nor eating flesh or some sort of special skill you need. Those were pointed out because Otherworlders are common enough that those are frequently asked questions. By the way, it turns out the Adventurer’s Guild has some sort of schooling program. Oh man, I wish I had learnt about it earlier. Mmm… learning.

Level is determined by how many Skills you have. Yes, that’s it. Skill upgrades also count towards level, but upgradable Skills are extremely rare. Thinking about it, doesn’t that mean the people I have met so far, like the Old Man, the Dungeon Master, and especially Estelle are incredibly overpowered? Then again, I am too, upon further inspection. I have the Library, which gives a Skill and upgrades every five levels. Hmm… maybe I should try learning a bunch more Skills?

Well, I can’t. It turns out that there is a max amount of Skills you can learn, depending on Race. Monsters can only learn two Skills, and I’ve wasted one spot on Meditation. Darn. There’s no cap on Titles, though. Maybe I’ll try to earn every Title to have a bunch of Skills. Wait… I don’t need to do that, I have The Library. 

I had many questions regarding the System, and I’m so glad that the lecture came with those questions answered already. It appears many others before had these questions. 

Why don’t people use Skill Scrolls? Because those are items exclusively made by Dungeon Masters. They rarely interact with the outside world, and so these items rarely enter circulation. Should one enter, they are typically quickly snatched up and used.

Why don’t people earn a large number of Titles that give Skills? Not many Titles actually give Skills. A majority of Titles only give stat increases or effects to your aura.

Why not get a Skill that gives Skills? Those tend to be Unique Skills.

Some monsters don’t have levels equal to their amount of Skills. What’s up with that? Monsters actually have one more way to gain a level. They gain one level for every year they have been alive. Due to how monsters work, they rarely gain levels through this. It is unknown if this has a maximum. 

This whole System lesson really got me thinking about the System Goddess. She really is a slacker. I bet she thought that she could just make a simple System, but then people found a bunch of holes early on, and she had to haphazardly fix them up. Oh, System Goddess, my image of you gets worse and worse by the day. You pitiful thing.

Anyways, I guess that explains why I’m so powerful despite only having existed for roughly a month. I’ll end up getting more powerful in four days when I get Telepathy, too. Although, this reminds me. Estelle had fourteen Skills but was at level 31. She’s not a monster, so where did all those extra levels come from? Related to her Unique Skill? Hmm… Estelle really interests me… is it because she’s a fellow Mask? 

Speaking of Estelle, still haven’t heard anything from her besides a letter. A Royal Task was addressed to me. It declared that Bee and I are to escort the Royal Magician Estelle to the Mountain of the Ancient Dragon in two days. What a creative name. Who names these things? I should probably name myself too. Eh, I’ll think of a name eventually. 

Oh yeah, I also learnt monsters evolve at level 25, with the sole exception of Golem species. I feel left out, but that does add an extra goal. I’m curious to see what Bee would evolve into. Probably a Beekin, judging by the Dungeon Master’s companion. She was over level 25 if I remember. But how do I get Bee a ton of Skills? Hmm… maybe the Library has something. Argh! I really want those fingers! I can’t for the stupid escort task.

You know that thing last chapter where I said I might disappear to do some planning? It turns out I don't know how to plan. So here's a chapter. I think I'll probably continue on like this, it seems to work for me. Probably will result in the story going off in the deep end in the future, but oh well. Although this lack of planning is something I'm regretting, this is my first story, so I think this is a valuable lesson for next time... assuming I do a next time.

By the way, as for the System... I'mma be honest, I regret doing it this way, but what's done is done. If I do do a next time, and it just so happens to have a System, I am definitely either ripping off someone else or building it 8 months before I start writing.

7