Chapter 23: Patience Speaks
173 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi, golem here. I still don’t have a name, but what I do have is fingers. Functioning, grabbing, feeling fingers. Well… not feeling. Rocks don’t feel. Unless it’s pain, I can feel that… for some reason. Still questioning that. But yeah, I’ve got fingers, and I’m not afraid to use them. I’ve been dying to go into the Library and drown myself in books since I can now grab them, but Patience wanted to have a little talk, so I’m currently sitting at a table with Estelle and Patience, who are both drinking some tea.

By the way, besides the fingers, this new body is quite neat. It’s made out of a tougher material than my previous body, so I ended up getting a whopping +200 DUR from it, which means I now have 558 DUR. This body is also much more dextrous. I can jump. I never tested it out, but it turns out my previous body couldn’t jump. I can also run faster now, it seems this body is lighter. I also got +20 to AGI. It’s not much, but previous experiences have taught me that AGI is very important, so I’ll take any boost to it. It also has pockets, which aren’t useful since I could just store stuff in The Library, but Bee has a comfy place to sleep in now. If I had to say a complaint… it’s that the maid dress isn’t a dress, it’s actually part of my body. Why did the Dungeon Master have to make it this way? 

Anyways, we’re at a table. Patience said they had something to say, but they sure are taking their time. I’d glare at them, but my golem face isn’t expressive. The face is all for show. It’s a cute face, though. That’s me digressing. I really want this talk to be finished so I can go enjoy the ocean that is The Library. Those books… I hear them calling for me.

Patience took one last sip of their tea and put the cup down. “Insanity, I see you’re doing well.”

“Mm.”

“That is good to hear. Now then, let me go over what I wanted to share.” About time. “Curiosity, you are curious about the other Masks, are you?”  I nod at their question. It’s less than a day before I get Telepathy, but damn does it feel like it’ll take forever. 

“Then I shall divulge information about us Masks. Each of us Masks have hidden effects given to us by our Titles. Insanity’s hidden effect is that when she dies, her Mask is carried over to another soul, and also she gains access to the previous lives. I am sure you have seen it in action.” So that explains it. I figured that was the case, but it’s not a Skill, huh. So far, Titles only seem to give Skills or stats, but they can have effects. Interesting.

“My hidden effect is that whenever a Mask appears in the world, I am notified what it is. Other than the Mask, I know nothing else. I believe I was given this effect as I am the oldest of the Masks.” Hmm… that’s nice. Hurry up and tell me them. I know that’s what you wanted to do. Come on. I’m curious, and you know that.

“I can see you’re raring to learn about the others. Currently, there are nine Masks alive, right now. This means besides the three of us here right now, there are six other Masks. Three Masks are relatively young, excluding you, Curiosity. They are Apathy, Tragedy, and Rebellion. I do not believe you are capable of tracking them down due to their young age. The last three are significantly older, and I happen to know each of them. They are Bloodlust, Greed, and Love. I am acquainted with Bloodlust. She’s an Oni that can be found within the Forest of Death.” Huh. That’s one of the stories the Old Man told me. He told me about the Ancient Dragon and the Oni… maybe the Evil Goddess story is also related to me. If only I could see Mask of Curiosity’s description, that’ll share a lot, wouldn’t it? Titles do seem more honest than Skills. Now then, Apathy… I don’t know what to comment there. Tragedy, that’s just sad, and I have no idea where to find them. Rebellion… hmm… probably going to cause some sort of revolution in the future, so I guess it’s a matter of waiting with that Mask. Bloodlust, from the story, sounds about right. Greed, a collector? A merchant? Love, hmm… I see. What contrasting Masks. Bloodlust, Apathy, Love. Man… 

“As for Greed, she is constantly travelling, always looking for something new. Last I heard, she was approaching the heroes who had been summoned in Avari. Otherworlders tend to bring interesting items that I am sure she’ll want to possess. Maybe grab one or two Otherworlders for her collection too. Love, on the other hand, is in a Dungeon in the Unnamed Desert. I hear female adventurers never leave that Dungeon. She was always a charmer.” Hmm… I have no idea where those are. Maybe Estelle kno- and she’s sleeping. I’d ask Bee… but she spent her entire life in the Dungeon. Wait, couldn’t that one past life that had Telepathy that Estelle had come out? Actually, I’d rather not talk to that… snake again. She… there’s just something about her. Argh, if only I had Telepathy myself!

Due to Goddess interference, the Skill Telepathy has been granted.
Due to gaining Telepathy, level 15 has been reached.

Due to level 15 being reached, the following has happened:
The Library has been upgraded. The Librarian, Metis, has been awakened.
The Library has given the skill Instant Reading.

Oh… that’s oddly convenient.

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what's going on. Sometimes I wonder, why couldn't I write something even simpler? I also wonder why couldn't I just not follow my whims. Oh well, what's done is done.

7