Chapter 28: Lying Still In A Forest
160 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After that talk with the Evil Goddess, I found myself back in the Forest of Death, lying down. To my left, I found Estelle sleeping, while on top of me, I found Bee meditating. To my right, I saw the burning remains of the crashed airship, with the pirate captain of it nowhere to be seen. Did Estelle really let her go? Wait, no need to worry about that captain. More importantly… the Evil Goddess.

So that thought I had ago about us Masks being part of her, it's true. I knew my questions would eventually get answered, but that one got answered quicker than I thought it would. Since she spoke to me, it should be possible for her to speak to the other Masks. If so, I wonder if she has. Clearly, she hasn't spoken to Patience, as they have no idea about her, but what about Estelle?

I poked Estelle to wake her up for questioning, but she wouldn't wake up. Not only is she a heavy eater, but she's also a heavy sleeper. This is inconvenient. Well, I doubt the Evil Goddess would have talked to Estelle. She seems more likely to speak with those… others? How does that work? If I yell out telepathically, will they come out? 

Uh… hey… umm… 

What do I even call them? Witch? Insanity that isn't Estelle? What even are they? A Skill or something else?

"That new rocky face of yours sure is cute, especially when thinking." I looked to my right to see the one who talked to me back when I first met Estelle. She's lying down next to me, and right behind her, I can see three figures. "Don't focus on them. It's just you and me for now, okay."

Uh… okay.

"Now then, your thoughts, I hear them. The Evil Goddess has spoken with you. Ain't she just the cutest?"

She looked exactly like me.

"I don't mean in that way, but let's disregard that for now. Since you're wondering, she has yet to talk with Estelle."

How about you?

"We've talked. She only said I was part of her, nothing else. She must've chosen you because you're a fool."

That's hurtful.

"And true. Your curiosity will be your downfall, and unfortunately, you can't stop it."

Curiosity killed the cat, right?

"Indeed. Don't worry, though."

Why?

"You're standing next to Insanity. We'll go through the Evil Goddess's plan with intentions to backstab her. She's busy listening in on another Mask right now."

How can you tell? How do you even plan to backstab her?

"Answers shall come eventually. Toodaloo, golem." She rolled right through me, going back into Estelle. I'm getting tired of this whole mysterious thing people are going through around me. At least Bee is honest with me. 

One of the three figures walked forward, then crouched beside me. This one I hadn't seen before. A jester. That's what I see. "She called you a fool, yet all I see is a tool. A puppet for great evil, a device for divine upheaval." Did… did she just insult me in rhyme? She jumped over me, back into Estelle. That… what? Is that all?

The second of the three approached. This one was dressed like a queen. Royal magician, jester, queen, Insanity sure has a royal theming. Then again, witch. Two witches, granted, one is the royal magician. "I applaud you, maid."

For what?

"Not many have gathered that wretch's favour. As powerful as she may be, no one desires to use such power. For that, I applaud you."

Powerful? More powerful than Estelle?

"If our current vessel is your benchmark for power, then that harlot has passed it a thousandfold. I shall root for your success, but also her downfall." She gracefully walked over me, returning to Estelle. So not everyone in there is on that witch's side. Honestly, Insanity is confusing me more and more. I have even more questions about it. I'm scrapping my previous questions, new list right now.

  1. What is the Evil Goddess's plan? Something related to the System. I should appraise myself soon.
  2. Have the other Masks talked with her? Fortunately, we're currently going to meet them.
  3. Why am I trying to find the other Masks? Because… I'm curious? 
  4. What is up with Insanity? I have no idea. 

Might as well answer the first question. She said she was going to… uh… corrupt the System or something? Down with the System? First the stats, then eventually skills and titles, then the whole thing altogether. As far as I can tell, I'm the carrier of it, so I should appraise myself first. Since Bee and Estelle are right next to me, I should appraise them next. Appraisal.

Status

General Information

Name: Unknown
Age: 0 years old
Race: Rock Golem
Level: 17
Current DUR: This service is no longer available.
Current MP: Gone.

Statistics

Nothing to see here.

Skills (10)

Unique Skills
The Library (3/5)

Racial Skills
Inner Core
Rock Body (Permanent)

Granted Skills
Appraisal (1/3)
Calculation
Earth Magic
Hivemind (Leader)
Instant Reading
Language Comprehension
Telepathy

Learned Skills
Assimilation
Meditation

Titles (7)

Soulbound Titles
Broken (Unactivate)
Hive Queen
Mask Of Curiosity
Reincarnator
System Corruptor

Earned Titles
Cognitive Monster
ungeon Monster (Active)
Roaming Boss (Active)

So that's what she meant. If my stats are gone, how does that affect my Skills? Looks like I'll have to appraise them all again. Before that, I just remembered. Weren't there three figures?

I looked to where they were, and still standing there was the third. Huh. I've only just realised, but has my memory gotten worse? The last figure was one I'm familiar with. It's the masked one that killed the bandits for us. She's just standing there, looking off to the side. Guess I'll ask why.

Why are you still here?

"I am the first. Hunter of all things, and protector of my vessels."

Doesn't answer why you're still here.

"Bloodlust approaches." In the distance, I heard the sound of a falling tree. 

Sorry for the extremely late chapter. Gonna be honest, I was busy reading manga and playing games. I kept putting off this chapter, mostly because I wanted to continue reading. Releases will probably be slow for the time being but worry not, I'll get back into the author mindset. I'll get back into a chapter every 3 days, but I do think I'll post chapters at this time as opposed to earlier like before. Gives me more time to write. Oh yeah, to make it up, I'll attempt to do a double release next time. Emphasis on attempt.

3