Chapter Seventy-Eight: How to Train with a Dragon
672 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“My father has been keeping his eyes on you, Harker. My father had long been impressed with how you slithered your way in the underworld. To be able to do so without bribing others of your kind is quite a gift.”

“Bribing indicates your intention and reveals the possibility of the briber to be after something. If people in the Underworld think I’m after something, they become wary of me. Also, bribing can create a trail that could cause my downfall.” Harker summarized.

“And this extremely cautious nature of yours led you to pursue other methods. What did you do that allowed you to become one of the biggest names in the underworld?”

“I gained their trust.”

“Exactly. When I told Seeker of how my father took careful attention towards you, he reviewed your credentials and concluded that your ability to gain peoples trust is a Skill.”

“That’s a skill?” Lynd asked.

“You underestimate the world he lives in. People like Harker stand in the brink of death every single day. They deal with all sorts of devils and betrayals and mutinies happen every day. And yet, years and years pass, not one of the leaders of these organizations gets replaced. It takes skill to manage their thrones. And Harker used the strangest of them all. That’s why my father was confident that Harker has planted Programmed slaves in Australia.”

Harker twitched. He still recalled Seeker’s demanding request of coughing up all of Australia’s Programmed Slaves.

“Seeker told me that the strongest Path’s that existed aren’t the abilities that Meryl has. Rather it’s those abilities that can manipulate the hearts of the people around them. We met Richie and experienced his Skill which he has yet to perfect. Peals of Thunder which create sounds that invoke fear to everyone.”

“How is that different to the Reapers Breath?” Cliff asked wondering how his new skills can fare against an Overcomer.

“Were you able to use it during our battles in Australia? The average suit of a soldier comes with masks to cover themselves from any airborne chemical attacks. And that includes the Reapers Breath. So your skill is useless. but Richie's skill isn't. Meng the Dragon has something similar to that. And I think Harker knows of this. You must have experienced it haven’t you? That’s why you’re so paranoid about Meng.”

Harker was silent. He closed his eyes and recalled the pain he felt on his first meeting with Meng.

“He… he’s not human. I wasn’t just paralyzed by the fear. I was hurt. What you guys could do… it’s nothing compared to what he has.”

Everyone was silent at Harker’s description.

“I don’t know what it was. It almost drove me insane. I pushed myself too deep in the underworld and managed to trick his subordinates in making me meet him personally. Meng didn’t trust me. I almost died.”

“What did he do?”

“He didn’t do anything. But when I saw him, my entire body just broke down.”

“I thought you were tortured and electrified!” Alean exclaimed.

“I told you that because had I said the truth, no one would have believed me and if word goes out that I went crazy, I won't be able to stay in the Underworld.” Harker berated.

“The moment I saw him my entire body didn't just go stiff. I nearly died from a heart attack. The electric shock wounds I received was when his subordinates where defibrillating me.”

“Is it the Reapers Breath?” Charles was shocked at Harker’s explanation.

“No. Weren’t you listening?” Lowengren scoffed lazily.

“If it’s that then there’s no way Meng would be an Overcomer with a Path so useless that relies on scent alone. I believe what affected Harker wasn’t scent but sight.”

“Sight? I almost died because of sight?”

“Doctor Lindmitt? You’re the doctor here.” Lowengren asked.

Charles was pondering what might have happened.

“From what you explained, it sounds like extreme fear caused your entire body to jolt which led to cardiac arrest. This is interesting. The fear that the Reaper’s Breath affects the brain and could cause heart failures when used towards people who have heart failures. But for a healthy heart like yours…. You must have fallen into an extreme level of stress that caused arrhythmias to your heart.”

The room was quiet from hearing such an absurd hypothesis. Meng caused extreme fear which led to Harker having a heart failure?

“Just how abnormal are these Overcomers?” Lynd complained.

Arthur and Charles gave Lynd an irritating look.

“Says the monster himself,” Charles mumbled under his breath.

“In any case, don’t try to think too much of this. The Reapers Breath can never reach that level. It’s a Path that an Overcomer has. It’s not something that we can hope to replicate.” Arthur summarized.

“But didn’t Australia manage to copy Richie’s Peals of Thunder? I mean, I heard it when Lynd was fighting Garland and I was even affected by it!”

“It was a poor attempt in copying it, Meryl. Remember what we felt when Richie used the Peal’s of Thunder on us?”

“Of course I do! Don’t remind me. It really felt like my skin was being peeled off.” Meryl shuddered in recollection.

“How was it compared to the version they used?”

“Oh, I see where you’re going. Right. It was pitiful. Even Seeker’s pressure was far terrifying.”

“If an Unlocked mind can’t hope to copy that Skill, then the current technologies of this world wouldn’t be able to do the same.”

“Then what exactly can my Skill do?” Harker interrupted impatiently.

“I’ve already explained it. Make people trust you. Isn’t that how you managed to get where you are? Isn’t that how you have buyers all over the world who believe that they are the exclusive purchasers of your Programmed Slave? Yet your network of slaves run all over the world and no one notices it. Except for people like my father.”

“I don’t see how that skill will be useful.”

“Don’t you find it easy to deceive others into trusting you?” Arthur inquired.

“That’s right! Politicians, soldiers, friends, and colleagues! That’s why despite the facts that there have been many pieces of evidence pointing towards you, you are able to ward off suspicions from yourself!” Alean expressed.

“That’s true. I have friends who all hold you on high regard. They say you’re a man that they can trust.” Charles recalled.

Harker was silent. Now that it was explained to him, he realized that he did have this skill in convincing others and making them trust them. It wasn’t hard for him to do so.

“You probably feel that you can make a person trust you regardless of the circumstances right? That’s why even if there are tons of evidence pointing towards you, Presidents, military leaders and even your fellow colleagues in the Underworld can trust you.”

“Let’s say that’s true. How exactly can that be useful as a path? You actually think this skill is useful for the coming wars?”

“Yes. Imagine what you can do if you can make any enemy trust you? If the enemy, we captured is a woman you could even seduce her. Of course, you can do the same to a man should the opportunity arise.” Arthur explained.

“What are you implying?” Harker growled angrily.

“Nothing. However, if we do manage to capture Aragarian’s who have exotic tastes, we will utilize all our resources to get the information we need. And you have that capability. You can make enemies trust you and use that trust to get intel.”

“So, I’m going to be a spy and a gigolo at the same time?” Harker scoffed sarcastically.

Arthur sighed while Lowengren shook his head.

“You’re quite slow for a General aren’t you? Don’t you see? He means, that if you manage to reach Inhuman or Ranked Hero, you won’t need to be a spy or a gigolo to do that.”

“An interrogator then?”

“That is the tip of the iceberg. Seeker was confident that such a skill could be used on the battlefield. Being a spy would be putting you in so much risk and you might even betray us. No. For now, you stick close to us.” Arthur explained.

“Alean will take control of your army from the shadows. The same bomb planted on her heart will be planted on yours.”

Harker gave an angry look.

“Don’t get me wrong, we do need you, but we don’t trust you.” Arthur shot back coldly.

“Why did you make it look like Lowengren and Alean died?” Charles asked.

“It’s part of Seeker’s next plan. Remember, he asked me to send Richie a message three days from now? Tomorrow, I’ll be sending it. In that message, was Rosa’s current location.”

“Who’s Rosa?”

“I don’t know. Someone who’s obviously important to Meng. Richie will fight Meng but in that message, Seeker told us to help Richie.”

“Cool! Fighting alongside an Overcomer!” Meryl happily cheered.

“Wrong Meryl. This is training for us. Richie will lose. Richie’s growth hasn’t reached its peak yet. He will die if he tries to provoke Meng. So Seeker orders for us to help Richie achieve his goal and protect him.”

“WHAT?” Harker exploded in shock. His greatest fear would be Seeker's prepared training ground?

“You’re going to face Meng? You’re crazy! How are you going to train with a Dragon?”

“It makes perfect sense.” Lowengren shrugged helplessly.

“We need strong enemies if we have to grow stronger. And Meng’s such a group that can challenge us.”

“I think it’s all good! We have Richie after all!” Cliff stood up excitedly.

“Richie will already have his hands full with Meng. And let’s not forget Meng’s assassins. These are people who can stand before Meng and not die.”

“But that means-”

“We’ll be facing Unbecomings.” Lowengren sighed lazily with his face planted on the table.

“Not just ordinary Unbecomings. But trained Unbecomings. These are veteran assassins after all.” Arthur added.

“We just fought a war and now are going to fight people who can endure Meng’s sight?” Charles cursed.

“Sounds exciting!” Cliff laughed.

Everyone except Cliff had a depressed look on their faces. Several even glared at Seeker who was unconscious.

“He’s out cold but he still manages to get us into some deep trouble.” Meryl cursed.

“A battle of this scale would undoubtedly cause a scene. Most intelligence services around the world should take note of this. That’s why Alean had to fake her death. Harker would be the visible leader while Alean and Lowengren would become the unseen leader of this organization which is trying to topple down Meng’s organization.”

“So you’re making us the scapegoats? That’s like putting the world’s crosshairs over our heads!” Lowengren complained.

“Because of everyone in this room, your value is lower than that of Charles, Seeker, Meryl, Lynd and me. Of course, Cliff could become the sacrificial lamb but let’s face it. Would the world secret organizations of this world believe that that man would be the menacing brain of a fearless organization?” Arthur pointed.

Cliff had long stopped listening to the conversation as he was excited with the upcoming battles and was deep in thought while picking up several large black objects hidden deep inside his nose.

Alean and Lowengren stood helplessly at the imposing logic of Arthur.

“But why did we have to fake our deaths?”

“To add intrigue and mystery. Our deaths will slowly come into doubt and people will start believing that we are the real leaders. This will shield Arthur, Seeker and his group from suspicions.” Lowengren lazily explained as he resigned his tired and helpless body to the table.

“Why did I agree to all of this?” Lowengren started crying.

"Charles, take your team and go to the British Isles. My father has already secured a location for your studies. You won’t be part of our skirmish against Meng. Alakaster Sisters and Douglas, stay for now.”

Charles sighed in relief. Everyone else except Cliff gave an envious stare at Charles and pleaded with their eyes to take them with him.

“Now. Meryl, you were selected by Seeker to be the trainer. Let’s take a look at those Jews and see who can become a part of your elite team.” Arthur motioned.

“Everyone else, continue training. Once you three reach Unbecoming, follow after Charles.” Arthur ordered and started walking out.

Kristine and Lowengren growled in depression. Lynd begrudgingly moved while Cliff smiled and looked at the Alakaster sisters with perverted eyes.

Next chapter on Friday!

Purchase the entire volume 2 for $4.99! (Chapters 56-114)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RL1BM3C

or

https://www.kobo.com/ph/en/ebook/new-game-volume-2

Also, since you've already read volume 1, (chapters 1-55) please rate the books in Kobo and Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM6B88N 

https://www.kobo.com/ph/en/ebook/new-game

10