Chapter 45—Awkward Co-habitation
5.9k 9 149
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello everyone! As you can see, I've finally got myself a Ko-fi account! You can go to https://ko-fi.com/bocchan132 and buy me some delicious coffee as it literally 80% of my blood. Hahahah, I hope that you contribute to my journey, but no pressure to those who can't. I've been writing consistently for 40-something chapters and wont stop now!

 

Chapter 45—Awkward Co-habitation

by Bocchan13

Lan Zhou was true to his word. Bright and early the next day, he followed Song Yu to the vegetable fields to work. Wearing a thin cotton shirt, breeches and boots, he toted a small shovel and gloves, ready for the day’s work.

Wang Cheng, Yu Ci and Lu Jingxiu were already comfortable with the posture and back-breaking work done, so they each took a field and got started. Song Yu had already made holes, all they had to do was put in a few seeds, cover them with dirt and water them afterwards.

Simple. This would be their last spring planting until harvest season, so they had to make enough for the next three months.

Well, THEY weren’t gonna, but Song Yu would.

Song Yu’s focus was on the rice paddy fields. It had taken him a lot of trial and error before he was able to find the perfect ratio of water and acreage. They were about to mature in a month or so, so he had to be extra careful since he didn’t have a water buffalo. Derpy had served as one before and absolutely hated it.

Song Yu took few looks at the fields before coming back to watch as the others worked. Lan Zhou had opted for a field closer to the fruit orchard, which had bloomed a few months prior and was going to make fruits soon. Peaches and apples would be abundant soon.

Song Yu observed Lan Zhou discreetly. He was…extremely alluring. They didn’t have sex last night, but they were sorely tempted this morning when they woke up in each other’s arms. Song Yu, however knew that if he got too used to Lan Zhou (and his body), he would be ruined for anyone else.

Not like you aren’t already

Shut up

Oh, yeah. Blame the voice of reason. C’mon, I’m you remember. I know what you are going to do next. You’re gonna let them stay.

No I’m not!

Yes. Yes you are. And you’re gonna like it.

Damn you.

Lan Zhou wiped his sweat and smiled dazzlingly at Song Yu.

“Song Yu! Look I finished so much already!”

Song Yu looked smiled appreciatively.

He didn’t even put in ¼ of the seeds.

“Awesome job!”

“Song Yu!” Song Yu turned to see Yu Ci, who was already finished with planting the seeds.

“Song Yu, how much dirt should we put back into the hole? Should it be patted down?”

Song Yu moved to Yu Ci’s section, leaving the pouting Lan Zhou behind. Sighing, Lan Zhou continued to put seeds inside.

Song Yu looked at Yu Ci’s seeds, nodding. “It’s good. Put in some damp soil from the side loosely, and then dry soil on top. I have a barrel of dry soil, so sprinkle a handful on top of each pile.”

“Roger!” Yu Ci smiled happily, his vibrant eyes piercing Song Yu’s. Song Yu smiled back and went to observe the others. Yu Ci stood there for a while before patting his heart to calm it down.

“The fairy is handsome today.”

By lunch time, they had all finished putting in seeds. When they got back inside, Lan Zhou was feeling the effects of bending down for so long. Hitting his sore lower back, he followed the rest inside to see Xiao Zi preparing lunch.

“Just in time too. Squinty actually brought some pork bones, so I decided to make a rudimentary pork bone soup with medicinal herbs. Rice is in the cooker and we have leftovers from last night’s dinner. Everyone sighed in relief. They washed up and reconvened at the dining room.

Song Yu had not spent any time in the dining room, usually eating on the kitchen island or the living room. But with the addition of 5 more people, this became impossible. Song Yu was once again at the head of the table, flanked by Lan Zhou and Lu Jingxiu.

Xiao Zi had recovered quite a lot and his bruises had yellowed. Wang Cheng went to help him bring in the dishes whilst Song Yu explained what they were going to do next.

“Yu Ci had already finished most of his field, so if you can...please help the rest of us. The dry dirt is enough for everyone so please divide it equally. We will be done with farming for the time being. Only Yu Ci and Lu Jingxiu should do this since Lan Zhou’s leg must be aching right about now.”

Lan Zhou smiled but didn’t intervene. His leg was more or less healed, and his stomach had scarred and scabbed already.

“Lan Zhou will help with the animals. Xiao Zi has taken care of them thus far, but I need you to help clean the corrals.”

“Okay.”

Song Yu paused.

“When we are done, we have recreational time. I have a few movies downloaded, so we can watch them together…”

Yu Ci smiled happily and Wang Cheng who had heard the last sentence, fist pumped the air.

“Hell yeah!”

The lunch was filled with conversation, Lu Jingxiu asking questions about how he knew so much about agriculture.

“Before the apocalypse, I was in university studying agriculture.”

“So convenient!”

Xiao popped in,

“Wow. So Song Yu, you are probably a few years younger than us. Lan Zhou is 28 this year, and is the second youngest.”

“Youngest?”

“Yep.”

“But, I’ve heard you guys call him ‘Old Lan’ and assumed…”

“It’s an inside joke. Back when Lu Jingxiu joined the group, he mistakenly thought Lan Zhou was the oldest and called him that. He was immediately beaten up afterwards!”

Song Yu squeezed his mouth together to hide a laugh. Lu Jingxiu rolled his eyes in dismay,

“Yeah, not only that but we started calling him that cause he’s an old virg—“

“Aiya! Shut up!”

Lan Zhou put his hands over Song Yu’s ears. Xiao Zi guffawed and puffed out his chest proudly.

“Yeah, I’m actually the oldest!”

Song Yu looked Xiao Zi up and down. No. No way.

“You’re 30?”

Xiao Zi shook his head.

“Nope. I’m actually 31.”

“!!!??”

“Hahhahaha, I was everyone’s senior when they were freshman’s. But I stayed behind an extra 2 years in university for my doctorate, so it checks out.”

“I would have never thought that. Tell me your secrets to youth??”

“Well, you see…”

Lan Zhou listened to their conversation, a small smile cresting his lips. Song Yu seemed to be more at ease with his group; talking and laughing.

“And actually, the youngest is this guy,” Xiao Zi pointed to Lu Jingxiu.

“He’s actually the youngest, he’s 27.”

Song Yu blinked blankly at them. What sorcery is this?

Lu Jingxiu blushed a bit, but didn’t deny it. It was true. Xiao Zi was 4 years older than him; even he couldn’t believe it when he first met him with Lan Zhou and the gang. When he fell in love at first sight, he thought he was a freshman.

“That’s amazing.”

“Yeah. So how old are you? You don’t look a day over 20!”

Song Yu blushed. Albeit being in the sun, his skin still retained some clarity and whiteness. No wrinkles or pimples, and his delicate features could make him look younger.

“I’m actually…24.”

“Ahhhhh, not too old and not too young. Perfect age. You’re four years younger than Lan Zhou then,”

Song Yu nodded.

The rest of the lunch went off splendidly, where they finished cleaning up and headed back outside. The sun was high in the sky, so Song Yu brought out several straw hats for them to wear, and the afternoon wore on into the evening, the fields finally finished and Xiao Zi and Lan Zhou’s corral was cleaned.

Song Yu looked at the sun and beckoned everyone to go back inside. Yu Ci, Wang Cheng and Lu Jingxiu were dead-ass tired, and practically crawled back inside.

“Take a nice shower and relax. I already told Squinty to pick a movie.” Like a ghost, Squinty popped out of the walls, his tongue wagging furiously. Wang Cheng screamed and hid behind Yu Ci.

“Your dog! Your dog!”

Song Yu patted Squinty who circled him happily.

Did you see that? Did you see? That idiot screamed like a little kid!

Song Yu sighed.

“I forgot to mention…that Squinty has an ability.”

“Wow! I’ve only see two other rare animals get abilities. How’d you do it? Is there a way? Squinty and Derpy seems to be sentient!”

Wang Cheng patted Squinty, his enthusiasm apparent.

“…Ummm…I don’t know.”

Wang Cheng nodded, shrugging his shoulders.

“Yeah, Squinty is just special!”

“Bark Bark!”

Damn right I am!

Song Yu left them and went upstairs to take a shower. Once in his room, he stripped his sweat soaked clothes and turned on the shower. Mist filled the bathroom as Song Yu closed his eyes and rubbed his tired shoulders.

He felt a familiar presence close to him; so with his eyes closed, he continued to lather body soap. A warm hand circle his waist. Amidst the mist, he felt an even hotter breath.

“You ignored me for the entire afternoon, and you don’t even want to share a shower?” Song Yu shuddered when the hands traveled up and down his body.

A kiss was pressed against his neck and Song Yu moaned. Breath heaving, he heard Lan Zhou’s deep low chuckle.

“Naughty.”

 

 

 

149