Chapter 67—Into the underground
2.6k 2 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 67—Into the underground

by Bocchan13

They didn’t want to cut the time too short like last night, so when the humid air of the afternoon started to dissipate, they decided to leave N City and come back for another round once again tomorrow. Song Yu and the crew had gotten a lot of things.

It might have been because of the animal zombie and its nocturnal visits, but N City still had an abundance of things. They had traversed through the movie theaters and got some premium seats and sofas from the VIP lounge, some film, and even an operating popcorn machine.

Song Yu tried to find the correct corn species to make popcorn, but was out of luck. Eventually making their way to the large wholesale stores, they really hit the jackpot with food!

Song Yu and Xia Zi were delighted to find coffee beans and seeds! They would have a bigger variety of foods, so Song Yu was quite happy.

Lan Zhou was interested in the fishing equipment and lawnmower. He remembered seeing the gardeners when he was younger, drive it all of the time with gusto.

Lu Jingxiu had the same thought, except his eyes were sparkling at the UV powered ATV. It would be more efficient to ride it while looking after the property.

Lan Zhou didn’t know how big Song Yu’s space was, but every time he asked to put something in, Song Yu did it easily. They might have had almost a whole house worth of items already.

Song Yu didn’t mind it one bit. The items stored in his space purified and came out new, so exercising his space had actually made it bigger than it was in his past life. If measured, it could be around the size of four mansions. Not to mention a small house, if Song Yu wanted; he could take the entire department store with him.

Luckily, they finished finding what they were looking for and decided to head back to the bank. They reconvened at the car and were vigilant once again as they were leaving N City.

“You think the animal will come find us?” Song Yu was driving, but his eyes were staring at the mirror, seeing the sun go down a little lower.

“Not too sure. I’m sure there were a lot of people like us who came in and out. There is still so much stuff in N City, so it’s not hard to imagine what happened to them.”

“Tomorrow’s our last day. We will put as much as we can into the spaces and leave in the afternoon.”

“Roger—“

Before anyone could react, a large rip in the concrete opened up.

Song Yu’s eyes widened as the street they were driving on, turned into a downslope to the darkness below. He pressed the brakes hard before it could go underground. The street started shaking crazily as more and more cracks penetrated the cement.

“It’s a trap!”

Song Yu put the car in reverse as he tried to go back uphill to the surface. But he only made it a few meters before the street suddenly angled higher, preventing Song Yu from going back up. If he tried anymore, the car would just fall in!

With no choice, Song Yu drove straight into the void.

“Everyone, prepare for attacks! Get your flashlights and weapons out!”

Song Yu was slightly shaking as he drove into the darkness. Deep underground, he continued to drive. The underground was made by tunnels, some man-made, and some…done by something else. The size was enormous.

“Check the sensor.”

Xiao Zi turned the sensor on, and saw the large heat waves of the zombies and the big blob that belonged to the animal. Shaking his head, everyone sighed.

“It’s not close to us…so how did the street collapse?”

“It was probably last night. The zombie animal must’ve smelled our scent and the route we came in and out. So he made a hole deep enough for the foundation to plummet. This thing is too fucking smart.”

Wang Cheng took out a map from is space. Using the flashlight, he showed the area to Yu Ci and Lan Zhou.

“I’ve looked at the map for the sewage system in N City. We were on 8th Street, so there is a subway station close by. I suggest we find stop driving and put the car in the space. Find the exit and get back to the surface.”

Everyone agreed. They couldn’t be prepared to fight if all of them were smushed together in a car. Everyone got out and started walking. In order for the car be back in pristine condition, Song Yu put the car in his space.

Wang Cheng checked the map and pinned his flashlight to the man-made sewage tunnel and the freshly made zombie tunnel. Sighing in his heart, he tried to navigate the newly built underground.

“According to the map, we follow that tunnel.” Wang Cheng flashed to a tunnel. Looking at the map and determining the direction, everyone followed.

Keeping vigilance, they slowed down their breaths and made as little noise as possible. The floor was trudged with mud, dirt and more or less zombie juice. Song Yu put on his mask and gave everyone a mask as well.

“You don’t want to be breathing this in.”

They walked for several minutes before the floor turned into the rails they all knew. Sometimes, there were platforms on the sides of the subway, either abandoned stations or maintenance platforms, it served as a deterrent to the gross floor.

“The station should be 20 minutes away.”

The group continued to walk, only whispering a few times to make sure the group was on track, or if there was an *extra ghost accompanying them. It made Song Yu’s goosebumps rise as a feeling of dread poured into him.

“You guys…we haven’t seen a single zombie since we came down here.”

“Are they grouped? Why are they all gone?”

Xiao Zi opened the sensor again, but like before, the zombie blobs were deep on the other side of the city. He showed the screen to everyone.

However, like ants coming out of their nest…the heat wave suddenly bloomed!

“Oh, shit.”

They saw as blobs and blobs of zombies disengaged from the group and run through the tunnels.

“Fuck, they’re coming!”

“They’re coming in the direction of the station. Shit!”

Everyone could see how fast these zombies were. They were definitely not level ones!

“Prepare for battle! Xiao Zi and Wu Ding are in the rear! Lan Zhou and Yu Ci at the front, Song Yu and Lu Jingxiu take care of stragglers. If you see any coming from behind us, let us know!”

“Yes!”

They waited anxiously as the zombie hoard came in. They could hear the groaning and the pitter-patter of feet as they came barreling through the tunnel. Before they could even see them, Lan Zhou manifested his blue flames into a flaming sword. Its bright aura lit the dark tunnel.

A slash of this sword created a large crescent shape as it flew down the tunnel, igniting the darkness with light. Everyone watched the severity of the slash as it barreled through zombie bodies, slicing it in two’s and three’s. It only dissipated after a brief period, but it otherwise decimated enough to give them time.

The floor started trembling as the stampede quickened its pace. A sea of zombies arrived quickly.

Song Yu had never felt so scared. As the leader of a base, he had witnessed the swarms outside of the walls of Paradise Base and its impacts. But now, he was straight into the war zone. Luckily, he understood that these are rather low level and only had basic understanding of things.

“Get ready.” Lan Zhou looked back at Song Yu; a small reassuring smile lit his features. Song Yu took comfort in that and smiled back.

I’m not going anywhere without you.

 

 

 

 

53