Quest 8: Cause A Distraction
94 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, you’re saying we’ll get ten gold pieces to make a scene near a couple of guards? Didn’t you promise it would be twenty? Whatever. It’s a deal.” Nicholas said with an irritated look. He was angry that someone short-changed him, but he knew better than to start a dispute before the mission. Ten gold pieces were more than the team had ever seen. Despite its questionable motives, this job was the most lucrative one offered.

“Good. Here’s half. You’ll get the other half when the job is done.” The thief, Robert, said before disappearing into the crowd. Everyone had gathered for the summer harvest festival, so it was incredibly easy to get lost in the sea of people. Robert planned to make his rounds and subtly steal from every bystander with a big enough coin pouch.

“Now would be a good time for that animal attraction,” Rex said as he looked at Robyn. It was the easiest solution to the given problem. No one on the team was good at getting and maintaining a person’s attention. Robyn could attract several bugs to cause a scene, but she was against the idea.

“What?! No way! Why don’t we just do something stupid then use [Forgettable]?” Robyn replied. She could remember the terror of being chased by a swarm of insects. The feeling of tiny legs crawling over her skin sent shivers down her spine. Attracting animals was the last thing on her mind.

“We can’t keep relying on that skill,” Nicholas said with a sigh. He regretted that fact, but it needed to be pointed out. Not every skill was useful. That was obvious from day one. Those hindering skills only got worse with each level up. It was plain to see why Nicholas wanted to avoid that scenario.

“Why not? I think I’m making an amazing thief.” Xander said, completely missing the point. He was perfectly fine with having the team forget him now and then. In fact, he was even planning to devise a system that constantly reminded them of him.

“Have you considered what’ll happen if that skill’s level gets too high?” Nicholas replied with a condescending expression. Out of all people, he didn’t expect to lecture Xander on his own skill.

“We’d probably forget you for good,” Rex concluded, pointing out the obvious. It didn’t take long for the others to nod in agreement. They all realized the negative consequences involved. [Forgettable] had already leveled up twice. There was no telling when the point of no return would be. It was better to cut off the skill before the team lost a member.

“What?! No one told me that!” Xander exclaimed. He started freaking out over the thought of becoming a living ghost. It was his skill, yet he was the only person to fail at understanding the bigger picture.

“You never considered it? Even I stopped using [Lesser Animal Attraction] to avoid eventually bringing larger animals into town.” Robyn said. She also had a problematic ability, but hers could be activated and deactivated at will. She kept it off at all times to avoid another swarm of insects from attacking the city. If it were any more powerful, Robyn would be chased by wolves and the like. The skill may even attract legendary creatures if she wasn’t careful about its usage. Xander and his livelihood, on the other hand, were at the mercy of the Genesis Program.

“Ah! What am I going to do?! I can’t turn off that skill like you can!” Xander yelled. He didn’t know what he’d do if everyone forgot him. Losing a party meant the jobs he could take would be limited. Not only that, he’d lose his home if the innkeeper ever forgot him. Contractors could forget to pay him. He’d be blinked out of existence, yet remain on the earth to watch it happen.

“What’s going on here?” Guardsman Oliver said while approaching the party. He was dressed in his usual uniform and irritated expression. A spear fit comfortably in his hand, but he had no intention to use it. These people were of no threat to him, though they did bring some fragments of memories.

“Is there an issue?” A woman asked. She was dressed far more exquisitely than Oliver. Her beauty knew no bounds, and the group found themselves entranced for a moment. That was the power of a charismatic paladin. Her words could move people, even without the use of a skill. Fortunately, Paladin Rose was above using such tactics. Her words were always sincere.

“We’re trying to find a way to distract you, so Robert can do his heist,” Rex answered. He blinked several times as he heard what was said. Why would he say that? He shook his head, but the confused expression didn’t leave him.

“NOTICE. YOU HAVE ENTERED THE VICINITY OF A NEARBY [PALADIN]’S PASSIVE SKILL, [ZONE OF TRUTH].”

“I’m sorry?” Paladin Rose asked. She placed her hand on the sword that hung from her hip. Its hilt was expertly wrapped, and a gem rested on the pommel. No one wanted to be on the receiving end of such a weapon. As a [Paladin], she was leagues above everyone present. Considering that the class [Knight] required level fifty to obtain, Rose was likely in the seventies or eighties.

“I apologize. My friend meant to say that a thief is having us help him in a heist.” Nicholas said, stepping between Rex and Rose. He wore his best smile and prepared to talk around any questions. If he couldn’t lie, he’d find a way out of the situation. The team could simply carry on the distraction by extending the conversation.

“Is that so? You do know that if you’re being paid you’ll be considered accomplices.” Paladin Rose said with her hand still above her weapon. She was more than ready to arrest the four in front of her. She’d only come to the city for a certain mission, but people like these needed to be locked away. On the other hand, they seemed weak. Rose wanted to be sure that they weren’t just good people wrapped in with the wrong crowd. If that was the case, she’d shoo them away and pray they corrected their lives.

“Worry not, ma’am. That thief never gave us what he promised. We'll happily leave you to apprehend him.” Nicholas said with a smile.

“ERROR. NOT A TECHNICAL LIE. SAID STATEMENT BYPASSES SKILL [ZONE OF TRUTH]. AS A RESULT, [SMART PEASANT] HAS ACQUIRED THE SKILL [LYING PROFICIENCY V]. THIS SKILL WILL EVOLVE UPON CLASS CHANGE.”

7