Quest 30: Acquire A Verdict
56 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“In light of recent events, I hereby declare the unnamed team innocent of all charges,” Judge Lyons said. He immediately banged his gavel to solidify the statement. The city’s heroes would no longer fear spending their days in a dungeon, for now. They were free to go. Hopefully, their next adventure would result in the death of yet another sin, but that was only wishful thinking. Judge Lyons couldn’t be sure what the future held nor how soon some events would come.

“Wow. That was easy.” Rex said. He was ready for the trial to last several days, if not a week. The crowd that was recently cursing his name changed its tune. They were ready to throw a party for the four. It was somewhat alarming how susceptible the people were to change. They were rather easy to influence with just a few examples. Even if most of them were unbiased, it shouldn’t have been this way. Something was wrong…

“Yeah. I don’t think this is how courts are supposed to work.” Robyn said. She also realized how off everything felt. Not only that, the timing was just right for a certain event. She waved her to her friends, desperately trying to signal a group huddle. They needed to prepare for what was to come. A lingering sensation pulled at the back of her mind like it was yanking her away from her own thoughts.

“Stop talking before he changes his mind,” Nicholas said. He approached his team from where he once stood with Rose. The paladin was also with him, though she was trying to avoid all of the attention. Everyone’s eyes should have been on the unnamed team. They deserved it more than she ever did. There was only one person in a sour mood at this venue.

“This is blasphemy! You’re willing to take the side of a commoner over me?” Baron Niles shouted at the judge. He couldn’t comprehend why he was betrayed. The judge should have been on his side no matter what. What else were his bribes good for? Now, Niles was publicly humiliated after losing a case against amateurs. He’d immediately berate Lyons if it wouldn’t sully his name and risk his title.

“He takes the side of justice, and I happen to agree,” Countess Marisol said. She wasn’t the type to mock others, but it was hard not to in this moment. An arrogant noble got what he deserved. What was not humorous about that? Despite the urge to rub in the team's victory, Marisol restrained herself. It wouldn’t be noble-like to act in such a manner. She refused to stoop to the baron’s level, who was already irate.

“Agree all you want, but direct interference with a court goes against the king’s law. Or, do you intend to go against his word?” Niles said. He rejected the idea that he lost. Someone must have cheated. Yes, it was the countess. No doubt her scheming was an underhanded attempt to replace him with a more subservient baron. She wanted him gone to repeal the laws and taxes that were recently implemented. That had to be it. Well, Niles wouldn’t go down without a fight. He was ready to cry “cheater” until someone listened. Unfortunately, that wouldn’t be easy for him given the circumstances.

“We used the judge you chose. We used an outdoor venue, as per your request. This trial was meant to encompass the events surrounding Pride’s defeat, yet you brought other items to slander the unnamed team’s good name.” Marisol said with downcast eyes. She was taller than the blubbering baron, and her high heels certainly helped her. Cold eyes stared daggers through Marisol’s target. The disgust was clearly visible, even without saying a word. She may have restrained her vocabulary, but her intention and opinion were clear. It was enough to send Niles reeling.

“Well…I…” Niles tried to say. No one had ever looked at him in such a way. He could feel his blood boiling. It frustrated him to no end. He was a noble too. Marisol was simply born into power. There was no way she could comprehend what Niles had done to get where he was. Suddenly, that hatred dulled. Actually, all of his senses dulled. Before Niles knew it, he was on the floor. He’d lost all feeling in his legs. He tried to call for help, but the words wouldn’t escape him.

“You don’t have to throw yourself on the floor over it,” Xander commented. He’d seen children throw tantrums by falling over and crying, so the connection was easy to make. Unfortunately, Xander was completely off the mark on his assumption. He soon realized this when a thud was heard behind him. Everyone present quickly turned to see what had happened. It was a woman. She’d fallen over as well. Then, a man did the same. Soon enough, everyone was collapsing or on the verge of.

“What is…going…” Marisol uttered. Her sentence was cut short when the air left her lungs. A looming sense of exhaustion weighed her down. She dropped to her knees. Each breath became harder, and her vision blurred. It was almost impossible to stay conscious. Her head fell forward, but Rose was swift enough to catch the countess.

“Everyone! Prepare…for…” Rose tried to say. She too was feeling the effects of whatever spell swept the landscape. She gazed at the four who stood above. They were unaffected. A smile appeared on the paladin’s face. She was relieved that people she trusted could watch over her and the others.

“What’s happening to them?” Xander asked. He was beyond bewildered. This wasn’t some coincidence. Something was deliberately putting everyone to sleep. So, what was it? Why wasn’t it affecting Xander and his team? Thankfully, some of the others had a rough idea about the current situation.

“Probably the same thing that happens any time we win something important,” Nicholas said as he gazed up at the sky. He wasn’t sure where Genesis was truly located, but he knew it was the system’s fault. A running theme was becoming obvious to him. Whether by Genesis’s commands or not, something always had to interfere with the team’s progress.

“NOTICE. YOU HAVE ENTERED THE VICINITY OF [SLOTH]. HEALTH, MANA, AND STAMINA WILL SLOWLY REDUCE UNTIL THE USER’S EXPIRATION.”

“But, we haven’t caused any errors lately! This isn’t fair!” Robyn said. She quickly pulled up her status screen. Sure enough, the three stated values were decreasing at a constant rate. Judging by the amount dropped, the team probably could withstand [Sloth]’s effects for a day or so. The same couldn’t be said for the numerous people currently lying face down on the streets.

“At this point, it doesn’t matter. Two are gone, so the other five are probably on the hunt.” Rex said with a sigh. Even if the team could survive, they weren’t the type of people to evacuate at the expense of other lives. Rex and his team would need to find Sloth and eliminate them before anyone died. The fate of the city rested in their hands. The four nodded to each other in agreement and prepared for the upcoming battle.

Genesis, as always, was more than willing to add to the dire situation.

“NOTICE. YOU HAVE ENTERED THE VICINITY OF [LUST]. CLARITY OF THOUGHTS AND RATIONAL BEHAVIOR HAS BEEN REDUCED.”

5