Quest 34: Commission A Blacksmith
49 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’d like new gear for the upcoming tournament?” Linn asked. She always made sure to reconfirm what was asked of her before moving on. Clients were always fickle, especially if they resided within the lower levels. New adventurers never knew what they really wanted until they completed several quests. As a lesser-known blacksmith, Linn always dealt with those types of people. Fortunately, her current customers were reliable consumers.

“Pretty much. Our old gear is weak compared to our current stats, and I figured we could use the best blacksmith in town to help.” Rex said. He made sure to throw in that last part with extra emphasis. The team was currently struggling with a drought in the financial department. Bounties hadn’t been paid for the sins they defeated due to some regulations and a future ceremony that was to be held in their honor. No one could reject the king’s request to hold a banquet, but the team would have preferred an immediate monetary reward.

“Don’t brown-nose. Just give me the job.” Linn said. She understood the situation The Unnamed Team was in. It was hard not to feel sorry for them. Just this once, she considered offering a reduced price. It was the least she could do after everything they’d done to protect her hometown. Plus, she wanted to make up for her pitiful performance at the recent trial.

“Here are the materials. We got them from Sean, the merchant, at a reduced cost.” Nicholas said with a smile. He was lying but refused to show it. Thankfully, Linn wasn’t able to catch onto that fact. It would have been difficult to explain that the team actually took these goods from the merchant. The act wasn’t particularly complicated given Xander’s skill to be forgotten and Robyn’s skill to manipulate people. Of course, the team was more than willing to pay back what was owed after they received their payment from the king.

Everyone produced their own set of stolen items. Various metals and cloths lined the countertop. Some animal pelts were thrown in for good measure, and the team’s previous gear was offered to be upcycled. At the moment, the four were only wearing simple clothing that they often used as pajamas. They felt exposed without their gear, but this was for the betterment of the team. Each person detailed what they wanted, and Linn immediately got to work.

Of course, Rex was also dragged into the workshop to help expedite the process. The two worked tirelessly while the remaining team members casually meandered around the main room. They checked the standard weapons for sale and full suits of armor. All three of them were impressed with the level of craftsmanship, especially at Rex’s [Blessed Blade]. Time went by relatively quickly, and the job was done within the day. Genesis had a hand in forging everything at such an alarming speed without sacrificing quality.

The team decided to take turns changing their equipment in the workshop because there were no other rooms close by. Everyone was able to model their armor before a round of applause began. Then, the next person would be allowed to go. Despite having shared a jail cell, tavern room, and bathroom ever since forming the team, Linn watched the men closely as Robyn changed. She brandished an oversized dagger that she was especially proud of to ward off any attempted peeks, which the men weren’t interested in doing even without the proxy warden.

Rex was the first to change and show off his new gear. He wore ring mail armor that he made himself. He was proud that he managed to sew each metal ring into the leather armor, and the increased defense was immediately noticed. Sheathed at his hip was his trusty [Blessed Blade]. Covering his off-hand was a wooden shield with an outer metal edge. His other advanced creation was the [Steel Rod] that hung from his hind belt loops. While he did have a real weapon now, Rex wanted to keep the rod in case of emergencies.

Nicholas was next to emerge from the workshop. He wore standard leather armor that offered moderate protection. Given his class restrictions, he knew he’d be closer in a fight despite being a caster, so he chose this armor rather than something lighter. Weapons weren’t necessary for magic users, but he wasn’t naive enough to leave without one. A wand was preferred yet costly. The team could only afford a simple iron dagger, which worked well enough.

Xander came out in apparel that made him stick out from the others. He was dressed in padded armor, consisting of multiple layers of clothing and batting. The protection it offered was minimal, so calling it armor was a bit of a stretch. Fortunately, this wasn’t an issue. Xander needed his gear to be lightweight and not restrict his movements. Together with his improved short bow, he looked like an exemplary archer.

Robyn was the last to show off her gear. She wore hide armor that was mostly unprocessed. The armor was made from an array of animals, mostly rabbits, wolves, and a bear. Alone, this wouldn’t have been anything special. Robyn would have had the weakest armor due to the lack of any treating or forging techniques. This is where her genius shined bright. Robyn was using the hides from animals she enhanced with her skill. The same could be said about her sickle made of a large rib bone. Thanks to the smart use of her skill, Robyn’s gear skyrocketed to the top spot of the team’s current layout.

With everyone present, they all took a second to look at each other. Then, a single emotion blanketed the room. It was as if they all realized the same thing at the same time.

“What’s the matter?” Linn said. She was the only person without a sour face. Of course, she couldn’t have known how they felt. She was still wearing her old and comfortable clothes. None of the four team members realized how much would be changed. Tailoring may have existed in this world, but it costed money that they couldn’t afford at the moment. A silent wave of regret washed over them as they thought about how this could have been avoided. They all tugged at their armor and loosened their bodies to lessen the uncomfortable feeling in sensitive areas.

If only they had taken measurements sooner.

3