Quest 67: Heal A Wound
30 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Does it hurt?” Robyn asked. She felt awful for her friend. It wasn’t rare to receive injuries. Adventurers got them all of the time. The job was dangerous. Fights were a common occurrence, so wounds were par for the course. Given the team’s track record, they skewed a bit higher than most teams in regards to the average number of injuries. Even so, they didn’t like when it happened, especially when it could have been avoided.

“No, it feels lovely. Yes, it hurts!” Rex said. He flailed in an exaggerated manner, but the pain that shot through him quickly ended the act. Out of all the people on the team, it wasn’t surprising to see that Rex was the one who was hurt. He was the team’s frontline. All damage was typically directed at him. It was why he carried a shield. It was why he wore heavier armor. All signs pointed to him being injured the most, but he was still bitter about the circumstances.

“I’m really sorry,” Xander said. He felt rather guilty. As someone in the backline, he should have seen the danger coming. Normally, no one would blame him for missing something in the heat of battle, but this particular case was the result of Xander's wrongdoing. It was why his worry lingered. A mistake like this hadn’t happened in a long time. The Unnamed Team should have been well beyond mistakes like these. It was the main reason Rex was in such a bitter mood.

“Not another word out of you,” Rex said with narrow eyes. He didn’t even look at Xander. His gaze was fixated on the ceiling above him as he rested on his bed. It was the only position he could take without agitating his wound. He’d need either a doctor or a fast-acting potion to remedy the issue. His health wasn’t going down to a critical level, but high health and moderate defenses didn’t completely negate the pain. Rex’s breathing was still heavy, and he was visibly pale. Thankfully, the others haphazardly dressed the injury to remove that bleeding status effect, but medical attention was needed to heal him any further.

“Alright, let’s all calm down,” Nicholas said. The situation was getting out of hand. This wasn’t the time to place blame. Some members already felt guilty enough. Dragging out the argument would only hinder the team. It was just an accident. One that could be fixed relatively quickly if they had the proper resources. Before long, The Unnamed Team would be back up and running. They could even spend the rest of the day relaxing if that was what Rex wanted. Of course, that sort of rational thinking was reserved for the people who weren’t on their back with a crippling injury.

“Calm down? Calm down?! I have an arrow sticking out of my leg!” Rex said. He moved his hands to gesture at the arrow sticking out of his thigh. Once again, pain shot through him from the over-dramatic motion. This was the source of the team’s turmoil. Xander's misplaced shot found its way into his teammate’s leg and left the team’s main physical attacker on the ground. Thankfully, the team somehow managed to survive their fight with the monster. Once the quest was complete, they dragged Rex back to his room in The Feral Tomcat and tried their best to heal him. No one on the team had healing skills, and they were out of potions. This left them with only one option.

“And Eins is running over to grab you a potion,” Robyn said. The Demon Slime was easily the fastest member of the group. They were also the strongest, which was the only reason The Unnamed Team survived their encounter without Rex. Eins dashed out of the tavern once Rex was safe and promised to return with something to heal him. The others were left to ease his pain and stop the bleeding. They all knew better than to simply rip out the arrow without proper medical aid close by. A potion would have been able to seal the wound quickly, so that’s what they were waiting for.

“It’ll be a minute, so let us know if you need anything,” Nicholas said. The team had done all that they could aside from getting a doctor. That task was also left up to Eins, but they all preferred to have a potion. It would have been too embarrassing to explain what had happened given their status as heroes, and potions were significantly cheaper than doctors. Plus, the team needed to resupply their stock of the magical healing items anyway.

“I need this arrow out of me and in Mister No Name over there,” Rex said. He flicked his finger toward Xander. It was the only gesture he could make that wouldn't worsen his pain. His subtle wink was missed by all but Nicholas. It was clear what needed to be done.

“Right, random guy, get out of our room,” Nicholas said with a smile. This joke never got old for them. To be fair, no joke ever got old for this group of friends. Xander’s consistent reactions were the sole reason they continued it. The only way it could be any better was if everyone got involved.

“Yeah. Beat it, weirdo,” Robyn said. Her smile was less out of enjoyment and more of sympathy. It wasn’t right to constantly tease Xander over the skill that he had no control over, but even she found it funny that he somehow managed to let it reach its max level. Still, she knew what it was like to be helpless to one’s own power. That was why she rarely joined in on the joke unless she was in the right mood or it needed to be done.

“Why am I friends with you three?” Xander said. He pinched his brow and turned around. Quick steps took him to the room's door, but it opened before he could do anything. The wooden barrier crashed into him with an absurd amount of force. It probably would have shattered if the hit were any stronger. There was only one person who was both that powerful and inconsiderate.

“Oh, good. You’re all here.” Eins said. They dropped a bag on the ground and slowly started taking out various items. None of it looked like a potion. Various herbs, minerals, and products lined the wooden floor. The Unnamed Team stared at the Demon Slime with confused expressions.

“What are you doing?” Rex asked. He was especially worried because Eins’s task was the only thing that could heal him.

“I had to run around town to get the materials. None of the shops had potions, so I got what we needed to make a potion.”

2