Quest 72: Form A Plan
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wow. The Demon King, huh? Going after the big man himself. Got to say, I didn’t think you’d have it in you.” Lust said. She and Gluttony entered The Feral Tomcat not long after The Heroes of The Voice left. With two different goals, there was little for the two teams to talk about. They could only wish each other the best and go their separate ways. It was unclear if they would ever see each other again after the final mission, so they all gave long hugs and toasted with mugs of ale one last time. The end of the Genesis Program was closing in, and no one could predict what would happen then.

“What can you tell us about him?” Xander asked. Time was of the essence. The Unnamed Team needed every bit of help they could get. Compared to the Demon King, they were under-leveled, ill-equipped, and outnumbered. Fighting through a horde of demons would have been hard enough. Now, they had to worry about someone even stronger than the seven sins. Rash planning and haphazard attacks would fail long before the team reached their target. They needed to know everything about him, down to the smallest detail.

“You expect us to betray our boss? The demon above all other demons? The strongest being on this plane that could fight the archangels and gods if he wanted to?” Gluttony asked. The request wasn’t surprising, but it could have been handled better. It was obvious that The Unnamed Team needed all the help they could get. That much was a given. The only issue was that both Gluttony and Lust were still the Demon King’s subordinates. Despite losing their sin skills, they retained their titles and positions of authority within the demon army. Essentially, they were being asked to commit treason on the highest level.

“Well-” Robyn tried to say. There had to be some sort of explanation she could give to convince the sins to betray their own race. Her mind spiraled as it desperately looked for an answer. Fortunately, the sins were much easier to handle than the team anticipated.

“Don’t worry. We’ll help.” Lust said. She put her hand up as if to stop whatever explanation was heading her way. She and Gluttony had already spoken to each other about what they’d do in this scenario. After much deliberation, it was decided that they would help The Unnamed Team. Of course, that help could only go so far. The two sins could provide simple advice, but actively revolting against their own kin was out of the question. It would be wrong to go against the wishes of the man that made them who they were.

“Really?” Rex asked with an astonished expression. He and the others expected a lot more resistance. There weren’t many good arguments to be made, so the team was prepared to do a great amount of begging. That was why the immediate response was so mind-boggling. Of course, it was better than lowering themselves to the ground and pleading, but they wanted to know why it was this easy.

“Yeah. I mean, it’s not like the current Demon King is the guy that gave us our sin skills and our lives purpose. That guy died a long time ago.” Lust said. She shrugged her shoulders as if what she said was common knowledge, but it caught the team off guard. None of them were aware that there had been multiple Demon Kings. Demons lived a long time, and holding such a grand title meant that he was the strongest in the world. If someone managed to slay him, they’d also be unstoppable titans that walked the earth. Morbid curiosity took hold of the team. They had to know who was responsible for the last king’s demise.

“Other heroes like us?” Nicholas asked cautiously. He wasn’t sure how delicate the topic was. They were talking about the man all sins idolized. Even most demons preferred him over the current Demon King. It was hard to judge what questions were off-limits, so Nicholas simply dove off the deep end by asking about the previous king’s death. He braced for the worst but was pleasantly surprised by the response.

“Don’t flatter yourself. No one could have killed Demon King Chris. He just died of old age.” Gluttony said with a condescending tone. What Nicholas said was almost laughable. It was ridiculous to think that anyone could kill the previous king. The notion wasn’t even worth getting upset over. It was such a farfetched idea that most humans would consider it outlandish. No hero from any era came close to the level of power that man possessed. All armies of the world could have joined forces for a massive assault, and they’d still fail to eliminate their target. It was likely that only a warrior chosen by the gods, or something stronger, could stand a chance against Demon King Chris. Thankfully, The Unnamed Team didn’t have to. They were facing his successor.

“Interesting. I was under the impression that demons lived long lives.” Eins said. It was the main issue bothering them. Demons were typically thought to live past thousands of years. This goes without mentioning the fact that demons rarely died of old age if at all. They often had to be killed by heroes, angels, or other demons. In fact, the average age of currently living demons was significantly lower than normal because of a group of heroes that walked the earth several hundred years prior. Those heroes, whose names were lost in history, dropped the population to a dangerously low percentage. It was the reason why the sins were as relatively young as they were and why general demon activity was at an all-time low.

“We do, but he wasn’t-” Lust tried to explain, but she was cut off.

“We’re getting off track. How do we kill the current Demon King?” Robyn asked. She didn’t want the discussion to get any more sidetracked than it already was. Learning about the previous Demon King was enlightening, but The Unnamed Team was tasked with slaying the current king. They still knew nothing about him. All they currently knew was that he was strong enough to receive such an honorable title and had a significant reputation to uphold.

“Oh, that’s easy. Get to him before he gets to you. The guy plans out almost everything to the fullest extent. If you give him too much time, he’ll crush you.” Gluttony said. She sighed after giving her advice as if it bothered her. Memories started to flood about how the Demon King forced her and the other sins to stand down and await orders. Those orders always took an incredible amount of time to arrive, and they were excruciatingly detailed once they did. Of course, no fully planned operation failed, but the process was tedious.

“That’s the dumbest-” Nicholas started to say before being interrupted.

“Sounds good to me. Let’s gear up and head out!” Rex shouted as he rose from the table. They had no time to waste.

2