31. A Start Of Summer
1.6k 4 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Days have turned into weeks, weeks have turned into months, time goes on even though sometimes it feels fast and sometimes feels slow, and that is how life work where we cannot walk back and must keep moving forward.

This is the end of June. Spring has ended, and has been replaced with summer. It was felt even more when the sound of wind chimes was heard because of the light breeze during the day, as well as the sound of crickets accompanying the silent night.

The sun's rays now also feel more intense, the heat can be felt even in the morning, and during the day, it will feel like roasting if you go out without any headgear. Temperatures in the morning can even reach 22°C, while midday can reach 27°C. And that will continue to rise over time until midsummer.

That's why most of the people always complain about summer. Especially at the beginning of the season, which is the transitional period from 'natsu', which causes the air to become more humid and it often rains.

"I hate summer...."

And Misaki was one of those people.

The reason she complains about summer is because her skin is sensitive to temperature. She doesn't like places that are too hot or cold. So, summer can be said to be one of her mortal enemies.

"Ahh, come on Saki-chan. Don't hate summer so much, everything will be fun later!"

Sakura said to encourage Misaki. As usual, she was a person with a burning soul.

"It's only the start of summer, but you look exhausted."

Shinomiya on the other hand was fanning Misaki who looked like she was about to melt.

"Just to you know, I get sick easily at the start of the season, so I probably won't be going to school that much."

Misaki said in a tired tone.

It's not for nothing that she hates summer. At the beginning of the season there will be rain which makes it easy for her to get a fever, and that is quite hindering her activities. And if it wasn't regular rain, then it would be a thunderstorm. And she hates lightning, no, it's easier to say that she is afraid of the sound and lightning of thunder. It was clear the reason was because she died from a lightning strike in her past life. It still left a trauma in her head.

Plok...

"Ouch!"

Misaki's head was hit by Shinomiya lightly and left a cute sound.

"Don't say that. It's like you wishing yourself to happen."

She said.

But Misaki still looked pessimistic.

"Huft, I'm saying this because I've experienced it so many times, so----kyaah!"

A sudden cold was felt from her cheeks which made Misaki startled.

"Hehe, surprised?"

It was Endou who quietly came behind her and pressed a cold soda drink to Misaki's cheek.

"Endou! Stop surprising me."

Misaki was about to hit his chest but Endou dodged it easily.

"Eiii, not hit."

Endou smiled as he seductive her.

Misaki just sighed at his behavior and sat back down. She was too tired to serve him due to the heat.

Endou felt a little disappointed that he failed to seduce Misaki.

"Well, it's not like I can't tease her on other day."

Endou said to encourage himself.

"Hou, can you repeat what you said earlier?"

A voice with killing intent came out from behind. Endou, moved his head stiffly while facing the voice.

"W-Well, I mean, you know Kazuto-san..."

"What did you do to my sister, huh!"

Endou was not given a chance to speak as his body was immediately locked by Kazuto.

"Kuaakk! K-Kazuto, I can explain, f-first let me go because my bones feel like they're going to broke!! M-Misaki, help me!!"

Misaki ignored the commotion of the two of them and sat down with her friends.

"Just ignore them."

Sakura and Shinomiya who were used to this situation nodded in agreement.

"By the way, what are you guys going to do on summer vacation?"

Sakura asked.

"We haven't even had an exam yet and you asked that?"

"That's right, you should study harder Sakura-chan, because you are the most unreliable when it comes to studying."

"Keuk!"

Hearing the piercing words of Misaki and Shinomiya made Sakura pull out her spirit. She is not good at studying, and her grades are even mediocre and are in the red line. If it wasn't for Shinomiya who often to help her to study, she would always be in trouble.

"But if we're talking about vacation, maybe Onii-chan and I will go to grandpa and grandma's house in the countryside after few day holiday start."

Misaki said.

"I don't have anything special to do during the summer."

"Me too."

Hearing that her two friends had no plans for the summer made Misaki's eyes light up.

"Well, how about we go to the beach later?"

Advice her.

"Well, I don't mind anyway."

Shinomiya agreed easily.

"Beach, eh? I'm really looking forward to it!"

And of course Sakura too. Misaki became happy about it.

"By the way, I intend to sell some books later at a bazaar held in the park near my house after the rains have passed. Would you like to help?"

"Sure."

"I didn't really mind."

Misaki was grateful to have good friends like them, so she didn't realize she was smiling widely.

Reincarnation is the best thing!! She cried in her heart.

"Keukkk! I-I give up Kazuto!!"

Meanwhile, Kazuto and Endou were still wrestling on the side.

"Since we're good friends, I'll just break your arm, wait until that happens then I'll let go. How about that, are you happy?"

Kazuto said without emotion.

“'Thank you Kazuto-san for your kind heart', there's no way I can say that!! Besides, what kind of good friend that will breaks his own friend's arm!!?”

Endou replied with a stukkomi.

"It's going to be a tiring summer."

Misaki said sighing while looking at her best friend and ex-herself who was wrestling.

Despite saying that, she couldn't wait for the upcoming summer vacation.

.....

Tring.....!!!!!!!!!!

Srrrrrrrrrrrr......

The sound of raindrops hitting the ground accompanied with sound of the school bell.

"Ahh, I'll definitely have a fever..."

Said Misaki who was in front of the school entrance.

She had previously forgotten to check the news about today's weather, which made her not bring an umbrella. Kazuto didn't take it with him either, and by now he must be training at the basketball club.

Especially....

"Even though it was clear this afternoon."

She complained. If she had known this, it was obvious ahe would have brought an umbrella.

"I have to go home soon, otherwise my books will get wet."

The reason she was so critical was because she had forgotten to close the window in the room where her book collection was kept. She was sure the water would come in, and would make the books she put around there wet.

Srrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Misaki became a little hesitant to go home when the rain was getting heavier. She was afraid that there would be a lightning strike that will come in the rain when she tried to go home. If that happened, then her body would just stiffen on the streets because the lightning was too terrifying for her.

"Ahh, forget it. Whatever happens, my book is more important!"

Misaki exclaimed to make up her mind, and ran through the rain.

She could feel her body temperature slowly dropping as she more wet from the raindrops.

Because Misaki often to jogs, she can run fast. At this rate, she could quickly get to her house soon.

However.

"Ouch!"

She tripped over something that made her fall on the pavement. Because of that, her knee became injured and bleeding.

"Kugh... This isn't much."

Misaki didn't want to cry over the small wound (yet), and continued to run.

"I am home!"

She was able to get home without any problems after that.

By the way, both of her parents had gone abroad again to work, so no one answered her greetings.

Misaki who was wet, went upstairs without drying herself, and entered the room beside her bed.

And sure enough. When she entered, the floor she was standing on was soaked with water. The books on the shelf by the open window were also wet.

"Ahh! This is bad!"

Misaki immediately closed the windows. Then she took the mop and cleaned the wet floor, after that she dried herself with a towel and changed her clothes.

"Aw...it hurts more than I expected.."

Misaki said with a grimace on her face as she cleaned the wound on her knee.

It was more painful than she thought, but she held it in as she continued to clean the wound so it wouldn't get infected.

Finished with that, she had to clean up the mess she made where she also wet the floor due to climbing straight up without drying herself before. After that, she returned to the library with a hairdryer to dry the wet books.

"I hope I don't have a fever, I hope I don't have a fever, I hope I don't have a fever...."

Misaki kept muttering and praying to herself that she wouldn't catch a fever.

The chances of het catching a fever from the rain were very high, so there was no point in praying. But her wish and hope for that not to happen made her mutter like that.

"Well, the answer can only come tomorrow anyway..."

Time passed until dinner was about to arrive. But the heavy rain still hasn't subsided, which made Misaki worried.

"That Kazuto... I hope he comes home without getting wet in the rain or keep in the school and wait rain to stop."

She muttered as she looked out the window.

But the rain itself doesn't seem to stop for today.

She hoped that Kazuto would at least buy an umbrella on the way back here if he tried to go home by now.

....

"..."

But her wish didn't come true, as she looked at Kazuto whose clothes had been soaked by the rain, and was standing in front of the entrance.

"I am home."

Kazuto said while scratching his wet head.

Misaki, who thought she had guessed this, sighed and handed him the towel she was carrying.

"Welcome. Please put your clothes on the laundry rack, and take a shower there before dinner."

"Okay ma'am."

Because Misaki's words were similar to their mother's, Kazuto called her that in a joking tone. Moreover, she was still wearing her apron.

Misaki reacted by hitting him once.

"Stop kidding and just dry yourself first."

Kazuto giggled a little before nodding. But his brows furrowed as he looked down at his knees.

"What happened to your knee?"

"Ohh, I fell down because I was a little careless. Don't worry too much, I cleaned it so it doesn't get infected."

Misaki replied while looking at her own knees.

"Be more careful next time."

Kazuto said as he patted hher head.

".....Onii-chan, your hands are still wet."

"Oops."

Kazuto got his second hit after that. This time on his face.

They had dinner after that, and enjoyed watching TV together. At least it seemed so, because Misaki was reading her book while sitting on the sofa, and only Kazuto was watching TV.

"Weather for the week ahead, rainfall will be high and during the day is..."

Kazuto was watching the weather broadcast with a pensive face.

"Hmm, I'd better start bringing the umbrella tomorrow...."

Tarrrr!!!

"!!!"

Kazuto's mutter was cut off when the sound of thunder come.

Misaki herself jumped in surprise and threw her book away, then entered Kazuto's arms with a frightened face.

"Pfft, isn't it too childish to be afraid of lightning?"

Kazuto asked giggling. Since childhood, Misaki has always been afraid of lightning. So, whenever there is rain accompanied by lightning, he is always approached by her, and comes to ask for a hug to out of her fear. Even so, seeing her sister like this made her look cute.

"B-But, that voice you know, it's too scary!!"

Misaki replied who still couldn't shake off her trauma.

It's because you've never been hit by lightning yourself, so you don't know anything!! Misaki shouted at Kazuto in her heart.

She glared at Kazuto with a sullen face for not knowing her predicament.

Tarrrrr!!!!

But her expression hardened again when she heard the second thunderbolt, and hugged Kazuto even tighter.

Seeing her like that made Kazuto stroke her head gently.

"No need to be afraid, your brother is here."

"S-Shut up, a-and don't leave me...."

Kazuto only shifted his body slightly, but Misaki thought that he would leave her, which made her hold him tighter so he wouldn't let go.

Kazuto laughed wryly at his sister's act and words.

"No, I won't."

Kazuto said.

"I will never leave your side."

He added with a gentle face.

They didn't move and continued in that position until the rain stopped.

49